FA Say Season Will Be Finished

SFC Forever

The FA have come out and said that the football season will be finished one way or another. If unable to be played then points per game will decide positions.

bit of a contradiction, or at least a caveat to the fact it might not be "finished" (as in all games played), but at least "decided upon".

I think there will be a number of Prem clubs in financial difficulties (us included?) if the money from outstanding TV games doesnt arrive.

I would think/hope that those 'difficulties' simply involve not paying such massive amounts for players in the summer. I can't see anyone getting close to administration over a few missed TV payments.

I think there will be a number of Prem clubs in financial difficulties (us included?) if the money from outstanding TV games doesnt arrive.

Agreed, Saints will be down upwards of £10,000,000 or so as now would have been the time to renew season tickets. And thats not including the loss of revenue from the last 4 home games.

Agreed, Saints will be down upwards of £10,000,000 or so as now would have been the time to renew season tickets. And thats not including the loss of revenue from the last 4 home games.

So they will be down the cost of a fringe player, or in other words one that would be worth a gamble......

I assume they will have to refuned season tickets for the unplayed home games in any event.

Not finishing the season would be bad news for football in general and probably for Saints more than most.

Knowing us we would rush to get the season done and get relegated, at least we have another season in the top flight guarenteed!

I would think/hope that those 'difficulties' simply involve not paying such massive amounts for players in the summer. I can't see anyone getting close to administration over a few missed TV payments.

TV money is the lion's share of revenue for clubs like Saints. Our wage bill is something like 65% of revenue and we may not be able to shift our duds this summer. This could have a material impact on our spending and financial standing over several years.

We won't go into admin but we could end up in something of a debt spiral.

Knowing us we would rush to get the season done and get relegated, at least we have another season in the top flight guarenteed!

This is the big gamble that all clubs face, especially at the lower end of the table where there is probably more at stake financially. No one can predict how any of the teams will be mentally prepared for the re-start and what lies ahead. Another concern is one or two players testing positive, what are the implications for that club, and squad then ? Defer their fixtures for a 14 day period, to resume later and cram additional fixtures into the last couple of weeks ?

From a Saints perspective our squad have often shown to be mentally fragile, just hope we put a couple of wins together early on to ease the anxiety.

TV money is the lion's share of revenue for clubs like Saints. Our wage bill is something like 65% of revenue and we may not be able to shift our duds this summer. This could have a material impact on our spending and financial standing over several years.

We won't go into admin but we could end up in something of a debt spiral.

Surely the damage wont be as bad as being relegated though. I know we'd get some wage cuts to help in that scenario but this situation should still be manageable. Don't spend anything on transfers, Long, Yoshi, Austin, Cedric and Clasie off the wage bill and we should save a bit of money.

Surely the damage wont be as bad as being relegated though. I know we'd get some wage cuts to help in that scenario but this situation should still be manageable. Don't spend anything on transfers, Long, Yoshi, Austin, Cedric and Clasie off the wage bill and we should save a bit of money.

Most of those are currently being subsidised though and we'll probably have Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi and Forster back on the wage bill (plus anyone I've forgotten).

No, hopefully not as bad as being relegated but our chances of building a better squad are taking a big hit (along with some other clubs). This is actually likely to cause further inequality between the mega rich clubs and the PL also rans.

Most of those are currently being subsidised though and we'll probably have Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi and Forster back on the wage bill (plus anyone I've forgotten).

No, hopefully not as bad as being relegated but our chances of building a better squad are taking a big hit (along with some other clubs). This is actually likely to cause further inequality between the mega rich clubs and the PL also rans.

I can’t see any reason they can’t either be loaned out or find a space in the squad. It’s not going to be pretty but having the players I mentioned off the wage bill permanently (or at least our percentage of it) and finding a cheap RB might keep us on an even financial footing.

I can’t see any reason they can’t either be loaned out or find a space in the squad. It’s not going to be pretty but having the players I mentioned off the wage bill permanently (or at least our percentage of it) and finding a cheap RB might keep us on an even financial footing.

I think we will struggle to find anyone to take those lot on loan in the current climate, unless we pay most their wages.

Wether we go bust or not will probably depend on how much Gao is willing to dip into his pockets. Even if we finish this season and get some of the Sky money it’s going to be a struggle.

This is probably perverse thinking, but trying to see the positive aspects for Saints.

Looking at how other teams have been outstripping us in commercial income terms, assuming we do actually play at neutral venues in the short term, we are probably less badly affected than other teams might be. Before this, quite a few teams in our league were dwarfing us in normal matchday revenue (e.g. West Ham, Spurs, maybe Brighton from memory) and that is no longer available to anyone in the short term. And the teams with lower revenue than us are looking at the relegation trap door.

As for television money, we've featured relatively little due to being bang-average on the pitch. Last year we received the equal lowest facility TV payment on par with Huddersfield, don't know if that's changed much this year but wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't.

Granted we were always highly unlikely under the current ownership to spend much at all this summer this summer, so in these circumstances I would imagine our focus would be particularly on offloading some of our surplus players. I would be personally surprised if we were to recruit anyone at all - maybe a loan or two to fill the gaps.

Putting those factors aside, at least we're still in the Premier League - from the top of the Championship down, there can't be a single team that will be happy with its lot in any of the divisions below. If some of them were worried about following Bury, a lot more of them will be now.

I think we will struggle to find anyone to take those lot on loan in the current climate, unless we pay most their wages.

Wether we go bust or not will probably depend on how much Gao is willing to dip into his pockets. Even if we finish this season and get some of the Sky money it’s going to be a struggle.

I think in the current climate teams will be looking at cheaper options and loans, so there will still be a market for those players, it’ll just be teams who might otherwise be aiming higher.

Austin, Clasie?