The BBC Thread

Guided Missile

Just finished watching the excellent Salisbury Poisonings drama. Personally, with their national radio output, Solent's Saints coverage, iplayer and the News/Sport websites, I get fantastic value from the BBC for three quid a week. 

• Like 2

My daughter's recently been watching all the back episodes of Outnumbered.  Thought it was silly at the time and have never been a fan of Hugh Dennis but they are a very easy watch. 

I must admit I spend much of each episode contemplating whether I fancy his missus or not.   

Edited by Manuel

The BBC news last night was a bit outrageous. Im not a fan of Trump but the way they potrayed the stadium being empty as though he hadnt drawn a crowd, but on their own website they had put up how kids on TikTok and another had ordered tickets to not go therefore to leave lots of empty seats. Whether you like him or not, that is not balanced reporting.

BBC iplayer is brilliant and allows me to watch the brilliant This Country time and again

On 6/19/2020 at 5:29 PM, scally said:

Nothing to see here, move on

Responsible for one of the Greatest typefaces in history as well, font fans.

Very difficult to separate the art from the man when the art becomes so ubiquitous but that statue has always been effing weird and I'd tear it down tomorrow.

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

The BBC news last night was a bit outrageous. Im not a fan of Trump but the way they potrayed the stadium being empty as though he hadnt drawn a crowd, but on their own website they had put up how kids on TikTok and another had ordered tickets to not go therefore to leave lots of empty seats. Whether you like him or not, that is not balanced reporting.

BBC iplayer is brilliant and allows me to watch the brilliant This Country time and again

The way I understood it was the TikTok kids were only registering an interest and not booking tickets, so 19000 people could still have turned up if they wanted to. The two sides of the story are compatible.

11 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

The way I understood it was the TikTok kids were only registering an interest and not booking tickets, so 19000 people could still have turned up if they wanted to. The two sides of the story are compatible.

Precisely - anybody and everyone could register an interest. Supply wasn't fixed. Whether people got into the arena was on a first-come-first-serve basis - hence the sight of chumps camping during the week.

Edited by shurlock

21 minutes ago, The Cat said:

What We Do In The Shadows series 2 was brilliant. One of my goals at work this year is to be more like Colin Robinson.

Les has already got that job sewn up on here. 

Edited by shurlock

I personally think the BBC is brilliant. The fact that right-wingsters complain is too left wing, and left wingers complain its too right wing, suggests they actually strike an OK balance. It'll never be possible to convince everyone of this though (particularly knuckle dragging fucktards and racists) and opponents to 'fake news' (which does exist, but less so for the Beeb than many other outlets!).

Its not perfect, but compared to the cost of a Sky TV subscription, for example, I think the value for money is incredible and I don't know anyone that doesn't use any BBC services.

I like MOTD, other top sporting occasions (Olympics, Wimbledon, world Cup etc), good dramas (e.g Line of Duty, Luther etc), good documentaries (Attenborough/ Louis Theroux), the news and weather (ITV weather maps are terrible in comparison!), local radio. BBC iPlayer and their website are also good.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

It ain’t all bad, iPlayer is a bonus and you can get to see ‘Snowfall’. If you were into ‘Breaking Bad’ do yourself a favour and get into these series. Addictive viewing.

Started that and not sure why stopped wasn’t cos it was crp I know.

as I have now caned Netflix will give it a go again.

BTW that smug BBC arts correspondent who looks bit like an alien is an absolute prick. His report on museums and lack of black curators today was horrendous. And he slates things that are good so should be sacked immediately. Baldie bastard.

Edited by whelk

13 hours ago, whelk said:

BTW that smug BBC arts correspondent who looks bit like an alien is an absolute prick. His report on museums and lack of black curators today was horrendous. And he slates things that are good so should be sacked immediately. Baldie bastard.

Bald Heads Matter Whelk!

15 hours ago, whelk said:

Saw him once in our local Waitrose. He spoke quite highly of you.

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Always supported the BBC up until recently. The bias is just too far gone. Cram it full of ads to make up the difference, I don't care. Hopefully Netflix or Amazon will hire their documentary team including Sir Attenborough. 

Just keep the license fee until Sir David expires in a year or two most likely and then bin the whole thing. 

16 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Always supported the BBC up until recently. The bias is just too far gone. Cram it full of ads to make up the difference, I don't care. Hopefully Netflix or Amazon will hire their documentary team including Sir Attenborough. 

Which way is the bias though? Given the left say it is biased towards the government and the right say it is biased towards the left, I’d say that evens things up.

16 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Which way is the bias though? Given the left say it is biased towards the government and the right say it is biased towards the left, I’d say that evens things up.

One side asserting falsehoods doesn't make it balanced. That's like saying  pravda is balanced because communists readers claim its biased. 

Edited by hypochondriac

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

One side asserting falsehoods doesn't make it balanced. That's like saying  pravda is balanced because communists readers claim its biased. 

If both sides believe it to be true, where is the “falsehood”?

On 6/23/2020 at 1:36 PM, jawillwill said:

I personally think the BBC is brilliant. The fact that right-wingsters complain is too left wing, and left wingers complain its too right wing, suggests they actually strike an OK balance. It'll never be possible to convince everyone of this though (particularly knuckle dragging fucktards and racists) and opponents to 'fake news' (which does exist, but less so for the Beeb than many other outlets!).

Its not perfect, but compared to the cost of a Sky TV subscription, for example, I think the value for money is incredible and I don't know anyone that doesn't use any BBC services.

I like MOTD, other top sporting occasions (Olympics, Wimbledon, world Cup etc), good dramas (e.g Line of Duty, Luther etc), good documentaries (Attenborough/ Louis Theroux), the news and weather (ITV weather maps are terrible in comparison!), local radio. BBC iPlayer and their website are also good.

Impossible to argue with any of this. It's generally the far-left and far-right who have a problem with the BBC. On the whole, it's very balanced.  

• Like 1

Try this. Stop watching MSM. Turn off the news for a couple of weeks. Nothing they tell you is true, without bias or accurate. Since living in Thailand i never watch the news and my life thus is so much brighter as i never get to see their silly propaganda and lies. It is brainwashing. The TV has been brainwashing us all for 60+ years. Turn it off. Go outside, dare to live without being told how to think, what to say, and how to feel. 

5 hours ago, st.bangkok said:

Try this. Stop watching MSM. Turn off the news for a couple of weeks. Nothing they tell you is true, without bias or accurate. Since living in Thailand i never watch the news and my life thus is so much brighter as i never get to see their silly propaganda and lies. It is brainwashing. The TV has been brainwashing us all for 60+ years. Turn it off. Go outside, dare to live without being told how to think, what to say, and how to feel. 

Bet you are shit in the general knowledge pub quiz round

16 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Because one side is demonstrably incorrect. 

16 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Because one side is demonstrably incorrect. 

So because you have a right wing mindset you think that those from the left are lying when they say it had a right wing bias? Do you think that they would also say that you are lying when you say they have a left wing bias? What makes you right and them wrong?

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

So because you have a right wing mindset you think that those from the left are lying when they say it had a right wing bias? Do you think that they would also say that you are lying when you say they have a left wing bias? What makes you right and them wrong?

No its because when you weigh up the totality of evidence on both sides its clear where the bias lies. 

13 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I've got no desire to debate it with you if that's what you mean. 

So we have to believe that the BBC is biased towards the left just because you say so? I see. Sorry hypo, but I wouldn’t trust you to tell me the time, let alone trust you on something like institutionalised bias in the BBC. 

If the evidence is that overwhelming, you shouldn’t have too much trouble proving it, should you?

6 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

So we have to believe that the BBC is biased towards the left just because you say so? I see. Sorry hypo, but I wouldn’t trust you to tell me the time, let alone trust you on something like institutionalised bias in the BBC. 

If the evidence is that overwhelming, you shouldn’t have too much trouble proving it, should you?

No you can believe what you like because I don't care about you. Posters are welcome to do their own research and reach their own conclusions. It's not hard to find, I just have no desire to argue about it with you in particular so crack on. 

6 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

No you can believe what you like because I don't care about you. Posters are welcome to do their own research and reach their own conclusions. It's not hard to find, I just have no desire to argue about it with you in particular so crack on. 

Well there’s a first. You normally bust a gut trying to argue that black is white if I say it is black.  You aren’t arguing because you haven’t got an argument. It is one of the many fallacies that you from the far right keep throwing at the BBC because it doesn’t conduct itself like the Murdoch publications or the Mail or the Express etc.

If the BBC was so biased towards the left why did they give Corbyn such a rough time? If it was as you say surely they would have been tripping over themselves to get him elected?

Their job is to hold the government and those in power to account, no matter which side of the political divide. They do that as well as anybody.

17 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Their job is to hold the government and those in power to account, no matter which side of the political divide. They do that as well as anybody.

No it’s not. That’s the oppositions job.

The BBC’s job is to entertain the nation and also broadcast stuff you won’t find on commercial or subscription TV. Its to educate and report on the news, not become some sort of campaigning body. This is half the problem with the BBC , it sees itself as having some sort of constitutional role in challenging Government, and pinkos like you lap it up. 

6 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Well there’s a first. You normally bust a gut trying to argue that black is white if I say it is black.  You aren’t arguing because you haven’t got an argument. It is one of the many fallacies that you from the far right keep throwing at the BBC because it doesn’t conduct itself like the Murdoch publications or the Mail or the Express etc.

If the BBC was so biased towards the left why did they give Corbyn such a rough time? If it was as you say surely they would have been tripping over themselves to get him elected?

Like I said I'd encourage people to ignore posts like this full of falsehoods and look into it for themselves. 

Edited by hypochondriac

6 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

No it’s not. That’s the oppositions job.

The BBC’s job is to entertain the nation and also broadcast stuff you won’t find on commercial or subscription TV. Its to educate and report on the news, not become some sort of campaigning body. This is half the problem with the BBC , it sees itself as having some sort of constitutional role in challenging Government, and pinkos like you lap it up. 

Campaigning body? What is the point of sending reporters (journalists) to political events if they can’t ask challenging questions? They do it to all politicians, yes, even pinkos.

Name one broadcasting organisation that “just” reports what happens.

The BBC news service is one of the most respected in the world.

You are just unhappy because the bloke you voted in as leader of your party is rubbish.

43 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Campaigning body? What is the point of sending reporters (journalists) to political events if they can’t ask challenging questions? They do it to all politicians, yes, even pinkos.

The BBC news service is one of the most respected in the world.

You are just unhappy because the bloke you voted in as leader of your party is rubbish.

Indeed, what was the Frankie Boyle tweet going around? "If you’re a political journalist who has regular contact with people in power, and your analysis is always aligned with prevailing orthodoxy, then you’re not really a journalist, you’re a courtier." Courtier should be put on Kuensberg and Peston's CVs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

Indeed, what was the Frankie Boyle tweet going around? "If you’re a political journalist who has regular contact with people in power, and your analysis is always aligned with prevailing orthodoxy, then you’re not really a journalist, you’re a courtier." Courtier should be put on Kuensberg and Peston's CVs.

Time for Laura or Robert to step up to the plate ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53275395

The UK government is planning to introduce daily televised press briefings later this year.

The new format, similar to that used by the White House in the United States, is expected to come in by October.

Boris Johnson told LBC Radio the recent daily televised coronavirus briefings showed the public wanted more "direct engagement" with decision-makers.

It is understood an experienced broadcaster will be recruited to host the question-and-answer sessions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Name one broadcasting organisation that puts people in jail for not paying for it, regardless whether they watch it or not. 

Boomers like you need to get your head out of the sand & try and realise it’s 2020, not 1955. There’s no place in the modern world for a state broadcaster. As soon as the licence fee is decriminalised the whole things going to fall apart. 

26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Name one broadcasting organisation that puts people in jail for not paying for it, regardless whether they watch it or not. 

Boomers like you need to get your head out of the sand & try and realise it’s 2020, not 1955. There’s no place in the modern world for a state broadcaster. As soon as the licence fee is decriminalised the whole things going to fall apart. 

The BBC hasn't put anyone in gaol. Not having a licence does not carry a custodial sentence. 

Failing to pay a fine can result in a custodial sentence as a last resort. This applies to many other offences.

Last year 5 people went to prison for not paying the fine.  

• Like 1

Duckie, you sound more like Trump and Johnson everyday, trying to demonise the media when they don’t suck up to them. Weren’t you one of the people calling out Labour because they didn’t provide a strong enough opposition? The license fee is hardly a fortunate. You get a lot more for your money than with other broadcasters. One of the things you get is very professional investigative journalism. 

If the party you support so blindly are worried that they look bad in front of the cameras then it is down to them to sort themselves out. It is not the responsibility of the likes of the BBC to make them look good or proficient.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Duckie, you sound more like Trump and Johnson everyday, trying to demonise the media when they don’t suck up to them. Weren’t you one of the people calling out Labour because they didn’t provide a strong enough opposition? The license fee is hardly a fortunate. You get a lot more for your money than with other broadcasters. One of the things you get is very professional investigative journalism. 

If the party you support so blindly are worried that they look bad in front of the cameras then it is down to them to sort themselves out. It is not the responsibility of the likes of the BBC to make them look good or proficient.

What are you on about? 

This has nothing to do with whether the BBC make anyone look good or bad. It’s 2020, people shouldn’t have to pay a poll tax regardless of whether they watch the  BBC or not. The biggest cheerleaders for saying how valuable the bbc is, or what a bargain it is, are the ones that don’t want that tested. It’s simple, if it’s as good as you make out, if it’s such great value, everybody will pay a subscription for it. 

It acts like a commercial media conglomerate, it should be subject to the same commercial pressures as everyone else. 

17 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What are you on about? 

This has nothing to do with whether the BBC make anyone look good or bad. It’s 2020, people shouldn’t have to pay a poll tax regardless of whether they watch the  BBC or not. The biggest cheerleaders for saying how valuable the bbc is, or what a bargain it is, are the ones that don’t want that tested. It’s simple, if it’s as good as you make out, if it’s such great value, everybody will pay a subscription for it. 

It acts like a commercial media conglomerate, it should be subject to the same commercial pressures as everyone else. 

Isn't it strange that those who believe the BBC are not biased are also those most opposed to dropping the bit where people are forced to pay them. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to The BBC Thread