shyte-phillips

Thedelldays

After a long time away, I've bothered to watch an England game. They've not changed. They still look like a collection of players rather than a team. Little movement, poor precision passing; it's the same as always. There have been plenty of occasions where a little run here or there would have created space, but I've not seen any. One could go through the team and find little to cheer, but the game was won and lost in midfield. David Beckham came on and produced the only bit of quality I saw. Lampard was non-existent, as was Gerrard. Barry worked hard, but was lumbering. These players could produce good displays if only they'ed support each other, but they don't. By contrast Spain were flicking the ball around with a plan. They looked as if they played together every week. They made those little runs that gained pockets of space elsewhere, and they didn't have to wait half-an-hour for another player to decide to become available. People might say it was men against boys, but it was more like brain against brawn.

I'll return to not watching again.

After a long time away, I've bothered to watch an England game. They've not changed. They still look like a collection of players rather than a team. Little movement, poor precision passing; it's the same as always. There have been plenty of occasions where a little run here or there would have created space, but I've not seen any. One could go through the team and find little to cheer, but the game was won and lost in midfield. David Beckham came on and produced the only bit of quality I saw. Lampard was non-existent, as was Gerrard . Barry worked hard, but was lumbering. These players could produce good displays if only they'ed support each other, but they don't. By contrast Spain were flicking the ball around with a plan. They looked as if they played together every week. They made those little runs that gained pockets of space elsewhere, and they didn't have to wait half-an-hour for another player to decide to become available. People might say it was men against boys, but it was more like brain against brawn.

I'll return to not watching again.

Are you being ironic?

Agree about Spain being good though. Please review spelling also.

Erm... Gerrard was injured and wasn't there.

Gerrard was the best player

Which explains why he was non-existent..! Now I see why I was asked if I was being ironic. I could have sworn Gerrard was in the line-up, although I didn't turn over to the match until 10 minutes in.

Hands up. Got this one wrong. I assume I was mistaking Gerrard for Phil Jagielka. No wonder he wasn't doing what Gerrard is normally good at. Don't know why the speeling wus criticisised though. Anyone can make the odd tipo**. :D

** Before you run to the keyboard, yes I know it's normally spelled/spelt typo.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Considering we put out a pretty sub-standard XI, I thought we held up ok, especially in the first 15 mins.

Not too sure about that, but we looked great in the period when we shook hands with the opposition.

Except for Wright-Phillips, who used his foot.

makes you laugh that some would have those two over beckham..

I doubt anyone would prefer SWP or Downing over Beckham. Again they where both terrible yesterday and Downing in particular is nearly always the scape goat for England.

We need to use two wingers from Walcott, Cole, Young and Beckham imo. Depends who else is in the team which two play I guess, for me with everyone fit i'd start with Cole on the left and Walcott on the right.

Considering we put out a pretty sub-standard XI, I thought we held up ok, especially in the first 15 mins.

I agree, we where not great but Spain played basically their best side apart from Puyol and Silva.

With Ferdinand, Rooney, Cole and Walcott involved and maybe Gerrard we would have given them a better game. I think Ferdinand and Rooney are probably our best two players we really miss them both.

We're never going to boss a game against Spain and have a load of possesion it's just a case of stopping them playing and getting ourselves a goal on the break. Just like we wouldn't be able to boss games against Brazil or Argentina, they are beatable but would require a fair bit of luck and good management.

Worst part about yesterday was how poor Carrick was, if he could re create his United form he would be one of our most important midfielders but he was just annonymous yesterday even worse than a Lampard/Gerrard England midfield performance.

I have become diencchanted with the national team for many years. To watch players who are earning £35pw upwards and cannot control the ball drives me mad.To see the Spaniards caress the football and play such beautiful football hurts when I look at our lot.i have criticised beckham in the past and find it galling he has got as many caps as a real great in Bobby Moore, but he did play with heart desire and with skill.

Upson as an international centre half just shows how little there is to pick from.

The PL was always going to be at the detriment of England and as we have the sides packed with foreign players the English coming through dont get a chance or enough experience.

crouch has lost his edge as well he tries to chest everything down and by the time it gets to the ground the defender nicks it away.

they were missing fabregas and pouyol...other wise it was the same team pretty much that won them the eruos and got them to top spot in the world...they seem pretty settled..

we had half a team missing...shame..not saying we would have won..but would love to see us against them with rooney, rio, theo, gerrard, j. cole, and maybe beckham and lamps starting...

I went last night and sat right in the first row and I can honestly say it was one of the worse displays of football from England that I have ever seen! We were outplayed for most of the first half and Spain looked like the could walk it round us!

When Capello brought on the more seasoned pros at half time we did look a bit more solid but we so missed, Rooney, Gerrard, Owen etc.

Lampard did do quite well though and thought he and Beckham played well for us second half. In the first half Heskey and agbonglhor (sp?) did well but were given absolutly sod all support and there was at least 20 yrds between our midfield and the strikers for the whole half.

Now dont get me started on Downing and Wright-Phillips, they were shocking!

As far as I know Ashley Young was there just didnt play, but I was with a Aston Villa fan and we were saying why doesnt he play Young second half?

I also went with two Spanish fans and they said that they thought Spain were quite ordinary last night but they didnt need to do anything special but if they had we would have lost by a lot more than we did.

Hey it was only a friendly and the atmosphere was electric! However it was possibly the quitest I have ever seen England fans!

just me or anybody think david villa's goal was a bit lucky? he seemed to barely have any control over the ball, kind of mr grimsdaled it in...but itv wanaked all over it...

maybe im getting old

Agreed.

He touched it twice - first it bounced off his shin, and the second was the finish.

If Jagielka hadn't flailed about like a fish out of water he probably wouldn't have scored.

I went last night and sat right in the first row and I can honestly say it was one of the worse displays of football from England that I have ever seen! We were outplayed for most of the first half and Spain looked like the could walk it round us!

When Capello brought on the more seasoned pros at half time we did look a bit more solid but we so missed, Rooney, Gerrard, Owen etc.

Lampard did do quite well though and thought he and Beckham played well for us second half. In the first half Heskey and agbonglhor (sp?) did well but were given absolutly sod all support and there was at least 20 yrds between our midfield and the strikers for the whole half.

Now dont get me started on Downing and Wright-Phillips, they were shocking!

As far as I know Ashley Young was there just didnt play, but I was with a Aston Villa fan and we were saying why doesnt he play Young second half?

Hey it was only a friendly and the atmosphere was electric! However it was possibly the quitest I have ever seen England fans!

From this report I think it's entirely possible you were watching a completely different game. One of the worst displays from England you've ever seen? We were playing the European Champions (a near full strength team at that) - and we had probably our three best players missing. And Lampard played. He was ****ing shocking - he misplaced at least the first three balls that came his way. The reason the forwards had no support was because everyone else was tied up up trying to stop the Spanish midfield running riot. They have a quality midfield and there aren't many teams that could live with it. Especially not England with their lack of movement and need for two touches. Personally I didn't think SWP was that bad. Spent most of his time tracking back which he had to do and did pretty well. It was inevitable we were going to get beat last night.

With a full strength team and Capello we should be expecting the semis of any major tournament and then a loss to someone like Spain, probably. No shame in that. People need to be realistic.

maybe just shows how differently we see things when you are there and when you watch the overall picture on tv!

Wright-Phillips had one mazy run and tracked back afew times to cover the defence, apart from that he spent most of his time standing on the wing waiting for the ball that never came!

Lampard made alot of good tackles and yes he did misplace some passes, but so did everyone of our players. I still think it was one of Englands worst performances because we didnt show any kind of passion or effort. A team like Spain like time on the ball to stroke it around which is exactly what we gave them! We needed to get in there faces and make them make mistakes which none of our players in the first half did.

You could see how little Wright-Phillips did by watching how much better we were on the right when Beckham came on. They walked past us down thier left in the first half. Anyway this is all my opinion so make of it what you will! Be interesting to see others views who went! Speaking to other fans after the match, they seem to say pretty much the same.

For the first 20 minutes we DID get in their faces, but they still managed to pass it round us. We then tried something different and they STILL tore us apart.

There is no denying that Spain are just a fantastic team.

You are right they are a fantastic team, but they didn't even have to try last night! We did do that at the start and to some extent it worked, however there is no getting past we had our second team out and the fact that those players were supposed to show our manager that they are good enough for the first team and didn't show any passion or fight was the most disappointing thing for me! I went knowing that we would probably lose as we had so many of our best players out, it was just the way we capitulated, that was hard to watch!!

Not giving Young a chance is just crazy, he's soo much better than SWP and Downing. Can put in a decent free kick and corner as well.

I think he must be ****ging Capello's missus.

Young was INJURED.

As for SWP, he played well over here against Belarus in October. In fact, much better than Theo whom he replaced when coming off the bench.

(Theo had a shocking match that day, but I'm still pleased he played.)

Young was INJURED.

As for SWP, he played well over here against Belarus in October. In fact, much better than Theo whom he replaced when coming off the bench.

(Theo had a shocking match that day, but I'm still pleased he played.)

Ashley Young was on the bench, wouldn't be on there for a pointless friendly if he was injured.

It's Luke Young who's injured.