Your "past their best" Saints XI

norwaysaint

Andrei Kanchelskis

I included him too. Maybe a bit harsh. If I remember the situation right, he was without a club and had asked if he could train with the team just for fitness. Then, as he was around he was used for a game when we needed someone, but I don't think he was ever really seen as a proper signing and I don't think we ever really wanted to play him. It was pretty well recognised that his career was done.

I included him too. Maybe a bit harsh. If I remember the situation right, he was without a club and had asked if he could train with the team just for fitness. Then, as he was around he was used for a game when we needed someone, but I don't think he was ever really seen as a proper signing and I don't think we ever really wanted to play him. It was pretty well recognised that his career was done.

Yes he wasn't really a planned signing. He came off the bench late in a home game against Everton that we won with a Pahars penalty. Played 1, Won 1 - so better than some.

Rodrigues

McCalliog

Osgood,

all shoe-ins and well past their prime, AKA, you'll win nothing with kids.

Jimmy Case, no spring chicken either.

Maybe Lee Todd just got old before his time?

Jimmy Case?! He played over 200 games for us. Was a very good signing, on the pitch and also helped the young players we had at the time thrive. Branfoot's first mistake was getting rid when he easily could have done another season. Had Cockerill & Hurlock running around trying to fill his boots, and neither were up to the job.

In fact, Hurlock is a good candidate for this thread - if not already mentioned.

Jimmy Case?! He played over 200 games for us. Was a very good signing, on the pitch and also helped the young players we had at the time thrive. Branfoot's first mistake was getting rid when he easily could have done another season. Had Cockerill & Hurlock running around trying to fill his boots, and neither were up to the job.

In fact, Hurlock is a good candidate for this thread - if not already mentioned.

Bizarre to see Case there, he was with us for 6 years i think, a great player for us and part of one of our most entertaining sides ever. He was playing in the second division when we signed him so rather than being past his best could say we got him back to his best.

Rodrigues

McCalliog

Osgood,

I, too, find this a bizarre suggestion. Case was a great player, very influential, and I believe (haven't checked) he played more games for Saints than any of his other clubs.

Rodrigues

McCalliog

Osgood,

I wondered if someone would suggest Ossie. I would argue that he achieved his best at Saints. He was majestic and made things happen without hardly breaking into a trot. Maybe he didn't score as many goals, but he was sublime for us. I think McCalliog was also not past his best and Rodrigues was superb despite his years and tache,.

Gk - Miller

DR - Jermaine Wright

DC - Perry (Although I thought he did alright for us)

DC - Jermaine Wright

DL - Makin

MR - Ripley

MC - Jermaine Wright

MC - Redknapp

ML - Kanchelskis

S - Euell

S - Dixon

Miller didn't play many games and actually did alright, I'd say Kasey Keller would be a better shout for the GK slot.

Was going to suggest Darren Powell because he was always injured and terrible but it turns out he was only 29 when we signed him.

Past their best is past their best, doesn't matter about the age.

On that basis I nearly said Phil Ifill.

Kanchelskis played for Saints?? Been watching since 1978 & really don't remember that …. must have completely erased him from my memory!!

Sub appearance v Everton. When we signed him they offered a deal for his name and number on the back of your shirt. Hopefully not too many went for it.

Kanchelskis played for Saints?? Been watching since 1978 & really don't remember that …. must have completely erased him from my memory!!

He was a quiz question on the lockdown thread :-)

We signed him on a short term deal and he wasn't getting in the team, complained to a newspaper about it, when they asked Strachan he said "well he should get fitter and play better then"

Happy to put Jimmy Case back, I think I've had a Dominic Raab/Dover moment in not realising quite how much he played for us. For me he would always be synonomous as a Liverpool player and to an extent even as a Brighton player too. I didn't see much of Saints then and clearly reading back he was very much in his prime with us. Google would tend to agree with me though, three quarters of the stuff on line about him is Liverpool related.

Maybe this is a whole new thread, players we think of highly as Saints fans but players 'most' football fans would associate with a completely different club. eg Jimmy Case (!), Chivers, Shearer for three.