Premier Football to restart?

Weston Saint

In amongst all this mayhem, I wonder how many fans will simply "fall out of the habit" of going to football.

It has been made a middle-class sport and the absence of football may make the heart grow fonder or it may fall out of sight and out of mind.

I would love to crack a beer and watch a game on the telly tonight, but the thought of heading to St Marys tonight wouldn't fill me with the same enthusiasm.

That's all very understandable. Personally, I have a different motive. I have two season tickets and I go with my eldest grandson who will be 18 in September. After next season (2020-2021 if that goes ahead) he will probably be away at university so these next few games will be my lasy chance to spend some time with him regularly.

Only by Mark Palios in the Guardian . He says " I believe there is very strong arguement that the exceptional circumstances of a pandemic and prohibition on all football activities mean players contracts have been frustrated in law . If this is correct , they are void and the clubs don't have to honour them . "

That's strange. When I read this I had a moment of euphoria and an image of a donkey entered my head. Can't figure it out.

Would love to be competing in a league without the big six. It would still be entertaining, would be more competitive and we might even actually end up winning something.

Something, as in a noddy competition. Would be like winning the Full Members cup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Call me cynical but would not surprise me in the slightest if somehow the Premier League re-started then after one or more likely with the calculations two games had been played and Liverpool had two wins, a reason would be found to call the season off there and then. All other issues would be voided but Liverpool would be awarded the title.

Yeah, I know, I am cynical and personally I think it should be cancelled now as it's not as important as what is happening every day as a result of this awful virus.

The only outcome of trying to finish this season would be that the champions of the league would be confirmed.

As the leagues below have stopped, and probably will be cancelled, there would be no promotion into the Premier League. With that being the case, the ‘relegated’ teams from this year probably wouldn’t actually be related to the Championship.

Having to play the rest of the game in sterile, neutral grounds, would still probably mean lots of lawsuits as it wouldn’t be the product advertised in the way the contract would expect.

As most of the European leagues have cancelled this season, I expect that when the new season starts, it would be stipulated that the teams playing in European competitions would be the same teams as this year, for the above reason that most European leagues were cancelled.

So we would still have lawsuits, no relegation or promotion, the European competitions would start afresh with this seasons teams playing again and potentially players/staff could get infected and pass it onto to someone who consequently falls very ill or worse, all so this league can finish to, probably, award Liverpool the title.

Not worth it. Cancel it like Europe. Start at the same time when we can with the other leagues in Europe. Same fixture list. Same teams in Europe.

The only outcome of trying to finish this season would be that the champions of the league would be confirmed.

As the leagues below have stopped, and probably will be cancelled, there would be no promotion into the Premier League. With that being the case, the ‘relegated’ teams from this year probably wouldn’t actually be related to the Championship.

Having to play the rest of the game in sterile, neutral grounds, would still probably mean lots of lawsuits as it wouldn’t be the product advertised in the way the contract would expect.

As most of the European leagues have cancelled this season, I expect that when the new season starts, it would be stipulated that the teams playing in European competitions would be the same teams as this year, for the above reason that most European leagues were cancelled.

So we would still have lawsuits, no relegation or promotion, the European competitions would start afresh with this seasons teams playing again and potentially players/staff could get infected and pass it onto to someone who consequently falls very ill or worse, all so this league can finish to, probably, award Liverpool the title.

Not worth it. Cancel it like Europe. Start at the same time when we can with the other leagues in Europe. Same fixture list. Same teams in Europe.

Except that in France, they have relegations, promotions and european spots determined on this season s table so it doesn t really back up your point does it?

Except that in France, they have relegations, promotions and european spots determined on this season s table so it doesn t really back up your point does it?

I was just airing my thoughts.

So that would be two nations then in a multi nation competition. Kind of backs up my thoughts. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

The problem with cancelling this season is the precedent it will set. If you don’t finish this season, what will be different about next season? Will there be a cure, a vaccine?

Maybe less people will be dying, but less people will be dying because of lockdown, not because the virus has disappeared. And what happens if a spike occurs in Nov/Dec and as many people are dying as now. Logic dictates you’ll have to stop again. If the Government or football itself decide it’s unsafe for fit healthy men to play football this season, what will be different about next season. If you accept it’s unsafe in June it’s going to be harder to argue it’s safe in Sept if nothing has fundamentally changed.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Call me cynical but would not surprise me in the slightest if somehow the Premier League re-started then after one or more likely with the calculations two games had been played and Liverpool had two wins, a reason would be found to call the season off there and then. All other issues would be voided but Liverpool would be awarded the title.

Yeah, I know, I am cynical and personally I think it should be cancelled now as it's not as important as what is happening every day as a result of this awful virus.

I don't think it's cynical at all. It would solve the problem of Liverpool being legitimate champions and avoid that backlash. And it would show a "serious" attempt to finish the season which would go some way to protect the PL against claims from the TV companies.

The issues would be relegation and promotion, and Euro places. IMO, although it would be tough on likely promotees and lucky for those fighting relegation, as the lower leagues have been abandoned, it's impossible to decide how any promotion/relegation could work without being artificial, destroying the integrity of the competitions or being a stitch-up to get the preferred teams into the PL. So, no promotion or relegation. And same teams as last year in Europe. Leicester to replace Man City if banned.

Sorted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's cynical at all. It would solve the problem of Liverpool being legitimate champions and avoid that backlash. And it would show a "serious" attempt to finish the season which would go some way to protect the PL against claims from the TV companies.

The issues would be relegation and promotion, and Euro places. IMO, although it would be tough on likely promotees and lucky for those fighting relegation, as the lower leagues have been abandoned, it's impossible to decide how any promotion/relegation could work without being artificial, destroying the integrity of the competitions or being a stitch-up to get the preferred teams into the PL. So, no promotion or relegation. And same teams as last year in Europe. Leicester to replace Man City if banned.

Sorted.

The promotion/relegation issue opens up another mine field probably more difficult to resolve than any other.

Don't disagree with you, but can't see it being adopted as it will be subject to a longwinded legal challenge.

The promotion/relegation issue opens up another mine field probably more difficult to resolve than any other.

Don't disagree with you, but can't see it being adopted as it will be subject to a longwinded legal challenge.

I think any course of action is open to legal challenge, but my suggestion gives the least grounds.

If the season is null and void because of force majeur (except for outcomes already determined) it's not the PL's fault.

If there is any contrived method of determining final positions it will be open to challenge from those disadvantaged, eg by losing home advantage, losing home atmosphere, losing players out of contract on June 30. In fact, anything that is not normal. Using current positions is equally flawed.

I think any course of action is open to legal challenge, but my suggestion gives the least grounds.

If the season is null and void because of force majeur (except for outcomes already determined) it's not the PL's fault.

If there is any contrived method of determining final positions it will be open to challenge from those disadvantaged, eg by losing home advantage, losing home atmosphere, losing players out of contract on June 30. In fact, anything that is not normal. Using current positions is equally flawed.

They will have built that into any agreement if all clubs agree that will be watertight from legal challenge perspective.

As long as games are not being played all clubs are haemorrhaging money.

Whilst this isn’t ideal it will give some income

They will have built that into any agreement if all clubs agree that will be watertight from legal challenge perspective.

As long as games are not being played all clubs are haemorrhaging money.

Whilst this isn’t ideal it will give some income

But I'm very doubtful all clubs will agree.

The problem with cancelling this season is the precedent it will set. If you don’t finish this season, what will be different about next season? Will there be a cure, a vaccine?

Maybe less people will be dying, but less people will be dying because of lockdown, not because the virus has disappeared. And what happens if a spike occurs in Nov/Dec and as many people are dying as now. Logic dictates you’ll have to stop again. If the Government or football itself decide it’s unsafe for fit healthy men to play football this season, what will be different about next season. If you accept it’s unsafe in June it’s going to be harder to argue it’s safe in Sept if nothing has fundamentally changed.

The difference between what happens with the current season and what happens with next season is that this season was started with absolutely no provisions in place for what should happen in the event that something stopped the season from completing. So we now have a situation where there's absolutely no way to fairly complete the current season under the rules that it was started under.

Most sports under those conditions would declare an event null and void, but there's so much money in football that it poses an existential threat to clubs and maybe even to leagues themselves to miss out on that money, so we might end up with some sort of unhappy compromise to try and retain as much of that as possible.

Next season could have new rules in place to cover what should happen in the event of something massive preventing the end of a season, with the agreement of all teams, as well as the TV companies, in advance.

I think that's broadly correct. What we have at the moment is a Mexican standoff. The government are refusing to call the end of the season to avoid the financial backlash falling on them- indeed they've made (perhaps disingenuous) noises saying they'd like sport to carry on. Ditto the PL and Sky. Below that there are all sorts of people and organisations who need to be paid as per contract, not least the players.

There has to be a resolution soon but Sky won't pay for a product they aren't getting, and clubs can't fulfil contracts without income from them and sponsors who aren't getting their advertising without TV footy. The government won't call it, the clubs won't as they need the income, the players won't as they want the dollars, and Sky won't as the buck will stop with them. Thus, I think it will inevitably be a fudged outcome with the season concluding to a fashion but as almost exhibition football. I'd prefer a null and void but for the above reasons I don't think that likely.

But I'm very doubtful all clubs will agree.

All clubs don't need to agree in fairness. The Premier League works on a defined majority voting system - can't remember exactly but it'll be 14 or 16 clubs that need to agree for it to carry.

All this posturing is to confuse the lawyers before the lawsuits start flying around. Nobody surely seriously believes that there will be any more football this season. Typical vacillation in this country that has already cost far too many lives. Make a bloody decision will you and put an end to it!

We are breeding a nation of weak scared people afraid of their own shadow. We used to thrive in adversity not ah1t ourselves.

FFS without football what is the point?

Footy, the elixir of life eh.

Fck me the Germans are playing fast and loose. Haven’t they considered the 4 billion lawsuits?

Can’t believe they are trying something that so many have said is impossible?

Don’t they care about like... death and dying?

A few leagues resuming soon (and let's not forget that Belarus and Tajikistan have been carrying on regardless)

K League on 8th May

Bundesliga on 15th May

Czech, Portugal and Poland before the end of the month.

The difference between what happens with the current season and what happens with next season is that this season was started with absolutely no provisions in place for what should happen in the event that something stopped the season from completing. So we now have a situation where there's absolutely no way to fairly complete the current season under the rules that it was started under.

Most sports under those conditions would declare an event null and void, but there's so much money in football that it poses an existential threat to clubs and maybe even to leagues themselves to miss out on that money, so we might end up with some sort of unhappy compromise to try and retain as much of that as possible.

Next season could have new rules in place to cover what should happen in the event of something massive preventing the end of a season, with the agreement of all teams, as well as the TV companies, in advance.

What will be different in Sept than in June?

If the it’s agreed it’s not safe for players in June, what will make it any safer in Sept. The “stay at home” brigade will have a logical and powerful argument in Aug that football accepted it was unsafe in June, so it’s unsafe now.

I don’t particularly want a restart, I think it’ll be a farce. But I’m concerned that by accepting they can’t, it will be a longer wait for the new season.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

What will be different in Sept than in June?

If the it’s agreed it’s not safe for players in June, what will make it any safer in Sept. The “stay at home” brigade will have a logical and powerful argument in Aug that football accepted it was unsafe in June, so it’s unsafe now.

I don’t particularly want a restart, I think it’ll be a farce. But I’m concerned that by accepting they can’t, it will be a longer wait for the new season.

I don't think we're likely to be able to play for a fair while yet.

Like I said, the rules can be changed ahead of a new season to take into account the possibility of the need to extend the season or decide on the results of a curtailed season, as well as the rules around registration of players, changing the transfer window, required clauses in players' contracts etc.

Unfortunately, trying to press ahead as if conditions have improved enough to safely play football isn't going to make it real. I think we need to face up to the prospect that football is going to be on the back burner for a while yet.

Just my opinion, but, it is the fans who give teams an advantage at home. With no fans the advantages or disadvantages are negligible.

No surprise that it is the bottom six who are objecting to neutral venues.

I speak as someone who does not necessarily believe that Saints are safe.

Just my opinion, but, it is the fans who give teams an advantage at home. With no fans the advantages or disadvantages are negligible.

Given how **** we are at home we should be lobbying for permanent neutrality, kind of like a footballing Switzerland.

I don't really mind if the league resumes or not, it would be nice to have something to watch but in the greater scheme it isn't really important.

I know Germany hasn't had the level of Corona issues we have, but compare the football response from here to there and it really does amplify how much better run the Bundesliga is. No squabbling over 60 minute halves, no suggestions of no relegation, no gang bang parties, no Gordon ****ing Taylor. I don't care if the PL has the riches and the 'top 6', the Bundesliga is the standard our clubs should aspire to.

Yeah but it’s the same for everyone more or less, obviously the fixtures vary but no one has a real disadvantage.

The only side who will probably really benefit are those who will play against teams with nothing to play for. Whilst they are usually the games you want anyway, in the current situation you can see those teams really taking it easy.

Fck me the Germans are playing fast and loose. Haven’t they considered the 4 billion lawsuits?

Can’t believe they are trying something that so many have said is impossible?

Don’t they care about like... death and dying?

To be fair they tried fascism once...& that went down like a fart in a spacesuit

I might start following a German team.

Looks like the Bundesliga is restarting soon.

Spain too?

Apparently, back in Blightly, we might need to accept that we can't even play next season in any proper way. Or rewrite the rules about it. Or something. Gees. How the mighty have fallen.

Edited by SaintBobby

I might start following a German team.

Looks like the Bundesliga is restarting soon.

Spain too?

Apparently, back in Blightly, we might need to accept that we can't even play next season in any proper way. Or rewrite the rules about it. Or something. Gees. How the mighty have fallen.

Germany have put us to shame over this. If you look at it logically and come up with practical solutions it should be easily achievable. The worst that will probably happen is a few 20 something blokes get a bit of a cough.

The worst that will probably happen is a few 20 something blokes get a bit of a cough.

The worst thing that can happen is some 20 somethings mother or grandmother will die, one of the 200 or so support staff may die, a neighbour or agent. Some people may decide that if footballs back on, social distancing isn’t as important as before, potentially spreading the thing. Those are the worst that will happen, I’d say the best thing that will happen is a couple of 20 somethings get a cough. One thing for sure, if something does happen you’ll be first in the queue criticising Boris for allowing it to happen.

One or two people may well die as a result of football matches restating , the question is whether stopping all football is proportionate to the risk. One or two people probably die driving to games each season, yet we don’t ban driving. People have died fly helicopters to & from games, including a friend of mines brother many years ago. Yet we still allow it.

Society needs to get back to normal ASAP, otherwise the damage will be felt for years to come. Playing football again will send out a signal we’re going to have to live with this thing. The Government have scared people half to death and boxed themselves into a corner. We can’t go on like this until a vaccine is found, and we can’t stop playing football until then either.

The simple thing to do is sit back and wait and see how the Bundesliga "restart" goes.

If the German teams can't make it work, then it's probably fair to say that the PL and EFL won't be able to do it either.

Of course life isn't simple, and maybe there are some legal challenges going on in the background with player contracts for example. I have no idea. But that would seem a sensible idea right now.

The worst thing that can happen is some 20 somethings mother or grandmother will die, one of the 200 or so support staff may die, a neighbour or agent. Some people may decide that if footballs back on, social distancing isn’t as important as before, potentially spreading the thing.

If anyone involved is stupid/selfish enough to come into contact with friends or relatives who are high risk then it is their fault if they die, not football's. If they are that reckless/dumb then their loved ones are probably at just as much risk anyway regardless of wether they go to work or not.

The second point is obviously a concern but it shouldn't be impossible to get the message across that these are people who have been tested and in a controlled environment.

Personally I think this home factor coming in etc is becoming tedious- Villa have said they’ll suffer a £200m loss or something if they go down- well if season carried on as normal and they went down would this still not apply? So then it is their fault for being in this position anyway.

Brighton have cried saying home atmosphere is gone when they only have like 4 wins out of 14 anyway.

I think we need to null and void and settle the season on some sort of magical formula- what we need is a formula in the vein Duckworth Lewis Stern does for cricket, which whilst still has its flaws of course but let the mathematicians come out!

The alternative is to offer current top 6 championship clubs or something a good chunk of PL money but in truth there is no answer to this all someone will get upset.

I’m just glad it isn’t us embroiled in this!

Personally I think this home factor coming in etc is becoming tedious- Villa have said they’ll suffer a £200m loss or something if they go down- well if season carried on as normal and they went down would this still not apply? So then it is their fault for being in this position anyway.

Brighton have cried saying home atmosphere is gone when they only have like 4 wins out of 14 anyway.

I think we need to null and void and settle the season on some sort of magical formula- what we need is a formula in the vein Duckworth Lewis Stern does for cricket, which whilst still has its flaws of course but let the mathematicians come out!

The alternative is to offer current top 6 championship clubs or something a good chunk of PL money but in truth there is no answer to this all someone will get upset.

Magic formula?

How about a double season? Join this one and the next together so that each team plays another four times, twice at home and twice away.

I really haven’t thought this ought so please be prepared to shoot me down :)

There are also ignoring the fact that if home advantage is so important playing at neutral venues makes their away games easier so it’s pretty much the same for everyone.

Magic formula?

How about a double season? Join this one and the next together so that each team plays another four times, twice at home and twice away.

I really haven’t thought this ought so please be prepared to shoot me down :)

Haha I have no answer to what the magic formula is but I’d prefer a 38 game season for 2020-21 and be done with this one

The fixation on finishing this season seems so huge but the problem is money and the PL has too much it owes to people if it can’t fulfil the 38 game season it promised to sponsors/sky etc etc

So surely voiding and taking the hit now to get ready for 38 games next season is best bet?! (At least preparing something for next season means we can also fix all conditions so nothing is unfair)

Perhaps instead of a formula then they can finish this season with a series of play offs and award Liverpool the title?

(Award is not the same as winning)

They’ll be lawsuits no matter what though.

It would be a massive advantage to Saints playing in neutral venues because of our away form. I been told Ralph and the players are less keen to play at home because the crowd get on their backs too quickly.

Likewise Villa have said they are going to vote against the league continuing because of their good home form. If you’ve been lucky enough to watch the team play practise matches like when we played Fulham in the International break. The players take the games very seriously.

It would be a massive advantage to Saints playing in neutral venues because of our away form.

Away and neutral aren't the same though, a benefit of being away is the home team is often expected by their fans to be on the front foot which opens them up for counter attacks. Games at neutral stadiums won't have an expectation on the 'home' side by their fans.

Germany have put us to shame over this. If you look at it logically and come up with practical solutions it should be easily achievable. The worst that will probably happen is a few 20 something blokes get a bit of a cough.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/montpellier-midfielder-sambia-out-of-coma-breathing-on-his/hip84gg80mw81w4q9n73mrrpu

Not sure that's true...

It would be a massive advantage to Saints playing in neutral venues because of our away form. I been told Ralph and the players are less keen to play at home because the crowd get on their backs too quickly.

Likewise Villa have said they are going to vote against the league continuing because of their good home form. If you’ve been lucky enough to watch the team play practise matches like when we played Fulham in the International break. The players take the games very seriously.

these comments make me laugh,

who have you been told by?

It’s hardly non disclosure topic, so I am genuinely interested in who told you.

But, the crowd doesn’t get on the teams back at all, certainly not from the start and certainly no more than any other ground I go to.

Our fans noise is pretty crap anyway, like a lot of home grounds and of course there are going to certain individuals moaning all the time and maybe quite loudly, but I have a feeling that Ralph and the team aren’t worried about Jim in block 10, row q of the Northam.

Clearly when we are losing to the likes of West Ham and Newcastle, there is going to be disgruntlement but you’d find that anywhere else.

Fake news alert.