Mohammed Salisu

Saint Garrett

The start of that video just made me think of this:

spacer.png

So basically, big (but not overly strong), fast, not amazing in the air, can tackle/mark/head, good positioning. but ball watches a fair amount 🤔

Only 20 so would improve.

How much are we linked with him for?

Edited by Saint86

Swapping 14th in La Liga to 14th in the Premier League (currently) that's an ummm upwards move...................but then the Premier League is a bigger shop window, La Liga = John Lewis - Premier League = Harrods.

............................although who knows when the dust finally settles on the current world predicament.

I posted a link on the old system which was lost with the upgrade.

I'd randomly picked out a recent game Salisu had played in (against Athletic) that his team lost 4-1.  He was at fault for the 3rd & 4th and out jumped for the 2nd.  Maybe it was an off day, but  worth watching to balance out the football manager stats. 

Bargain fee for a player with that profile.

Worth remembering that the Saints leak came from the Valladolid end, and its in their interests for a bidding war. One decent French journo said last night the player had agreed terms with Rennes and they will likely up their offer. Believe they are in next seasons Champions League too.

Saints have been linked with him since at least January though and certainly need a left sided CB.

Still a bit to run in this one I think.

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

I posted a link on the old system which was lost with the upgrade.

I'd randomly picked out a recent game Salisu had played in (against Athletic) that his team lost 4-1.  He was at fault for the 3rd & 4th and out jumped for the 2nd.  Maybe it was an off day, but  worth watching to balance out the football manager stats. 

Absolutely shocking errors for the 3rd and 4th goals there. The 3rd was awful, the 4th was terrible given he was under no pressure.

The 2nd goal he didn't seem to be aware of where his man was, and then never really got off the ground - although in his defence, the striker did have the advantage of a running jump.

I also posted this on the old site :

Doesn't make him look exceptional, a couple of places where one of his team mates makes a last ditch tackle, and just after 2.20 he seems to pass the ball accross his own defence towards an opposition player but the clip doesn't show the outcome. Van imagine the uproar if Stephens or Vestergaard were responsible for it.

Also, and unusually for one these films for a modern CB no indication of accurate passes out of defence.

19 hours ago, Dusic said:

Worth remembering that the Saints leak came from the Valladolid end, and its in their interests for a bidding war. One decent French journo said last night the player had agreed terms with Rennes and they will likely up their offer. Believe they are in next seasons Champions League too.

Saints have been linked with him since at least January though and certainly need a left sided CB.

Why would they need a bidding war? He’s got a release clause 

On 6/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, Dusic said:

Only a bargain fee if he's any good. The match DMC posted doesn't really support that, he could be the Ghanian Vestergaard judging by those mishaps, in fact not sure JV or Stephens have made two of that calibre in the same game. I suppose as a positive perhaps he got them out of his system.

Agree a bit more mileage in this story, and it could be the agent leak, as once it's out there he may flush out a better offer, with us a back up if nothing else materialises.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/atletico-madrid/20200618/481832046382/salisu-examen-en-el-metropolitano.html

Says Atletico made a bid for him before lockdown and he has a chance in his next game vs AM to show why he is rated as one of the best young CBs in La Liga and possibly still of interest to them.

Meanwhile in France the word still seems to be that Rennes are in the race still.

€12m seems to be an utter bargain...for someone, so if we are in pole position hopefully we wrap it up soon.

(Also not sure how he would get a work permit in the UK?)

Seems stupid that a young player from La Liga may not be able to get a WP in the UK, but those are the rules...and if you true you would think it would have stopped PL teams being interested all along. Unless they wished to buy and loan out, playing the long game.

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Seems stupid that a young player from La Liga may not be able to get a WP in the UK, but those are the rules...and if you true you would think it would have stopped PL teams being interested all along. Unless they wished to buy and loan out, playing the long game.

You can appeal. That s what we did for Moussa.

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

You can appeal. That s what we did for Moussa.

Well yes but when the article suggests his people have realised he may not get a WP then surely thats including any appeals, otherwise its not a problem.

Djenepo had played for Mali. Salisu has no apps for Ghana at all, and only came to Europe in 2017.

Regardless, with these solid links to Salisu and Disasi its pretty clear we want a young CB - hopefully we get one of them as both look to be Saints of the Mitchell era type targets.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

You would have thought that if Saints have been negotiating this transfer for a few weeks as reported, that they would be confident of getting a WP?

Rennes Sporting Director said in a press conference yesterday that they had agreed a deal for Salisu with Valladolid but he wants to go to the PL because he is an English speaker. Said they don't want to force anyone to join them and they have other targets.

On that basis, Salisu's agent must be confident he could get a WP in the UK.

Strange story this, but pretty clear Saints have a strong interest here.

2 hours ago, Cartman said:

Can't see the work permit being an issue. £11m players signed to be starters for premier league teams aren't typically rejected work permits.

If Man Utd sign him I'm sure the work permit won't be an issue. If he comes to us then you expect it will be.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, miserableoldgit said:

I would be surprised if Utd are in for him - seems a bit raw still and they have Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe who would probably all be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Would be more concerned about the Everton interest 

On 6/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, miserableoldgit said:

Sun article is just reiterating previous stories and putting Everton and United in the headline as they are the most widely followed teams after him. Waste of an article.

23 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Sorry - I know..I was referring to this 'assorted with various bonuses’.

I think the club offered lower than the released clause which even includes the bonuses etc.

Still it's a joke to take the piss out of Vallladolid like that though.

On 24/06/2020 at 19:34, SaintsFan86 said:

Sounds like we can't even afford him anyway.

I believe Danso’s option-to-become-permanent deal is a fairly large figure - and that’s probably not going to be taken up - so we would have the money.

• Like 1

We are likely bartering to pay in instalments (potentially more money to do so) rather than paying the full sum up front. This isn't that uncommon, most teams pay for players over 3-4 years or so, this means the upfront cost of a 10m player you get through a release cause is the same as the upfront cost for a ~40m player. 

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

Dropped from the squad for the game today, get the feeling he is imminently going somewhere but I doubt it is us. Would love to be wrong though.

According to the French journalist Manu Lonjon, he is close to an agreement with Rennes - despite apparantly prefering a PL move.

7 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

He was on the bench according to Sky. 

Yep, google agrees, unused sub, my bad. The reddit thread on the match didn't list him but not a particularly reliable source.

8 minutes ago, Dusic said:

According to the French journalist Manu Lonjon, he is close to an agreement with Rennes - despite apparantly prefering a PL move.

Where are you seeing this? Not sure about the credibility of Lonjon, wasn't he the one that reported Lemina was going to wolves last year?

Sounds like we’ve lost out here trying to get away with getting him on the cheap. As good as the defensive display was yesterday the fact is some of the same players have proven over the past couple of years they can’t do it week in week out. May sound harsh but that’s the reality.   Maybe we’ve moved on to other targets but there was obviously strong interest given we made a bid.