Saints Greatest XI - Nominations For Best LM

St Landrew

We'll finish the midfield in true 4-4-2 style by nominating the Left sided midfielder that befits the best ever team of individuals we've seen between us.

There are going to be obvious favourites, I know. Please put any considerations of legendary status aside, and let the real quality shine through. Btw, when you've thought about your choice, do make sure that he hasn't already been picked in another midfield position..!

Just so you're clear on this, midfield players you CAN'T NOMINATE include:

Terry Paine

Alan Ball

Matt Le Tissier

Danny Wallace

Steve Williams

Jimmy Case

These players are in the A and B teams. Every other midfielder is up for nomination. So.. away you go. One player only remember..!

**Forgot to mention - nominations end late Sunday night.

Edited by St Landrew

Hey there...mmm, it'd have to include David Armstrong - still to this day the definitive modern left mid and John Sydenham - the classic left winger. However depending how you fit in the true superstars Saints in there maybe an argument for putting the Wiltshire Windmill out there as you have to fit Big Ron and one other up top FFS

... I would have liked MLT in this position

Yeah, same here.

As it is, I came on here to give Nick Holmes the nod, despite my preference for David Armstrong. But I can see Nick Holmes is well represented, and will almost certainly get into next weeks poll unassisted by me. Keep up the nominations though. If there are more than 6, then only those with the most nominations will make it.

David Armstrong for me then.

David Armstrong.When he joined us he was left wing-left midfield-left back in one,often during the same game.Double figure goal tally most seasons,.

Marsden was a slimline but lesser quality version of DA.Nick Holmes depite his service and local connections,nowhere near DA.

David Armstrong, the best LM I have seen in a Saints shirt by a country mile.

By the way, with only this position and the strikers to vote for, what is going to happen with subs? How many are we going to have? Just a suggestion, if we were to go for the current top filght rule of 7 we could vote for:

1 x GK

1 x Fullback (RB or LB)

1 x CB

1 x CM

1 x RM or LM

1 x FWD

and finally, 1 x any player who we think should grace either team who has not already been selected.

David Armstrong, the best LM I have seen in a Saints shirt by a country mile.

By the way, with only this position and the strikers to vote for, what is going to happen with subs? How many are we going to have? Just a suggestion, if we were to go for the current top filght rule of 7 we could vote for:

1 x GK

1 x Fullback (RB or LB)

1 x CB

1 x CM

1 x RM or LM

1 x FWD

and finally, 1 x any player who we think should grace either team who has not already been selected.

Subs will be there, but I had not given much thought to how many we should have, and what approach we should have in choosing them. I think your suggestion has a lot going for it. PM me during the vote for the last striker position, and we'll finalise that. Nice one.

One more worth a mention, John Hoskins 220 games 64 goals.

Good one, I had forgotten John Hoskins as I was very young when I saw him play. It was D3S days so the opposition was not as tough as David Armstrong and Nick Holmes had to contend with.

Not the quickest but very clever, once saw him lift the ball over the full back, run outside the pitch, and back on, carry on with the ball.

That was in the days when wide players knew how to play wide! and only needed one touch to control the ball.

It has to be John Sydenham, the quickest player by a long way ever to play for Saints.

On his day John Hoskins was a tricky winger (saw him score from an impossible angle against Brighton once) but he was a bit erratic and was often replaced in that position by Johnny Walker (they even tried Tommy Traynor there).

Generally wingers are often erratic, Tommy Jenkins could be sensational one week and useless the next whilst the steadiness of Harry Penk was preferred to the speed of John Sydenham for a while.

Nick Holmes -

Why? because we have a collective memory loss, in the old days, the number of times the "Under West Stand" central stander uppers moaned and groaned at Armstrong, you'd think at times he was Terry Curran.

Quality footballer, but over the length of his career, Nick Holmes would be my nomination.

Never a superstar but always missed when he wasn't playing

I know this may be sacrilege, because David Armstrong was undoubtedly one of our best purely left-sided midfielders, but when you think who hasn't made the first team on the right and central there are many better players than him.

For this long winded reason I will nominate Marian (in a very attacking line up!)

I'll only accept the first of those nominations, so you'd better decide which one it is. And that goes for everyone who hasn't made it clear, if they have mentioned more than one name.

You all have been told many times before, by now.

I like to make you work hard StL. :-)

Armstrong then. As he didn't get into the central midfielders slot.