Saints Greatest XI - Nominations For 2nd Best RM.

St Landrew

Yes, Terry Paine walked it by a country mile. So to fend off any embarrassing or painful faux pas, I now want your nominations for the RM who'll fill the spot in the B team. In effect, the second best RM Saints ever had. But be careful who you nominate, because if that player goes on to be voted for, and wins, he cannot be in the A team at any position, nor the subs bench.

You have been warned, and there are really plenty to choose from, so we don't need to do silly things here. ;)

Now please nominate for the 2nd best RM.

As it happens, I'm going to nominate one of my favourite players of all time - Alan Ball, who started out as a right winger, and stayed right sided, although he roamed all over the park, at times. He's good enough to be in the A Team, but I don't think he'll get in there. If we'd never had Terry Paine, I'd have wanted Bally as my best ever RM.

Good call that. Ball for the B-team!

Of course you do realise that our RB Alf Ramsey disagreed with me, but this time with the England team. He had Terry Paine in at RM, and changed his mind and put Bally in there instead. That sort of ended Painer's England career. ;)

Oh btw, nominations end tonight.

I don't think Bally ever played right midfield for Saints, so don't think you should consider him there.

Before choosing any of the front 6, I think you should have a poll to determine what position Matt's going to be played in, as you could make a case for either wing, striker or (possibly) centre midfield.

Once that's decided, it would then be easier to organise the rest of the team without excluding any 'greats'.

I don't think Bally ever played right midfield for Saints, so don't think you should consider him there.

Before choosing any of the front 6, I think you should have a poll to determine what position Matt's going to be played in, as you could make a case for either wing, striker or (possibly) centre midfield.

Once that's decided, it would then be easier to organise the rest of the team without excluding any 'greats'.

I think you'll find he did. Besides, it doesn't matter too much. Bally was a known high quality RM, and for that reason alone, he can be picked to appear there.

I find this incredible. First MLT misses put on the RM slot and now it looks like he's going to be overlooked for the B team too. With "fans" with such poor memories of a true legend, we deserve just the results we're getting.

If he is nominated for the B team he can't be in the A team, that's why.

I find this incredible. First MLT misses put on the RM slot and now it looks like he's going to be overlooked for the B team too. With "fans" with such poor memories of a true legend, we deserve just the results we're getting.

As Derry clearly understands, and you are misunderstanding. We KNOW MLT is good enough to get into the A team, but he would have been in the B team or nowhere if it had gone to a vote. As it happens, he would have made the last 6, and probably would have been in the B Team at RM. Would you have wanted that..? Thought not.

Don't worry, I'm not such an idiot that he won't appear somewhere in the line-up. For my money RCM, alongside Jimmy Case or Steve Williams at LCM. Happier now..?

Given that I'd have MLT in a central role, it's a tough choice. I would probably say Tessem, but only because I never saw players like Chicken George and Wallace play.

If you had seen Eric Day you wouldn't have even mentioned Tessem and Lawrence. Danny was a good little player.

what..?

Look, you don't understand, right..? I've explained the situation until I'm blue in the face, and I'm not going to try anymore. For what it's worth, a lot of people DO understand why MLT shouldn't be appearing in this position. So just hang fire, alright..? Trust me.

Look, you don't understand, right..? I've explained the situation until I'm blue in the face, and I'm not going to try anymore. For what it's worth, a lot of people DO understand why MLT shouldn't be appearing in this position. So just hang fire, alright..? Trust me.

im still lost..will MLT be in the A team?

If I can help it... YES. But this is meant to be democratic. I know everyone will want Matty in the A team somewhere, but he couldn't take Painer's place, that was obvious. And he's too good to be in the B team. So he has to go elsewhere. Like RCM or LCM for instance.

Now, no more questioning. Nominations end late tonight.

Yes - if you vote for him when he comes up for selection. Some people (norwaysaint) seem to think that he should be in the B team and then accuse us of 'having poor memories of a true legend'!

It's a good job this isn't an intelligence test...

So much depends on where the others are going to go in my team.

True right wingers would have to be Paine or Channon, but MLT also played wide right (especially under Nicholl).

If I go for Paine, then MLT and Channon have to go up front, but that causs problems for including Keegan.

Therefore Paine is my RM, Matty gets a CM free role and Channon up front with Keegan

I'm a bit concerned that MLT isn't even going to get in the B team! Ok, maybe his work rate let him down, but he more than made up for it in ability. This is mental.

Either

a) you are teasing

or

b) you haven't read anything that St Landrew has written...

Did MLT not get enough England caps or something? How can you overlook his quality, not only for the 'A' team, but also the 'B' team. If our fans have such short memories, we deserve the awful results we're getting at the moment, call it karmic retribution.

Did MLT not get enough England caps or something? How can you overlook his quality' date=' not only for the 'A' team, but also the 'B' team. If our fans have such short memories, we deserve the awful results we're getting at the moment, call it karmic retribution.[/quote']

You are right - nobody on here thinks that MLT should be in the best ever saints team.

You are the only one who thinks he was a genius.

We all think that George Lawrence was a far superior player...

His ability was mercurial though J9, to be fair, despite some morons getting confused on here, it's clear he should be in these polls.

On that we all agree but, unlike Buzzin Orn, the rest of us think that he should be in the A Team somewhere and not in the B Team!

OK folks, that's it for the nominations. Thanks for your efforts and [lack of] understanding [by not reading the very words in front of you] I'm closing the nominations thread now because nobody is actually nominating anymore but talking about why MLT isn't being considered for a position in the B Team.

We have 6 players to choose from, and Matty isn't one of them [executive decision for the good of all]. Those that do understand please explain to those that don't. I've had it with people who can't be bothered to read, even those that are just doing it to tease. When the Central and Left-sided midfield nominations come up we can do this all again.

Now get voting for Saints SECOND BEST Right-Midfielder.

Ta.