How would you feel if no one left but we didn't sign anyone else?

Bad Wolf

Personally, I wouldn't be THAT bothered. I like our squad as it is, we have the advantage a lot of teams don't of having a very good academy. We have signed a decent (never seen him play, going by reports and FM) young CB.

I would like a ball playing midfielder who could make runs off the ball through the middle but perhaps Pellegrino can get that sort of play out of Boufal. Other than that I don't think, assuming no one leaves, of a position that we desperately need anyone in.

Personally, I wouldn't be THAT bothered. I like our squad as it is, we have the advantage a lot of teams don't of having a very good academy. We have signed a decent (never seen him play, going by reports and FM) young CB.

I would like a ball playing midfielder who could make runs off the ball through the middle but perhaps Pellegrino can get that sort of play out of Boufal. Other than that I don't think, assuming no one leaves, of a position that we desperately need anyone in.

Can I ask about what mindset VvD would be in in this scenario?

If he goes "full Berahino", I'd rather sell.

Disappointed, a little concerned/anxious, but not throwing toys out the pram. I want us to be better than last season, and while I am hopeful that a change of manager can bring that, I would also like to see a better squad. If we lose good players, I would hope the transfer fees would be spent well so that they are replaced and other areas of the team are strengthened.

Having said that, I don't want or expect us to sign LOTS of players. In fact, ONE player would suffice in my book. A DM/CM whose style compliments Romeu (i.e. quick across the ground, more of an industrious, box-to-box type) or an attacking midfielder who will link and join the attack and find the net fairly often (yes, I know they are hard to find). I wouldn't mind a new GK but can't see it happening.

it would appear likely that the manager will play with 2 dm/holding midfielders so unless Clasie or Hoijberg improve significantly I think this area is the glaring gap to be filled, especially if Romeu gets injured we will look light there. The fact they were happy to let Reed go does perhaps suggest they are after someone. Other than that, if no one else goes and no one else comes in, it would be ok but not great. We would be relying upon 4-5 players stepping up from their performances last season which is possible - Stephens, JWP, Redmond, and Boufal. If Gabbi and Austin play to their potential then we should be in for a decent season. I'd still prefer a CB who is going to come straight in alongside VVD (I've thought he would stay this season for months) but we will see.

I'd be somewhat concerned that "ambitious" Saints believe changing nothing would be progress.

Keeping our best players of course would be excellent, hence the long contracts. Selling jrod was sensible, fonte brought in 8 million too, plus tv money etc we should have enough to sign two very decent first team ready players.

If we sold two of Clasie/jwp/Hoj and replaced with bigger, quicker, more dynamic DM and AM I'd be happy.

Only concern would be an injury to vvd would leave us with a weaker than average cb pairing again.

Our team lacks height and pace, two attributes that I believe are crucial in the pace/power hungry premier league...

I'd be somewhat concerned that "ambitious" Saints believe changing nothing would be progress.

Keeping our best players of course would be excellent, hence the long contracts. Selling jrod was sensible, fonte brought in 8 million too, plus tv money etc we should have enough to sign two very decent first team ready players.

If we sold two of Clasie/jwp/Hoj and replaced with bigger, quicker, more dynamic DM and AM I'd be happy.

Only concern would be an injury to vvd would leave us with a weaker than average cb pairing again.

Our team lacks height and pace, two attributes that I believe are crucial in the pace/power hungry premier league...

Agree with most of this - think its too early to ship out Hoj (though if a team came in with a crazy bid for JWP, I wouldn't dismiss it). But I agree with the intent: we need a bigger, quicker, more dynamic DM and AM.

Edited by shurlock

I keep seeing this all the time, since when does height=strength? And anyway, why is height important other than at CB and GK? Our midfield could use a Kanté like player more than anything and the guy is tiny. More than pace & power (could that be any more stereotypically english?), we need stamina and agility (besides the obvious technical aspects required of a midfielder).

Agree with most of this - think its too early to ship out Hoj (though if a team came in with a crazy bid for JWP, I wouldn't dismiss it). But I agree with the intent: we need a bigger, quicker, more dynamic DM and AM.

I understand what you're saying regarding Hoj, when he first appeared for us last season, I admit he looked like he had quality about him.

As the season progressed, whether through lack of regular game time, trying too hard or whatever, he just seemed off the pace. He also didn't look amazingly fit and seemed to be 'carrying a bit extra'.

If the new boss can get him leaner and keener again, I would certainly like to see him flourish. It's just a big if.. fingers crossed for him though.

This all depends if Austin can stay fit and find some form, if we can create chances for Gabbi, if Tadic can be more consistent, if Redmond can convert more chances, if Forster can play like he did when he first joined us, and for me the most important part, whether our midfield can produce more attacking play rather than constant back passes and square passing.

If the manager has the belief that this can happen with our present squad then we have no need for new players but I have serious doubts.

I'd be fine with it tbh. We've got a stronger squad than the most of last season just from having everyone fit, and we should do better just from having fewer matches.

However, given the need for parts of the fanbase to see the club doing what they want, maybe it isn't the right sign to be sending out... :rolleyes:

Surprised at people still having the expectation that we should replace our GK or upgrade on him, that won't happen. It would have never been on the clubs radar.

I personally haven't given up on Fraser as some have seemingly done. Glad to see the club haven't either.

Surprised at people still having the expectation that we should replace our GK or upgrade on him, that won't happen. It would have never been on the clubs radar.

I personally haven't given up on Fraser as some have seemingly done. Glad to see the club haven't either.

We've already got McCarthy, who has some of the best stats over the past few years and was injured most of last season. Short of signing Hart, which I'm not sure is in line with our usual policies, I'm not sure how we can do much better there. The two we have also count as homegrown.

I'd be fine with it tbh. We've got a stronger squad than the most of last season just from having everyone fit, and we should do better just from having fewer matches.

However, given the need for parts of the fanbase to see the club doing what they want, maybe it isn't the right sign to be sending out... :rolleyes:

Only fine? you think we'll be challenging for the top 4 if we don't lose anyone.

We've already got McCarthy, who has some of the best stats over the past few years and was injured most of last season. Short of signing Hart, which I'm not sure is in line with our usual policies, I'm not sure how we can do much better there. The two we have also count as homegrown.

You know our goalkeepers don't have to be english or signed from english clubs right? And so what if Forster is homegrown, we have more than enough. He's crap and we need better.

You know our goalkeepers don't have to be english or signed from english clubs right? And so what if Forster is homegrown, we have more than enough. He's crap and we need better.

He's not crap, and we're not going to get better. As i said, it won't even be on the clubs radar - so don't expect it.

He's not crap, and we're not going to get better. As i said, it won't even be on the clubs radar - so don't expect it.

He was a liability last season. If that wasn't on Reed's radar then you have to wonder how he can bury his head in the sand.

He was a liability last season. If that wasn't on Reed's radar then you have to wonder how he can bury his head in the sand.

See how he bounces back this season - if he continues as he did last season, then I agree it could become a problem. For now, don't think its a priority. A DM, CB, AM are my priority areas in that order.

Think it depends on the manager really and if he can get our more average players playing better. We need a couple of attacking players imo. We struggled for goals and I don't see that changing next season with the same squad.

I would be disappointed if we don't do anything to improve our quality in midfield options, which I think was shown to be our biggest weakness last season. It's not a question of numbers but of quality, and also not enough backup for Romeu, who if he were to get injured would be a major worry based on lack of suitable alternatives in the squad.

I'd rather keep VVD & Bertrand than sign anyone else.

Our back 5 is up there with the best in the league and it's just a case of getting the attack to click. I would like a DM to come in, mostly just to cover Romeu - if he gets injured I could see us struggling without someone of the mould.

Underwhelmed. We have an obvious lack of mobility, physicality and creativity in the midfield, and it's hard to imagine the quality of football is likely to be any more dynamic than under Puel unless that is addressed.

A new keeper and some real pace out wide wouldn't hurt either.

I'd rather keep VVD & Bertrand than sign anyone else.

Our back 5 is up there with the best in the league and it's just a case of getting the attack to click. I would like a DM to come in, mostly just to cover Romeu - if he gets injured I could see us struggling without someone of the mould.

Bringing new players in surely shouldn't be dependent purely on selling Van Dijk or Bertrand though? I can't believe we have literally no money available given the huge rise in TV income, and we also have the option of moving on players that would fall down the pecking order if we can bring in better quality to replace them, eg Clasie. Feels like we are being somewhat complacent in just settling for what we've got rather than pushing for improvement.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Is it confirmed that we are not making and player purchases?

No, of course not. But it just follows the usual line of thinking up a worst case scenario and flogging it to death. Still, on the plus side, we have signed one senior player so at least we know we will not go through this window without signing anyone.

No, of course not. But it just follows the usual line of thinking up a worst case scenario and flogging it to death. Still, on the plus side, we have signed one senior player so at least we know we will not go through this window without signing anyone.

Ah! yes i had forgotten him.

We've all got so used to comings and going that this close season so far seems a bit boring, but for saints to keep all our good players for once would be an upgrade in effect. We have a good squad , that for once won't have to get to know lots of new players, and won't have several players learning how to play on the PL for the first time.

Everything will depend on the new manager and his coaches .