Saints Greatest XI - Nominations For Best RM.

St Landrew

I think MLT should just go straight in at LW..no need to vote really is there...

Amen!

I think we should go through a little voting process, in fact we'll need to. I'll want to know who comes second to Le God, but I agree, wasting an entire week on an obvious conclusion is a little silly.

I've a bad feeling MLT's going to be second to Davies, Channon, Keegan and maybe even Moran as a striker. He's also going to be pushed by Ball, Williams, Case and Armstrong as a midfielder. He wasn't really a left winger so he'll probably lose out to Sydenham or somebody there.

There isn't going to be an "in the hole" option, so we'd better all think about where he's going to fit in.

Seious business

I've a bad feeling MLT's going to be second to Davies, Channon, Keegan and maybe even Moran as a striker. He's also going to be pushed by Ball, Williams, Case and Armstrong as a midfielder. He wasn't really a left winger so he'll probably lose out to Sydenham or somebody there.

There isn't going to be an "in the hole" option, so we'd better all think about where he's going to fit in.

Serious business

As I said, there may be some blood spilt in the coming weeks. ;)

EDIT: I remember some years back on one of the Saints videos, the two presenters tried to find a Best XI. Matty got in that one, but only in the last position of a 4-2-4 formation, and there was little logic to the decision. They left out Ball, Dennis, Keegan, Moran, Armstrong and loads of others superb players.

Edited by St Landrew

Seious business

Therein lies the enigma of MLT.

Genius,brilliant player and a one man rescue mission for us when we really needed him.But for all his skill and talent - which was undoubtedly world class-when he was at his peak,he could not always conform to a system of play,unless he was central to it.

Perhaps,just perhaps, and as unpalatable as it seems we can now see the difficulty faced by a number of Saints and England managers in accomodating him.

Of course on individual merit on he should be in a Greatest Saints XI,but it may need to be adapted for him in formation or style for him to be effective.

Sydenham was good but he wasn't a genius - MLT will get the LW/LM position easily (provided he doesn't end up RW in the B Team beforehand!).

MLT was a genius, but he wasn't a left winger.

But he did play LM on many occasions, and was given leave to roam all over the park, but mainly dovetailing with Rod Wallace at RM. I don't have a problem with Matty being at LM, but many people will want others in that position. Where, for example, does Dave Armstrong go..? Look at DA's stats and consider that he played for Saints during one of the most successful times, and he was ever present. How can he not be at LM..?

Well that's why we have a B Team, and a subs bench. I'm sure all the best players will eventually emerge, but there will be disappointments.

Anyway, this nominations thread is coming to a close soon. I'm just going to check the names, and then decide what to do.

OK, I've made my decision on this one. Sorry if this bit is a little less democratic than it has been so far, but the results are not even worth voting about. Of 8 named candidates, Terry Paine has out nominated them by at least 10 to 1, and in most cases 20 to 1.

Therefore, without any further action, I'm declaring Terry Paine as the best ever RM for Saints. I think that's a fair decision.. OK..?

Right..! Having said that, I want nominations for the second best quality RM ever to have donned the Saints shirt. Of course, you will not be able to nominate Terry Paine..!