2020/21 Season Ticket Information

Jimmy_D

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-06-18/southampton-football-club-202021-season-ticket-information

Ticket prices frozen

Credit for behind closed doors matches this season applied to season tickets (refund also available)

Automatic refund for any behind closed doors matches next season

£35 club shop voucher for renewals

Available from 22 June

Renewal period extended to 1 September

Executive summary: prices frozen for 2020/21, renewal window open until September. Pro-rata credit applied to everybody's accounts from the 4 home games missed this season, and pro-rata refunds will be applied within 14 days for every game played either behind closed doors or with reduced capacity where a ballot has to be conducted.

I think the processes in place are sensible - the pro-rata refunds for games where we can't get in are reasonable (although there's surely scope to calculate a fairer figure for each game depending on the popularity of the opposition, rather than a blanket "£28 for every game" approach - clearly the Liverpool game is more popular than Watford, for example), and the extra voucher is a nice touch that they probably didn't strictly need to do - but I can't help but feel the whole thing still feels a bit expensive, and my view on that hasn't really changed for a couple of years.

The £399 offer for the Itchen/Chapel corner is a good one, but for elsewhere in the ground it seems pretty high considering what's been on offer for the last few years. We're still among the most expensive in the league, especially considering our home record in that time - not sure those prices will tempt many new season ticket holders, and I suspect there'll be a natural drop-off in renewals because of the economic situation, people are going to have lost jobs and incomes during this period so renewing their season ticket will be pretty low priority.

8 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

I think the processes in place are sensible - the pro-rata refunds for games where we can't get in are reasonable (although there's surely scope to calculate a fairer figure for each game depending on the popularity of the opposition, rather than a blanket "£28 for every game" approach - clearly the Liverpool game is more popular than Watford, for example), and the extra voucher is a nice touch that they probably didn't strictly need to do - but I can't help but feel the whole thing still feels a bit expensive, and my view on that hasn't really changed for a couple of years.

The £399 offer for the Itchen/Chapel corner is a good one, but for elsewhere in the ground it seems pretty high considering what's been on offer for the last few years. We're still among the most expensive in the league, especially considering our home record in that time - not sure those prices will tempt many new season ticket holders, and I suspect there'll be a natural drop-off in renewals because of the economic situation, people are going to have lost jobs and incomes during this period so renewing their season ticket will be pretty low priority.

Very true but will the club be actively pursuing new season ticket holders for next season? What will the capacity be with social distancing? I read that Twickenham rugby stadium which normally has a capacity of 80,000 plus will be able to hold 9,000 if there is 2 metre social distancing. This would become 40,000 with 1 metre separation. Any idea what our capacity will be?

49 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Executive summary: prices frozen for 2020/21, renewal window open until September. Pro-rata credit applied to everybody's accounts from the 4 home games missed this season, and pro-rata refunds will be applied within 14 days for every game played either behind closed doors or with reduced capacity where a ballot has to be conducted.

Not quite that simple.  Price frozen for existing season ticket holders, price increases for many / most taking out a new season ticket.  So they have reintroduced a loyalty saving for most of those renewing, by increasing the price for new season ticket holders.

Strange decision, as it is hardly going to encourage new season ticket holders in the current economic climate.

Edited by mattyg

3 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Very true but will the club be actively pursuing new season ticket holders for next season? What will the capacity be with social distancing? I read that Twickenham rugby stadium which normally has a capacity of 80,000 plus will be able to hold 9,000 if there is 2 metre social distancing. This would become 40,000 with 1 metre separation. Any idea what our capacity will be?

They've said the system will be open for new season tickets as well as renewals, so assume it's business as usual from that perspective.

In cases of reduced capacity, I think it's highly likely we'll see the 2m rule relaxed in the coming weeks - large numbers of the public seem unwilling or incapable of respecting that distance anyway - so if Twickenham is a guide (I've not been, so don't know how spacious the seats are), then capacity is halved so we'd be down to 16k. I guess they would probably say no away fans, so we'd at least be able to fill that reduced capacity solely with home fans. Based on last season's numbers, I would assume that would still mean around 4k missing out each game - you might have some who volunteer for it, can't make certain games, are in a high-risk group, etc, but suspect most games would still require some sort of ballot.

3 minutes ago, mattyg said:

Not quite that simple.  Price frozen for existing season ticket holders, price increases for many / most taking out a new season ticket.  So they have reintroduced a loyalty saving for most of those renewing, by increasing the price for new season ticket holders.

Strange decision, as it is hardly going to encourage new season ticket holders in the current economic climate.

There was a fairly significant difference between new and renewal prices last season too, tbf, having had a few years of not offering renewing ST holders any tangible reward for their loyalty.

14 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

The extra voucher does have a few options how you want to use it but does carry an asterisk if you take the retail option - "Excludes 20/21 Kit" - that said it is still the best option as the travel option will likely be clouded by ballots on away games to.............thats even if we are allowed away.

Unless I have missed it elsewhere- the deadlines do point to next season starting in September as  "Notable Dates" Seat hold is 1st Sept, General sale 2nd Sept.

59 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

I've heard a rumour that our capacity may be reduced to about 10000 initially. ST holders will get priority for seats, but obviously some will have to move. If STs exceed capacity, I believe some sort of rota/ballot will determine who goes to each game.

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Unless I have missed it elsewhere- the deadlines do point to next season starting in September as  "Notable Dates" Seat hold is 1st Sept, General sale 2nd Sept.

And there's an international break early in September too, so could see a planned season start on the weekend of 12th September.

I don’t envy the people making the decisions over this. Lots of uncertainty around in terms of opening the doors as well as the general economic & health position of their “customers”. All in all I think it’s a pretty reasonable package they’ve put together. 

as an aside, I maybe missing something but the new ticket site doesn’t appear to show your history. I presume they’re still keeping those records. 

Here's a thought - I hope that in the event of an ballot for social distancing attendance that the system can identify same household ticket holders. It would be a bit pants if Mrs JBS gets selected to watch a game and me her Husband who obviously lives in the same house doesn't get drawn, when we can sit side by side and increase the attendance - we are obviously not unique in this. (yeah ok maybe I am by liking going to the footie with the missus! ☺️)

21 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Just a guess but 4 rows (losing 3 / 4 rows) apart and 5 seats (losing 4 / 5 seats) comes out at about 1/20 of capacity or 1600

If there are no loos that would get rid of thousands: everybody of a certain age, all the pre-match pub drinkers (will there be any?)..  Flippancy aside I can't see no loos, it's a public safety/health concern, but there might be additional staff on hand for cleaning. Also will they institute a mask requirement and maybe temperature checks on entrance?

At what stage will restrictions be relaxed, at a particular R rate, nationally, locally? When will even know given the shambles they've made over TTI.

I'll probably renew, but it's going to be a season as odd as the last one and I don't envy the organisational task in implementing the new and changing requirements.

Incidentally, has anyone involved in grass roots football received the FA's circulars for regulations on resumption? Looks like a fair bit of thought has gone into it.

3 hours ago, suewhistle said:

If there are no loos that would get rid of thousands: everybody of a certain age, all the pre-match pub drinkers (will there be any?)..  Flippancy aside I can't see no loos, it's a public safety/health concern, but there might be additional staff on hand for cleaning. Also will they institute a mask requirement and maybe temperature checks on entrance?

At what stage will restrictions be relaxed, at a particular R rate, nationally, locally? When will even know given the shambles they've made over TTI.

I'll probably renew, but it's going to be a season as odd as the last one and I don't envy the organisational task in implementing the new and changing requirements.

Incidentally, has anyone involved in grass roots football received the FA's circulars for regulations on resumption? Looks like a fair bit of thought has gone into it.

Perhaps they will introduce a one way system for the loos ;)

On 6/19/2020 at 3:25 PM, stevegrant said:

Apparently the EFL are preparing for next season on the basis of a 10% capacity restriction. If that extended to the PL, we'd have a useable capacity of around 3,200.

Rightly or wrongly social distancing is going to be reduced in the next 2-3 weeks so that may mean a bigger capacity available when fans are allowed back.

it will be interesting how they allocate these , as once the , media, sponsors and cooperate ticket have had their allocation there won’t be that many left.

will the length of time you’ve had the season ticket come into , awaygames included , ballot or wouldn’t surprise me totally the value you paid for any season ticket seeing as the refunds value would be less for those that can’t go. 

Edited by IFHP

Any crowd calculations would have to take household groups into consideration. They take up much less room because 3 or 4 people sat together means no seats need to be missed out.

I've seen other countries slowly introduce spectators back to their games. Obviously these are ones with much lower infection rates but by the time the new season starts ours could be at a point where crowds at games is manageable. 

4 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

The ticket office did respond. You can't apply discounts across multiple ticket holders yourself. You have to fill in a form for them to do it.

Or log into each account individually I guess (and pay a booking fee per transaction). For the sake of an extra £2.50 extra I am probably going to do that rather than more form filling.

Edited by Katalinic

Something I noticed that people may (or may not!) find interesting; on the new Season Ticket page on the OS the section dealing with the £35 incentive voucher for adults renewing and using their 19/20 season credit has been headlined "Saints £500k Thank You vouchers to Season Ticket Holders".

If we take this to mean the overall value of vouchers to be issued is around the £500k mark and divide that figure by the £35 value of each voucher it equates to a current adult season ticket base of ~14,285

The new ticket site is pretty rubbish, looks older then the last one they had! No idea why they had to change it, the previous site was spot on. Does anyone have their previous purchase history on this new crap?

3 hours ago, LGTL said:

The new ticket site is pretty rubbish, looks older then the last one they had! No idea why they had to change it, the previous site was spot on. Does anyone have their previous purchase history on this new crap?

I haven’t got my history on it. It does say something about extra features being added in July so I presume that’s one of them. 

2 hours ago, West Stand said:

I have just tried to book my seat but firstly the Discount I am due was not applied then a notice appeared saying no tickets were being issued, so I assume it is not working at all

I’ve now managed to pay!!

21 hours ago, Kingsland Red said:

I have renewed our two season tickets today,  but have had to advise the ticket office we have only received a discount carried from this season on one 20-21 ticket.

I think you only get discount on the account you’re logged into. I think the others need to pay via their account to get their discount. 

Interesting that they’re doing an instalment plan in house, with much bigger payments over a shorter amount of time compared to the usual 10 months offered by V12 finance.

Wonder if this confirms there was a bit of a palaver between V12 and the club over season ticket refunds as mentioned on here as cause of the refund delay. 

Also seems the club are keen to get the ticket money in the pot ASAP in case of a second lockdown and potential refunds. 

8 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Interesting that they’re doing an instalment plan in house, with much bigger payments over a shorter amount of time compared to the usual 10 months offered by V12 finance.

Wonder if this confirms there was a bit of a palaver between V12 and the club over season ticket refunds as mentioned on here as cause of the refund delay. 

Also seems the club are keen to get the ticket money in the pot ASAP in case of a second lockdown and potential refunds. 

They're doing it direct to avoid the complications that will arise if partial refunds need to be given for behind-locked-doors games next season.

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is but think it's to do with whether you're borrowing from V12 to buy from Saints or it's like a hire purchase agreement where V12 technically own your ST until you've paid it off. If V12 are having to agree the refunds, I can see the problem.

The club face a number of problems in trying to shift season tickets even supposing the ground can be re-opened for next season;

• Few fans over 65 will feel safe from infection in a crowd whatever advice the government offers on shielding - and there are a lot of over-65's in our fanbase
  • It will be nigh on impossible to socially distance walking up to or away from the stadium
  • Services in the concourses and loos impossible to maintain safely and hygienically and without crowding
  • Ground capacity will be strictly limited - whether 1600 or 3200 - through social distancing
  • Who of the current ST regulars will get the few tickets available?        15k very Brassed Off people
  • Will there be any tickets at all for fans who don't buy Sts?                      Another 10k really Peed Off folk

At the moment the club seems too have its head buried in the sand ( disingenuous) by encouraging all fans to renew without any of these questions having been addressed or answered satisfactorily.

I see trouble ahead

27 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The club face a number of problems in trying to shift season tickets even supposing the ground can be re-opened for next season;

• Few fans over 65 will feel safe from infection in a crowd whatever advice the government offers on shielding - and there are a lot of over-65's in our fanbase
  • It will be nigh on impossible to socially distance walking up to or away from the stadium
  • Services in the concourses and loos impossible to maintain safely and hygienically and without crowding
  • Ground capacity will be strictly limited - whether 1600 or 3200 - through social distancing
  • Who of the current ST regulars will get the few tickets available?        15k very Brassed Off people
  • Will there be any tickets at all for fans who don't buy Sts?                      Another 10k really Peed Off folk

At the moment the club seems too have its head buried in the sand ( disingenuous) by encouraging all fans to renew without any of these questions having been addressed or answered satisfactorily.

I see trouble ahead

The capacity will be the interesting thing, even with a 1 metre social distancing that equates to every other seat and every other row or a V shaped pattern between people sitting in rows....however season ticket holders who live together or are in one of these bubble things would be able to sit together so that would add to the capacity. Nothing is straightforward with any of this and I would assume no away fans and very few if any non season ticket holders will be among those first in attendance when the red light for some spectators is finally given the go ahead.