Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

I predict that Hojbjerg, Bertrand, Danso and Boufal will all leave in the summer. Possibly Romeu as well. That would mean we'd need the following in the summer..

2x CB

1x RB

1x LB

2x CM

1x AM

7-8 players in one summer? It's just not going to happen.

We won't need two CB. Four is enough, so one more in if Danso leaves, that makes six needed if those five leave. We signed eight when we first came up so hardly impossible.

In the summer I am hoping for this;

OUT

Forster

Elyounousi

Lamina

Hoedt

Vestergaard

Carrillo

Boufal

NEW CONTRACTS

PEH - 3 years

LONG - 1 year, but probably need to be with an option for a 2nd year.

IN

2 X CBs

1 x DCM

2 x AM/Winger

Added to a squad of

McCarthy Gunn

Bertrand Vokins

KWP Valery

Bednarek Stephens

Romeu JWP PEH

Redmond Djenepo

Ings Adams Long Obefemi

So the question is can we raise enough mo ey from the 7 sales (if we can even do them!!) to buy 5 good players!!

It's going to be interesting!!

I think we need to move on from the season of "it's impossible to do business in January and the club is right not to overspend to sign anyone and it's good we got shot of those players. It was right to sell them. Let's see where we are in the summer and make changes then". That window is closed.

We can now get all warmed up for the summer season of "you can't expect to make loads of signings in one window, the team won't gel and no one can expect all those players to stay if they get a better offer than we can give them so it's correct to sell them. Let's see where we are in January and make changes then".

See you in July everyone.

By keeping our powder dry we are brilliantly set up for a cracking summer window. The overhaul can start then.

Not January though isn’t pal. We’ve needed a decent Centre back for 3 years, 6 transfer windows, remind me how it’s gone?

Ralph said for weeks we need to strengthen in January, especially the full back positions. We’ve strengthened in those positions by letting 3 go and one come in by the looks of it. So we’ve actually weakened there.

Not sure what “dumb comment” you’re talking about. Is pointing out that out of 20 premier league clubs only two have a lower record transfer feee than us and no other club has made a profit from transfers? It’s a fact pal, not a dumb comment. It’s funny when people don’t like facts they dismiss them as dumb comments and take high ground, defensive tactics I guess.

It is January and we are where we are now, what has gone before is completely irrelevant.

And no Ralph has not been 'saying that for weeks' he said that ONCE before we even got to the Jan window and has subsequently said since (and several times) that the performance of the team and the performance of the youngsters has altered their plans and made their less of a need to rush replacements in and that they didn't want to block the development route of the young players.

But hey you don't want to listen to our own manager, because you somehow know better.

Also it being a 'fact' doesn't not make it a dumb comment, its an irrelevant fact as I showed you, it means nothing because loads of those clubs are doing worse than use which shows how meaningless it is, West Ham spent over £100 million in the summer and bought a player for £45 million, but they are 8 points behind us and deep in a relegation battle.

SO who cares if other clubs have bigger transfer records than us, it doesn't mean anything, the fee of a player is irrelevant if you don't recruit properly. Even with our crap record of recent signings we have shown that transfer is meaningless as we have got more value out of cheap transfer fees like Armstrong and Bednerak than we have the people we have spent more on, so you banging on about what other clubs do is dumb, especially when the table literally embarrasses you.

Edited by tajjuk

I predict that Hojbjerg, Bertrand, Danso and Boufal will all leave in the summer. Possibly Romeu as well. That would mean we'd need the following in the summer..

2x CB

1x RB

1x LB

2x CM

1x AM

You are assuming that if they go they will be replaced externally. Isn’t the “Southampton Way” about bringing the youngsters through?

It is January and we are where we are now, what has gone before is completely irrelevant.

And no Ralph has not been 'saying that for weeks' he said that ONCE before we even got to the Jan window and has subsequently said since (and several times) that the performance of the team and the performance of the youngsters has altered their plans and made their less of a need to rush replacements in and that they didn't want to block the development route of the young players.

But hey you don't want to listen to our own manager, because you somehow know better.

Also it being a 'fact' doesn't not make it a dumb comment, its an irrelevant fact as I showed you, it means nothing because loads of those clubs are doing worse than use which shows how meaningless it is, West Ham spent over £100 million in the summer and bought a player for £45 million, but they are 8 points behind us and deep in a relegation battle.

SO who cares if other clubs have bigger transfer records than us, it doesn't mean anything, the fee of a player is irrelevant if you don't recruit properly. Even with our crap record of recent signings we have shown that transfer is meaningless as we have got more value out of cheap transfer fees like Armstrong and Bednerak than we have the people we have spent more on, so you banging on about what other clubs do is dumb, especially when the table literally embarrasses you.

I tell you what is embarrassing pal, is that you’ve completely ignored what the manager has said about our transfer business. A quick google search throws up 3 interviews over a period of weeks before and during the transfer window where he said we need players and he also says he wasn’t happy with the summer transfer window either, but of course you reckon he’s chuffed to bits with it all and only said it once, seems like it’s you who wasn’t listening to the manger and knows better pal. When you can’t even get the basics right it negates any other points you might be trying to make :lol:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-transfer-news-ralph-hassenhuttl-rumours-gossip-epl-a9254466.html

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18007432.southampton-boss-ralph-hasenhuttl-januarys-transfer-window/

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/hasenhuttl-reveals-january-signings-are-not-a-must/ar-BBZ2ZSS

I tell you what is embarrassing pal, is that you’ve completely ignored what the manager has said about our transfer business. A quick google search throws up 3 interviews over a period of weeks before and during the transfer window where he said we need players and he also says he wasn’t happy with the summer transfer window either, but of course you reckon he’s chuffed to bits with it all and only said it once, seems like it’s you who wasn’t listening to the manger and knows better pal. When you can’t even get the basics right it negates any other points you might be trying to make :lol:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-transfer-news-ralph-hassenhuttl-rumours-gossip-epl-a9254466.html

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18007432.southampton-boss-ralph-hasenhuttl-januarys-transfer-window/

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/hasenhuttl-reveals-january-signings-are-not-a-must/ar-BBZ2ZSS

You're wasting your time. This forum is just infested now with 8-10 SFC apologists.

This forum no longer represents the fanbase.

Look at social media and other forums. "Fans" are rightfully annoyed about this window and the continued lack of investment and backing of Ralph

I think we need to move on from the season of "it's impossible to do business in January and the club is right not to overspend to sign anyone and it's good we got shot of those players. It was right to sell them. Let's see where we are in the summer and make changes then". That window is closed.

We can now get all warmed up for the summer season of "you can't expect to make loads of signings in one window, the team won't gel and no one can expect all those players to stay if they get a better offer than we can give them so it's correct to sell them. Let's see where we are in January and make changes then".

See you in July everyone.

:toppa:

Time to get rid of Bednarek. He is too slow, out of position, isn't especially good at defending and can't start attacks. I probably would still get rid of all our CBs and start again as even though Stephens has improved he still lacks in a number of areas. If we could put him and Bednarek together as one player, I'd keep that one. Attempt to get rid of the dead wood. I would let Long go. I think we need to change the front a bit and Adams and Obamfemi will have to learn to do a bit of his work. Actually, if I could I'd probably still get rid of a lot of them but keep McCarthy, Bertrand, Valery, Stephens (just), JWP (which is a first), probably Romeu over PEH, Armstrong, Adams, Obafemi, Djenepo, Ings, possibly Boufal, Gunn, Redmond. I think we probably need 3 windows to address the weaknesses in this squad fully.

Ignoring potential outgoings we need:

1 x RB

1 x CB

1 x CM

I would have said LB, but I think Vokins is establishing himself as back up.

Then if the following leave;

Bertrand - x1 LB (Personally I think he will be here next season)

Højbjerg - x1 CM

Long - x1 Striker (I think Adams and Obafemi will stay)

Yoshi is definitely off, Boufal highly likely, but we may feel we already have enough depth on the wings.

Ignoring potential outgoings we need:

1 x RB

1 x CB

1 x CM

I would have said LB, but I think Vokins is establishing himself as back up.

Then if the following leave;

Bertrand - x1 LB (Personally I think he will be here next season)

Højbjerg - x1 CM

Long - x1 Striker (I think Adams and Obafemi will stay)

Yoshi is definitely off, Boufal highly likely, but we may feel we already have enough depth on the wings.

A really good summary and a realistic shopping list. I wouldn't be surprised if Romeo goes too as he will only have 1 year of his contract left. Think that he would be good to keep as a squad player though. Also possible that with Yoshi, Danso, Hoedt (please) going, that we'll actually need two CBs.

I've been having a read of the Gillingham forum and it seems Alfie Jones is having a good season down there, but is playing as a defensive midfielder. One or two of them say he's destined for bigger things. I wonder if he'll ever get a chance with us, or like Harrison Reed be loaned out until he's released. I guess if we go down/would have gone down him and Reed would have been in the squad but maybe we're a level above them now.

I've been having a read of the Gillingham forum and it seems Alfie Jones is having a good season down there, but is playing as a defensive midfielder. One or two of them say he's destined for bigger things. I wonder if he'll ever get a chance with us, or like Harrison Reed be loaned out until he's released. I guess if we go down/would have gone down him and Reed would have been in the squad but maybe we're a level above them now.

Did very well for u23's as they got promoted, now's done well out on loan. Surely he should at least get a shot at a squad role next season.

A really good summary and a realistic shopping list. I wouldn't be surprised if Romeo goes too as he will only have 1 year of his contract left. Think that he would be good to keep as a squad player though. Also possible that with Yoshi, Danso, Hoedt (please) going, that we'll actually need two CBs.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on that. If those three AND Vest all leave, then we'd need two but now that we've settled on 2 CBs in the team, we really only need 4 in total. The fact that we had 6 on the books in the first place (and none of them were good enough) is somewhat ridiculous.

Remember when no one was better at signing CBs?

Fonte and Jaidi in L1. Hoiveld great in the Championship.

Then bargain Yoshida in the Premier league.

Then Lovren.

Then Alderweireld.

Then Van Dijk.

So just to make it a level playing field with the rest of the league we subsequently signed Hoedt, Vestergaard and Danso. Can we go back to getting it right now please?

You left out the signings of our current first choice painting...

Stephens £150k

Bednarek £5m

Pretty good value for the prices paid!

Ah the old classic passive aggressive 'pal', the bed rock of a good argument :lol:

Also did you even read the last one you quoted?

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has revealed that the club have changed their mind on the January transfer window.

Hasenhuttl says that Southampton are no longer looking at January signings as a “must” due to the upturn in form. Instead, they will only make a move if it is right for them.

Speaking to FourFourTwo, Hasenhuttl said this:

“So we don’t have a ‘must’ now, we can do something if we want.”

“But as you know me and our club, we don’t do anything just to do something.”

“We’ll have to be careful but we’ll have our eyes open and if something is really perfect for us, then yes, maybe we’ll do something. ”

:lol:

yes I was listening to the manager, you even provided a link with direct quotes from him, he literally said -

Which seems to suggest he was generally happy with things, whereas your other quotes are from November and December, so BEFORE the window and then the one DURING the window supports what I said.

LOL, I believe some one said -

'when you can’t even get the basics right it negates any other points you might be trying to make' :D

Ah the old classic passive aggressive 'pal', the bed rock of a good argument :lol:

Also did you even read the last one you quoted?

:lol:

yes I was listening to the manager, you even provided a link with direct quotes from him, he literally said -

Which seems to suggest he was generally happy with things, whereas your other quotes are from November and December, so BEFORE the window and then the one DURING the window supports what I said.

LOL, I believe some one said -

'when you can’t even get the basics right it negates any other points you might be trying to make' :D

Funnily enough in January 2019 he said he wanted a player in, when we didn’t he said he was fine with it

In summer 2019 when he said he wanted to bring a few more in after the window shut he said he was happy with the transfer window, although he later admitted he wasn’t

January 2020 he said he wanted to bring players in, when we didn’t he then said he was happy with what he had

So there is a pattern here, but you keep believing that Ralph’s over the moon with our transfer business of it makes you feel better

Thought I'd park this here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51392691

Suggestions of the window going back to keeping in line with Europe and the end of August rather than the start of the season.

So looks as if we might have to stretch the thread out until 31st August before accepting no one of note is coming in.

I think everyone felt it would allow clubs to focus on the games, once the season had started. But the reality is that unless all the other top leagues come into line, it's pointless.

And seeing as the top leagues didn't come in line, it doesn't surprise me that we'll be back to the normal summer window.

Suggestions of the window going back to keeping in line with Europe and the end of August rather than the start of the season.

So looks as if we might have to stretch the thread out until 31st August before accepting no one of note is coming in.

Sensible move. Whilst it prolongs the disappointment for us it makes sense. Lots of people used to say the window should shut when the season starts but with so much business done in other leagues now it makes no sense to shut the window so early.

Sensible move. Whilst it prolongs the disappointment for us it makes sense. Lots of people used to say the window should shut when the season starts but with so much business done in other leagues now it makes no sense to shut the window so early.

Don't mean to be harsh, but we need a keeper. Someone vaguely reliable to compete with McCarthy, even if it's a one season deal.

Gunn might be a good long term signing, he's young, but he's not good enough yet. And how will he improve as our back up?? If he goes and plays 40 games in the championship next season I'm sure he'll do well and come back a better player. No problem with him being our keeper in a couple of years if he fulfils his potential but right now he's just too easy to score past. McCarthy is alright at best, but he's some way ahead of Gunn.

Fair points

Don't mean to be harsh, but we need a keeper. Someone vaguely reliable to compete with McCarthy, even if it's a one season deal.

Gunn might be a good long term signing, he's young, but he's not good enough yet. And how will he improve as our back up?? If he goes and plays 40 games in the championship next season I'm sure he'll do well and come back a better player. No problem with him being our keeper in a couple of years if he fulfils his potential but right now he's just too easy to score past. McCarthy is alright at best, but he's some way ahead of Gunn.

We have Forster coming back from Celtic

No way will we sign a keeper, we've got 3 already. McCarthy is competent, Forster we cant give away and Gunn is young, hungry and guaranteed to improve. Unless we can get rid of two there is more chance of you not boring everyone to death with your whining posts than us signing another keeper.

2x CB

1x RB

1x LB

2x CM

1x AM

IMO thats way too many players to hope to hit the ground running and to get any understandings.........plus you know who we have as our chairman right?........

IMO thats way too many players to hope to hit the ground running and to get any understandings.........plus you know who we have as our chairman right?........

It’s only really Hoj and Bertrand who are regular starters, plus whoever ends up being our first choice RB next season.

So there is a pattern here, but you keep believing that Ralph’s over the moon with our transfer business of it makes you feel better

Not said that anywhere, but if you need to argue a strawman to make you feel better then you do you. Ralph said what Ralph said, you provided a link with his current quotes which said he didn't feel the need to make signings for the sake of it. That is contrary to what you have claimed, if you have issue with it maybe contact him directly.

---------------------------------------------------

The window has been officially confirmed back to September the 1st now, so less pressure to rush in signings before the rest of Europe, which makes sense, the idea was sensible but not if our league was the only ones doing it.

Not said that anywhere, but if you need to argue a strawman to make you feel better then you do you. Ralph said what Ralph said, you provided a link with his current quotes which said he didn't feel the need to make signings for the sake of it. That is contrary to what you have claimed, if you have issue with it maybe contact him directly.

---------------------------------------------------

The window has been officially confirmed back to September the 1st now, so less pressure to rush in signings before the rest of Europe, which makes sense, the idea was sensible but not if our league was the only ones doing it.

I know what you like to pretend Ralph said but he said quite specifically in January 2019 he wanted to bring one player in and several times before and during January 2020 that we had to make signings. In fact solent even said that there would be a new signing announced early the following week after a Saturday game. It never happened. Ralph also said we had a few things lined up, again none of them happened. Then at the end of the window suddenly he changed his mind. It’s obvious what’s happened, we’ve missed out on a few targets and he’s spinning it positively, not my fault you don’t want to believe it

I know what you like to pretend Ralph said but he said quite specifically in January 2019 he wanted to bring one player in and several times before and during January 2020 that we had to make signings. In fact solent even said that there would be a new signing announced early the following week after a Saturday game. It never happened. Ralph also said we had a few things lined up, again none of them happened. Then at the end of the window suddenly he changed his mind. It’s obvious what’s happened, we’ve missed out on a few targets and he’s spinning it positively, not my fault you don’t want to believe it

I wouldn’t bother mate. I admire your drive and determination to strive for common sense and logic, but you couldn’t grow sense on them if they were an Asian virus in a massively unambitious Petri dish. No point wasting energy talking sense and finding links if someone is determined to be the prize bell or the cattle. Your cheerleader term sums it up best. Either that or senseless squabbling, like Brendon FC.

This link may settle a few squabbles. Try not to be smug and highlight it coming from the daily telegraph which is definitely NOT the club’s mouth piece and this is surely, like every previous Saints article, an outright lie made up purely by the newspaper as no club representative swore an oath on camera or gave a name or made anything attributable to the club. So, certain people should be careful which facts or supposition they choose to cherry pick to suit their unrealistic, unambitious, standards lacking agenda.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/02/07/southampton-expect-ralph-hasenhuttl-sign-new-contract-major/

Surely they'll find a way to sign him? He seems happy there.

Back on form he wouldn't be so bad competing with McCarthy if his contract wasn't so big here. Once he's gone I wouldn't be surprised to see us get someone else in and loan out Gunn. If Gunn is the keeper they think he'll become he needs to go and play and develop.

Gunn was considered good enough for Man City when they ruled the roost so it's a bit silly to write him off yet. Can't imagine Forster would want to come south again after the way he was treated here.

I wouldn’t bother mate. I admire your drive and determination to strive for common sense and logic, but you couldn’t grow sense on them if they were an Asian virus in a massively unambitious Petri dish. No point wasting energy talking sense and finding links if someone is determined to be the prize bell or the cattle. Your cheerleader term sums it up best. Either that or senseless squabbling, like Brendon FC.

This link may settle a few squabbles. Try not to be smug and highlight it coming from the daily telegraph which is definitely NOT the club’s mouth piece and this is surely, like every previous Saints article, an outright lie made up purely by the newspaper as no club representative swore an oath on camera or gave a name or made anything attributable to the club. So, certain people should be careful which facts or supposition they choose to cherry pick to suit their unrealistic, unambitious, standards lacking agenda.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/02/07/southampton-expect-ralph-hasenhuttl-sign-new-contract-major/

Why would any of our better players want to leave if Hasenhutl stays, where will they get a better deal unless one of the big clubs can guarantee them first team status. Careers end on benches and none of the players cited by the Telegraph seem to be in it just for the money.

Gunn was considered good enough for Man City when they ruled the roost so it's a bit silly to write him off yet. Can't imagine Forster would want to come south again after the way he was treated here.

Paid 100k a week and dropped after he started playing poorly?

Paid 100k a week and dropped after he started playing poorly?

Think we need someone to clear up the Forster situation. Is he a really good player who has been treated really badly or his he one of the raft of crap players on big money we can’t sell that mean we can’t sign any new players? Seems to be a divided view on this one

Think we need someone to clear up the Forster situation. Is he a really good player who has been treated really badly or his he one of the raft of crap players on big money we can’t sell that mean we can’t sign any new players? Seems to be a divided view on this one

Based on his turnaround at Celtic, I'd say he's a confidence-driven shot stopper, who isn't great coming out for crosses and has a weakness getting down to low shots. We're not the right team for a keeper with shaky confidence, or one with limitations that our defence isn't dominant enough to mitigate. Understandably, playing for the biggest club in Scotland conceals pretty much all of these.

Why would any of our better players want to leave if Hasenhutl stays, where will they get a better deal unless one of the big clubs can guarantee them first team status. Careers end on benches and none of the players cited by the Telegraph seem to be in it just for the money.

Who are you referring to as our better players? I wouldn’t mind Højbjerg going if you refer to him as he won’t sign a new deal so is gunning for a move. I don’t rate him anyway. Romeu I wouldn’t mind leaving as we should be looking for a long term replacement anyway. His legs have gone and he doesn’t have the pace & energy to suit Ralph’s style of play. Good servant that he is.

Any new contracts, I imagine players may look at their options as, judging by GaoÂ’s strong resistance to spending any money on running a football club, I would imagine heÂ’s reticent to offer an overly competitive wage package. However, I would hope the club would offer something decent with Ings, realising his importance. I suspect players could easily improve their wages following a move so itÂ’s totally feasible for players to be moving on.

Based on his turnaround at Celtic, I'd say he's a confidence-driven shot stopper, who isn't great coming out for crosses and has a weakness getting down to low shots. We're not the right team for a keeper with shaky confidence, or one with limitations that our defence isn't dominant enough to mitigate. Understandably, playing for the biggest club in Scotland conceals pretty much all of these.

What turnaround is that? (not aimed at you, but to the others who genuinely think that). He has 1-2 shots to save per match on average.

Oh, just the perception. I've got friends who support Celtic, and they're all very happy with him.

I've watched a couple of games and dipped in and out on a few and hes been barely tested, still flappy and not really tested with the exception of the Rangers cup final game. He's massively overhyped, as he always has been.

the only way that is going to be resolved is we allow him to leave for free, which would enable a club like Celtic to get close to his current wages. Even then he would need to take a cut too to make it work and Saints to send him on his way with a nice fat 'loyalty' bonus. One thing's for sure, SFC wont come out of it winning, financially.