January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

SuperSAINT

Not keen on signing a spurs cast off. Can't recall a signing from them that has worked out, Paul Allen had a few good games under Alan Ball but ended up going out on aloan then a free, David Howells, Fourpast, and long ago Frank Saul. Maehle seemed to ahve something about him, shame taht hasn't been pursued if we've suddenly got £15m out of Gao's piggy bank.

Surprised we're not looking at Augustin given his time with RH at Leipzig, although he certainly hasn't pulled up any trees on his current loan.

Thought Frank Saul was quite decent lol

How times change...

Leeds United are close to completing the signing of French striker Jean-Kevin Augustin. The 22-year-old is currently on loan at Monaco from RB Leipzig but is struggling for game time. (L'Equipe - in French)

wasnt he deemed out of our price range not too long ago?

Not keen on signing a spurs cast off. Can't recall a signing from them that has worked out, Paul Allen had a few good games under Alan Ball but ended up going out on aloan then a free, David Howells, Fourpast, and long ago Frank Saul. Maehle seemed to ahve something about him, shame taht hasn't been pursued if we've suddenly got £15m out of Gao's piggy bank.

Both of your points are completely irrelevant

Being a player not deemed good enough for Spurs doesn't mean he wouldn't be for Saints.

How past signings from Spurs have done at Saints had no bearing at all on how they'd do at Saints

Surprised we're not looking at Augustin given his time with RH at Leipzig, although he certainly hasn't pulled up any trees on his current loan.

Agree not sure why we’d want to pay that sort of fee for a spurs youth product with little experience and who has impressed so little for them.

People rightly give Bournemouth grief for forking over large fees for player’s just because they once spent a day in a Liverpool top.

Agree not sure why we’d want to pay that sort of fee for a spurs youth product with little experience and who has impressed so little for them.

People rightly give Bournemouth grief for forking over large fees for player’s just because they once spent a day in a Liverpool top.

It’s the same fee as Targett do you think that was correct then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a team that plays 2 up front, I’d be looking to hijack the Augustien deal to give us some strength in depth for the rest of the season. (And annoy Leeds twice in one window...)

As for KWP, yes but for nowhere near £15 million that article quotes. If Maehle has been priced at £7.5 million by Genk, I can’t see us not paying that then going for KWP at double the price. Because he’s English? Then for similar money go for Matty Cash who is more versatile and has more experience at the same age.

For a team that plays 2 up front, I’d be looking to hijack the Augustien deal to give us some strength in depth for the rest of the season. (And annoy Leeds twice in one window...)

As for KWP, yes but for nowhere near £15 million that article quotes. If Maehle has been priced at £7.5 million by Genk, I can’t see us not paying that then going for KWP at double the price. Because he’s English? Then for similar money go for Matty Cash who is more versatile and has more experience at the same age.

We don't need 5 strikers.

Re Maehle, the fact nobody else is going for him either is perhaps telling?

This is the modern market problem for clubs like Saints. A player with potential or having done vaguely alright costs a fortune. But it only takes a poor half season or season and their value collapses, like Hoedt or Lemina.

Why can’t saints pay £30-£40m for a player? Watford, Palace, Newcastle, West Ham, wolves and Leicester can

Even the likes of Villa, Fulham, Brighton and Bournemouth have a bigger record transfer fee than us

Both of your points are completely irrelevant

Being a player not deemed good enough for Spurs doesn't mean he wouldn't be for Saints.

How past signings from Spurs have done at Saints had no bearing at all on how they'd do at Saints

Quite right. Look what a great signing we had from Spurs in Tommy Fourpast!!

At the risk of cover old ground...it is because we have wasted millions on rubbish players, who are on massive wages. Once theyre gone or sold, we can then join the pack. 7m for Armstrong though....what is he worth now?
But all those clubs have wasted millions on rubbish players as well.

We don't need 5 strikers.

Our three non-Ings strikers have scored a combined two league goals all season. I definitely think there’s room for a fifth striker, or let’s rephrase that and say a ‘new’ striker. Yes we have won a couple of games without Ings recently but I’d be very worried if we lost him long term. We’re lucky we have midfielders than can score if needed. Augustien’s scoring record is hardly amazing, but he’s worked with Ralph before so maybe he can get the best out of him. An Ings injury (and yes we’re all thinking it despite his ability to stay fit this season so far) means we have Long, Adams and Obafemi for the rest of the season as our three strikers which doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Saints spent £50m+ in the summer.
Only if you are pointless pri ck counting the Ings fee which we'd committed to twelve months previously.

And the point was about spending £30m plus on single players as others have done.

Strange you're not pedantic enough to gauge what the point in hand actually is.

The money wasn't paid before the transfer happened in the summer of 2019.
Oooh you've corrected me on the point I already knew you were making.

Oh how we all celebrated the breathtaking brand new player Danny Ings that we signed in the summer of 2019. Jesus wept.

Oooh you've corrected me on the point I already knew you were making.

Oh how we all celebrated the breathtaking brand new player Danny Ings that we signed in the summer of 2019. Jesus wept.

He is like a brand new player, and we are celebrating him.......

Cheers hypo.

I guess it will be a huge summer. Massive turn around if players and probably a new manager!

I doubt he will leave yet but next year wouldn't surprise me. I did wonder how we managed to attract him in the first place, it really was a coup considering how low our stock was at that point. He obviously liked the idea of building us back up and improving his cv.

Yes but if the reason he came was to raise his profile then it's unlikely he will want to stay for an extended period of time.

When is his contract up?

I remember the train of thought that we would not allow Koeman to start a season in his last year.

I would be perfectly fine doing that with Ralph.

When is his contract up?

I remember the train of thought that we would not allow Koeman to start a season in his last year.

I would be perfectly fine doing that with Ralph.

Got 18 months left. You’d hope they’re already speaking to him about an extension.

Yes but if the reason he came was to raise his profile then it's unlikely he will want to stay for an extended period of time.
Money talks. That £7million Koeman wanted to stay is nothing compared to what we've now wasted on Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not all managers want to spend big money and have a team of stars/celebrities.The Big Six and the glamout trail does not suit everyone. Some real footballing types prefer to coach and nuture talent and get satisfaction from that. I am thinking and hoping that we've got one of those. The signs are good!

Hi there. Going to post small bits about what I've heard. For reasons I'm sure people understand some information is sensitive:

January.

Relevant club staff have been told to work until late on transfer deadline day. Suggests that at the very least we will be working to bring someone in.

The club.

Agreement seems to be that the club structure went to pot after we qualified for Europe. Apparently following this we brought in a load of extra staff in departments. The people I spoke to think we are overstaffed in certain areas to do with the club, with loads of staff doing jobs that are different from their job description. The board itself is apparently decent but the department heads are pretty rubbish and are largely the reason that things have gone backwards. Almost all decisions have to be run past the board for approval which means we have had a high turnover of backroom staff as many want to stay but small things like little pay rises or contract changes can take ages to be approved and staff get fed up and find alternative employment.

We had a solid system for recruiting players and under krueger and Wilson things changed. Ross and krueger were largely responsible for the transfer debacle of the last couple of years. The club are aware that Les carried the can for a load of the decisions but apparently he was blamed for a load of stuff that wasn't his fault. Wilson was largely to blame. The carillo transfer in particular, loads of scouts said he wasn't worth the cash but Ross was adament that he would do well.

Ralph.

Decided to come to the club and use us largely as a stepping stone. Came in and promised to stay and get us up the table but then wants to leave and move on. Unlikely to stay for too long if we have some success.

Lost rohl once he knew bayern wanted him. Big loss because he was the link between Ralph and the players. Even now Ralph is slightly isolated. Ralph really doesn't trust many of the hangers on like coles and kelvin. If you notice he rarely interacts with them and doesn't do much conferring on match days other than with the bald guy (can't remember his name.)

Hi there. Going to post small bits about what I've heard. For reasons I'm sure people understand some information is sensitive:

January.

Relevant club staff have been told to work until late on transfer deadline day. Suggests that at the very least we will be working to bring someone in.

The club.

Agreement seems to be that the club structure went to pot after we qualified for Europe. Apparently following this we brought in a load of extra staff in departments. The people I spoke to think we are overstaffed in certain areas to do with the club, with loads of staff doing jobs that are different from their job description. The board itself is apparently decent but the department heads are pretty rubbish and are largely the reason that things have gone backwards. Almost all decisions have to be run past the board for approval which means we have had a high turnover of backroom staff as many want to stay but small things like little pay rises or contract changes can take ages to be approved and staff get fed up and find alternative employment.

We had a solid system for recruiting players and under krueger and Wilson things changed. Ross and krueger were largely responsible for the transfer debacle of the last couple of years. The club are aware that Les carried the can for a load of the decisions but apparently he was blamed for a load of stuff that wasn't his fault. Wilson was largely to blame. The carillo transfer in particular, loads of scouts said he wasn't worth the cash but Ross was adament that he would do well.

Ralph.

Decided to come to the club and use us largely as a stepping stone. Came in and promised to stay and get us up the table but then wants to leave and move on. Unlikely to stay for too long if we have some success.

Lost rohl once he knew bayern wanted him. Big loss because he was the link between Ralph and the players. Even now Ralph is slightly isolated. Ralph really doesn't trust many of the hangers on like coles and kelvin. If you notice he rarely interacts with them and doesn't do much conferring on match days other than with the bald guy (can't remember his name.)

glad I read the pre-edited version

;)

All sounds plausible Hypo, cheers.

I've got no expectation that Ralph is going to be here for multiple seasons. If he carries on current form and we end up, say, 8th then I'd say he's gone in the summer. It's not like the club have backed him with resources so what's he got to stay for?

What is likely to keep him here is that his record remains patchy and any potential blue-chip clubs would look at 9-0 and some stuttering form in the autumn. That said he's probably already done enough to get a mid ranking job in Germany again.

If he does the entirity of next season I will be very surprised.

All sounds plausible Hypo, cheers.

I've got no expectation that Ralph is going to be here for multiple seasons. If he carries on current form and we end up, say, 8th then I'd say he's gone in the summer. It's not like the club have backed him with resources so what's he got to stay for?

What is likely to keep him here is that his record remains patchy and any potential blue-chip clubs would look at 9-0 and some stuttering form in the autumn. That said he's probably already done enough to get a mid ranking job in Germany again.

If he does the entirity of next season I will be very surprised.

Yes I'd agree with that. As you say his record has been a bit patchy, I reckon he'd want to stay for a bit longer yet to enhance his reputation but its not going to be a big shock if he leaves soonish.

January.

The club.

Ralph.

Thank you Hypo. Interesting stuff and the senior staff point ties in with certain commercial matters and documents from the club that I know of. I have to be vague, but there are issues for sure. On Rohl, I'd understood that his leaving was not his decision, and that the bayern job came along after the decision was made for him to leave. Was your source certain that his leaving was his choice?

Thank you Hypo. Interesting stuff and the senior staff point ties in with certain commercial matters and documents from the club that I know of. I have to be vague, but there are issues for sure. On Rohl, I'd understood that his leaving was not his decision, and that the bayern job came along after the decision was made for him to leave. Was your source certain that his leaving was his choice?
they seemed to think it was but I doubt they were told that directly by rohl so it was most likely second hand info. We didn't talk about rohl in much detail. I've had to leave some bits out and not go into too much detail as some of this stuff is obviously sensitive. Edited by hypochondriac

The academy bloke who left for England and due to start in February has been all over the club recently - was there a lot last week- and apparently is an incredibly positive appointment as he knows the club and will return things to higher standards and remove some of the department heads if not performing on football side. Jaidi apparently is still working for the club and there may be an expectation that he has gone to learn in America and will return in the future.

Point was made about the academy that effects both positive and negative take a few years to see the effects. Therefore the poorness of our current academy is down to bad decisions from a few seasons ago. Any positive moves now will take a few seasons to bear fruit.

Gao

Nothing we don't already know but has no intention of putting money in or taking any out. Only ever wanted the club to raise his profile abroad and as an asset to assist him in his other businesses. Some people are nervous about the sponsor this year and fear it could be something dodgy like money laundering.

Edited by hypochondriac

I imagine this sort of stuff goes on at most clubs. Re Ralph, there isn't much loyalty at any club barring the big 6 on paper, but I would be happy if he at least saw his contract out. If not, board have to the make the right decision, Ralph's style of football has been a breath of fresh air, whoever comes in has to have the same ethos. Finally despite the crap, we are a team worth watching

January.

The club.

Ralph.

Thanks for this. I would dispute the last point however. Funny how during our great run there hasnt been any mention of Rohl. But when we were struggling, it was all because Rohl had left. Think his influence has been overstated by some and if Ralph was really that isolated, he would have asked to club to address it. We certainly wouldnt have went on the run we have if Ralph was feeling isolated. Thats not to say there wont be backroom changes in the summer, but dont think things are as bad as some make out