January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

I take the point but imo he's not good enough and I'd cash in when we can. If that means getting by with what's left until the season end, then so be it. We can then recruit someone more suitable.

Completely agree, we should bite Leicester’s hand off and get rid. He’s had 18 months and proven he’s not good enough. Get off the wage bill and even if we can’t get anyone in we’d have to be very unlucky to be without 2 of our 3 centre backs for any lengthy period for the rest of the season. Worst comes to worst Danso surely can’t be that bad can he? He’s played regularly in Germany.

Or buy one centre back and involve a youngster like Alfie Jones, who's done ok out on loan in league 1 as fourth choice.

Or sell Vestergaard now, give Danso some actual time at centre-back for once and see if he is worth persevering and take up purchase option which IIRC is only around 10 million Euros. Which is not a massive fee for a 21 year old if he does have some talent worth developing.

Or sell Vestergaard now, give Danso some actual time at centre-back for once and see if he is worth persevering and take up purchase option which IIRC is only around 10 million Euros. Which is not a massive fee for a 21 year old if he does have some talent worth developing.

I think the consensus is that Danso really isn’t all that good. He was awful for Austria when they got tonked and despite a semi-decent game against City, he hasn’t done much or impressed enough in training since. Great we were still stupid enough to pay over 3.5 million as a bloody loan fee. That’s extortion. That should be his fee!!!

JV missing from the Spurs game with 'concussion'.

Make of that what you will :lol:

Although he did get a knock on the head at palace was down for a while. I think the rules are that they aren’t allowed to play for so many days after a head injury so might be true

Turning down anything around 15m for Vestergaard would be criminal. I find it mind blowing that LCFC are interested.

Did well on Tuesday after his schoolboy error, but in general he is awful & not suited to the premier league in anyway. Whoever scouted/championed his signing should be shot on sight.

Adam Blackmore in discussion with Ralph on Adams and Vest:

On rumours about Adams (again) and now Vestegaard being linked with a move away, #SaintsFC boss Ralph Hasenhuettl said:

We don’t need to sell anyone

Nobody has knocked on my door asking to leave

Atmosphere is great in the squad and recent success has been about squad not 11

What about the manager?

Didn't he leave Leipzig doing a 'reverse Koeman?' As I understand he was going in to the last year of his contract but wanted a new one while the club were happy with the situation (I think they had someone lined up for the following season), unlike Koeman who claimed he was happy to see his contract out but the club weren't happy with that state of affairs.

Either way, we have a manager who doesn't seem to agree with continuing to work in the last year of a contract and a club who think the same.

Just a thought - I could be wrong, what do we think happens?

Sell Vestergaard, replace him with Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic, paid for with Forster or Elyounoussi, kill multiple birds with one stone.

Deadwood out, quality replacement in, no money spent, £15m-18m into the kitty. Everyone wins.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Lets hope Saints are sensible in these talks. Great opportunity to get a decent fee for a player I assumed we would end up loaning out in the summer at a huge loss.

With relatively few games to go, I think we could sell without getting a replacement in until the summer if needed.

Didn't expect to come in to that Vestergaard story. Does he need a lift up there?

It's certainly an odd one. You'd have to question the wisdom of the Leicester recruitment team if they think the solution to their defensive issues is a guy they managed to score 9 past earlier in the season.

Was it Rogers that took some of our lot to Anfield or am I getting muddled? Perhaps he knows something we don’t (!). Sure JV made a mistake against Palace, but come on, most players do and we kept a clean sheet. If there’s little aerial threat in opposition, JV could be considered good enough for a mid-table Prem side given the relatively low price. I think if we are looking to offload it will be for reasons not connected to performance alone.

I am not sure that is going to be a massive issue, we might have to subsidise a few but I reckon -

I reckon Forster will take a pay cut to rejoin Celtic and they'll pay a fee, not the ridiculous £25 million quoted but we might get £8-10 for him based on performances this season. He seems to have found a home there, got his confidence back and is liked there, so I reckon he'll drop wages to join them.

Elyounoussi similar, though I think he is on less wages here anyway, done well at Celtic, seems to be liked there so I reckon he might agree to go to Celtic and they might pay a small amount for him again maybe around the £8 million mark.

Cedric and Yoshida are both out of contract and likely to go, that is probably £100k a week off the wages right there.

Long I reckon we'll offer a new contract but on lower terms at his age and more as a squad role, seems an important figure in the dressing room.

Vestergaard seems wanted and even wanted by a PL club so we should get a fee there and no need to sub wages.

Boufal similar, seems wanted by clubs in Spain and Italy, he impressed on loan last year and I reckon we'll get a small transfer fee and he'll want to go to kick start his career.

------------

Between Forster, Elnoyussi, Boufal and Vestergaard I reckon we could maybe get £30 million in transfer funds, maybe more if Vestergaard goes for £15 million plus and Forster goes for £10 million. Vestergaard is obviously attracting interest from various places and has done ok enough, with a decent previous record to keep his value. The other 3 have done well on loan (Boufal last year), that has increased their reputations to make them more valuable and less the complete write offs people predicted.

Those four players definitely have re-sale value and as long as we don't demand stupid fees for them I reckon we'll sell them fairly easily and recoup a decent amount of money. The loans have paid off basically.

Its Carrillo and Hoedt who are the dead weights, they have been terrible for us, and then have done terrible on loan AND have high wages, I think we'll struggle to give them away for free paying half their current wages.

But the others coupled with those leaving for free could raise £25-30 million in funds and crucially should clear about £400k a week off the wage bill, that would give plenty of room to sign 4-5 quality players, if you add our yearly spend of about £50 million.

Celtic record transfer fee is 9 million. Not sure they’d spend that much on Forster and Elyounousi?

Sell Vestergaard, replace him with Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic, paid for with Forster or Elyounoussi, kill multiple birds with one stone.

Deadwood out, quality replacement in, no money spent, £15m-18m into the kitty. Everyone wins.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Would prefer their RB Frimpong. Looks decent

Was it Rogers that took some of our lot to Anfield or am I getting muddled? Perhaps he knows something we don’t (!). Sure JV made a mistake against Palace, but come on, most players do and we kept a clean sheet. If there’s little aerial threat in opposition, JV could be considered good enough for a mid-table Prem side given the relatively low price. I think if we are looking to offload it will be for reasons not connected to performance alone.

It wasn't a 'mistake' it was a reckless piece of overconfidence compounded by the complete lack of energy he displayed in trying to get back towards the ball. If Tosun had forced a save and the ball had bounced back out into the box, Vest would still have been jogging back towards the D with a rueful look on his face. No excuse for that.

I am not sure that is going to be a massive issue, we might have to subsidise a few but I reckon -

I reckon Forster will take a pay cut to rejoin Celtic and they'll pay a fee, not the ridiculous £25 million quoted but we might get £8-10 for him based on performances this season. He seems to have found a home there, got his confidence back and is liked there, so I reckon he'll drop wages to join them.

Elyounoussi similar, though I think he is on less wages here anyway, done well at Celtic, seems to be liked there so I reckon he might agree to go to Celtic and they might pay a small amount for him again maybe around the £8 million mark.

Cedric and Yoshida are both out of contract and likely to go, that is probably £100k a week off the wages right there.

Long I reckon we'll offer a new contract but on lower terms at his age and more as a squad role, seems an important figure in the dressing room.

Vestergaard seems wanted and even wanted by a PL club so we should get a fee there and no need to sub wages.

Boufal similar, seems wanted by clubs in Spain and Italy, he impressed on loan last year and I reckon we'll get a small transfer fee and he'll want to go to kick start his career.

------------

Between Forster, Elnoyussi, Boufal and Vestergaard I reckon we could maybe get £30 million in transfer funds, maybe more if Vestergaard goes for £15 million plus and Forster goes for £10 million. Vestergaard is obviously attracting interest from various places and has done ok enough, with a decent previous record to keep his value. The other 3 have done well on loan (Boufal last year), that has increased their reputations to make them more valuable and less the complete write offs people predicted.

Those four players definitely have re-sale value and as long as we don't demand stupid fees for them I reckon we'll sell them fairly easily and recoup a decent amount of money. The loans have paid off basically.

Its Carrillo and Hoedt who are the dead weights, they have been terrible for us, and then have done terrible on loan AND have high wages, I think we'll struggle to give them away for free paying half their current wages.

But the others coupled with those leaving for free could raise £25-30 million in funds and crucially should clear about £400k a week off the wage bill, that would give plenty of room to sign 4-5 quality players, if you add our yearly spend of about £50 million.

Hoedt has actually done very well on loan this season, though maybe that says something about the Belgian league.

https://www.voetbalprimeur.be/nieuws/910609/vp-11-centrale-verdediger-38-jarige-routinier-opvolger-kompany-en-toptransfers.html

Agree with everything else. The way I see it we have been limited in our ability to spend because of the amount of dross we have clogging up the wage bill, this could be the year we finally manage to cut most of them loose.

Hoedt has actually done very well on loan this season, though maybe that says something about the Belgian league.

https://www.voetbalprimeur.be/nieuws/910609/vp-11-centrale-verdediger-38-jarige-routinier-opvolger-kompany-en-toptransfers.html

Agree with everything else. The way I see it we have been limited in our ability to spend because of the amount of dross we have clogging up the wage bill, this could be the year we finally manage to cut most of them loose.

Did Hoedt doing well include getting sent off inside 8 minutes the other day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Hoedt doing well include getting sent off inside 8 minutes the other day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he did.:lol: At least they won, though they were actually 1-0 down when he was sent off so it only makes him look worse.:lol: Mouez Hassen was the opposition keeper.

The vote results I posted are from January 3rd and refer to the first half of the season, so no, it doesn't include that game.

Hoedt has been bang average at best. IMO, still turd, even at Jupiler Pro level. Same with Forster, though some on here will tell you letting in 1.4 shots per game in Scotland equates to England form.

As for transfers, would love us to look at the following;

YOUCEF ATAL

VICTOR WANYAMA

ADEMOLA LOOKMAN

HENRY ONYEKURU

MOSES SIMON

Also, Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Reiss Nelson (Arsenal), Phil Billing (Bournemouth), Callum Wilson (Bournemouth), Emi Buendia (Norwich).

Need a backup GK, and another CB desperately - missed a trick on Pongracic, genuinely a decent CB.

Blimey!!! I'll pay for the petrol.

I’ll get the Pringles and the M&Ms!! ;)

Who’d have thought, an approach for our cart horse, lanky, totem pole would bring some harmony to the forum!! Made me chuckle and, must admit, after a rare moment totally dumbfounded reading the story, it made my day.

We had best not be the usual, money hungry tw*ts over this. Just think, if this was couple of weeks ago, we could’ve shifted out BFG & potentially brought in Pongracic and made a profit. Too late for that now but I’m hoping our scouts have been heavily scouting centre backs and full backs for quite some time so have a series of targets...ideally who don’t play for Fulham.

Sell Vest to Leicester for 15M, and PEH to Everton for 35M. 50M should be enough for Ralph to get 3 to 4 emerging jems from Austria/Germany - markets he should know very well. Job done! After all we are investing everything we receive back in to the club right? Difference in wages (although there should not be much as these are two of our top earners), agents fees, new kit embossing, change of names on lockers, new entry passes, watches etc. etc. can be covered by selling Forster for 8 to 10M.

Sell Vest to Leicester for 15M, and PEH to Everton for 35M. 50M should be enough for Ralph to get 3 to 4 emerging jems from Austria/Germany - markets he should know very well. Job done! After all we are investing everything we receive back in to the club right? Difference in wages (although there should not be much as these are two of our top earners), agents fees, new kit embossing, change of names on lockers, new entry passes, watches etc. etc. can be covered by selling Forster for 8 to 10M.

We thought we were going to do that last summer but didn't. What makes you think we will do it this year?

From what I can see, we needed cover at full back and better centre backs before the window. The club made noises that we'll be strengthening.

We've since lost one of our existing full backs to injury and seem to be selling one of our experienced cover options at centre back if rumors are to be believed.

Chances are there will be no incoming. So, another classic Saints transfer window where we weaken the squad and hope that no-one gets injured between now and May.

Celtic record transfer fee is 9 million. Not sure they’d spend that much on Forster and Elyounousi?

Well I said around that value, they sold Tierney last summer for £25 million and I'd reckon they might lose another player like Edouard or Ajer this year anyway, plus I think over the last two seasons they are up around £20 million in player sales, so getting them to spend maybe like £15-16 million Forster and Mo is not that unrealistic, I think its wages more than transfer fees that would be the problem, their highest earners are around about £30k a week, Forster is on more than double that.

Really does make you notice that we should be picking up some of these players that Celtic manage to pick up, they seem to find some real good talents.

Or as others have said we could use them to makeweight in deals for someone like Ajer, though player exchange deals never seem to actually happen.

Issue is even if he has done ok, its the Belgian league so not going to impress many clubs in Europes top leagues and clubs in Belguim or like Holland have no money.

Best hope for getting some money out of Hoedt I reckon is a mid table Italian team go for him based on his performances for Lazio where he was quite good and rated, but wages will still be an issue, I recon we'll be paying a good chunk of his wages for the remainder of his contract even if we do manage to shift him.

Its the double edged sword of the PL riches, we can attract the players with the big fees and big wages like no other smaller clubs in Europes can, but then if we want to sell the player and there are no PL takers, it makes shifting them much harder.

We thought we were going to do that last summer but didn't. What makes you think we will do it this year?

Well we spent over £50 million last year anyway, we spend that pretty much every year and I think we can afford to do the same this year with the PL money.

It's wages that is the problem, we need to shift wages out to get new players in, to remain sustainable and stick with FFP, I think when you look at out of contract players, players being wanted (Vestergaard, Hojberg) and players doing well on loan (Forster, Mo, Boufal) I think it'll be easier for the club to do deals this summer than last year.

Even more so if we finish higher in the league and get in a good name for the player recruitment role who might have sway on the continent.

SSN reporting West Ham have bid £10m for Matty Cash at Forest.

Now we'll see if we're interested. Reading the Forest forums they don't need to sell but think 15-18 million could do it. Typical West Ham going in low though.

Cash sounds like a good option for DM/RB, provides a lot of cover and doubt Cedric will stay much longer anyway. Be great to get him.

I know WH will offer higher wages but they also offer a relegation fight and an utter mess of a club. Players know they're more likely to develop here, even despite a few flops in recent years.

£12m in today's market seems like a decent price too. Would take selling Vestergaard to cover it.

I must say I do like the cut of his jib - seems as if RH was interested when at RB. As to the dosh - i think I’ve seen RH quoted that the money is there but it’s got to be for the right player ie not another Hoedt, lemonade, Carrillo - we cant afford those types of **** ups

https://www.footballinsider247.com/southampton-favourites-to-sign-walker-peters-from-tottenham/

Favourites for perm signing of KWP according to this.

Leeds moving on from Adams by lining up JK Augustin.

Not keen on signing a spurs cast off. Can't recall a signing from them that has worked out, Paul Allen had a few good games under Alan Ball but ended up going out on aloan then a free, David Howells, Fourpast, and long ago Frank Saul. Maehle seemed to ahve something about him, shame taht hasn't been pursued if we've suddenly got £15m out of Gao's piggy bank.

Surprised we're not looking at Augustin given his time with RH at Leipzig, although he certainly hasn't pulled up any trees on his current loan.

Not keen on signing a spurs cast off. Can't recall a signing from them that has worked out, Paul Allen had a few good games under Alan Ball but ended up going out on aloan then a free, David Howells, Fourpast, and long ago Frank Saul. Maehle seemed to ahve something about him, shame taht hasn't been pursued if we've suddenly got £15m out of Gao's piggy bank.

Surprised we're not looking at Augustin given his time with RH at Leipzig, although he certainly hasn't pulled up any trees on his current loan.

RON REYNOLDS ex Spurs kept goal ok for a few years. Cetainly they have done better out of us..Alf Ramsey, Martin Chivers before recent ones