Which three years of Saints history would you experience again?

norwaysaint

Or maybe experience for the first time?

If you could somehow experience being a fan through any three year period, see the games in real time, go through the highs and lows, which period would you go for?

The Paine and Davies era in the sixties?

76-79 Just managing to span both cup finals and promotion?

81-84 Keegan and second place?

92-95 Vintage MLT, ZDS cup?

00-03 Cup final, Strachan, Beattie, Pahars etc

Or more recently Markus buys us, Wembley final and successive promotion seasons?

The Poch and Koeman years of exciting, attacking football with squads so good, Liverpool bought the lot?

Of any three year period (not necessarily whole seasons), when are you going for?

As I was born in 85 I’d love to have been a fan in 81-84, the feeling of challenging for the league with the European footballer of the year in your side would have been amazing. Bet the pubs before games were a great laugh too.

Probably 2011-2013 followed by 2014-2016 to be honest! Was a great six year period.

After that it'd probably be 1998-2000; the great escape, some successful football under Hoddle and, of course, The Dell.

For context, my first match was in 1994, aged 7.

Or more recently Markus buys us, Wembley final and successive promotion seasons?

This one. Going to games, expecting to win, and predicting how many Lambert would score that day! I'm old enough to remember all your list, but this period was special.

When we could go a goal down and still be relaxed, because a 3-1 win was still the most likely outcome.

Early nineties, tail end of Branfoot to Alan Ball era. Fan power in the protests which as a 15 year old was brilliant to be involved in, the Ball resurgence was miraculous and one of the rare moments that a new manager bounce really worked. Ronnie freakin Ekelund.

And still standing at the Dell and rolling around the Milton end when a goal went in. I had Saturday job so only went on evenings and Sundays but luckily significant things happened sometimes (Sunday October 24 1993 i was there, and Crossley saving MLT's pen must have been an evening match too).

Great days.

I wish I was young.

The Paine,Sydenham, Davies era was great and always entertaining. But for me the 3 years from Markus buying us and the two promotions after winning at Wembley has to be my best. We were almost dead and buried until Cortese brought Markus here to save us. I daren't wonder how high we might have risen if he hadn't died when he did. Such a loss, magnified by his daughters failure to keep us riding high.

Early nineties, tail end of Branfoot to Alan Ball era. Fan power in the protests which as a 15 year old was brilliant to be involved in, the Ball resurgence was miraculous and one of the rare moments that a new manager bounce really worked. Ronnie freakin Ekelund.

And still standing at the Dell and rolling around the Milton end when a goal went in. I had Saturday job so only went on evenings and Sundays but luckily significant things happened sometimes (Sunday October 24 1993 i was there, and Crossley saving MLT's pen must have been an evening match too).

Great days.

I wish I was young.

This takes some beating to be honest. I was late teens/early 20's, when football was the most important thing in my life at that time. The atmosphere at The Dell, the highs when we won, and Matty scoring those goals...........priceless.

God I miss that place and those days

Always said I wish I was older in 81-84 so I could appreciate them more so I'll stick with that.

Wonderful times, it always felt like if we weren't 3-0 up after half an hour at The Dell you wondered what was wrong.

Not always the best away from home mind but The Dell days made up for it.

The Poch/Koeman years run it close however.

Great days.

I wish I was young.

Sunday Oct 24th, was that the Newcastle game?

Le Tiss's penalty miss, yeah, at night, i was behind that goal in The Archers Rd, the rebound miss was probably worse.

I started going in 69 so have seen all the recent eras. But have a twinge of regret that I missed the period 65-68 of reaching the top division for the very first time and then Ron Davies scoring 37 goals in his first season with us.

Sunday Oct 24th, was that the Newcastle game?

Le Tiss's penalty miss, yeah, at night, i was behind that goal in The Archers Rd, the rebound miss was probably worse.

Yes. I only remember the date now because about 15 years later my daughter was born that same day, and I noticed the link a couple of years back.

So Le Tissier's performance now only the second best thing that ever happened on that day.

I’m torn between the first three years after Markus’ takeover and the Poch/Koeman seasons. Probably the latter as we absolutely mullered some of the best teams in England.

Didn't Koeman have a victory over every other team in the league during his time at Saints?

1976 -1979 FA Cup and promotion greta games players and excitement loads of away games and proper memories

I would extend that same period beyond 1979 if the rules allowed to second in the league, we bloodied the big boys noses all over the place - Games that spring to mind 3-2 v Liverpool when the refs watch seemed to stop on 89 minutes (some chap from under the west stand lost it and ran onto the pitch chasing the ref pointing at his wrist.) European Champions getting smashed off the Dell pitch 4-1.

I have to say the rein of Nigel Adkins probably tops the lot, ok it wasn’t top flight, some of the football was a delight to watch, we were rampant, you walked through the turnstiles knowing that you were 99% likely to see a win and a win in style. When Kelvin had his testimonial against the promotions XI led by Our Nige there were a couple of moments in the Sash shirt when they were attacking the Northam, even though the legs were older, the speed and fluidity of the move just made you think, if only you could transplant that DNA from the 2 promotion teams into the current team.

My first Saints game was in 1963 but from 1980 to 2013, I was working abroad in various countries around the world, generally only catching 1 or 2 games each season when I flew back for visits, and the years I regret missing are definitely the early 80s, which I mostly followed from afar.

The best years were the late 70s and early 80s. The late 70s were by far the best for atmosphere at games but the early 80s were the best for success on the pitch, with the team coming so close to doing the double in 1984. Things seemed to deteriorate after the departure of McMenemy, which was compounded by the post-Heysel decline of English football and the Dell's capacity becoming ever smaller. Since then, the Pochettino/Koeman years, 2013-16, have been the best. Looking back and remembering how I felt at the end of each season and how much I was looking forward to the next one: 1) 1981/84 2) 1976/79 3) 2013/16

1976 -1979 FA Cup and promotion greta games players and excitement loads of away games and proper memories

Would have to be this era for me, getting to Wembley back then, particularly 76, was still a magical experience. To win the FA Cup as a second division side against the ‘mighty’ Man Utd was off the scale. Promotion 2 years later, talk of a new stadium (again), felt we were finally moving on. Some of the away days 77-78 were massive and memorable occasions.

79 at Wembley was (result aside) another step and big day out.

Soft spot for the first 3 years of the 70s too as this when I first really got into it and going regularly, again magical to a young kid.

Would have to be this era for me, getting to Wembley back then, particularly 76, was still a magical experience. To win the FA Cup as a second division side against the ‘mighty’ Man Utd was off the scale. Promotion 2 years later, talk of a new stadium (again), felt we were finally moving on. Some of the away days 77-78 were massive and memorable occasions.

Soft spot for the first 3 years of the 70s too as this when I first really got into it and going regularly, again magical to a young kid.

Yes, I remember 70/71 as being a particularly good season, which would also explain your username.

Would have to be this era for me. Getting to Wembley back then, particularly 76, was still a magical experience. To win the FA Cup as a second division side against the ‘mighty’ Man Utd was off the scale. Promotion 2 years later, talk of a new stadium (again), felt we were finally moving on. Some of the away days 77-78 were massive and memorable occasions.

Didn't Koeman have a victory over every other team in the league during his time at Saints?

In his second season he beat every team except Everton and Leciester. The latter only got an injury time equaliser at St Mary's because of Kelvin's dodgy kicking. We put 4 past Arsenal and Man City, 3 past Liverpool and Chelsea, last team to win at WHL, won both trips to OT, there's also an 8-0 and a 6-1 in there... those were the days.

Well, my first game was against Swindon Town in the '58 - '59 season, so I feel I can offer at least longevity to the debate! I loved all the suggested periods, but my favourite was the McMenemy teams of 81 - 84. Such class. Channon, Paine and Le Tiss also receiving lots of well-deserved mentions, but my favourite was Osgood. I often thought he was worth the admission money just to see him.