Saints "Leaking Money" Article

The Cat

Goas reign was never going to end well. Sadly this has just brought forward the inevitable.

Agree.

Can't see anyone coming forward to buy the club in the current climate, as a minimum they'll want to know what league we'll be playing in next season, and if or when it might start up again.

Edited by Badger

Agree.

Can't see anyone coming forward to buy the club in the current climate, as a minimum they'll want to know what league we'll be playing in next season, and if or when it might start.

By all accounts the only interest we’ve had has been someone who wants to buy us with loans lodged against the club. Goa was obviously a disaster from day one people I trust close to the club told me it we were f8cked. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an exodus like 2014, but we don’t get the cash we need and we won’t spend anything like what we earn.

Could have been worse. At least we are in the prem whilst this is happening. Imagine if we had gone down instead of Swansea.

It’d been like the Dutch regime with a team full of youngsters plus s couple of journeymen signed cheaply as “leaders”. The difference would be it’s be marketed as a return to the Southampton way of the pathway from youth, roll up and buy your premium tickets, your opportunity to purchase a £22 burger, and be part of the revolution!

By all accounts the only interest we’ve had has been someone who wants to buy us with loans lodged against the club. Goa was obviously a disaster from day one people I trust close to the club told me it we were f8cked. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an exodus like 2014, but we don’t get the cash we need and we won’t spend anything like what we earn.
Do we have any idea why katherina was so desperate to sell to them? Did she really just not give a sh*t about the club? Why continue to be involved at all if that was the case?

Do we have any idea why katherina was so desperate to sell to them? Did she really just not give a sh*t about the club? Why continue to be involved at all if that was the case?

No other show in town is my guess. Don’t forget they had to find a loop hole in the fit and proper person test to get goa in. It’s virtually impossible to fail that test.

Which part of it is nonsense, and why?

The bit about Forster is scrapping the barrel a bit. Surely someone wanting to buy him is good news.

I reckon you could substitute the name Southampton for about 10 other clubs at the moment, which begs the question, who exactly is going to buy Redmond, McCarthy and Prowse in the present climate. And Ings’ injury record may put people off in a cautious climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reckless spending and appalling management of Reed's tenure, coupled with a worthless owner.

Yeah, agreed. Pelle, Mane, VvD, Bertrand, reckless spending from Reed. Appalling management, 6th, 7th, 8th, ****ing hopeless. Way below where we should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This could very well just be an easy story to run, chucking a few bits together to make a headline, but it's also probably not too far from the truth.

We've got a chairman who wants out and his money back, the game in crisis and a club with millions tied up in duds that will likely need to be written off. Great material for column inches.

This could very well just be an easy story to run, chucking a few bits together to make a headline, but it's also probably not too far from the truth.

We've got a chairman who wants out and his money back, the game in crisis and a club with millions tied up in duds that will likely need to be written off. Great material for column inches.

Was it ever his money in the first place? Gao wouldn't be missed, he's done nothing to benefit Southampton football club, doubt there would be anyone interested in buying the club at the moment though, who knows what will happen to football in the next 12 months.

This is the Star lads, and they called Nathan Redmond a striker, claimed our three "international keepers" are amongst our most valuable assets, and at no point actually explain why we are in such a financial hole from corona with respect to other teams. We just had our finances back it was nothing out of the ordinary in the league, it they can't quantify what has changed (with respect to other teams, we are all dealing with COVID) it is just another sensationalist paper bullsh*tting for sales. Also, the thought of Sofiane Boufal attracting "serious interest from premier league rivals" is a hilarious, this writer is utterly clueless.

Edited by TWar

This is the Star lads, and they called Nathan Redmond a striker, claimed our three "international keepers" are amongst our most valuable assets, and at no point actually explain why we are in such a financial hole from corona with respect to other teams. We just had our finances back it was nothing out of the ordinary in the league, it they can't quantify what has changed (with respect to other teams, we are all dealing with COVID) it is just another sensationalist paper bullsh*tting for sales. Also, the thought of Sofiane Boufal attracting "serious interest from premier league rivals" is a hilarious, this writer is utterly clueless.

Yep. Every premier league will have cash flow issues after the Covid fall out, especially without the TV money / having to return TV money. They'll all have players with hands out for wages but sponsors not wanting to pay for no marketing, ditto TV companies no product. Sure, some clubs will have owners more able / willing to prop clubs up with their own cash, but that won't apply across the board and/or be sustainable.

Says it all. As for the childish name calling towards Kat, poor Marcus must be spinning in his grave. At the outbreak of the pandemic we were told that it was putting things like sport into perspective and yet here we are again, slagging off people we have never met for intentions that we don’t know if they have or not and believing any old tat written in a newspaper. Clearly the whole economy is in a mess and Southampton FC will not be alone is struggling to adjust to whatever the new reality becomes.

The financial situation at the club isnt good and you could work that out youself and look at the recent accounts.

In theory we must be around a good £90M in debt, which wouldnt be that bad if we didnt buy players that are now out on loan.

The need to finish the season and get the remaining tv revenue is a must for us and numerous other clubs or things will go pete tong.

We have a high wage bill and like many other clubs that will cause the main problems.

The only surprising thing is that she delayed the sale as long as she did. She sold off the MALI group of companies her father left to her almost immediately after he died. About the only thing she didn't sell was the private bank in Switzerland, where she keeps her money.

I believe the reason that she didn't sell the club immediately was that there was a clause in her father's will that stated she had to keep it for a certain number of years. Do you remember at the time, it was reported in both the Echo and national newspapers that he had made provision before he died for the long-term future of the club?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/11/markus-liebherr-southampton-future

The only surprising thing is that she delayed the sale as long as she did. She sold off the MALI group of companies her father left to her almost immediately after he died. About the only thing she didn't sell was the private bank in Switzerland, where she keeps her money.

I believe the reason that she didn't sell the club immediately was that there was a clause in her father's will that stated she had to keep it for a certain number of years. Do you remember at the time, it was reported in both the Echo and national newspapers that he had made provision before he died for the long-term future of the club?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/11/markus-liebherr-southampton-future

Not many people inherit property or business assets but don't sell them. She's done what most people would do.

I somehow doubt we are the only club in a position like this, but our ownership situation can only exasperate things further. The game is never going to be the same again.

Good, I cant be the only one who loves football but is fed up with the Premier League and the greed in the game.

Who knows what substance there is behind the article but the thing that intrigues me if other clubs are in trouble is that they picked us to mention. And not only mention but splash it on the back page of a national paper.

More interesting times for us, especially after the last set of accounts looked so poor.

We've been leaking money for most of the last ten years, with the occasional fire sale masking the lack of owner's cash injections that other PL clubs usually take for granted. Luckily I think we have enough cash in the bank for now, which might not necessarily be the case for other clubs across the board.

Not many people inherit property or business assets but don't sell them. She's done what most people would do.

True. A clause in her father's will probably also explains why she had to retain at least a part share in the club. I wonder how long a time period such a clause might cover? 10 years? If so, she would be free to sell that remaining 20% soon.

True. A clause in her father's will probably also explains why she had to retain at least a part share in the club. I wonder how long a time period such a clause might cover? 10 years? If so, she would be free to sell that remaining 20% soon.

No idea, and she may have hung on to 20% because she had to, or wanted to, or just because Gao offer wasn't sufficient to take the lot. I suspect we'll never know the truth. I make the point I do because of the various comments blaming her. Sure, Gao had been a disaster, but Kat couldn't be expected to throw money at the club and sold her inheritance (presumably to the highest bidder). That is understandable.

No idea, and she may have hung on to 20% because she had to, or wanted to, or just because Gao offer wasn't sufficient to take the lot. I suspect we'll never know the truth. I make the point I do because of the various comments blaming her. Sure, Gao had been a disaster, but Kat couldn't be expected to throw money at the club and sold her inheritance (presumably to the highest bidder). That is understandable.

Wasn’t there a threat of legal action by Kay against Goa a few months ago? Also rumors she wanted the club back. All seems to have gone quiet about that.

Wasn’t there a threat of legal action by Kay against Goa a few months ago? Also rumors she wanted the club back. All seems to have gone quiet about that.

Dunno Del. I suppose the other reason she held onto 20% was some kind of retention / security for payment. Either way, it's a mess and we need a lifeboat.

That seemed to be an internet/forum rumour only, don't think it even made the tabloids.

Club has responded, it was a nonsense story, some of you lot can stop throwing your toys out the pram now.

To avoid future hysteria, consult this handy link for the reliability of football sources - https://www.thefalse9.com/2018/01/football-transfer-sources-rumours-website-reliability.html - note the Star is tier 5 which is the lowest tier and reads "Absolute D*ck Heads. Why are you even reading them for f*ck sake?"

Also note, Blackmore is on there as a tier 1 for us.

Edited by TWar

As she herself said: "I will ensure that all decisions made about the future of the club will be in the best interests of its staff, players, management and fans." So, we can only take her at her word.

Club has responded, it was a nonsense story, some of you lot can stop throwing your toys out the pram now.

To avoid future hysteria, consult this handy link for the reliability of football sources - https://www.thefalse9.com/2018/01/football-transfer-sources-rumours-website-reliability.html - note the Star is tier 5 which is the lowest tier and reads "Absolute D*ck Heads. Why are you even reading them for f*ck sake?"

The club responding does not make it a nonsense story.

I see south coast football expert Alex Crook doesn’t even make the list

The article is utter nonsense. Hardly surprising given it is in the Daily Star.

Which part of it is nonsense, and why?

All of it. It is utter bull****.

To start with the lack of fans at games doesn't leave the club with a £100m hole in their budget, especially if the season resumes and TV money continues. Even if it did, that would not require the best players like Ings, Ward-Prowse & Remond to be sold like the article claims, you'd sell other players long before they needed to go.

All of it. It is utter bull****.

To start with the lack of fans at games doesn't leave the club with a £100m hole in their budget, especially if the season resumes and TV money continues. Even if it did, that would not require the best players like Ings, Ward-Prowse & Remond to be sold like the article claims, you'd sell other players long before they needed to go.

Like who? We’ve been trying to shift the dead wood for a while and can’t find any takers.

Like who? We’ve been trying to shift the dead wood for a while and can’t find any takers.

The second sentence in my post voids the need for this...

"To start with the lack of fans at games doesn't leave the club with a £100m hole in their budget, especially if the season resumes and TV money continues."

But I'd guess they would attempt to find buyers for all the other first team players before selling Ings, Redmond & Ward-Prowse.

Adam Blackmore saying the club told him “0% chance” of those English players being sold this summer backs this up.

The major part of her inheritance was the MALI (MArkus LIebherr) group of engineering companies, which manufactured heavy equipment and vehicles, such as tractors, and was worth billions at the time her father died. I've just been looking in to what's happened to them since then.