What films are you watching?

Pancake

• 2 months later...
Can see why Parasite is winning all the awards ... best film I have seen for years!

I lived in Korea and they love films. It is the greatest nation of cinema-goers in the world. There are so many great Korean movies but this is one of my favourites.

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2020 at 10:17 AM, Batman said:

Just watched Un-cut Gems on Netflix.

A decent film about a Jewish jewell broker (Adam Sandler) who is always in someones pocket and risks it all to survive.

a gritty performance from him too

Amazing teeth

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking through a list of films due for release this year, amongst the sequels, those based on computer games, and the ceaseless avalanche of Marvel and DC stories, there is one over-riding question;

Why the f**k is there yet another 'new' version of Batman ?

• 1 month later...
On 29/01/2022 at 09:52, badgerx16 said:

Why the f**k is there yet another 'new' version of Batman ?

That was my initial thought too, but I went to see it yesterday with a mate and it's actually really good. Much better than I expected.

There's no attempt to re-write history and create a whole new origin story or anything like that. It's just a very good stand-alone story with some excellent performances from the cast. Well worth a watch if you can manage the nearly 3hr runtime (it doesn't feel that long TBF).

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watched a film called "Significant Other" on telly the other night. Thought is was great...

Perhaps because I'd not heard of it and had not read the blurb before watching it, so started with, no/low expectations...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I watched Lust For Life recently for the first time. It's the 1956 film (based on the Irving Stone biographical novel) about the life of Vincent Van Gogh, which stars Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn. For a Hollywood film made in the '50s, it is surprisingly good--especially the performance of Kirk Douglas as Van Gogh. There is also a lot of location shooting (France, Belgium and The Netherlands), which is also unusual for a Hollywood film of that period. If you have an interest in the subject matter, I would recommend this film. A good companion piece to Loving Vincent.

• 5 months later...

Just seen Dune 2. Very good film, lots of sand, but for me, being pedantic, the ending seemed a bit rushed and spoilt by missing out important details and characters found in the closing chapters of the book.

Obviously it has been re-purposed to lead into the third film, to be based on Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

Zone of Interest. Horrors of the holocaust conveyed through sound and what's just out of camera shot. Engrossing and haunting.

Oh, and Oppenheimer for the second time, the night before. Needed to watch it again on the big screen before it leaves cinemas. So so good.

On 04/03/2024 at 17:02, badgerx16 said:

Just seen Dune 2. Very good film, lots of sand, but for me, being pedantic, the ending seemed a bit rushed and spoilt by missing out important details and characters found in the closing chapters of the book.

Obviously it has been re-purposed to lead into the third film, to be based on Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

I thought it was excellent - I can live with the variations to the source work but feel your comment about it being changed to helping leading in to the next film a little spurious - surely the books lead on - although there may be a gap between Dune and Dune Messiah - can't remember even though I only read the trilogy last year.

This is not a go by the way

2 hours ago, Saint Luke said:

I thought it was excellent - I can live with the variations to the source work but feel your comment about it being changed to helping leading in to the next film a little spurious - surely the books lead on - although there may be a gap between Dune and Dune Messiah - can't remember even though I only read the trilogy last year.

This is not a go by the way

Spoilers warning;

The span of this part of the story in the books is 3 years, in the film it is less than a year, ( measured by Princess Irulan's diary entries and Jessica's pregnancy ), and possibly little more than "'a season", ( according to one of Chani's lines of dialogue. ) Because of this certain details of the relationship between Paul and Chani don't fit in, nor the Baron's death, which I can accept, but Chani's ending rewrites the political impact of Paul's accession.

As a consequence there are characters and relationships that, whilst pre-existing in the book of Dune Messiah, have yet to be introduced in Villeneuve's Duniverse.

It's a bit like watching The Two Towers and seeing the Elves appear at Helm's Deep, I'm just a bit autistic about such things.

Edited by badgerx16

9 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Spoilers warning;

The span of this part of the story in the books is 3 years, in the film it is less than a year, ( measured by Princess Irulan's diary entries and Jessica's pregnancy ), and possibly little more than "'a season", ( according to one of Chani's lines of dialogue. ) Because of this certain details of the relationship between Paul and Chani don't fit in, nor the Baron's death, which I can accept, but Chani's ending rewrites the political impact of Paul's accession.

As a consequence there are characters and relationships that, whilst pre-existing in the book of Dune Messiah, have yet to be introduced in Villeneuve's Duniverse.

It's a bit like watching The Two Towers and seeing the Elves appear at Helm's Deep, I'm just a bit autistic about such things.

I've just been to see it, and based on your post, it's times like these that I'm glad I've never read the books and could just enjoy the film at face value.

The only frame of reference I have is the 1984 David Lynch version, which I did like when I was younger, but its many flaws are laid bare by the depth of DV's films. 

My only slight gripe is with the casting - as much as I like Rebecca Ferguson, she simply doesn't look old enough to be Timothee Chalamet's mum (she's only about 11 years older than him), so it's not convincing. But on the flip side, Austin Butler is infinitely more menacing as Feyd Rautha than Sting was 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

I just caught Dune as it left my local cinema. It's been a long time since I read any of the books. I had caught a few comments somewhere being a bit sniffy towards the Lynch version. Which I thought a bit unfair. I felt that, despite the increased running time, that the fall of the Attreides, specifically the lead up to it, was rushed in the first one, and that, very much like the 80s one, that a lot was crammed into the ending of this one.

Knowing how things would roughly go, I found that Rebecca Ferguson's arc was the interesting one, and that she gave a lot of weight to the film.

But it's really good to see it this sort of running time, with this sort of budget. The extra space allows for a lot of the complexity running through it to come out.