1. 1. Saints Greatest XI - The B-Team Right Side Striker Poll

• James Beattie
    • Phil Boyer
    • Martin Chivers
    • Ron Davies
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Steve Moran
    • Marian Pahars

Quite a few serious nominations, and obviously, quite a few not so serious. For example, anyone who thinks Uwe Rosler was one of the top 4 strikers ever to have appeared for Saints in living memory needs their head examined. And I thought I was the one with the befuddled brain..!

Anyway, to continue. Where several people were mentioned, the first player was taken in account, unless instructed otherwise. There were several neear misses, but this week we have a top 7 of players with more than one nomination. They are:

James Beattie [2]

Phil Boyer [3]

Martin Chivers [2]

Ron Davies [5]

Kevin Keegan [6]

Steve Moran [4]

Marian Pahars [3]

They're a fantastic 7 players to choose from, some being great enough to slot into any team. Please remember that you are voting for one player only, and that the winning candidate cannot be nominated or voted for in the A-Team next week or thereafter. So really we're after the third/fourth best striker ever to appear for Saints in our time. So choose carefully. The poll runs until early Saturday morning.

Edited by St Landrew

Whether it would have been easier this way or that is of no consequence. You look at the title of the thread, read the instructions and vote. Or you do as TDD does and write a one liner exclaiming confusion. Or just don't vote if you don't want to. It's because I listened to posters differing opinions that we changed the procedure slightly. But of course, I should have known that what pleases one will antagonise another.

Ta.

Whether it would have been easier this way or that is of no consequence. You look at the title of the thread, read the instructions and vote. Or you do as TDD does and write a one liner exclaiming confusion. Or just don't vote if you don't want to. It's because I listened to posters differing opinions that we changed the procedure slightly. But of course, I should have known that what pleases one will antagonise another.

Ta.

I can tell how you feel, I watch some of this and think 'oh dear, you do your best!'. I think you have done well to keep your patience and to get us this far in some degree of order and towards a sensible outcome. It is only a game after all but sometimes you wonder. I think some people really do think that this is the team we are going to be fielding once we have decided what it is!

Anyway, well done Landrew, as far as I am concerned.

I can tell how you feel, I watch some of this and think 'oh dear, you do your best!'. I think you have done well to keep your patience and to get us this far in some degree of order and towards a sensible outcome. It is only a game after all but sometimes you wonder. I think some people really do think that this is the team we are going to be fielding once we have decided what it is!

Anyway, well done Landrew, as far as I am concerned.

As you're a registered user I can't send you a PM thanks, so it'll have to be here. Ta, for your support and patience, Panda.

Keegan had a good engine and was box to box and was good enough to lace anyones boots and could rise like a salmon and knew where the onion bag was and played with a smile and loved his mother and was a no nonsence dyed in the wool professional.

So, who did you vote for?

Is it my imagination or is Ron Davies written in italics in the poll? Is this why so many short memoried want Keegan in instead? Is this a deliberate strategy of St Landrew's to stop us voting for a true saints legend?

Come on everybody! Vote for Ron, he's had it tough enough without becoming saints forgotten man!

Quite a few serious nominations, and obviously, quite a few not so serious. For example, anyone who thinks Uwe Rosler was one of the top 4 strikers ever to have appeared for Saints in living memory needs their head examined.

So you are telling us who is a serious contender and who isn't? Are we not allowed to think for ourselves?

Please, no-one else vote for Ron Davies.

You are entitled to your opinion and your vote, but you cannot force people to follow you.

No more votes for Steve Moran please, he should be in the A team slot.

You are entitled to your opinion and your vote, but you cannot force people to follow you.

assuming ron davies gets voted for in the a team, which by the way Landrew i think we should have done first, then i vote for keegan in this one.

Why would you assume that? Is it because you have been pressured into thinking that that's the way it should be?

Please can no-one else vote for Marian Pahars. He should be in the A team.

Is it my imagination or is Ron Davies written in italics in the poll? Is this why so many short memoried want Keegan in instead? Is this a deliberate strategy of St Landrew's to stop us voting for a true saints legend?

Come on everybody! Vote for Ron, he's had it tough enough without becoming saints forgotten man!

Just because someone has had a tough time of it is no reason to vote for them.

I'm not sure what's going on here. Is this a serious vote or not? People appear to be telling other people how to vote. This is the kind of thing that would happen in Zimbabwe. I will make my own mind up about who to vote for. My personal belief is that no one should vote for James Beattie because he should be in the first team. I would urge people to NOT vote for Beattie, but unlike others, I fully understand it is your individual decision and I will not try to bully people into doing something they don't want to.

Let me guess..? You voted for Ron Davies..? ;)

You see, I voted for Kevin Keegan, and only he's in italics when I look at the results so far. It's a thing the Poll does to remind you who you voted if you go back much later to review the results. :D

lol in the IT Industry we have had a long standing mantra called RTFM*.

Seems many on here don't do that and then go off on a rant about democracy.

I agree we SHOULD have had the A team vote first, but then any voter now on here should understand 1) Who THEY want for the Left sided striker in the A Team and 2) Vote tactically so that their chosen A Team player does NOT get in to the B Team...

So yeah - more complicated than it should have been but that's why everyone loves democracy!

*(Read the flippin manual for non-IT types)

lol in the IT Industry we have had a long standing mantra called RTFM*.

Seems many on here don't do that and then go off on a rant about democracy.

I agree we SHOULD have had the A team vote first, but then any voter now on here should understand 1) Who THEY want for the Left sided striker in the A Team and 2) Vote tactically so that their chosen A Team player does NOT get in to the B Team...

So yeah - more complicated than it should have been but that's why everyone loves democracy!

*(Read the flippin manual for non-IT types)

and what does RTFM stand for?

Got to be Ron Davies from that list.

Can I urge everyone else NOT to vote for PHIL BOYER. While I agree he is the best candidate on the list - a true servant of the club and a real legend in every sense of the word - he deserves to be in the A team, so Big Ron comes in second.

Got to be Ron Davies from that list.

Can I urge everyone else NOT to vote for PHIL BOYER. While I agree he is the best candidate on the list - a true servant of the club and a real legend in every sense of the word - he deserves to be in the A team, so Big Ron comes in second.

Now I am confused! Davies scored 97 goals and Boyer got 49 - why does PB deserve to be in the A team ands not RD?

Now I am confused! Davies scored 97 goals and Boyer got 49 - why does PB deserve to be in the A team ands not RD?

Erm, I think 49 goals in 138 apps speaks for itself. Add to that the fact he was the catalyst to our great 1977/8 season where he top scored with 17 goals (many of which made by his own endevours as I recall) which got us promoted to the top flight, not to mention kept us there, and you've really highlighted the reason we were where we were for so long in the 1980s and 1990s. No contest for me.

If Ron Davies ends up in the B team this poll is seriously flawed.

Cancel this vote now StLandrew.

And who the hell are you, sir, to have your opinion as the cut-and-dried final vote-caster in this poll?!?!

Erm, I think 49 goals in 138 apps speaks for itself. Add to that the fact he was the catalyst to our great 1977/8 season where he top scored with 17 goals (many of which made by his own endevours as I recall) which got us promoted to the top flight, not to mention kept us there, and you've really highlighted the reason we were where we were for so long in the 1980s and 1990s. No contest for me.

Phil Boyer was a fine player and, I agree, he did marvels for us - we played some of our best football ever when he was making runs up front.

However, Ron Davies was up there with the best centre forwards in the world.

Ta.

I agree a thankless task. Problem with it is that some people can't actually read and understand simple instructions.

I voted for Moran and will vote for Ron for first team later.

Not yet!

I don't want to appear rude or anything but you seem to be wanting to influence everyone on this thread. Surely the point of a poll is that people are allowed to express THEIR point of view....not the one that you approve of. Now you may want everyone to vote for Ron Davies, but some people may not want to. Why don't you just be happy if people vote for who they want, having given some thought to the candidates? If Ron happens to get the most votes in this poll then sobeit, but it should not be because you have taken it upon yourself to canvass for him.

Thanks.

Ta.

Seems a few have found this task too difficult :D Keep up the good work, I've enjoyed this topic right through although I have missed out on a couple of votes through no fault of yours. Keeping my Ron vote for the A-team.

I don't want to appear rude or anything but you seem to be wanting to influence everyone on this thread. Surely the point of a poll is that people are allowed to express THEIR point of view....not the one that you approve of. Now you may want everyone to vote for Ron Davies, but some people may not want to. Why don't you just be happy if people vote for who they want, having given some thought to the candidates? If Ron happens to get the most votes in this poll then sobeit, but it should not be because you have taken it upon yourself to canvass for him.

Thanks.

Yes, i do understand how a poll works - thanks for explaining it to me, though.

However, if you read the preceding replies - Norwaysaint is urging people to vote for Ron Davies to be in the B Team even though he thinks he is the best thing since Stanley Matthews. My 'not yet' was simple guidance to him.

Yes, i do understand how a poll works - thanks for explaining it to me, though.

However, if you read the preceding replies - Norwaysaint is urging people to vote for Ron Davies to be in the B Team even though he thinks he is the best thing since Stanley Matthews. My 'not yet' was simple guidance to him.

But Stanley Matthews needs to be in the A Team, therefore Ron Davies goes in the B Team...

Look, I cannot for the life of me understand the people on here - and there's a few of you - saying that Ron Davies shouldn't be in this poll.

Ron was immense for us during his time here, and deserves his place in the poll. If you cannot see/understand that (rpb!!!!!!!!!!) then how can you call youself a saints fan??

This place has gone loopy :rolleyes:

Look, I cannot for the life of me understand the people on here - and there's a few of you - saying that Ron Davies shouldn't be in this poll.

Ron was immense for us during his time here, and deserves his place in the poll. If you cannot see/understand that (rpb!!!!!!!!!!) then how can you call youself a saints fan??

Then a quick explanation for you, just in case you're not on your usual wind up. And for others who still might not get it.

We have 2 teams. The A-Team, and the B-Team. The A-Team players are the apex of Saints. They are the very best Saints players that people can remember. The B-Team [backup] is for those players who were a gnat's wotsit behind the very best, in terms of quality.

However, what this means is, that in many people's eyes, players like Ron Davies are considered so good that they shouldn't be in the B-Team, and so some posters are advising others not to vote for him this time. Therefore, I've no doubt, that if Kevin Keegan, or someone else wins this B-Team slot, Ron will run away with next week's A-Team's left side striker vote.

Now that couldn't be simpler.

Edited by St Landrew

If Ron is voted in here as the second best right sided striker, he won't be where he should be, as the best LSS in the A team he would be barred. Get it now?

I can guarantee he has enough support to be in that poll provided he doesn't win this one.

Keegan needs more votes to make this happen.

Agreed, come on everybody, vote for Ron!

Which will bar him from the poll to be the best left sided striker in the A team, which in my view he will walk.

All you will succeed in doing, is to make sure he doesn't get in the A team.

players like Ron Davies are considered so good that they should be in the B-Team,

Now that couldn't be simpler.

This is the point I'm trying to make, but too many are voting for Keegan (good, but not in the same class as Big Ron). Any more of this and Ron will be pushed out for a player who was only with us for a couple of seasons.

Get behind Ron, people! Vote now before it's too late.

This is the point I'm trying to make, but too many are voting for Keegan (good, but not in the same class as Big Ron). Any more of this and Ron will be pushed out for a player who was only with us for a couple of seasons.

Get behind Ron, people! Vote now before it's too late.

Sorry, my whole post was undermined by my writing should, instead of shouldn't. Please read it again.

I give up!

Then a quick explanation for you, just in case you're not on your usual wind up. And for others who still might not get it.

We have 2 teams. The A-Team, and the B-Team. The A-Team players are the apex of Saints. They are the very best Saints players that people can remember. The B-Team [backup] is for those players who were a gnat's wotsit behind the very best, in terms of quality.

However, what this means is, that in many people's eyes, players like Ron Davies are considered so good that they shouldn't be in the B-Team, and so some posters are advising others not to vote for him this time. Therefore, I've no doubt, that if Kevin Keegan, or someone else wins this B-Team slot, Ron will run away with next week's A-Team's left side striker vote.

TBH mate, I can't remember Ron Davies so he probably shouldn't make the A team or the B team as most people here are younger than me.