Saints Greatest XI - Best Centre Midfielders Poll

St Landrew

Saints Greatest XI - The Best Centre Midfielders Poll  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Saints Greatest XI - The Best Centre Midfielders Poll

VOTE FOR TWO PLAYERS PLEASE**

Thanks for the nominations. To avoid confusion over the choices I've posted all the players nominated. The Poll software allows an absolute maximum of 10 players. But, if the field of players exceeds that total, then I need some measurement to weed the numbers down. Here are the results of the nominations.

Steve Williams [10]

Matt Le Tissier [18]

Alan Ball [16]

David Armstrong [7]

Kevin Keegan [2]

Jimmy Case [7]

Matt Oakley, Anders Svensson, Jim McCalliog, Barry Venison, Ronnie Ekelund, Chris Marsden, Glenn Co ckerill got 1 nomination each. Obviously, this takes us over the limit of 10 players, and there is no mechanism for weeding out the players with one nomination each.

Someone who earlier accused me of taking all this too seriously, put in 2 joke nominations for Rory Delap and Jermaine Wright. If I was taking this really seriously, I'd infract the poster for making an obvious sarcastic comment and not acting in the spirit of the thread. As I'm not, I just ignored the nominations. OK, I'll say RD and JW got a nomination. It makes no difference, as we have a measurement to pare down the list. Those players that received more than one nomination have proceeded to the final vote.

As before, you are voting on player quality in the CM position. No legend status thanks, despite the obvious legends in the final list. VOTE FOR TWO PLAYERS of your choice. Once again this will be a public vote.

**Sorry, accidentally saw the result of the first voter. It was a single vote. I give up. PEOPLE JUST DON'T F**KING READ it seems.

Edited by St Landrew
Update

i nominated barry vennison..

I should point out that i was taking the mick...he was gash with gash hair..

Never mind. So were Carlton Palmer and Terry Hurlock [iMO].

But I have noticed some clever tactical voting....

.... you lot are saving David Armstrong for LM, aren't ya..? I've under-estimated you. :D

Him and John Sydenham, Tom Jenkins, .... blah, blah...

BTW, if you think you're saving KK for one of the two strikers, you'll be meeting with a fair bit of opposition.;)

Edited by St Landrew

It's Wednesday, and there's voting up to very early Saturday morning, 2.33am to be exact. As of this moment, of the 106 people who have voted, 22 of them have cast single votes. That's a fifth of all voters..! This means there are 22 votes as yet undecided. If the vote is within 22 of any of the candidates making a team or failing, I will ask these 22 if they care to cast their remaining vote. I know who they are - it's dead easy to find out. But it's a damn sight easier to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST.

I mean, how blind do you have to be not to realise that we want you to choose 2 players on this vote..?

I only voted for MLT because I wasn't around when the others were playing.

Oh, I see. So you can't make a judgement on anyone you haven't had any personal experience of..? So the jury's out on Adolf Hitler..! And I'm supposed to be the one taking this seriously..? :D

Look, all joking aside, if you have no personal experience, why not look at the careers of the players concerned as a guide, and how successful Saints were during their involvement..? There are only 5 others, so it won't take long. I'm sure you'll come to a reasoned result in the end. If anything, you'll know a lot more about the other 5 players than you did before you started.

And if anyone else has voted for only one player because of that same reason; try the same tactic I've outlined above.

Obviously I am voting for Bally. He was not only the best midfielder we ever had but one of the best this country ever produced. Most of all he was a leader on the pitch. How we could do with him now. He always knew what to do.

Matty was Le God and incomparable but I cannot regard him as a midfielder. I know, technically, he was played in that position but he was a totally different player to the others in the group. I would have to say the same about Keegan. I suspect they both regarded themselves as forwards.

Obviously I am voting for Bally. He was not only the best midfielder we ever had but one of the best this country ever produced. Most of all he was a leader on the pitch. How we could do with him now. He always knew what to do.

Matty was Le God and incomparable but I cannot regard him as a midfielder. I know, technically, he was played in that position but he was a totally different player to the others in the group. I would have to say the same about Keegan. I suspect they both regarded themselves as forwards.

Can't argue too much with your first paragraph. However, I think I can take issue with your second. MLT was never a full blown forward in his Saints days. Whether he played in that position for Vale Recreation [his club in Guernsey] is another matter. Matty is officially recognised as the first, and I think still, only midfielder to have scored 100 goals in the Premiership, although players like Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard are on the brink of joining him. However, the important fact is that MLT was a midfielder, whether he scored a lot of goals or not.

Kevin Keegan was indeed a forward, although in many games for Saints, especially during away matches, he played very deep; practically an attacking midfielder, and fed Steve Moran. They made an extremely effective partnership, as a certain Alan Hanson will tell you from personal experience. In recent years, Marian Pahars has sometimes played as similar role for Saints.

what about stan 'the man' clements, he was awesome!

I think I'll distribute infraction points to the next person who comes on here, plainly having not read the voting rules, and buggers off again having only voted for one player.

I'm so p!ssed off for feeling ill on this day that I'm in the mood to do it. So vote for two players and go and enjoy your Crimbo, because I'm not. :mad:

Well [thankfully] we've reached that time when the poll has closed and I can announce the results of Saints best players occupying the CM positions. I know there has been disagreement whether one or two of these players are CMs or not. But whatever they do, they certainly can line up in those positions. Btw, thanks for your votes.

A clear favourite, not unnaturally was Matthew Le Tissier - The God. Quite simply the most sublimely skilled player ever to grace the Saints pitch, and yes, I do include any of the opposition players, IMO, including Chelsea's voted best player - Gianfranco Zola. And I cant find any higher praise than that. So here are the line ups. Allow me a little licence if I put MLT in the LCM position. He could play anywhere across the midfield and be outstanding, but RCM was the older Alan Ball's best position, so I've arranged them thus, so far.

For the A Team

------------------Shilton-------------------

Golac----Wright-----Svensson-----Bridge

Paine------Ball------Le Tissier--------?---

and the B Team

------------------Niemi--------------------

Dodd---Lundekvam----Watson----Dennis

D.Wallace-Williams-----Case---------?---

The interesting thing is that looking at the two teams building up; one begins to wonder which side would win most matches if the two teams played each other [given that the players were in their peak playing form for Saints]. The A team consists of best players, but are the B team more effective..? We'll obviously get a better idea the closer get to a full team. So in order to do that we'll start the nominations for Saints best LM. This time it's one player only, and you [again obviously] can't nominate any of the players whose position is now fixed in place.