Oldest TV footage of Saints

jawillwill

I've just stumbled across this footage of an old match between Sheffield United and Bury, which led me on a trail of related footage:

But I haven't found anything that dates back anywhere near as far in relation to Saints. Anyone know if anything exists?

I've just stumbled across this footage of an old match between Sheffield United and Bury, which led me on a trail of related footage:

But I haven't found anything that dates back anywhere near as far in relation to Saints. Anyone know if anything exists?

It's not TV footage though. Newsreels record parts of Big matches long before TV, trouble is Saints weren't involved in any big matches. Newsreels wouldn't vae covered the Southern League or Third Division South.

[h=2]Oldest TV footage of Saints[/h]

1902 is a long time before TV existed ;)

It's not TV footage though. Newsreels record parts of Big matches long before TV, trouble is Saints weren't involved in any big matches. Newsreels wouldn't vae covered the Southern League or Third Division South.

Yes they were...

- FA Cup finals in 1900 & 1902

- FA Cup semi finals in 1898, 1900, 1902, 1908, 1925, 1927

Yes they were...

- FA Cup finals in 1900 & 1902

- FA Cup semi finals in 1898, 1900, 1902, 1908, 1925, 1927

Semi-finals would probably not have been classed as "big matches" in those days in terms of newsreels (The Final and maybe some high profile internationals), but I suppose 1925 and 27 might have had some live action filming. As far as I know there is no footage of the 1900 or 1902 finals, both years are still extremely early in the history of "moving pictures", which really only started in 1899. Newsreels were not invented until 1911 by Charles Pathe. The footage of Sheff Utd v Bury in 1902 is quite remarkable, and only seemingly exists because of some pioneering work by Mitchell and Kenyon who were based in Blackburn.

I was aware of the fact that we were in those games, some people say I may have actually attended some of them, but they would be wide of the mark by a few years.

There is footage of Saints win over Liverpool in the FA Cup 1925 around, the BFI were advertising it back in the 80s I remember. I have colour footage of Saints playing Leeds at Elland Rd 1948 which I bought from a private collector. I think it must be the first of Saints in colour. I lent it to the Sea City Museum during the exhibition and they showed it on a loop.

But we still had Channon's testimonial on a Monday straight after the cup win.

That I struggle to remember. Bunked off school at 10.45am and got down to the County Ground for a Hampshire 1 day game. Straight in the bar and didn't leave until after 4pm when someone said the queue at The Dell had started.

They opened the gates just after we got there and we had the bar in the corner under the West Stand to keep us amused.

The game? Feck knows.

That I struggle to remember. Bunked off school at 10.45am and got down to the County Ground for a Hampshire 1 day game. Straight in the bar and didn't leave until after 4pm when someone said the queue at The Dell had started.

They opened the gates just after we got there and we had the bar in the corner under the West Stand to keep us amused.

The game? Feck knows.

Amazed I got into The Dell for that match. Lived in Reading at the time. Travelled down with a mate and his Dad, leaving about 3.45 after school. Not sure what time we got down there with the traffic but hellish queues outside. Got in, quite a crush.

didn't leave until after 4pm when someone said the queue at The Dell had started

We joined a long queue for ‘under the West’ at around lunchtime. The gates were locked long before kick-off with thousands locked outside, loads still got in by being inventive. Then many more once they opened the gates like they always did, 10-15 mins before the final whistle but nobody left, just thousands more piled in.

We joined a long queue for ‘under the West’ at around lunchtime. The gates were locked long before kick-off with thousands locked outside, loads still got in by being inventive. Then many more once they opened the gates like they always did, 10-15 mins before the final whistle but nobody left, just thousands more piled in.

Yep, I was one of those. Queued for ages and gates were locked about 10 yards from us, so we walked around the outside of the ground, and saw a few fans scaling the walls so followed suit. Was just behind the touchline. Apparently more than twice the normal maximum crowd got in. I put a few quid in the charity bucket, but think it was the ambulance service as I could not see one for the game itself. Brilliant game and the players enjoyed it as well - great banter with the fans during throw-ins, corners etc.

Yep, I was one of those. Queued for ages and gates were locked about 10 yards from us, so we walked around the outside of the ground, and saw a few fans scaling the walls so followed suit. Was just behind the touchline. Apparently more than twice the normal maximum crowd got in. I put a few quid in the charity bucket, but think it was the ambulance service as I could not see one for the game itself. Brilliant game and the players enjoyed it as well - great banter with the fans during throw-ins, corners etc.

My old man was a docker and some of his dockie mates were stewards (there was a special 'dockers gate' at the Dell). They said they were overwhelmed with the numbers outside, some were already getting in by 'other' means with the gates open that's why the official attendance was recorded as under 30,000 clicks on the turnstiles. Everyone was in buoyant mood and happy to let kids (and others) go through 2 at a time (although not particularly unusual) but it was getting obvious the ground was over-full before the cut-off figure was reached. And then of course, many more got in as the game went on.

My old man was a docker and some of his dockie mates were stewards (there was a special 'dockers gate' at the Dell). They said they were overwhelmed with the numbers outside, some were already getting in by 'other' means with the gates open that's why the official attendance was recorded as under 30,000 clicks on the turnstiles. Everyone was in buoyant mood and happy to let kids (and others) go through 2 at a time (although not particularly unusual) but it was getting obvious the ground was over-full before the cut-off figure was reached. And then of course, many more got in as the game went on.

Was this the Ease Stand/Milton Road corner ? I recall that being referred to as the 'Dockers enclosure' a few times. There used to be a good crowd in standing just in front of the bar in that area, language was more 'colourful' than anywhere else in the ground.

Was this the Ease Stand/Milton Road corner ? I recall that being referred to as the 'Dockers enclosure' a few times. There used to be a good crowd in standing just in front of the bar in that area, language was more 'colourful' than anywhere else in the ground.

Wasn't that the West Stand -Milton Corner by the player's tunnel ?

Wasn't that the West Stand -Milton Corner by the player's tunnel ?

Might have been as well at one point but I'm specifically referring to East/Milton corner.

I've stood on both at different times. West c Branfoot years/early 90's when it was vocal, esp lots of singing, jumping up and down etc. My recollection of the East predates that by some years, late 70's when those standing there were a bit, and some a lot older, many donkey jackets rather than designer wear. Blokes there would probably have seen the later lower West Stand antics as mere nippers fooling about.

Big difference seemed to me that West Stand used to sing about 'kicking heads in' (as the songs went in those days), Lower East didn't sing about it but always looked ready for a punch up if anyone stepped out of line or away fans tried to make their way to the small bar from the Archers Road End (no real segregation at the time).

Edited by Badger

No it was under the East.

A couple of weeks after their infamous Panorama appearance, Harry the Dog and his Millwall goons were seen scurrying out of there, to the safety of the Archers.

Big difference seemed to me that West Stand used to sing about 'kicking heads in' (as the songs went in those days), Lower East didn't sing about it but always looked ready for a punch up if anyone stepped out of line or away fans tried to make their way to the small bar from the Archers Road End (no real segregation at the time).

I think Lets B Avenue reinforces my recollection.