Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

If he stays fit for most of the season he'll be a great asset. Look forward to seeing him against his old club on Sunday.

Imagine the 20m is the maximum fee payable which would hopefully include a large element based on appearances, and the final transfer itself may even be subject to his fitness over this coming season.

If he's crocked within a fortnight we can all come back on here and moan. In the meantime, let's try and be a bit upbeat....if there's any part of the year we should all be up for it's this one. New season, some new faces...let's allow ourselves a couple of weeks of optimism with our team. Plus, it's Friday and not 30 degrees for once!

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember seeing him play for Burnley at SMS and he was sharp with great movement. Everyone is saying he's fit, and on that basis I welcome him, and back him to get 10-12 goals.

We will finish 12th

Being fit and being as sharp/quick as you were before 2 major knee injuries are two different things. I hope he is back to the player he was - we have him now so the only thing we can do is support him and keep our fingers crossed - but it's a bit of a gamble.

More priase from Klopp in his pre-match press conference this morning (FWIW)....

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1YqKDQXamMAGV

"What a fantastic person. We miss him already. It's not as if there was anybody in the building opening the door for him, it was the other way around. We were still hoping to avoid the transfer. He's fully fit and in a good shape, so that's nice for him and Southampton"

Edited by trousers

you would be, but not more measured and reasonable fans. I recall your posts for the last few days mentioning how we weren't spending da da da.

We all have players we personally rate etc and the club rarely chooses players I would want, but Ings is a player that a club of our standing is in for. I prefer to buy English players rather than risking players from Monaco and all the other exotic places in the world.

20m is nothing into todays market and we have to have faith that the medical team have checked him thoroughly. He is a bargain if he stays fit.

As for other fans mocking us, I noticed on Twitter that the Liverpool fans were very respectful toward him and sang his praise. There againI don't visit other clubs sites looking to cause arguments

I have been keen for the club to spend money as the squad lacks quality and had glaring gaps which for me included a Pelle/Lambert style forward. Ings is not this type of player and combined with his injury record is too big a gamble at the reported £20-22m

The past 3 premier league seasons Ings has played the full 90 minutes ONCE

He's had cruciate ligament injuries, Knee ops, ankle ligament and hamstring injuries, and reports about him being fit for a long time dont reconcile as he spent most of last season playing for the Liverpool u23 side where he scored just once in a dozen or so games. If hes been fit whats he been doing? Klopp has been praising him, but not playing him.

Liverpool fans (& Klopp) may well wish him well, but at £20-22m (& £3.5m a year wages) i'm sure they are also absolutely shocked that any club has taken the gamble on him.

I wish him well I do, but every post blindly backing the signing (as he was decent back in 2013/14) is followed by "If" and "hope" and i'm personally no sure why a guy that has managed one full game of 90 minutes in 3 seasons is suddenly going to see out 30-35 games for us?

Are we genuinely saying at £20-22m + £14m in wages Ings was the very best we could have found???

Edited by Heisenberg

I have been keen for the club to spend money as the squad lacks quality and had glaring gaps which for me included a Pelle/Lambert style forward. Ings is not this type of player and combined with his injury record is too big a gamble at the reported £20-22m

He's had cruciate ligament injuries, Knee ops, ankle ligament and hamstring injuries, and reports about him being fit for a long time dont reconcile as he spent most of last season playing for the Liverpool u23 side where he scored just once in a dozen or so games. If hes been fit whats he been doing? Klopp has been praising him, but not playing him.

Liverpool fans (& Klopp) may well wish him well, but at £20-22m (& £3.5m a year wages) i'm sure they are also absolutely shocked that any club has taken the gamble on him.

I wish him well I do, but every post blindly backing the signing (as he was decent back in 2013/14) is followed by "If" and "hope" and i'm personally no sure why a guy that has managed one full game of 90 minutes in 3 seasons is suddenly going to see out 30-35 games for us?

Are we genuinely saying at £20-22m + £14m in wages Ings was the very best we could have found???

I suppose you would have preferred Sam Vokes. Personally I'm very happy with Ings and it is a long time since I lauded a signing.

He has lifted my spirits about Saints.

I will say here and now that he will be a massive success and sell lots of shirts with his name on the back in the next 3 years

Lallana also gushing over him -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2725[/ATTACH]

Seems like he's a good influence on the dressing room at least

If Ings wants to get in with the saints fans he should probably post the same picture with the catch line "Won't miss this c u n t" instant love from the Northam...

If Ings wants to get in with the saints fans he should probably post the same picture with the catch line "Won't miss this c u n t" instant love from the Northam...

Footballer’s don’t give a sh 1t. Quite embarrassing how so many saints fans hang on to the anger and hate towards Lallana.

I suppose you would have preferred Sam Vokes. Personally I'm very happy with Ings and it is a long time since I lauded a signing.

I will say here and now that he will be a massive success and sell lots of shirts with his name on the back in the next 3 years

To be fair to Glasgow, he didn’t like Ings when it was idle paper speculation. Why should he change his opinion now? Nowt to do with knocking the club for the sake of knocking the club. This time, at least.

I’d rather Sam Vokes. He’d offer something we don’t have, knees aren’t shot to bits and would have been a good replacement for Carrillo.

If Ings gets over 5 goals this season I’ll be very surprised. If he’s still fit playing in 3/4 years I’ll be even more surprised.

He came back at the end of the season. So I assume he is back to fitness. If he has passed his medical, which in theory should be pretty tough considering the insurance company would need that, I can only assume he is fine. There will be safeguards for Saints in the deal, that is perhaps why it is initially a loan

"Till 2022. Jeremy Wilson’s write up is clearest:

Danny Ings has completed a £20 million move to Southampton, initially on a season-long loan but with a commitment for an additional three years.

Ings completed a complicated switch to St Mary’s after the club’s agreed the structure of payments ahead of the close of business.

Although his first year will be on loan, Southampton have committed to buy the striker on July 1, 2019. Liverpool are guaranteed £18 million, with a further £2 million based on appearances.

Despite both clubs insisting his next 12 months is part of a loan deal, the 26-year-old has signed a four-year contract until 2022. Liverpool will also receive 20 per cent of any future sale of Ings."

I thought that the fact it was an intial loan deal meant we had no commitment to buy the player at the end of the first year if he proved unfit to play, but the way the terms have been described it appears we do. So, it's a bit of a mystery unless it officially being called a loan deal, when it really isn't, is a way of circumventing the medical so that Liverpool's medical insurance policy still applies for the first year here. The only other obvious explanation would be that we can't afford to pay the first installment of the transfer fee yet.

Any other explanations out there?

I’d rather Sam Vokes. He’d offer something we don’t have, knees aren’t shot to bits and would have been a good replacement for Carrillo.

If Ings gets over 5 goals this season I’ll be very surprised. If he’s still fit playing in 3/4 years I’ll be even more surprised.

Well if you think Vokes is a decent PL player then I don't personally rate your judgement. He is a lump I grant you but IMHO offers little else. That's football we all have different opinions, yours is wrong of course lol

Danny Ings has completed a £20 million move to Southampton, initially on a season-long loan but with a commitment for an additional three years.

Ings completed a complicated switch to St Mary’s after the club’s agreed the structure of payments ahead of the close of business.

Although his first year will be on loan, Southampton have committed to buy the striker on July 1, 2019. Liverpool are guaranteed £18 million, with a further £2 million based on appearances.

Despite both clubs insisting his next 12 months is part of a loan deal, the 26-year-old has signed a four-year contract until 2022. Liverpool will also receive 20 per cent of any future sale of Ings."

I thought that the fact it was an intial loan deal meant we had no commitment to buy the player at the end of the first year if he proved unfit to play, but the way the terms have been described it appears we do. So, it's a bit of a mystery unless it officially being called a loan deal, when it really isn't, is a way of circumventing the medical so that Liverpool's medical insurance policy still applies for the first year here. The only other obvious explanation would be that we can't afford to pay the first installment of the transfer fee yet.

Very strange. What would happen if he were to break down totally during the season and had to retire? Would we still have to buy him then?

You may well be right about insurance, but not being able to afford him until we offload a few is also likely.

A loan to prove fitness would gave been sensible, but I assume Liverpool baulked at that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We've had our pants pulled down on this.

It COULD work out.....if he stays fit and scores for fun this season then it makes sense.

But his injury record suggests he won't.

If Danny Ings deal is a 'Loan' does this mean he won't be eligible to play against Mr Klippy Klopp and Ko?

The reason for the loan is that it is apparently easier/quicker to get a loan registered in short time (at the last minute) than a standard purchase. Its just a way of getting the deal done without all of the financial hoops having to be jumped through. Don't believe for one minute that there is any other reason.

Liverpool demand £20m for Danny Ings. Everyone laughs at them. Then Southampton pay £20m.

(I'm not particularly anti this signing btw, just can't believe Liverpool wouldn't have accepted a slightly lower, or differently structured deal. And if not, then it is still a huge amount to risk on someone with his recent injuries).

Were you at his medical yesterday? Have you seen the report for the player insurance? He passed a medical and is fit. Give him a chance. We will be insured anyway.

Were you at his medical yesterday? Have you seen the report for the player insurance? He passed a medical and is fit. Give him a chance. We will be insured anyway.

Its not about giving him a chance or not rating him - its the unnecessary massive gamble with the large cost that annoys me.

It was a last minute panic buy and we had our pants fully pulled down by Liverpool again.

His or our insurance is irrelevant to our football success - it wont get us points or score us goals. its just a payout once Ings and Austin have another almost inevitable layoff.

Liverpool fans can wax lyrical about him too buts its difficult to see how the Liverpool fans can truly and fairly judge a player with just 435 minutes of premier league football in 3 seasons. That's less than 5 games in 3 seasons and somehow Liverpool have managed to triple the transfer fee they paid for him!!

Even Carrillo managed more premier league minutes with us (450) during his short (unsuccessful) stint.

I cant think of any player (ever) that has played the equivalent of 5 league games in 3 years and been sold/bought for £20+ million??

Decent signing for me I assume if he is crocked all season and doesn't play then we won't be signing him permanently despite the odd wording in the press and I very much doubt we will be paying 20m in one lump some for him. Before his injuries he looked quality and he has been fit to play for sometime now which bodes well.

Thee a a few if's and but's as always but it looks to be a pretty decent window for us only one significant player out and a few good additions, I'm still hopeful Forster will go out on loan before the rest of Europe closes the window it seems madness for us to be paying all his wages even a loan to a championship club with us picking up 80% would make sense to me!

reading the comments, I do wonder if fans want him to prove their point and he does get injured. I despair at the morons in our society.

A few on here are waiting with baited breath for his first mistake, ready to crow. Remember Wanyama getting castigated on here by the usual suspects for misplacing his first pass.

reading the comments, I do wonder if fans want him to prove their point and he does get injured. I despair at the morons in our society.

A few on here are waiting with baited breath for his first mistake, ready to crow. Remember Wanyama getting castigated on here by the usual suspects for misplacing his first pass.

We do indeed have some special "fans" on here...

A positive is it's a player who has played in the league and knows the league. However the lack of games in recent seasons, the amount spent on him and his likely wages makes me wonder whether this will just be another millstone around he neck of a club who can't get rid of a number of costly, highly paid players who can't make the first team?

It's a very big gamble..and people said Cortese gambled with the future of the club!

Its not about giving him a chance or not rating him - its the unnecessary massive gamble with the large cost that annoys me.

It was a last minute panic buy and we had our pants fully pulled down by Liverpool again.

His or our insurance is irrelevant to our football success - it wont get us points or score us goals. its just a payout once Ings and Austin have another almost inevitable layoff.

Liverpool fans can wax lyrical about him too buts its difficult to see how the Liverpool fans can truly and fairly judge a player with just 435 minutes of premier league football in 3 seasons. That's less than 5 games in 3 seasons and somehow Liverpool have managed to triple the transfer fee they paid for him!!

Even Carrillo managed more premier league minutes with us (450) during his short (unsuccessful) stint.

I cant think of any player (ever) that has played the equivalent of 5 league games in 3 years and been sold/bought for £20+ million??

Does it matter is he was 2m or 20m 200m ? Its not our money, I get not payout. What it has done for me is that it has added a bit more optimism and excitement for the new season. I find it laughable that fans think Gallagher would be more likely to score the goals in the PL when patently he didn't score that many in the Championship. I truly hope Gallagher is a success in his career, but to gamble on him above a proven PL player is mad. Hopefully he will play a few games this season and gain experience and we will perhaps see him blossom.

I don’t follow.

My point is that the ‘I told you so’s’ won’t come after he makes a mistake or even a poor game, they will come after he has another serious injury to one of his glass knees.

Ok, I read it as that you expected a 9month injury, sorry

Are mods god's then and cant be pulled up?? I took the wording in a different way than it was meant, and now Lighthouse has qualified his post. No problem in my mind

Very sensible Nick and always good to debate with you on this forum. A poster that doesn't resort to name calling and respects others opinions is a rare breed.

OldNick for Mod!! :toppa:

Ings looked really keen when he came back from injury I hope he does well here . To the above , Mane couldn't hit a barn door when he started here and Wanyama couldn't pass to save his life , a through ball from his own half went out for a goal kick despite the forward running at 90 mph !!!! so fingers crossed.