Covid-19 lockdown - the positives

whelk

I enjoy working from home and I've become much more efficient.

I've improved my IT skills drastically and learned to fend for myself rather than rely on staff.

I've been much more connected with friends and family.

I've been able to sit down every day to have dinner with my wife and little one. I've even had time able to cook.

I've realised that I don't need a gardener, and that gardening is actually OK.

Not being able to get out to shops has made me think about whether I need something or just want it.

I've become more grateful for everything I have.

Leftie loons have stopped talking about brexit.

Clearly I know loonier, leftier lefty loons than you. One of them was sharing a petition to get the transition process extended as if a) We haven't got more important stuff to worry about and b) That hadn't occurred to anyone in the government anyway.

Clearly I know loonier, leftier lefty loons than you. One of them was sharing a petition to get the transition process extended as if a) We haven't got more important stuff to worry about and b) That hadn't occurred to anyone in the government anyway.

Guess you do, most I know are now screaming 12000 HAVE DIED AND ITS ALL THE TORIES FAULT on social media

Positives....

The newspaper industry is on its knees.

From The Mail to the Guardian. Not relevant anymore

And you hate the BBC. Where do you get your news from in the future? Angry people on Twitter?

Positives....

The newspaper industry is on its knees.

From The Mail to the Guardian. Not relevant anymore

The virus looks like it is accelerating the inevitable death of the newspaper industry but I don't see how that is particularly positive.

Personally I am looking forward to buying a Sunday Times this morning as their investigation into the government's early (non) response to the virus sounds like a great story. Literally "the first draft of history".

The virus looks like it is accelerating the inevitable death of the newspaper industry but I don't see how that is particularly positive.

Personally I am looking forward to buying a Sunday Times this morning as their investigation into the government's early (non) response to the virus sounds like a great story. Literally "the first draft of history".

I really wish I liked a newspaper enough to buy one. Can't give Murdoch any of my money. The Guardian is just too smug. The Mail and the Express aren't even newspapers. What's left? The Mirror? The Star?

Despite that pretty much all papers at some point or another have some amazing investigative journalism. If happily pay a small fee to read an article on line but don't want to subscribe to their websites or have to buy a paper every day to pick through a load of old tosh to find the odd good story.

The only thing I actually buy is Private Eye.

I really wish I liked a newspaper enough to buy one. Can't give Murdoch any of my money. The Guardian is just too smug. The Mail and the Express aren't even newspapers. What's left? The Mirror? The Star?

Despite that pretty much all papers at some point or another have some amazing investigative journalism. If happily pay a small fee to read an article on line but don't want to subscribe to their websites or have to buy a paper every day to pick through a load of old tosh to find the odd good story.

The only thing I actually buy is Private Eye.

I know what you mean. I buy The Times on a Saturday every week and then the Sunday Times most weeks (especially now there's not much else to do). Always plenty to read and some excellent reporting and opinion/analysis. I'm one of a dying breed of people who like to hold a paper in their hands, and I will miss them when they're gone.

Was a Guardian buyer for 20 odd years and used to love the Observer but as you say they became too smug and infuriating and too London centric. Still read digitally now, though so I remain forever Guardian reader - the smug elements are easy to avoid that way.

Beyond that there are no other papers I would buy - the only point of disagreement would be to lump the Express and Mail together. The Express is drivel, just re-heated press releases, PA copy and churnalism headlines. The Mail has its unsavoury and horrible, hateful elements but does still invest in journalism and actual original content and always has. Let's not talk about Mail online which is horrific and I cannot defend.

Like you I am a long time Private Eye subscriber and it's great.

Another thing about British newspapers is (cont. p94)

Fair point about the Mail. They do have some worthy journalism, pity it's hidden amongst outraged moral panics and obsession with the Royals. Yes, the Mail Online is horrible click bait drivel and the comments section is the cesspool of the internet.

We used to get the Sunday Times years back. Mainly for the Culture section which had some great content and to laugh at whatever twaddle Michael Winner was coming out with.

The Guardian was the last paper we regularly bought but stopped that about 4 years ago. I do feel guilty about not buying one and wish the Daily Echo was a proper campaigning local paper rather than a cut and paste disaster zone written by 3 journalists who barely leave their desk because I'd happily buy that if it was.

• 2 weeks later...