Harry's Heroes

Charlie Wayman

Surprised that a thread has not been started as so many ex-Saints seem to be involved, notably Matt le Tiss, Ruddick & Wright. ITV seems to have trawled the bottom of the ocean to come up with this load of embarrassing tripe. Over-aged, over-weight ex-England pros on a booze and curry binge journey through France & Germany presumably all expenses paid, occasionally playing football against teams of unknown local pensioners or nudists for what purpose exactly?

That most of them were unfit, hadn't trained for years and ended up completely knackered or badly injured tells you all you need to know. This was more voyeurism than entertainment, utter garbage.

Surprised that a thread has not been started as so many ex-Saints seem to be involved, notably Matt le Tiss, Ruddick & Wright. ITV seems to have trawled the bottom of the ocean to come up with this load of embarrassing tripe. Over-aged, over-weight ex-England pros on a booze and curry binge journey through France & Germany presumably all expenses paid, occasionally playing football against teams of unknown local pensioners or nudists for what purpose exactly?

That most of them were unfit, hadn't trained for years and ended up completely knackered or badly injured tells you all you need to know. This was more voyeurism than entertainment, utter garbage.

And you had to watch it before that dawned on you?

What did you think it would be, an in-depth look at European architecture & culture from middle aged me who want to broaden their horizons after retirement?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What has been particularly interesting is the insight into ‘Arry’s managerial skills and technical and tactical insights. My old Sunday team manager showed more nous. It could have been a decent programme if it had been made shortly after the players had retired rather than being completely knackered and past it.

I think people may be missing the point a bit. The whole point I believe is that it's being shown during mental health week, is that the at most risk group for suicides are males in middle age. Probably for some of the reasons stated above. Ie you health's starting to deteriorate, you're drinking too much it suddenly dawns on you that the new girl in marketing hasn't even knowledged your existence, you start realising that the years to a possibly slow death in a care home are fast approaching, you're divorced...you're not divorced etc etc From the stats i've seen it has actually helped male interaction with help groups which certainly spiked after the last series.

I think people may be missing the point a bit. The whole point I believe is that it's being shown during mental health week, is that the at most risk group for suicides are males in middle age. Probably for some of the reasons stated above. Ie you health's starting to deteriorate, you're drinking too much it suddenly dawns on you that the new girl in marketing hasn't even knowledged your existence, you start realising that the years to a possibly slow death in a care home are fast approaching, you're divorced...you're not divorced etc etc From the stats i've seen it has actually helped male interaction with help groups which certainly spiked after the last series.

What’s not to like about a care home? As long as you are the daddy that has the tv remote

Its only a tv programme, lighten up. Yes they're all past it and it looks like an old lads booze up, but the stories of Merson, Ruddock, Hendrie are worth highlighting.

Think last night having gotten rid of the Razor self distraction element - taking out the old crocks blowing out their backsides on the pitch - thought it was an interesting watch.

As much as us Saints fans have little affection for Arry - even him recounting the car crash was at Italia 90 that killed his friend - the fact that if he hadn’t spoken to the Irish fans they wouldn’t have been where they were on the road when it happened seems a bit of a millstone for him 30 years on.

Exactly. The intention of the programme is to highlight middle-age men's issues with the neglect of their mental & physical health. Some, who have serious addictions that (in Ruddock's case) are driving them to a early grave. Some (like Merson) are trying to turn their life around, and for the moment at least - are achieving it.

Its only a tv programme, lighten up. Yes they're all past it and it looks like an old lads booze up, but the stories of Merson, Ruddock, Hendrie are worth highlighting.

They are but perhaps the format of the programme is all wrong. Watching a bunch of knackered old men stroll around isn’t edifying. What is interesting is hearing about how some of the veterans are struggling with life after football.

Think last night having gotten rid of the Razor self distraction element - taking out the old crocks blowing out their backsides on the pitch - thought it was an interesting watch.

As much as us Saints fans have little affection for Arry - even him recounting the car crash was at Italia 90 that killed his friend - the fact that if he hadn’t spoken to the Irish fans they wouldn’t have been where they were on the road when it happened seems a bit of a millstone for him 30 years on.

I actually knew Brian Tiler & he was a decent man. My dad was heavily involved with a charity & Brian used to be incredibly supportive, attending events & making donations. It was very sad when he passed & im sure Redknapp has been affected badly by it for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought about stringing you along for a bit longer for sport but ok.....

Simple stuff really. Wadesmith (I think) posted about getting old and not being attractive or noticed by the girl in marketing.

I mistakenly thought the post was yours SOG and teased that you must have shown affection to said marketing girl but this was unrequited.

Banter isn’t what it used to be!

They are but perhaps the format of the programme is all wrong. Watching a bunch of knackered old men stroll around isn’t edifying. What is interesting is hearing about how some of the veterans are struggling with life after football.

Agree. Haven't watched it but the only way they could make it more unedifying would be to show those knackered old men playing against a team of fitter younger men with no clothes on. That of course would be too ridiculous and gut churning to ever be permitted on national television.

Thought about stringing you along for a bit longer for sport but ok.....

Simple stuff really. Wadesmith (I think) posted about getting old and not being attractive or noticed by the girl in marketing.

I mistakenly thought the post was yours SOG and teased that you must have shown affection to said marketing girl but this was unrequited.

Banter isn’t what it used to be!

Indeed it isn’t Whelk. And I’m afraid that my days of noticing girls in marketing, or even Tescos for that matter, are long gone. Well, that’s not strictly true. I may occasionally notice, but my cardio- vascular problems mean that even wishful thinking fails to kick in (for self-preservation purposes).

Hi all, new here, lurked for a while but finally made an account probably 6 months ago - typical it finally gets approved by the admins now there's no actual football to talk about.

Anyway I thought it was alright but definitely stretched out too long considering half of it was archived footage. Also thought the messaging was a bit confused - when the end of the first episode was meant to be serious about alcoholism even though the first half of it was more or less a booze up billed as the lads on tour.

I found it interesting, especially as all the ex players had very successful careers, mostly with big clubs and were internationals. Nearly all of them were probably obese in BMI terms.

Not all footballers are like that. I knew, Ian White and Ron Davies well, Hughie Fisher quite well and had a passing acquaintance with George O'Brien and Brian O'Neill amongst others. They were all fit for their ages and probably weighed pretty much the same as their playing days. The one horriffic thing for me was Neil Ruddock's total inability to grasp his predicament and show any willingness to address it. I seem to remember he was hopeless in that respect in the last series.

I saw a picture of Steve Williams a few years ago and barely recognised him as he had put so much weight on. I remember Ron Davies being a big guy in his playing days and most of them used to be big drinkers and no one looked after their diet much in the 60s and 70s so there probably wasn’t much of a change for many of them when they stopped playing then.