Saints Greatest XI - Nominations For Best RM.

St Landrew

Now here's where the flak is going to start flying. The right side of midfield in a 4-4-2 formation. Call it Right Wing if you want, it amounts to same thing for many players that have played down that side of the pitch.

Remember, we're not looking for legends, just the very best players.

Remember also, there's only one nomination that will be taken notice of, even if you mention 2 or 3 players. So you'd better be clear who you thought was the very best. Also remember that some players could play all over the park, and some were more effective in their prime position.

Remember finally, that once a player has made it into the A team, or the B team, they are no longer eligible for nomination or voting. So think carefully before you go with a gut feeling. I think this is one of the first of several positions where there is more than one player vying for the title of best footballer ever to have appeared in a Saints shirt.

This nominations thread runs until Sunday night. You have been warned. This is going to be tough, and there will undoubtedly be arguments. Settle them here. ;)

Edited by St Landrew

depends on what position le tiss will be in...if im assuming le tissier will be plugged for LW then for RW i will go for Paine

My thinking too!

You can't have an all time Saints team without Paine, MLT and Channon even though they all excelled at RW at some stage of their careers.

I would be tempted to put Paine at RW in an all time World X1!

Fat bloke, scored a few legendary goals, what was his name again?

Hammill? Don't remember the legendary goals :) Oh you must mean that other guy, don't remember his name, foreign sounding, thought he was mainly more central, playing behind the strikers.

I think the obvious candidate is Terry Paine, having discounted Paul Telfer and Fabrice :rolleyes: The trouble is the different formations played over the years. If you are talking an out and out winger (the original #7) then it has to be Paine. But in a 4-4-2, I'm not so sure, would Steve Williams fit there, or would he be better in CM?

Anyway I will go with Terry. There are certain players for SFC over the years that have to be included, whatever position, Paine, Channon, Davies, Ball, Tiss.

might be easier to do three nomintions for wide and attacking midfield and one defensive

Sorry. We have this format and formation of 4-4-2, as almost every nominated player will have played in such a formation, and although some might see it as unfair, it just means that we end up sorting the positions out. If you've been reading the earlier threads, you'll know that we'll be nominating 2 players for Central Midfield, that is RCM and LCM, and vote for 2 players in those positions. Then we'll nominate for LM and vote for that player. The 2 strikers up front will have individual nominations and votes.

Afterwards, we'll have a subs bench and possibly a manager too. ;)

Anyway, back to today's RM vote - Terry Paine.

OK, peeps. It's nearly 1 o'clock on saturday afternoon, and practically all we have at RM is Terry Paine. We'll need a player for the B team. I'm not going to ask you to name a second player at present, but we might come to that if it ends up so one-sided, and we need a nomination for the B team.

OK, peeps. It's nearly 1 o'clock on saturday afternoon, and practically all we have at RM is Terry Paine. We'll need a player for the B team. I'm not going to ask you to name a second player at present, but we might come to that if it ends up so one-sided, and we need a nomination for the B team.

Eric Day.

Le Tiss surely has to be a central midfielder... In the hole with a more defensive minded option next to him...

Right Midfield for me goes to Fabrice Fernandes. I'm sure I'd plump for Paine but it was a bit before my time. Technically Fernandes was a brilliant player and for 2 seasons there werent that many better players in the Prem that did what he did. I still think he'd be a good player to this day had we let him go to Liverpool but I think once it became clear we wouldnt let him go, he started losing his way.

God, this is going to get messy as we progress on to the other positions!

Terry Paine for this one though.

Eric Day.

I appreciate that peeps. Thanks to WS, we now have a stalking horse [that's what they call them, isn't it..?] Please don't start nominating genuine players just yet for the B team. I may decide we [i'm 90% certain we will] need a separate nomination for the second best player, in order that we don't end up with a major faux pas. There will be enough blood spilt in later polls.

Cheers

EDIT: Btw, people wishing to look back at previous threads on Saints Greatest XI now only have to pop across to Golden Posts. They are sleeping there for now while I compile an article, or series, on Saints greatest teams, for the main site.

Edited by St Landrew

Sorry. We have this format and formation of 4-4-2, as almost every nominated player will have played in such a formation, and although some might see it as unfair, it just means that we end up sorting the positions out. If you've been reading the earlier threads, you'll know that we'll be nominating 2 players for Central Midfield, that is RCM and LCM, and vote for 2 players in those positions. Then we'll nominate for LM and vote for that player. The 2 strikers up front will have individual nominations and votes.

Afterwards, we'll have a subs bench and possibly a manager too. ;)

Anyway, back to today's RM vote - Terry Paine.

But zhat ish not zhe shouzampton way now, f'shure... ;)

Le Tiss surely has to be a central midfielder... In the hole with a more defensive minded option next to him...

Right Midfield for me goes to Fabrice Fernandes. I'm sure I'd plump for Paine but it was a bit before my time. Technically Fernandes was a brilliant player and for 2 seasons there werent that many better players in the Prem that did what he did. I still think he'd be a good player to this day had we let him go to Liverpool but I think once it became clear we wouldnt let him go, he started losing his way.

For Matt? they might all fall in...

I appreciate that peeps. Thanks to WS, we now have a stalking horse [that's what they call them, isn't it..?] Please don't start nominating genuine players just yet for the B team. I may decide we [i'm 90% certain we will] need a separate nomination for the second best player, in order that we don't end up with a major faux pas. There will be enough blood spilt in later polls.

Cheers

EDIT: Btw, people wishing to look back at previous threads on Saints Greatest XI now only have to pop across to Golden Posts. They are sleeping there for now while I compile an article, or series, on Saints greatest teams, for the main site.

so far you got Paine, Eric Day, Danny Wallace and Fernandes.

but scanning through the posts it looks like there is only Terry Paine. lol

I was going to say Terry Paine but seeing as so many others have said it and I'm not sure if would win of the 2 striker slots I'll say.........

Mick Channon

By doing that you could relegate Channon to the B team and then we couldn't vote for him to be a main striker! Davies and Channon upfront has to be a possibility...

By doing that you could relegate Channon to the B team and then we couldn't vote for him to be a main striker! Davies and Channon upfront has to be a possibility...

Yes, it is a possibility, but so are any 2 from them Shearer, Keegan, Phil Boyer, Steve Moran, possibly MLT and, given that Dodd got voted into the B team ahead of Mick Mills (which goes to show that a lot of younger posters on here are voting for who they have seen, not just heard about) the likes of Beattie, Rasiak, Stern John or even Walcott.

Actually, the latter could be a possible nomination for this position (certainly better than Ridgely and Fernandez, for example) but IMHO the best RW we ever had was TP and the second best was MC, so maybe they should be in those positions for the A and B teams respectively?

Yes, it is a possibility, but so are any 2 from them Shearer, Keegan, Phil Boyer, Steve Moran, possibly MLT and, given that Dodd got voted into the B team ahead of Mick Mills (which goes to show that a lot of younger posters on here are voting for who they have seen, not just heard about) the likes of Beattie, Rasiak, Stern John or even Walcott.

Actually, the latter could be a possible nomination for this position (certainly better than Ridgely and Fernandez, for example) but IMHO the best RW we ever had was TP and the second best was MC, so maybe they should be in those positions for the A and B teams respectively?

Channon was the second best RW we have ever had but he was also the most exciting striker (IMHO), it would be good to be able to nominate him for that position...

Terry Paine, the best crosser with either foot we've ever had. A brilliant football brain and could dribble.

Fernandez in comparison was an under 10 tyro standard who went round in circles, and almost never got to the byeline, always checking back.

Terry Paine, the best crosser with either foot we've ever had. A brilliant football brain and could dribble.

Fernandez in comparison was an under 10 tyro standard who went round in circles, and almost never got to the byeline, always checking back.

I think Fernandez was a bit better than Tyro league football but I agree about him never getting to the byline when on the right, this is because he was a natural left footer and he always cut into the middle to deliver the ball with his left peg.

I think Fernandez was a bit better than Tyro league football but I agree about him never getting to the byline when on the right, this is because he was a natural left footer and he always cut into the middle to deliver the ball with his left peg.

I said by comparison, I could have said nowhere near or vastly inferior.

Ahem... would those people who have nominated MLT for this position like to change their minds.. that is, if they have a mind to change, because clearly they haven't been using their noodles, as Matty is in severe danger of NOT making the A Team by coming a true second to Terry Paine at RM. Hopefully, MLT won't be voted for if he makes the voting list.

Think about it, if you can. :)

Terry Paine.No debate.Full stop.

Paine would take this position entirely on his own merits as a RM,but the thought of Paine and Golac working on the right,possibly with some triangular passing involving Channon and Ball is an awesome one.

Paine and Golac on our right,pity any poor bastard attacking down the opponents left.

Terry Paine it is (with Danny Wallace a close 2nd).

You must be joking,there is nothing close in that contest,Paine was light years ahead of Wallace in ability.

Ahem... would those people who have nominated MLT for this position like to change their minds.. that is, if they have a mind to change, because clearly they haven't been using their noodles, as Matty is in severe danger of NOT making the A Team by coming a true second to Terry Paine at RM. Hopefully, MLT won't be voted for if he makes the voting list.

Think about it, if you can. :)

I think MLT should just go straight in at LW..no need to vote really is there...