Josh Sims - Loaned to NYRB: Official

spyinthesky

I think there's a rule for cup tie replays that you can't play anyone that wasn't registered for the original game.

I might have just made that up, though.

Rule 15 (f). All players must have been eligible to play in the original tie in order to play in a replayed orpostponed match

Sims' loan was not cancelled until Jan 7th so was not eligible for the original match. Can't play against Derby in the replay.

He is eligible for PL matches though as he is an u21 player

• 1 month later...
Cliché territory I know, but my gut feel is that if any manager is going to get the best out of Sims then Hassenhuttl is that man. Sims seems to be the kind of player that Ralph admires (industrious, attack minded, "hungry" etc). Yes, Sims may well have hit a ceiling in terms of his quality, but it's still gotta be worthwhile giving him a final crack of the whip under the new manager before offloading him. Nothing to lose.
This

I wonder whether he has just taken this long to get up to speed with Ralfs methods and now is getting his chance. Ralf is demanding of the players physicality and mentally, maybe Sims has only got up to those standards asked of him?

I wonder whether he has just taken this long to get up to speed with Ralfs methods and now is getting his chance. Ralf is demanding of the players physicality and mentally, maybe Sims has only got up to those standards asked of him?

Think it’s been more a case of Ralph going conservative with senior players short term.

I reckon that Academy player Josh Sims has made more of a contribution in half a game than £15m purchase Elyounoussi has made all season

Although not on the same level as the Carrillo deal, Mo is one of our worst signings in the new PL era.

I reckon that Academy player Josh Sims has made more of a contribution in half a game than £15m purchase Elyounoussi has made all season

To be honest he did that in the first ten minutes he was on.

Taken his chance with both hands if Ralph’s comments after the game are anything to go by.

Well done Josh :D

I have been wondering why he’s not been involved at all given the impact he had last season....off to Reading and not fancied there either. He does offer pace and unpredictability so it’s great to finally see him being a chance, especially when Moi has done naff all. About bloody time I say. Austin was frankly a waste of a shirt for this game, just not right for what we needed at all.

To be honest he did that in the first ten minutes he was on.

Taken his chance with both hands if Ralph’s comments after the game are anything to go by.

Well done Josh :D

What did he say?

Although not on the same level as the Carrillo deal, Mo is one of our worst signings in the new PL era.

At least Guido got a couple of assists.

looked like a player who understood movement and actually where his team mates were on the pitch without needing to look twice, sound display ,lets see more of him please Ralph, and to think he got sent back from a loan, he could be our January signing

Took his chance today and then some. Needs to do it consistently now. Great to see.

Sims has shown the ability consistently every time he has played to my eye. Just think he is a homegrown gem who has been overlooked - and its taken Ralph a while to get the message too.

To be fair, last season was pretty much a write off for Sims as he missed about eight months with a knee injury. Can't really blame Saints for setting back his development on that count. You can kind of understand them giving him a Championship loan for half a season to get some regular football under his belt.

Unfortunately, Reading were total crap and mismanaged by an absolute fraud (who also couldn't do a damn thing with Renato Sanches or Tammy Abraham last season), and things didn't work out.

I still can't understand, though, why Puel barely gave him a look in again after his MOTM debut (and semi-final winning cameo). That was weird.

Not sure he's going to be a world beater, but he's got good feet, technical ability, a bit of speed, and clever movement - there's definitely something to work with.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Sims has shown the ability consistently every time he has played to my eye. Just think he is a homegrown gem who has been overlooked - and its taken Ralph a while to get the message too.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I'm in tears, I really am :lol: You have been slagging JWP off for ages, just think, homegrown and a gem, but in your eyes, a waste of space. Priceless :lol::lol:

To be fair, last season was pretty much a write off for Sims as he missed about eight months with a knee injury. Can't really blame Saints for setting back his development on that count. You can kind of understand them giving him a Championship loan for half a season to get some regular football under his belt.

Unfortunately, Reading were total crap and mismanaged by an absolute fraud (who also couldn't do a damn thing with Renato Sanches or Tammy Abraham last season), and things didn't work out.

I still can't understand, though, why Puel barely gave him a look in again after his MOTM debut (and semi-final winning cameo). That was weird.

Not sure he's going to be a world beater, but he's got good feet, technical ability, a bit of speed, and clever movement - there's definitely something to work with.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I think the difference on Saturday was his passing, in the first half we could barely string two passes together. Sims had the vision to put in good forward passes into dangerous areas that actually hurt spurs.

He has. He's been badly mismanaged. Shown plenty when he's been given chances, yet we've spent fortunes over the last few years on players who has offered us a lot less.

So many just look at loan moves and the clubs they're sent to and write players off. You tend to see different opinions from those who actually watch the players regularly. Sims has a lot of talent. He should be far further ahead in his career now but we've been a mess for several years and couldn't expect much to go right under Pellegrino or Hughes.

Same is true of Gallagher. Too easy to just say they'd play if they were good enough. That relies on good management, luck and timing.

Yes true but Gallagher really is short of the requirement and Ralph clearly agrees as he isn’t using him.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I'm in tears, I really am :lol: You have been slagging JWP off for ages, just think, homegrown and a gem, but in your eyes, a waste of space. Priceless :lol::lol:

Give it up Ginge - I've always been a fan of Sims and Harry Reed - and up until recently, my criticism of Ward-Prowse has been well justified. Get back in your box.

Give it up Ginge - I've always been a fan of Sims and Harry Reed - and up until recently, my criticism of Ward-Prowse has been well justified. Get back in your box.

The other point of difference I'd make about Sims is he's a homegrown talent who has been overlooked. No one could say JWP has been overlooked after 7 seasons and nearly 250 appearances - let's hope he sustains his excellent form in the past 5 - 6 games.

Upto the managers to get the best out of players and to nurture youthful prospects into a finished article, Poch, RK n Adkins had JWP doing the right things, so did Puel, MH never played him but for the last few mins of a game or against top 6 teams but was also a rubbish manager, MOPO 2 was bad too, but JWP was one of our most consistent and contributed more than our most highly paid players including Redmond.

JWP has always played at a decent standard, has always worked hard and has had this same ability for years, the way he was being told to play is down to the manager, his lack of consistent game time is also down to the managers cause he has always played ok / good and has even had pundits wondering why he don't start, even Tommo said on sky sports the other night, we have took him for granted for years.

Not much of a complement really. Think I could contribute more than Moi. Sims was way way better than anything that our 15m flop has shown or will likely ever show. The issue is whether he can do it again given the opportunity. If he could reproduce what he did 2nd half Saturday then he would be first name on the team sheet, but maybe he will have to develop further as an impact sub first.

His first touch and passing in the game were very good. Particularly the first-time lay-off in the run up to Redmond's second shot into the side-netting. Almost Tadic-esque.
Errr wasn't he laying on the floor in crumpled heap during that attack having been kicked in the head?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

That's just repeating exactly the same mistake.

Gallagher is behind where he should have been after some poor loan moves and really bad managerial decisions here.

'The requirement' is not being a brilliant premier league striker. The requirement is offering as much or more than Charlie Austin or Shane Long, who have been utterly ****e. Fully expect Gallagher to get a chance under Ralph at some stage.

Well you sound very sure he is good enough. Personally I haven’t seen anything to suggest he is. I’m doubtful that he is actually as good as Long and Austin either and I wouldn’t throw him in just for the sake of it. He just doesn’t put enough into his game ....

A game of opinions though....

Well you sound very sure he is good enough. Personally I haven’t seen anything to suggest he is. I’m doubtful that he is actually as good as Long and Austin either and I wouldn’t throw him in just for the sake of it. He just doesn’t put enough into his game ....

A game of opinions though....

According to some Sims wasn't good enough a week ago and jwp wasn't a few months ago !?

• 3 weeks later...
I am. I've seen enough of him, for first team and other saints sides, and I've seen too much of attackers play really badly for us while he's not there.

If Sims had played and struggled he could at least learn from it and develop. The same happened to Lallana early on. I don't know if Sims can be that good, but I think he could replicate Redmond's development the last couple of years. It's a difficult position to get right and it will be inconsistent, but we've made do with Elyounoussi, a waste of money. We spent big on Boufal, we lost Tadic. It'd be crazy not to give Sims opportunities.

Ideally Redmond, Sims and a new winger can compete for places next season.

Oh, and happy birthday Josh Sims. Still only 22. Should be way further ahead in his career but expecting a big year now.

It’s a really fair point. If we’d have spunked £10m+ on him he’d have had more of a shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Sims seems to have what it takes to be an impact player: blazing speed, good touch, awareness of the players around him, decent passing. Pity he didn't score today, but he was key to our first two goals, and if he can add the odd goal to his game, he'll be an important player for us.

Once he becomes more composed in front of goal (which I'm sure will come with more game time) he's going to turn into a key player for us next season (IMO).

I agree with you.

It's frustrating that we loaned him out to get some match experience, but he didn't really get it. With hindsight he was always unlikely to get much time in a league where physical stature counts for a lot.

He's a really thoughtful, intelligent player who reads most situations very well, and his shortcomings seem more related to lack of experience and maturity.

Really pleased for him. Some of the dinlos writing him off on here based on a loan spell at a basket case of a club (reading) need to have a look at themselves.
I'm not into calling people "dinlos" but, yep, quite a few on here who couldn't grasp the concept that a good player can 'fail' when loaned to the 'wrong' club.