164 members have voted

1. 1. Saints Greatest XI - The Best Right Side Striker/Forward Poll

• James Beattie
    • Phil Boyer
    • Mick Channon
    • Ron Davies
    • Steve Moran
    • Marian Pahars

This is for the A Team only. There will be no B Team result this week. So vote freely.

The final 6 for the vote are:

Mick Channon

Ron Davies

Steve Moran

James Beattie

Marian Pahars

Phil Boyer

While that leaves out several superb strikers, it's an indication how rich Saints have been in this area of the pitch, in the past. Next week, all players who don't make this team, including those not in the final 6, or not even nominated so far, are free to be voted for in subsequent weeks voting.

There is a danger here, if the vote splites between Mick Channon and Ron Davies then neither might make the team which in thinkable - so if you think these are the best choice strike partnership (which they obvioulsy are!) then let's vote for MICK this time and then ensure RON gets the other spot in the next poll.

only voting for players I have seen, so Channon for me, not sure who else but not ron davies

He is the best centre forward to play for Saints in the last 55 years. He would have been first choice in any team he played for.

In the team picked with Paine to cross, as he was probably the best attacking header of a ball ever, not just the Saints, he would be a shoe in. Nobody in the list is in the same class. He also played with Channon.

Keegan is a little unfortunate, but leaving as he did I think devalued him.

TBF, Big Ron used to always attack the far post and received more right wing crosses from Elvis Paine than anyone...whereas Mickey Channon always seemed to cheat (in the nice sense of the word) toward the near post or 'right forward' slot if any. So you just have to pick the pair, but maybe as 'Windmill' in the right slot and Big Ron at the back stick or left forward.

For the record Ron thought Channon was great and Big Chivers as good if not even better as far as partner goes.

He is the best centre forward to play for Saints in the last 55 years. He would have been first choice in any team he played for.

In the team picked with Paine to cross, as he was probably the best attacking header of a ball ever, not just the Saints, he would be a shoe in. Nobody in the list is in the same class. He also played with Channon.

Keegan is a little unfortunate, but leaving as he did I think devalued him.

shame I missed him, but guess, compared to those growing up on DMg etc at least I had Keegan, Channon, Osgood, Worthington, Le Tissier, Shearer, Moran, Boyer and off course George Lawrence

TBF, Big Ron used to always attack the far post and received more right wing crosses from Elvis Paine than anyone...whereas Mickey Channon always seemed to cheat (in the nice sense of the word) toward the near post or 'right forward' slot if any. So you just have to pick the pair, but maybe as 'Windmill' in the right slot and Big Ron at the back stick or left forward.

For the record Ron thought Channon was great and Big Chivers as good if not even better as far as partner goes.

I had a couple of seasons watching Martin Chivers at Saints. I never fully appreciated him at the time, certainly because I was so young. When Ron Davies came to Southampton, his soaring jumping ability just made a little lad totally awed. Whereas Chiv was probably a more rounded player, being extremely capable in all departments. It's little surprise that Chivers, at the time, became Saints biggest sale, costing Spurs £80,000 + Frank Saul [about £125,000 in total], in 1968. A staggering amount at the time. Older supporters will also know how well he teamed up with Spuds old boy, Alan Gilzean when he arrived at Tottenham. I think it's fair to say that his legendary status is somewhat overshadowed by Ron Davies and Mick Channon, perhaps unfairly too. Looking back, he was every inch a player of sheer quality. An England regular with 24 caps, and a Southampton lad too, remember.

Just checked with that book, and here's a snippet: During the 1965-66 season [one year before my starter], Chivers scored 30 goals in the opening 29 league games. He failed to find the net in the remaining 13 games. But that is just an amazing stat.

I agree that Martin Chivers is a forgotten Saint. I remember him and Ron getting six between them at Stamford Bridge. I guess because he moved on to Spurs to be replaced my Mick Channon he was soon a yesterday man as Mick became everyones hero.

Yes, i was there too. What a match. Ossie scored both Chelsea goals as well. Big Chiv was a phenomenal player but, as you say, for some reason, doesn't seem to have quite been written into Saints folklore. Can't understand why. I suppose because he left for Spurs! which is unforgivable of course!

Gilzean like Davies was so good in tha air and a perfect foil for Chivers.

Martin Chivers is also a very nice guy to boot and although still very much a Spurs supporter..ex-spurs football for charity etc..still retains an interest in Saints matters.

Taunton schoolboy who at one time lived near me in Southampton. I was to meet up with him years later at The Brookmans Hotel, he was running north of Barnet in Hertfordshire.

He came through CPC Saints nursery/Academy...See Rupert we had an Academy even in the swinging 60s. Maybe the number of games played or The Legend status Channon obtained blurred Chivers contribution to Saints. Great player anyway.