What is your World XI?

The Kraken

This is doing the rounds at the moment.

Pick your greatest World XI under these rules:

- No two players from the same country.

- No two players can have played for the same club.

- All eleven must have played in your lifetime.

GK - Higuita

CB - Aldiar

CB - Van Dijk

CB - Maldini

CM - Gascoigne

CM - Maradona

CM - Matthaus

CM - David Silva

FW - Mbappe

FW - Drogba

FW - C. Ronaldo

probably a cock up in there somewhere!

Edited by Batman

GK - Schmeichel

CB - Aldiar

CB - Van Dijk

CB - Maldini

CM - Gascoigne

CM - Maradona

CM - Matthaus

CM - David Silva

FW - Mbappe

FW - Drogba

FW - C. Ronaldo

probably a cock up in there somewhere!

A cock up like Schmeichel and Ronaldo both having played for United?

ffs, of course....will edit

That was a dilemma I had, Van basten and Maldini are two of my favourite players ever but due to both playing for AAC Milan could only have one. My original team had Ramos and Zidane (both played for real) and shilton and Mcgrsth who both played for derby.

Cech

Srna

Kompany

Maldini

Chivu

Le Tissier

Makelele

Xavi

Giggs

Lewandowski

Rebrov

VAR check please. Been watching since the early 2000s but I’m sure there are a couple of better options I could have picked. Much harder than it looks; I went for the best one club wonders I could think of (Maldini, Tiss, Xavi, Giggs). Rebrov was the best I could think of who didn’t conflict with the other players. Went through loads of players in my head and every time ended up conflicting with someone else.

Edit: f**k, Makélélé and Cech doesn’t work. Let me think...

Edited by Lighthouse

Cech

Srna

Kompany

Maldini

Chivu

Le Tissier

Makelele

Xavi

Giggs

Lewandowski

Rebrov

VAR check please. Been watching since the early 2000s but I’m sure there are a couple of better options I could have picked. Much harder than it looks; I went for the best one club wonders I could think of (Maldini, Tiss, Xavi, Giggs). Rebrov was the best I could think of who didn’t conflict with the other players. Went through loads of players in my head and every time ended up conflicting with someone else.

Fail. Czech and maker birth played for Chelsea

Fail. Czech and maker birth played for Chelsea

Yeah, spotted as I was double checking. Okay...

Buffon

Srna

Kompany

Van Dijk

Roberto Carlos

Pires

Gerrard

Xavi

Giggs

Lewandowski

Shevchenko

I don’t know if it’s legal, it’s certainly better.

People picking Van Dijk as one of the best ever :lol:

Have a go, it’s really hard, you have to leave out quite a few obvious choices. Look at my team No way is Packie Bonner even in the 50 best keepers of all time but to fit into the country and no clash of club you have to have a few odd ones for it to work.

Yeah, spotted as I was double checking. Okay...

Buffon

Srna

Kompany

Van Dijk

Roberto Carlos

Pires

Gerrard

Xavi

Giggs

Lewandowski

Shevchenko

I don’t know if it’s legal, it’s certainly better.

Van dojo and Gerard both at Liverpool

I’m fairly sure you’ll find a few players on these lists that aren’t the best ever. That’s kind of the idea.

oh, and :lol:

Quite. It’s interesting that Kompany makes a lot of teams I’ve said, food but not great. Yet I’ve not seen the likes of Fat Ronaldo, figo, Weah, Eto, Platini, Inesiesta, Baresi, Buffon make anyone’s.

Quite. It’s interesting that Kompany makes a lot of teams I’ve said, food but not great. Yet I’ve not seen Brilliant players the likes of Fat Ronaldo, figo, Weah, Eto, Platini, iniesta, Baresi, Buffon make anyone’s.

Apart from Buffon in lighthouses :)

Quite. It’s interesting that Kompany makes a lot of teams I’ve said, food but not great. Yet I’ve not seen the likes of Fat Ronaldo, figo, Weah, Eto, Platini, Inesiesta, Baresi, Buffon make anyone’s.

Wipes out both Milan teams and both Spanish giants, almost impossible to get him in. Likewise Eto'o - Both Spanish giants, Chelsea and Inter. CR7 takes out three of the world's best teams as well.

Buffon not too hard, left him out of my first attempt because Makelele was also at PSG.

Wipes out both Milan teams and both Spanish giants, almost impossible to get him in. Likewise Eto'o - Both Spanish giants, Chelsea and Inter. CR7 takes out three of the world's best teams as well.

Buffon not too hard, left him out of my first attempt because Makelele was also at PSG.

Exactly. Just making the point It’s not going to be a worlds best ever XI because some brilliant players can’t get in because you can only choose one from Barcelona, real, the great Milan teams, Man U, juventus etc.

Exactly. Just making the point It’s not going to be a worlds best ever XI because some brilliant players can’t get in because you can only choose one from Barcelona, real, the great Milan teams, Man U, juventus etc.
I tried to put Thierry Henry in to start with...

But that wipes out all other French, Juventus, Arsenal, Monaco, Barcelona players.

Not happening!

I think the key is 'loyal' players from mediocre countries, which makes Kompany a fairly easy pick, unless you really want KDB or Hazard.

Having to leave out so many quality players is what makes it so tough. If, like me, you’re determined to get Cronaldo and Messi in there you’re basically then ruling out a very significant proportion of the world’s greatest players in the last 20 to 30 years.

Having to leave out so many quality players is what makes it so tough. If, like me, you’re determined to get Cronaldo and Messi in there you’re basically then ruling out a very significant proportion of the world’s greatest players in the last 20 to 30 years.

If you really want to drive yourself nuts, do the same challenge again but you MUST have Zlatan in the team.

If you really want to drive yourself nuts, do the same challenge again but you MUST have Zlatan in the team.

:lol: no way!

Paolo Maldini was my ultimate undroppable so it’s definitely a non starter for me :toppa: Zlatan nearly leaves me playing 5 a side.

Yeah it is pretty hard actually :lol:

GK Shilton

RB Lahm

CB Cannavaro

CB Terry

LB Maldini

MF Gerrard

MF Scholes

MF Gazza

FW Messi

FW Totti

FW Aguero

Too many players have played for at least one of the big 3 Italian clubs. What a fall from grace that league has seen, apart from Ronaldo seeing out his last years it’s been sh1te for quite a while. .

Yeah it is pretty hard actually :lol:

GK Shilton

RB Lahm

CB Cannavaro

CB Terry

LB Maldini

MF Gerrard

MF Scholes

MF Gazza

FW Messi

FW Totti

FW Aguero

Too many players have played for at least one of the big 3 Italian clubs. What a fall from grace that league has seen, apart from Ronaldo seeing out his last years it’s been sh1te for quite a while. .

Not even close, you can’t have more than one from the same country. Back to the drawing board :)

:lol: no way!

Paolo Maldini was my ultimate undroppable so it’s definitely a non starter for me :toppa: Zlatan nearly leaves me playing 5 a side.

As I said above Van basten and Maldini were probably my two favourites ever but could only pick one so went to my next favourite Italian or Dutch and Totti was preferred to Rijkard so that was the decision made.

As I said above Van basten and Maldini were probably my two favourites ever but could only pick one so went to my next favourite Italian or Dutch and Totti was preferred to Rijkard so that was the decision made.

Van Basten, Rijkard, Gullit, Baresi, Costacurta, all players I considered, especially MVB. Really enjoyed doing this one, it was hard work but very interesting seeing what sides others have shoehorned in.

Mine is:

GK: Petr Cech

RB: Darijo Srna

CB: Aldair

CB: Virgil van Dijk

LB: Paolo Maldini

CM: Lothar Matthaus ©

CM: Paul Gascoigne

RM: Lionel Messi

ACM: David Silva

LM: Cristiano Ronaldo

CF: Kylian M’Bappe