Football Manager 2009

Thedelldays

What are SI doing about trying to ensure the initial release is not riddled with bugs this year?

There has never been a game released in history that doesn't have bugs, FM08 was more than playable out of box. Many games don't provide the customer service SI do in terms of free data updates and patches. Be grateful ;)

Many games don't provide the customer service SI do in terms of free data updates and patches.

Many games don't have the level of support from its users pointing out problems at an early stage. SI would do well to remember that it shouldn't be down to its customers to report bugs - that's what testing is for. Products at release should be bug-free or as close as possible to bug-free. FM08 wasn't anywhere near it, and in all honesty it's been a gradual slope downwards in terms of the release quality in the last few years. Complacency of being the number one in its field setting in, perhaps?

Also, there are a hell of a lot of users who don't download the patches. Quite rightly, they expect the game to be working correctly at the point of purchase.

Many games don't have the level of support from its users pointing out problems at an early stage. SI would do well to remember that it shouldn't be down to its customers to report bugs - that's what testing is for. Products at release should be bug-free or as close as possible to bug-free. FM08 wasn't anywhere near it, and in all honesty it's been a gradual slope downwards in terms of the release quality in the last few years. Complacency of being the number one in its field setting in, perhaps?

Also, there are a hell of a lot of users who don't download the patches. Quite rightly, they expect the game to be working correctly at the point of purchase.

Not many game developers release a new game with new features(FM08 had over 100 features) EVERY 12 months.

Most games are 3/4 years in development and testing, FM games are not and are released to fit the fans need to have them for the football season. Compared to Championship Manager and FIFA manager the two main rivals FM has a far better testing history.

Not many game developers release a new game with new features(FM08 had over 100 features) EVERY 12 months.

Most games are 3/4 years in development and testing, FM games are not and are released to fit the fans need to have them for the football season. Compared to Championship Manager and FIFA manager the two main rivals FM has a far better testing history.

Nonetheless, there is nothing more annoying than playing through a bugged game, only to find that all your progress has to be lost if you want to apply the patch.

Until recently, console games never had patches, so were they better tested than PC games such as FM?

Nonetheless, there is nothing more annoying than playing through a bugged game, only to find that all your progress has to be lost if you want to apply the patch.

Until recently, console games never had patches, so were they better tested than PC games such as FM?

1) FM patches are save game compatible

2) Just because console games didn't have patches doesn't mean they didn't have bugs

1) FM patches are save game compatible

2) Just because console games didn't have patches doesn't mean they didn't have bugs

I've definitely had to forgo saved games on FM before after installing a patch, but I'm willing to accept I may have been in the minority in that regard.

I never said that console games didn't have bugs, I merely pointed out that they didn't (until this generation of consoles) have the luxury of installing patches. All games have bugs, that can't be helped. I just get annoyed that developers seem to have this attitude of fixing it later.

By now, SI should be able to turn around a release of FM without a patch being released with weeks (if not sooner) of the game hitting the shelves.

There has never been a game released in history that doesn't have bugs, FM08 was more than playable out of box. Many games don't provide the customer service SI do in terms of free data updates and patches. Be grateful ;)

Be grateful that I have payed for an unfinished product? I'm sorry MLG but FM2008 was very much less than playable out of the box.

Be grateful that I have payed for an unfinished product? I'm sorry MLG but FM2008 was very much less than playable out of the box.

I very rarely had problems with FM08 and I only downloaded the patch last week..the most bother it ever caused me was if a game had been lost, but this was mainly due to me shutting down my pc manually before the application had properly exited.

Get off your high horse! ;)

No details on FM09 will be released until next Wednesday. See my thread http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=993

However if you ask this question on the SI boards maybe someone in the development team will know. I would guess that if it didn't work for FM08 then it won't for FM09 but its worth asking :)

Fancy putting the question forward for me? Dont have a login over there and cant seem to make one, i wanna know if i can load FM09 onto a Virtual Hard-drive through Windows Virtual P.C and run it?

FM08 loaded but then had an error message when i loaded it up saying it wasnt supported in a Virtual Environment. :(

Its really so i can play it on a works laptop without work actually seeing it loaded, if you know what i mean!

Fancy putting the question forward for me? Dont have a login over there and cant seem to make one, i wanna know if i can load FM09 onto a Virtual Hard-drive through Windows Virtual P.C and run it?

FM08 loaded but then had an error message when i loaded it up saying it wasnt supported in a Virtual Environment. :(

Its really so i can play it on a works laptop without work actually seeing it loaded, if you know what i mean!

Tut Tut

try using this - http://juice.altiris.com/svs

You can install it in a virtual directory system. It only shows up if you open the SVS app and turn on the FM install.