Premier Football to restart?

Weston Saint

Their position isn't hopelessly bad though and their last 5 results aren't all that bad.

Can’t get much worse than bottom.

Thought Steve Parrish spoke really well on the odious Andrew Marr Show. He was far too clever to fall down any of Marr’s traps.

You believe after the last four months of all this, some players are unaware that the virus is contagious and can be deadly? However you do trust them to have a sudden epiphany and comply with a total isolation policy, if we let them play football again.

I disagree.

No I believe they are less likely to have gang bangs with prostitutes if they are playing twice a week, are tested regularly and the outcome of their club’s season depends on them staying negative.

No I believe they are less likely to have gang bangs with prostitutes if they are playing twice a week, are tested regularly and the outcome of their club’s season depends on them staying negative.

Since when did their club's season become the major consideration in how they conduct their antics ?

A lot of gang bangs for Norwich, Villa, Watford, Bournemouth and Brighton players then.

Suggested a while ago . Sounds sensible but too many vested interests re promotion and relegation PLUS money money money .Nothing will be decided until they run out of time and then they will argue about scrapping this season entirely or calling current league position the final positions to decide promotion and relegation followed by various legal actions .

What about stopping this season now then start next season with all the clubs on the points they've got now.

At least this seasons points will have an effect.

Not saying it's a good idea, just another way of doing it!

Teams have played different numbers of games and different opponents so that does not work.

Just watched Dominic Raab on TV. He mentioned no football. So if it’s no football it’s no football which will make it very difficult for teams to train and prepare etc. Just waiting now for everything to unravel as it it surely will. Football is not coming back anytime soon

SFC don't appear that ready to re-start the season. Our manager is not even in the country and under new rules unless you are from France you will have to self isolate for 2 weeks when entering the UK. Not a dig at RH or the club, he should be with his family. However this is just another small example where football really has to take a back foot and forget about this season.

SFC don't appear that ready to re-start the season. Our manager is not even in the country and under new rules unless you are from France you will have to self isolate for 2 weeks when entering the UK. Not a dig at RH or the club, he should be with his family. However this is just another small example where football really has to take a back foot and forget about this season.

Could he not come to France and then return to the UK ? Don't think we have quarantine for Schengen arrivals.

Is that right that Piqué doesn't want to start playing for at least another month or so? So that would be mid June at the earliest in Spain then, will be pretty hot there then, suppose they'll play in the evenings.

Meanwhile back in stately UK it would seem that the players want to have the final say on when (or if) games are played. Some clubs say that they won't force the players to play but one has said that if they don't want to play they won't get paid. Sounds like a right old minefield .

Edited by Window Cleaner

What about stopping this season now then start next season with all the clubs on the points they've got now.

At least this seasons points will have an effect.

Not saying it's a good idea, just another way of doing it!

I'd vastly preferring voiding or deciding based on avg current points.

The joy of a new season is starting fresh.

I'd vastly preferring voiding or deciding based on avg current points.

The joy of a new season is starting fresh.

That would be pretty handy. Then we could concentrate on getting cricket started because well, it's cricket season.

PL Football was due to finish next week-end anyway.

The proposed quarantine will only apply to arrivals by air. They are only proposals at the moment and only three months late.

Don't think that's quite right.

He added that the UK's falling infection rate meant introducing quarantine would now be more effective and prevent "reinfection from abroad". The government later clarified the rules would apply not just to air passengers, but also those arriving by other means of travel - such as train or ferry.

I think they are well prepared, but I wouldn't be surprised if their private thinking is changing.

They've followed the "must finish the season" line but at what point does finishing the season become unrealistic? League 1 and 2 are now abondoned as they can't afford to play now but they'll be in desperate trouble if they can't start next season. I've heard May 25 I'd the deadline for a decision on finishing or not, and that's approaching fast. In any case, you can't have the PL waiting to finish this season whilst L1/2 are starting another.

All logic says give it up now, but money screams do anything to try to keep the gravy train on the rails.

And as for Ralph, he can come to Southampton by train or car with no quarantine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

He added that the UK's falling infection rate meant introducing quarantine would now be more effective and prevent "reinfection from abroad". The government later clarified the rules would apply not just to air passengers, but also those arriving by other means of travel - such as train or ferry.

I'd just done a quick search without any clear results. The end of May seemed to be a possible date for its implementation.

Give the guy a break, he's only had two months to come up with this idea. /s

I

And as for Ralph, he can come to Southampton by train or car with no quarantine.

But only by passing through France (or Ireland) apparently. As it stands he couldn't go via Holland or Belgium but I expect that will change because singling out France doesn't make much sense if you've come by car from say Italy or Germany.

However there are a lot of UK residents with second homes in the Dordogne and Normandy and that measure is probably for them really.

The idea that introducing quarantine now will be effective has been disputed. It's in the early stages that it should have been introduced.

And I haven't picked up anything about Ferries. What about by road through the tunnel? And does it apply to lorry drivers? And isn't France excluded? Or is it included now but Ireland isn't?

I appreciate the need to set out a broad policy for easing lockdown, but it's sheer incompetence not to have detailed rules on specific issues sorted out first.

This smacks of a split government wanting it both ways and so ending up with confusion, no clarity whatsoever and irrational rules/guidance.

The idea that introducing quarantine now will be effective has been disputed. It's in the early stages that it should have been introduced.

And I haven't picked up anything about Ferries. What about by road through the tunnel? And does it apply to lorry drivers? And isn't France excluded? Or is it included now but Ireland isn't?

I appreciate the need to set out a broad policy for easing lockdown, but it's sheer incompetence not to have detailed rules on specific issues sorted out first.

This smacks of a split government wanting it both ways and so ending up with confusion, no clarity whatsoever and irrational rules/guidance.

It's on the BBC site. Everywhere and by all methods of transport except Ireland and France. Probably doesn't apply to trucks and stuff though, doesn't anywhere else but they do sometimes have trouble at borders. We had 3 bus loads of Moldavian tourists stuck at the French-German border last week because the Germans didn't want to let them in. Think they went by another route in the end.

according to my immigration contacts no one will be allowed in by car, ferry, plane or whatever means without fulfilling the ability to self isolate....and that was the latest they were being told at 1pm today.

That's right. You have to have a UK address where they can check up on you with the exceptions of travellers from France and Ireland. The debateaable point is whether that applies to travellers just passing through Ireland or France to get round the rule.

Then again as train use is restricted in France and you're not supposed to travel more than 100 km from home unless it's for professional reasons or some sort of serious family matter (like funerals, weddings are banned anyway) it's all very complicated.

Edited by Window Cleaner

It will take them at least those 3 weeks to be anywhere near ready anyway. Wasn't the 8th cited for an eventual restart?

Yeah, can't see them actually starting that soon. It does look like it'll potentially remove the roadblock of social distancing rules preventing it returning though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2877[/ATTACH]

This table is part of a Sky article. I know our home form is bad but when you see a graphic of it it makes you realise just how bad it is!

It doesn't show the home form is bad, it shows the ratio between home and away points. Not the same thing.

(Yes I know the home record is bad)

It doesn't show the home form is bad, it shows the ratio between home and away points. Not the same thing.

(Yes I know the home record is bad)

A 10 yo could deduce from that graphic our home form is bad

Who knew this fcker wouldn’t want to play?

Danny Rose hits out at Premier League return plan: 'I don't give a f*** about the nation's morale' http://news.sky.com/story/danny-rose-hits-out-at-premier-league-return-plan-i-dont-give-a-f-about-the-nations-morale-11986898

And? I’d be saying the same if I was him. I assume his parents are both black and probably in their sixties, I’d be a bit more worried about them than what some strangers are watching on TV.

And? I’d be saying the same if I was him. I assume his parents are both black and probably in their sixties, I’d be a bit more worried about them than what some strangers are watching on TV.

We know where you stand but others are more stoic and understand the risk.

Aware you believe it magic and randomly strikes anyone outdoors.

He shouldn’t go near them anyway if they are high risk.

We should also now move to a winter break in football forever more. Not for football reasons, but for public health reasons. Seasonal flu has a 0.1% death rate in the UK and we wouldn't want football players picking up the virus and then transmitting it to their parents. People die when that happens. Covid-19 looks like it has a 0.5% death rate. I'm not yet sure whether we should shut down all spectator sports - and the entire global economy - at 0.1% or 0.5% or somewhere in between. So, as ever, thoughts welcome.

We should also now move to a winter break in football forever more. Not for football reasons, but for public health reasons. Seasonal flu has a 0.1% death rate in the UK and we wouldn't want football players picking up the virus and then transmitting it to their parents. People die when that happens. Covid-19 looks like it has a 0.5% death rate. I'm not yet sure whether we should shut down all spectator sports - and the entire global economy - at 0.1% or 0.5% or somewhere in between. So, as ever, thoughts welcome.

The death rate is as low as it is because the lockdown measures have suppressed transmission (the R number) to between 0.5 and 1 so the NHS has capacity to treat the sick who need it. Without lockdown, the transmission rate would have been nearer 2.5 to 3 (according to early estimates) and then the NHS would have been swamped and unable to cope. The point of the lockdown is primarily to protect the NHS so that as many people who need treatment can get it.

Your 'somewhere in between' Covid-19 mortality rate is actually 3.4% worldwide according to the World Health Organization. But, with over 50,000 deaths more than normal in the UK so far, it looks like the rate is much higher than that in this country. Open your eyes and you'll find that people are dying all around you. I've never heard or seen so many ambulances in this country before. It's great to see the country starting to get back to normal again but let's not underplay this tragedy.

We know where you stand but others are more stoic and understand the risk.

Aware you believe it magic and randomly strikes anyone outdoors.

Oh good, because I don't know where you stand. I was just browsing the Lounge and you described another posters colleague being killed cycling to work as 'horrific'.

Also, it would appear I understand the virus better than the Premier League, who think disinfecting the pitches is going to make any difference at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52635005

He shouldn’t go near them anyway if they are high risk.

It would seem that the parents of any black footballer are at risk, so how long should they not see them for? Finishing this season will probably take them into September.

It would seem that the parents of any black footballer are at risk, so how long should they not see them for? Finishing this season will probably take them into September.

Anyone high risk needs to self isolate, My mum is high risk so I haven’t been in her house since lockdown. I thought you would have known this?

Anyone high risk needs to self isolate, My mum is high risk so I haven’t been in her house since lockdown. I thought you would have known this?

Why are you pretending I didn’t know that when it’s basically the point I’m making?

He and his family may not be ‘high’ risk but some reports are saying black people are up to four times more likely to die if they catch it. You’re asking players to take part in a crowded, physical environment with a very high risk of transmission. He doesn’t want to do that and put any of his family at risk and there are several other players who have expressed the same fears.

What’s it all for? I can understand people needing to risk their health, going to work to put food on the table and lay the rent. We’re asking footballers to do this for a couple of hours of light entertainment.

Your 'somewhere in between' Covid-19 mortality rate is actually 3.4% worldwide according to the World Health Organization. But, with over 50,000 deaths more than normal in the UK so far, it looks like the rate is much higher than that in this country. Open your eyes and you'll find that people are dying all around you. I've never heard or seen so many ambulances in this country before. It's great to see the country starting to get back to normal again but let's not underplay this tragedy.

not sure where you live but i find if it was not for the news and obviously the lock down, i would not know. I do not anyone that has died from it, has become seriously ill and as for the sirens etc. I hardly hear any anymore, maybe because the roads are quieter and there is not necessity to blast their way through perhaps?

Why are you pretending I didn’t know that when it’s basically the point I’m making?

He and his family may not be ‘high’ risk but some reports are saying black people are up to four times more likely to die if they catch it. You’re asking players to take part in a crowded, physical environment with a very high risk of transmission. He doesn’t want to do that and put any of his family at risk and there are several other players who have expressed the same fears.

What’s it all for? I can understand people needing to risk their health, going to work to put food on the table and lay the rent. We’re asking footballers to do this for a couple of hours of light entertainment.

You were talking about his parents, he shouldn’t go anywhere near them wether he plays a few games of footie or not.

The Black thing is fair point, if the stats show the6 are much higher risk then they shouldn’t have to play if they don’t want to, just like no other player should be forced to.

You were talking about his parents, he shouldn’t go anywhere near them wether he plays a few games of footie or not.

The Black thing is fair point, if the stats show the6 are much higher risk then they shouldn’t have to play if they don’t want to, just like no other player should be forced to.

But we can't have players picking and choosing whether to play or not. Makes a mockery of the competition.

You clearly can’t read, I said no one should be forced to play.

But if it's materially more risky for one group then it's not OK to just exclude them.

Anyway, I edited the post because I can't be bothered with the inevitable weird race discussion.