• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

How could trump possibly remain president in the face of the global earthquake caused by brexit? It's inconceivable.

There will be no survivors.

Brexit won't cause a global earthquake. The rest of the world will do just fine.

So they’re complaining about the price going up “over the last few years”. Few is clearly more than 2, otherwise you’d have said “last couple of years”. So how on Earth is Brexit to blame for the “last few years”.I go away 4 times a year, and have done so for the past 6 or 7 years and have noticed no particular increase other than inflation. Some places are more expensive because of certain factors but others, Greece in particular, are cheaper in relative terms than they were. Have these people heard of the internet and shopping around.

My moneys still on #didnthappen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not only that, they were also talking about holidays in Krakow. Poland of course has it's own currency, not the Euro, which is currently at the same exchange rate as it was in 2008!

#didnthappen indeed!

Will you tell us the answer to a question I've asked that you've ignored. How many jobs lost would make you change your mind about Brexit? 10,000...100,000...1,000,000? More?

A true Jihadist can't respond, or put a number on it, because their deontological fundamentalism leads them to think that any number of people's livelihoods can be sacrificed for the goal.

I ignored it because it wasn't worth answering something so hypothetical.

2019 Political odds(Ladbrokes):

1/2 Theresa May replaced as PM

5/4 New EU Referendum

6/4 General Election

2/1 Corbyn replaced as Labour leader

3/1 UK leaves EU with NO DEAL before 1st April

3/1 Trump replaced as POTUS

4/1 Corbyn becomes PM

33/1 Two or more general elections

5/4 on a second Refurendum might be worth a go.

Can’t see the deal going through and we appear woefully underprepared for a hard Brexit in March and if we want to defer the leaving date the EU will insist on it. Didn’t Ireland twice get made to re-vote? It makes a bit of a mockery of democracy but the EU does have form in that regard.

Shurlock declines to answer the invitation to express his opinion on what the Brexit outcome will be. It is far easier to just post Jesus wept when somebody else does, isn't it?

Come on, give us your pearls of wisdom answers to the questions I asked.

Once you’ve responded to my earlier questions. Re. the alleged consumer benefits from eliminating tariffs and the brexitcentral article you were all too happy to post but then disappeared when I pointed out holes in its claims.

That seems fair enough, right pal?

Once you’ve responded to my earlier questions. Re. the alleged consumer benefits from eliminating tariffs and the brexitcentral article you were all too happy to post but then disappeared when I pointed out holes in its claims.

That seems fair enough, right pal?

OK, fair enough, I'll conclude that you're happy to dismiss others' opinions on what might happen in the next few weeks, but afraid to stick your own neck out. Jesus wept, eh?

OK, fair enough, I'll conclude that you're happy to dismiss others' opinions on what might happen in the next few weeks, but afraid to stick your own neck out. Jesus wept, eh?

No, it’s called basic reciprocity. You can’t turn around and stomp your feet when you refuse to answer or respond to others questions and posts.

As things stand, Ive spent significantly more time challenging people on facts and the data than their efforts to crystal ball gaze politics. Indeed, in this case, I’ve been more amused by your understanding of max facs -and what it does and doesn’t do -and hence it’s viability as a solution to the Irish border. As for my Jesus wept comment, it was in response to your interpretation of past events and why May finds herself in the position she does - more classic jihadist denial.

I’m more than happy to stick my neck out, though your guess is as good as mine (probably not actually but you get my drift pal).

Edited by shurlock

Not only that, they were also talking about holidays in Krakow. Poland of course has it's own currency, not the Euro, which is currently at the same exchange rate as it was in 2008!

#didnthappen indeed!

How has the zloty fared against the pound since Brexit pal? Clue: the answer just makes you look stupid.

For a Brexit themed conversation (and thread), it’s remarkable the number of oddballs who think that 2008 is anyway relevant. Then again I wasn’t at Jeff’s dinner table and they all presumably were :lol:

I ignored it because it wasn't worth answering something so hypothetical.

A classic Jihadist's response. You're simply unprepared to countenance the damage your pet idea might cause. Which means for you the goal trumps all else.

So it's not just **** business. It's **** everyone.

KABOOM!

Brendan O’Neill spot on again.

“When politicians say Britain would fall apart after a No Deal Brexit, what they’re really saying is that they are incompetent. That they cannot run the country. That the UK is a small, useless nation that won’t cope outside of the EU. It’s so insulting”.

Brendan O’Neill spot on again.

“When politicians say Britain would fall apart after a No Deal Brexit, what they’re really saying is that they are incompetent. That they cannot run the country. That the UK is a small, useless nation that won’t cope outside of the EU. It’s so insulting”.

Absolute pony.

Read Ivan Rogers Liverpool speech if you want a dose of reality from someone who’s been in the trenches rather than the dimwitted chest-thumping of a rent-a-gob hack.

How has the zloty fared against the pound since Brexit pal? Clue: the answer just makes you look stupid.

Not entirely sure what Brexit has got to do with the strength of the [independent] Zloty against the pound, especially as 'Brexit' hasn't actually happened yet, but feel free to have a look for yourself [pal] : https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-PLN-2007

Jan 2005 5.8Zl / £

Jan 2008 4.8Zl / £

Jan 2009 4.3Zl / £

Jan 2011 4.6Zl / £ (4 years before a vote on Brexit was even mentioned!)

Jan 2013 4.9Zl / £

Jan 2016 5.9Zl / £ (1 year after the vote on Brexit with the pound getting stronger against the Zloty!)

Jan 2018 4.7Zl / £ (back to roughly 2008 levels!)

I'm sure there's something in there that will make me look stupid though!

You still haven't answered my question from a couple of days ago relating to an 'orderly' Brexit and how (in your humble opinion) this is possible....

A classic Jihadist's response. You're simply unprepared to countenance the damage your pet idea might cause. Which means for you the goal trumps all else.

So it's not just **** business. It's **** everyone.

KABOOM!

Furthermore, I refuse to respond to some idiot who uses inappropriate and insulting labels to those who disagree with him. We're leaving. Suck it up.

Not entirely sure what Brexit has got to do with the strength of the [independent] Zloty against the pound, especially as 'Brexit' hasn't actually happened yet, but feel free to have a look for yourself [pal] : https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-PLN-2007

Jan 2005 5.8Zl / £

Jan 2008 4.8Zl / £

Jan 2009 4.3Zl / £

Jan 2011 4.6Zl / £ (4 years before a vote on Brexit was even mentioned!)

Jan 2013 4.9Zl / £

Jan 2016 5.9Zl / £ (1 year after the vote on Brexit with the pound getting stronger against the Zloty!)

Jan 2018 4.7Zl / £ (back to roughly 2008 levels!)

I'm sure there's something in there that will make me look stupid though!

You still haven't answered my question from a couple of days ago relating to an 'orderly' Brexit and how (in your humble opinion) this is possible....

So right the pound has weakened since the referendum. Good lad.

So right the pound has weakened since the referendum. Good lad.

No, Pal, it got stronger in 2016 - the year after the referendum.

It has since fallen but as the historical data shows it has fallen in line pretty much with the 10 year average.

Fortunately, some of us recognise that there is history pre-referendum and don't attribute everything that happens in the world to what is likely to be an insignificant vote for many countries!

3 and out for me - I guess we'll have to wait another day for you to enlighten us with this fabled 'orderly' Brexit scenario???

It has since fallen but as the historical data shows it has fallen in line pretty much with the 10 year average.

Fortunately, some of us recognise that there is history pre-referendum and don't attribute everything that happens in the world to what is likely to be an insignificant vote for many countries!

3 and out for me - I guess we'll have to wait another day for you to enlighten us with this fabled 'orderly' Brexit scenario???

No not 2016. Post referendum 23 June 2016. Has the pound weakened or strengthened against the zloty since the referendum? A simple question which even you should be able to answer.

Sorry . I think you have got this wrong.

The referendum was in June 2016. From your figures above the pound weakened considerably between Jan 2016 and 2018.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Hopefully politicians are reading this forum and hire Shurlock, he seems able to predict the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Coleslaw politicians don’t hire me for my predictions; but they have hired me for my Brexit analysis. A nice little earner too.

HTH :smug:

None of that will happen

I think you are wrong. I cannot see May lasting long after29 March if we do leave then.Clearly the bookies think the same.

If we don't leave on 29 March it will be due to a referendum being called.

Either way the status quo will be upset.

I think you are wrong. I cannot see May lasting long after29 March if we do leave then.Clearly the bookies think the same.

If we don't leave on 29 March it will be due to a referendum being called.

Either way the status quo will be upset.

almost every prediction on brexit, the fallout from voting to leave has not happened

lost count how many time May was on the way out.......corbyn a PM in waiting and all that....

that is not taking into account the 'experts' who have been almost entirely wrong with their claims of doom for a leave vote

as for Trump, the Bookies have been completely wrong regarding him on many/every level

Edited by Batman

Furthermore, I refuse to respond to some idiot who uses inappropriate and insulting labels to those who disagree with him. We're leaving. Suck it up.

Don't take it personally, Al. The actual jihadists I met in South Asia last year were just as insulted as you when I called them 'Wes Tenders'.

Don't take it personally, Al. The actual jihadists I met in South Asia last year were just as insulted as you when I called them 'Wes Tenders'.

So no New Year's resolution from you that with the passing of another year that you would make an effort to grow up. How sad. Maybe next year then.

So no New Year's resolution from you that with the passing of another year that you would make an effort to grow up. How sad. Maybe next year then.

What happened to this New Year pledge ?

Exactly the point. What you idiots don't seem to acknowledge is the difference between articles written by journalists as opinion pieces in independent newspapers and news items in a supposedly politically neutral national media organ. But if you lot are not bright enough to recognise that difference, then more fool you. Anyway, as I already pointed out, when I heard the news later in the day, they had dropped the "crashing out" bias, probably because many others had picked it up and complained, as I did.

Thanks for telling me what my point is. But you have missed it spectacularly.

I agree that the BBC is beholden to different standards than privately owned media outlets. Probably a good idea for you to brush up on the BBC's charter also btw.

I am actually rejecting the central premise of your argument that "crashing out" is biased language. The evidence I give for this is that everyone - even the explicitly pro-Brexit outlets - is using this phrase. That demonstrates that the phrase itself is not biased, and hence your argument that the BBC should behave differently from everyone else is moot.

The BBC has been using the phrase - just like everyone else - for months. I doubt the complaints of a few snowflakes made an iota of difference. I look forward to seeing it in further usage this year.

Happy new year!

Thanks for telling me what my point is. But you have missed it spectacularly.

I agree that the BBC is beholden to different standards than privately owned media outlets. Probably a good idea for you to brush up on the BBC's charter also btw.

I am actually rejecting the central premise of your argument that "crashing out" is biased language. The evidence I give for this is that everyone - even the explicitly pro-Brexit outlets - is using this phrase. That demonstrates that the phrase itself is not biased, and hence your argument that the BBC should behave differently from everyone else is moot.

The BBC has been using the phrase - just like everyone else - for months. I doubt the complaints of a few snowflakes made an iota of difference. I look forward to seeing it in further usage this year.

Happy new year!

You really must be a bit dim.

I am perfectly well aware of what the BBC's charter entails.

You are in a hole and digging it ever deeper. You fail to accept that there is any difference between the standards required for the News and political programmes like Newsnight.

And the argument that just because pro-Brexit outlets have some contributors using the "crashing out" terminology means that it isn't biased is a pathetic argument. Whether these outlets are pro-Brexit or not, they are independent organisations, and naturally they will have some contributors to the debate who will be Remoaners using that phrase. And when they use it, then they clearly indicate their bias towards the opinion that it will be a disaster for the UK. It is shrill language, anti-Brexit propaganda.

You seem to have totally misunderstood the whole point of my post. I fully expect the BBC, full of Remoaners and lefties to be biased towards the remain position on their political programmes like Newsnight and Daily Politics. Everybody expects and accepts that to be the case.

The reason for my post was because the phrase was used in a News item. If they reported that ex-PMs Major and Blair predicted that our departure would be bad for our economy and used that phraseology, then they are reporting an opinion of others. What they cannot do is use that sort of propaganda themselves. On the News programmes, the clue is in the name; they are there to report news, not express opinions.

I trust that the difference might now have penetrated your cranium.

And the argument that just because pro-Brexit outlets have some contributors using the "crashing out" terminology means that it isn't biased is a pathetic argument. Whether these outlets are pro-Brexit or not, they are independent organisations, and naturally they will have some contributors to the debate who will be Remoaners using that phrase. And when they use it, then they clearly indicate their bias towards the opinion that it will be a disaster for the UK. It is shrill language, anti-Brexit propaganda.

Yes, this piece was clearly written by a remainer: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/7752792/australian-view-brexit-trade-deal/

The very context it is used proves my point: "It would be better to crash out of the EU than be locked indefinitely in the single market and the customs union"

You seem a bit upset by all this.

Yes, this piece was clearly written by a remainer: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/7752792/australian-view-brexit-trade-deal/

The very context it is used proves my point: "It would be better to crash out of the EU than be locked indefinitely in the single market and the customs union"

You seem a bit upset by all this.

Your further misunderstanding of the entire thrust of my post clearly illustrates that you are indeed a bit dim. Read it again, this time more slowly and try and differentiate between somebody expressing an opinion in an independent media outlet and somebody reading the news on the BBC.

The Agreement accompanying the BBC Charter specifies that we should do all we can "to ensure that controversial subjects are treated with due accuracy and impartiality" in our news and other output dealing with matters of public policy or political or industrial controversy. It also states that our output is forbidden from expressing the opinion of the BBC on current affairs or matters of public policy, other than broadcasting or the provision of online services. The Accuracy, Impartiality and Politics, Public Policy and Polls sections of the Editorial Guidelines incorporate the BBC Trust's code as required under Paragraph 44 (5) of the Agreement, giving guidance as to the rules to be observed in connection with Paragraphs 44(1) to 44(4) of the Agreement.

Your further misunderstanding of the entire thrust of my post clearly illustrates that you are indeed a bit dim. Read it again, this time more slowly and try and differentiate between somebody expressing an opinion in an independent media outlet and somebody reading the news on the BBC.

The Agreement accompanying the BBC Charter specifies that we should do all we can "to ensure that controversial subjects are treated with due accuracy and impartiality" in our news and other output dealing with matters of public policy or political or industrial controversy. It also states that our output is forbidden from expressing the opinion of the BBC on current affairs or matters of public policy, other than broadcasting or the provision of online services. The Accuracy, Impartiality and Politics, Public Policy and Polls sections of the Editorial Guidelines incorporate the BBC Trust's code as required under Paragraph 44 (5) of the Agreement, giving guidance as to the rules to be observed in connection with Paragraphs 44(1) to 44(4) of the Agreement.

Saint si is right. While the BBC's commitment to impartiality is not easily maintained, especially in a febrile political atmosphere, it is not obvious why 'crashing out of the EU' without a deal is a partial way of expressing it. Nor have you made a case for its being partial. You've just assumed it to be so, because of your Jihadist mindset.

Both Remainers and Brexiters have spoken repeatedly about how no deal is a terrible outcome for the British economy. Both sides have referred to this as 'crashing out'. Therefore the BBC may reasonably call it crashing out.

Your feeble-minded attempt to exert some sort of language-control, with green-inked whinges to the BBC, won't work.

For a country that is worried about a hard border between the Irish Republic and the UK, they were certainly keen on one during World War II.

On July 9, 1943, newly-elected member of the Irish parliament Oliver Flanagan rose to make his maiden speech.

“There is one thing that Germany did and that was to rout the Jews out of their country,” he declared, saying that Ireland should follow suit. “They crucified our savior 1,900 years ago and they are crucifying us every day of the week.”

No one objected to Flanagan’s words. Certainly, his constituents did not appear unduly concerned. A year later, Flanagan was re-elected to the Dail, Ireland’s lower house of parliament, with twice as many votes as he had previously received.

Shortly after that now notorious speech, Flanagan was on his feet again in the Dail, questioning the Irish prime minister on plans for the country to take in 500 Jewish children from France. Under pressure, Éamon de Valera denied that the children were Jewish. Flanagan’s intervention, however, had the desired effect and the political row he had helped to stoke ensured that Ireland ultimately opted to leave the children to their fate.

While the virulence of Flanagan’s anti-Semitism may have been unusual, Ireland, which adopted a position of neutrality during the war, displayed precious little sympathy for Europe’s persecuted Jews.

One thing we should remember that, like Scottish Nationalists, Irish Catholics have a long history of deep hatred for the English. Any chance to screw us, they will take, as they will our money and jobs, when they need to.

The US are one of the few countries that is trying to help us, as they did all those years ago. We need to remember who our real friends are...

To be fair, they are voting to make our children's lives less flexible and prosperous, so maybe child-abusers is about right? I don't know...

Laughable that a supporter of The EU talks about children’s prosperity. If UK youth are suffering abuse, what are the youth of Greece, Spain, and Italy suffering.

Laughable that a supporter of The EU talks about children’s prosperity. If UK youth are suffering abuse, what are the youth of Greece, Spain, and Italy suffering.

I'm not a supporter of the EU in its current guise, as I have mentioned numerous times on this thread. However, I believe the country is stronger within the EU.

Anyway, why's that got any real relevance, unless you believe the issues are due to the EU? I personally don't - all those countries mentioned have struggling economies and political instability (and have had for years) even with the advantage of being in the EU - if they left it would be even more disastrous.

One thing we should remember that, like Scottish Nationalists, Irish Catholics have a long history of deep hatred for the English. Any chance to screw us, they will take, as they will our money and jobs, when they need to.

....and as if by magic, this appears:

Ireland wants hundreds of millions in EU aid to mitigate damage of no-deal Brexit

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction