Great British Ships - Titanic C5

alehouseboys

I've just watched the hour-long episode in a series called 'Great British Ships' on Channel 5, this week it was about the Titanic.

It told the story from concept, to construction in Belfast, to the fateful crossing and when it went down - but Southampton never got referred to once, the presenter only mentioned about it 'setting sail to New York'. Out of the 900 crew on board over 700 came from this city and well over 500 perished.

Am I being a bit over sensitive about this because it did grip my ****, it felt like a bit of an insult to the hundreds who died down in the engine rooms and working in other areas of the ship.

Am I being a bit over sensitive about this because it did grip my ****

Looks like I am then. I have to admit I do get a bit punchy when I feel someone's being disrespectful to my home town - I even checked out the presenter as thought he must have been a skate - still, I'm over it now.

Standard practice, I think the same happened in both world wars if a mercant ship was sunk.

The widows of the band who kept on playing whilst the ship was sinking had a deduction made from their husbands's final pay because their husbands didn't return their uniforms.

I've just watched the hour-long episode in a series called 'Great British Ships' on Channel 5, this week it was about the Titanic.

It told the story from concept, to construction in Belfast, to the fateful crossing and when it went down - but Southampton never got referred to once, the presenter only mentioned about it 'setting sail to New York'. Out of the 900 crew on board over 700 came from this city and well over 500 perished.

Am I being a bit over sensitive about this because it did grip my ****, it felt like a bit of an insult to the hundreds who died down in the engine rooms and working in other areas of the ship.

You're not the only one. I find the TV obsession with anything to do with Titanic sinking nauseating. As for those who pay obscene amounts for memorabilia words fail me. 538 died from the city. I have seen the map of where they all lived and the concentration of dots in the bottom end of town really does make the point. The impact on the city must have been devastating and it rarely gets a mention. The media keep glamorising it. A disaster in which 1500+ people died wasn't glamourous.

No! They are not giving the story the proper context. My Grandfather used to say how he waved the Titanic Off.

Glad I missed that programme it would really have annoyed me too. Yes it’s astonishing how Southampton seems to get airbrushed from the Titanic story. Titanic didn’t just sail from Southampton, most of the crew came from Southampton. Of the 1500 people who died, a third of them came from came from Southampton. Two places that Titanic never ever visited, New York and Liverpool seem to get more mileage in the story. Titanic was a Southampton tragedy...

Yes it’s astonishing how Southampton seems to get airbrushed from the Titanic story. .....

Pretty much the same with the Mayflower.

Regarding the Titanic, there was a program a couple of nights ago regarding the various conspiracy theories regarding it's sinking, concentrating on the insurance fraud claim that she was actually switched with her previously damaged sister ship, the Olympic. The best one, however, claims that she was actually sunk by a German U-boat, 2 years before WW1, as the Germans were jealous of the fact that the UK had the biggest and best trans-Atlantic liner.