Saints Greatest XI - Nominations For Best Right Forward/Striker

St Landrew

Now it's time to nominate the greatest striker, in living memory, ever to grace a Saints side, on the right of a pair. Only one player mind, and remember to suspend that favourite player or legend idea, and go for the best. No reputations required, just quality. There's many to have graced Saints attacks over the years, so let's have them here.

If you mention more than one player, I will count only the first unless you especially want another player nominated. By the end of Sunday, if there are more than 6 players nominated, the ones with the most nominations will go into the final vote. Now you've been told for the umpteenth time. Get nominating.

Please note: due to a very good suggestion from rpb, this week's vote will only decide the right side A-team striker. Next week will decide the B-Team striker on the right.

Edited by St Landrew

Well Ron Davies and Mick Channon are the two greatest strikers to have graced the Saints side, but there are dozens of others. Even before most of our Saints supporting lives, these are the two that stand out in conversation with the past generations of Saints fans. (Phew, I avoided the terminology "old" there!)

In lieu of only having one nomination, I will reserve Micky until the second slot, and go for Ron Davies.

I think Beattie should get an honnourable mention too. Strikers who have managed 20 Prem goals in a season are pretty rare for smaller teams. Was also a key player in our best season in recent history.

Won't win, but I'd stick him in the poll out to see how many he gets.

Peter Osgood and Charlie George deserve mentions as being great players who played up front for us (allbeit occassionally in the case of Charlie)

and so of course does the McDougall/Boyer partnership which was wonderful to watch but it has to be............

The nomination is Mick Channon - Right Side of a two, he was always better on that side which leaves Big Ron alongside in the next mnominations

as can only nominate from past 20 years

my choices are limited to

Dowie - not good enough

Shearer - was good but only became englands no. 9 after leaving Dell

Shipperley - no way

Watson - better bloke than player

Ostenstad - slim chance, if only because he scored hat trick aginst manure

Davies - some great goals plus he allowed us to mug blackburn twice

Hirst- good season till his injury jinx hit big name player at the time

Beattie - played his best football for us prob best so far in list

Pahars - was nearly a legend but for injury joins beats at top of list

Ormerod - tried hard but didn't score many

Phillips - simillar to Hirst was good when fit was bigger name than hirst

Crouch - proved himself enough to play champions league ( not at sms long enough )

Fuller/ Rasiak/ Saga/ BWP/ any other ccc forward - DIDN'T PLAY PREM DONT COUNT

Jones (exception) - had potential but only saw him in ccc

So choice is Pahars or Beattie

Beattie due to slightly better strike rate

Got to be Ron Davies.

We have had some great strikers over the years, but none as prolific.

He had terrific service for Terry Paine and John Sydenham.

Thank you guys for great times.

Would prefer Ron on the left so that he is at the far post for Paine's crosses.

Thought it might be interesting to look at goals per game ratios of past Saints forwards. Quite surprising near the top.

Ron Davies 240 games 134 goals = 0.558

Kevin Keegan 68 & 37 = 0.544

Ted McDougall 86 & 42 = 0.488

Steve Moran 217 & 99 = 0.456

Mick Channon 1st time 391 & 157 =0.402

Phil Boyer 138 & 49 = 0.355

Rod Wallace 128 & 45 = 0.352

James Beattie 204 & 68 = 0.333

Marian Pahars 137 & 43 = 0.314

Danny Wallace 253 & 64 = 0.253

Joe Jordan 48 & 12 = 0.250

Charlie George 44 & 11 = 0.250

Mick Channon 2nd time 119 & 28 = 0.235

Peter Osgood 126 & 28 = 0.222

Alan Shearer 118 & 23 = 0.195

Frank Worthington 34 & 4 = 0.118

I'm surprised you didn't go for a straight front 2 St L. Most people know who their favourite front 2 are but the decisions will be split on who should be right and who should be left.

This has to be the hardest 2 positions as there are so many great players to choose from. I think most people of a certain age would go for Mick C and Big Ron, but there are so many other younger supporters who will pick/vote for those they have seen play (i.e. Marian, BT, etc).

Personally, I only ever saw Big Ron play a few times when I was a very young nipper. Mick C I saw a lot more of. And, both of them have lots of votes. So, I'll go for:

Kevin Keegan

You'll get your chance to nominate the other forward next weekend.

I may have got this wrong, but isn't it the case that if Mick Channon and Ron Davies are both nominated (as they pretty certainly will be, looking at the posts so far) and they then come first and the second in the voting, one will be in the first team and the other in the B team. This would then leave the B team player unavailable for nomination for the other position.

So we could end up with either Mick or Ron not in the first team, which seems a nonsense to me.

I may have got this wrong, but isn't it the case that if Mick Channon and Ron Davies are both nominated (as they pretty certainly will be, looking at the posts so far) and they then come first and the second in the voting, one will be in the first team and the other in the B team. This would then leave the B team player unavailable for nomination for the other position.

So we could end up with either Mick or Ron not in the first team, which seems a nonsense to me.

Agreed.

Why can't we vote for a pair, like with the centre-backs?

Thought it might be interesting to look at goals per game ratios of past Saints forwards. Quite surprising near the top.

Ron Davies 240 games 134 goals = 0.558

Kevin Keegan 68 & 37 = 0.544

Ted McDougall 86 & 42 = 0.488

Steve Moran 217 & 99 = 0.456

Mick Channon 1st time 391 & 157 =0.402

Phil Boyer 138 & 49 = 0.355

Rod Wallace 128 & 45 = 0.352

James Beattie 204 & 68 = 0.333

Marian Pahars 137 & 43 = 0.314

Danny Wallace 253 & 64 = 0.253

Joe Jordan 48 & 12 = 0.250

Charlie George 44 & 11 = 0.250

Mick Channon 2nd time 119 & 28 = 0.235

Peter Osgood 126 & 28 = 0.222

Alan Shearer 118 & 23 = 0.195

Frank Worthington 34 & 4 = 0.118

You left out DMG!

That was my point too. It would better to nominate and vote for best 2 like was done for centre half.

That's very true and will most likely happen - could you not suspend the B Team selection until the A team is sorted, StL?

That's very true and will most likely happen - could you not suspend the B Team selection until the A team is sorted, StL?

The reason I went for the nomination of one striker per week is that there is a very great danger of a striker partnership appearing, if you nominate 2 players at the same time. Though they need not necessarily be the 2 best players. But that's a very sensible idea - we'll consider the B team striker separately. We need not start again, as the usual suspects, so to speak, are being nominated, but only one player will come out on top of the final vote.

I will edit the initial message.

Cheers.

Although not my nomination there has to a mention of Derek Reeves here, he does hold the record for the most goals in a season.

Derek played left of George O'Brien, I believe. So I'll nominate George. No bugger it, I'll nominate Derek Reeves instead. Never saw him play, but by all accounts, he was a cracking striker. Apparently fell over a lot, in the oops, my studs are too short kind of way, rather than the ref, ref, this bastard's taken me out again, kind of way.

Dammit..! Charlie Wayman. In for a penny..! ;)