Jose Fonte interview

Mikey88

Can’t be arsed trawling four hours of radio, what did he say?

He loved being here and never wanted to leave Saints. His favourite manager was Koeman but he learned something from all of them. When he came back from the Euros he had offers from other clubs to more than double his salary but tuned them down. He negotiated for an improved contract here but was stonewalled by Reed, who then made up a story that Fonte had put in a transfer request, which Fonte was shocked to see, and then told Fonte he had to leave and find himself another club. He was earning less at West Ham than he had been offered at Saints and considerably less than he had been offered earlier by other clubs. Adam said he travelled on the train to London with Fonte who was almost in tears because of the way he had been forced out from Saints.

He loved being here and never wanted to leave Saints. His favourite manager was Koeman but he learned something from all of them. When he came back from the Euros he had offers from other clubs to more than double his salary but tuned them down. He negotiated for an improved contract here but was stonewalled by Reed, who then made up a story that Fonte had put in a transfer request, which Fonte was shocked to see, and then told Fonte he had to leave and find himself another club. He was earning less at West Ham than he had been offered at Saints and considerably less than he had been offered earlier by other clubs. Adam said he travelled on the train to London with Fonte who was almost in tears because of the way he had been forced out from Saints.

I don’t buy any of that. Not that I’m in any way a fan of Reed but the idea that he told Fonte he had to leave AND take a pay cut, to which Fonte and his agent kindly obliged makes no sense. You can’t just tell a contracted player he has to leave, that’s the exact problem we’ve had for years with Clasie, Carrillo, Hoedt etc. Why would we force our captain and starting CB out of the club, mid-season, when we didn’t have a replacement?

Anyway, I remember numerous interviews and sources at the time saying that he ‘wanted to be nearer family in London’. Why say that if you’ve just been forced out of the club (if that were possible)?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38694821

It was clear after he won the Euros, that he wanted to get a move to another club and get some 'big money' before retiring.

I'm sure there was disagreement at the time that he (fonte) thought he was good for at least another two years added to a deal and the club said 'no' just one is on offer.

He got the hump about that, but i dont think he formally asked to leave, so Reed did probably **** on him with an article in the media about a transfer request.

Im sure his move to london helped his wife, who wanted to move and also his brother was playing at fulham back then.

I dont hold any grudge and respect him as a key player who helped us get promotions to the PL

I don’t buy any of that. Not that I’m in any way a fan of Reed but the idea that he told Fonte he had to leave AND take a pay cut, to which Fonte and his agent kindly obliged makes no sense. You can’t just tell a contracted player he has to leave, that’s the exact problem we’ve had for years with Clasie, Carrillo, Hoedt etc. Why would we force our captain and starting CB out of the club, mid-season, when we didn’t have a replacement?

Anyway, I remember numerous interviews and sources at the time saying that he ‘wanted to be nearer family in London’. Why say that if you’ve just been forced out of the club (if that were possible)?

I don’t see any reason for him to lie after the time that has passed to be honest

Well, Adam Blackmore believes him and so does Dave Merrington, who during the interview phoned in and said it was a big mistake by the club.

With regard to what Fonte asked for, he said it wouldn't even have made him one of the top 3 earners in the team.

He said still loves going into training and helping the young players and hopes to play another 2 or 3 years at the top level and then will take his coaching badges and perhaps one day become a manager. Apart from the way he was forced out by Reed at the end, he was full of praise for Saints and said he enjoved every minute of his time here. He praised every manager he played for, including Pardew, who he spoke very highly of. He came across as a very humble person.

Also swapped agents to Jorge Mendes a year before moving to West Ham.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/southampton-defender-jose-fonte-sparks-6178842

I believe Fonte over Reed any day of the week. Reed screwed everyone and everything.

This.

The problem is there were still many fans who lapped up the negative PR leaks about every player and manager Reed clashed with as if they were God's gospel. It's certainly tainted the relationship between fans and players and managers over the years.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/southampton-defender-jose-fonte-sparks-6178842

I can’t imagine Mendes phoning Reed up and saying, "he’s your captain, he’s just won Euro 2016, we have other parties interested... we want to be paid LESS than (at least) three other players in the squad." They’d be demanding top dollar, no shadow of a doubt, so I don’t believe that bit either.

I don’t really care if it’s Reed. In fact I wouldn’t care if our DoF was the b*stard love child of John Westwood and the child snatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Fonte’s version of events has more holes than a rusty colander.

I can’t imagine Mendes phoning Reed up and saying, "he’s your captain, he’s just won Euro 2016, we have other parties interested... we want to be paid LESS than (at least) three other players in the squad." They’d be demanding top dollar, no shadow of a doubt, so I don’t believe that bit either.

I don’t really care if it’s Reed. In fact I wouldn’t care if our DoF was the b*stard love child of John Westwood and the child snatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Fonte’s version of events has more holes than a rusty colander.

Spot on.

The stuff coming out of the club may not of been 100% the truth, but neither is Fonte’s version imo. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, Adam Blackmore believes him and so does Dave Merrington, who during the interview phoned in and said it was a big mistake by the club.

With regard to what Fonte asked for, he said it wouldn't even have made him one of the top 3 earners in the team.

He said still loves going into training and helping the young players and hopes to play another 2 or 3 years at the top level and then will take his coaching badges and perhaps one day become a manager. Apart from the way he was forced out by Reed at the end, he was full of praise for Saints and said he enjoved every minute of his time here. He praised every manager he played for, including Pardew, who he spoke very highly of. He came across as a very humble person.

When you consider Forster and Van Dijk were already paid vast amounts of money in wages.

I kinda believe that.

When you consider Forster and Van Dijk were already paid vast amounts of money in wages.

I kinda believe that.

Two sides to every story. Given fonte was captain, Long term player and a big influence in dressing room, plus we’d given big contracts to a number of other players around then I’m sure he did want a longer deal, especially as at 33 it’s have been his last chance of a big deal. However I don’t think he did himself any favors the way he went about it, there are stories of him interrupting board meetings, trying to hold the club over a barrel and generally being a bit of d1ck about it all. It was a massive balls up to let him go, you need players like that around the club and then to cap it all we obviously didn’t even have a replacement lined up. Although Reed was obsessed with young players breaking through surely he could the huge gulf between fonte and Stephens.

Two sides to every story. Given fonte was captain, Long term player and a big influence in dressing room, plus we’d given big contracts to a number of other players around then I’m sure he did want a longer deal, especially as at 33 it’s have been his last chance of a big deal. However I don’t think he did himself any favors the way he went about it, there are stories of him interrupting board meetings, trying to hold the club over a barrel and generally being a bit of d1ck about it all. It was a massive balls up to let him go, you need players like that around the club and then to cap it all we obviously didn’t even have a replacement lined up. Although Reed was obsessed with young players breaking through surely he could the huge gulf between fonte and Stephens.

And who did those 'stories' about that went on inside the boardroom or in negotiations emanate from? (In his interview, Adam Blackmore said, "Let's be clear the person you were negotiating with was Les Reed).

And who did those 'stories' about that went on inside the boardroom or in negotiations emanate from? (In his interview, Adam Blackmore said, "Let's be clear the person you were negotiating with was Les Reed).

Fair point, it may have been Reed, it may not. Either way Reed doesn’t out of it very well. He’s either shamefully treated a good and loyal player forcing him out and not replacing him or let a good player leave and not replaced him. Personally I think Fonte had some interest that summer, then with players around him getting bigger contracts too he wanted one, which is arguably fair enough given he was captain and an important player. Reed refused, they feel out, no one supported him so he left. It’s a real shame he left, had he stayed he may have been only the second captain to lift a major trophy. He didn’t have to leave though, as others have said we can’t force Carrillo, Lemina and other mugs to leave and Reed doesn’t pick the team, so that’s where the flaw in his version is.

Big loss on and off the pitch. What we’d do for a leader like him in our back line these days!

Last season he led his Lille team to runners-up spot and a Champions League place, with the best defensive record in the league. This season, they were lying 4th when the league was suspended. He is still a regular for Portugal and has won 42 caps for them already, as well as two trophies.

After listening to the interview yesterday I definately believe Fonte. He was our captain, our leader. He never wanted to leave. The board at the time made a big mistake in the events that happened. Jose clearly still misses the club as evident in his voice when speaking to Adam Blackmore. Top top defender :)

After listening to the interview yesterday I definately believe Fonte. He was our captain, our leader. He never wanted to leave. The board at the time made a big mistake in the events that happened. Jose clearly still misses the club as evident in his voice when speaking to Adam Blackmore. Top top defender :)

So why did he?

I think he came back from winning the Euros, with Mendes as his agent, hoping he’d be able to get one last, decent contract for two years. Saints were happy to give him an extra year, which would have taken him halfway to his 35th birthday but anything beyond that starts getting risky with injuries and performance. After negotiations stalled over this, an offer came in from West Ham which met both Fonte’s demands of a two year deal and what we would consider a reasonable asking price. With 6 months left to run and little fear of relegation, we decided to accept, pocket the £8m and move on.

None of that is unreasonable from either party. Not having a replacement sorted was stupid on our part and Fonte has acted a bit of a plank with his varying versions of events in the media. If he had just said, "I’m getting on and I want a two year contract to secure my family’s future," everything would probably have been less of a mess.

So why did he?

I think he came back from winning the Euros, with Mendes as his agent, hoping he’d be able to get one last, decent contract for two years. Saints were happy to give him an extra year, which would have taken him halfway to his 35th birthday but anything beyond that starts getting risky with injuries and performance. After negotiations stalled over this, an offer came in from West Ham which met both Fonte’s demands of a two year deal and what we would consider a reasonable asking price. With 6 months left to run and little fear of relegation, we decided to accept, pocket the £8m and move on.

None of that is unreasonable from either party. Not having a replacement sorted was stupid on our part and Fonte has acted a bit of a plank with his varying versions of events in the media. If he had just said, "I’m getting on and I want a two year contract to secure my family’s future," everything would probably have been less of a mess.

Would you continue to work for someone who was spreading false rumours about you and told you that he wanted you to find a job elsewhere? You'd have to be pretty desperate for your wage packet to stay under those conditions and say , 'Yes sir, three bags full, sir, anything else you want, sir?' Fonte hasn't given varying versions of events; he's simply told the truth.

Would you continue to work for someone who was spreading false rumours about you and told you that he wanted you to find a job elsewhere? You'd have to be pretty desperate for your wage packet to stay under those conditions and say , 'Yes sir, three bags full, sir, anything else you want, sir?' Fonte hasn't given varying versions of events; he's simply told the truth.

So you're saying he uprooted his life and moved away from the club and the area against his will AND took a pay cut, because a couple of Echo articles and internet weirdos were saying he was aggravating for a new contract? If that's true I mean genuinely, wow! Everyone thought Les was a bumbling idiot and here he is running the club like some sort of Mafiosi, driving his enemies out of town with the Twitter equivalent of a horses head in the bed. I wish he was still here. He could say Carillo supports Pompey, Lemina eats raw bats and Elyonoussi was responsible for the Bhopal chemical disaster. They'd be gone within a week.

Look, I liked Fonte as a player and a captain and I'm certainly no fan of Reed but his versions of events don't add up; and they are differing versions. He said at the time he/his family wanted to be nearer other family in London. Now he's saying he didn't want to leave and was forced out. Those two stories are mutually exclusive.

So you're saying he uprooted his life and moved away from the club and the area against his will AND took a pay cut, because a couple of Echo articles and internet weirdos were saying he was aggravating for a new contract? If that's true I mean genuinely, wow! Everyone thought Les was a bumbling idiot and here he is running the club like some sort of Mafiosi, driving his enemies out of town with the Twitter equivalent of a horses head in the bed. I wish he was still here. He could say Carillo supports Pompey, Lemina eats raw bats and Elyonoussi was responsible for the Bhopal chemical disaster. They'd be gone within a week.

Look, I liked Fonte as a player and a captain and I'm certainly no fan of Reed but his versions of events don't add up; and they are differing versions. He said at the time he/his family wanted to be nearer other family in London. Now he's saying he didn't want to leave and was forced out. Those two stories are mutually exclusive.

It is interesting to see the internet portrays Reed exactly as you say, either a bumbling clueless idiot or a power crazed, evil scheming vindictive narcissist, he can’t be both.

No, I didn't say that : you did, and what a weird thing to say.

No wonder you are incapable of understanding anything when everybody else who heard the interview had no problem with it.

No, I didn't say that : you did, and what a weird thing to say.

No wonder you are incapable of understanding anything when everybody else who heard the interview had no problem with it.

Okay, so what exactly does this 'spreading rumours' entail which is so difficult for a player to live with? Fonte, his family and friends would obviously stick by him and not believe such 'rumours'. Probably most of the dressing room too, not that they'd care as they've all got their own agents badgering for better deals themselves. If he's not worried about paper talk and social media then who does that leave? Who is out there, believing all of Reed's scandalous lies and making Fonte's life so difficult that he was forced to leave the club?

I liked Fonte but let's not forget that at the end of his time here his form had dropped substantially and it continued at West Ham. He was a great servant to saints and a great captain and how it ended was very sad but as a player his legs were going.

I liked Fonte but let's not forget that at the end of his time here his form had dropped substantially and it continued at West Ham. He was a great servant to saints and a great captain and how it ended was very sad but as a player his legs were going.

But still possibly as good as if not better than some of those who've followed since, especially if you factor in his influence in terms of leadership and organisation at the back. We'll never know, but its possible that Stephens might have been a better player alongside someone with Fonte's experience than those he's been paired up with.

But still possibly as good as if not better than some of those who've followed since, especially if you factor in his influence in terms of leadership and organisation at the back. We'll never know, but its possible that Stephens might have been a better player alongside someone with Fonte's experience than those he's been paired up with.

I don't think any of our current central defenders would be good enough to get into this team:

https://www.unibet.co.uk/blog/football/ligue-1/ligue-1-team-of-the-season-201819-lille-dominate-after-brilliant-campaign-1.1186298

I don't think any of our current central defenders would be good enough to get into this team:

https://www.unibet.co.uk/blog/football/ligue-1/ligue-1-team-of-the-season-201819-lille-dominate-after-brilliant-campaign-1.1186298

I accept that, but similarly with the exception of PSG how may of the Ligue 1 teams Lille face are of EPL standard ?

Point remains though that I think we'd have been better off with Fonte's influence over the last few years than we have been without it.

This is known as invoking the Alan Ball mechanism. Nothing worked out as I expected because I wasn't as good as I thought I was. So let's pretend I was forced out against my will and honestly I wanted to stay but the horrible club didn't want me no more. Utterly laughable.

Fair point, it may have been Reed, it may not. Either way Reed doesn’t out of it very well. He’s either shamefully treated a good and loyal player forcing him out and not replacing him or let a good player leave and not replaced him. Personally I think Fonte had some interest that summer, then with players around him getting bigger contracts too he wanted one, which is arguably fair enough given he was captain and an important player. Reed refused, they feel out, no one supported him so he left. It’s a real shame he left, had he stayed he may have been only the second captain to lift a major trophy. He didn’t have to leave though, as others have said we can’t force Carrillo, Lemina and other mugs to leave and Reed doesn’t pick the team, so that’s where the flaw in his version is.

Exactly.

There was reported interest from Man Utd of course, although whether true or planted by his agent to up the ante on the contract negotiations we'll never know. It did however seem that his head had been turned by the rumours and success at Euros.

After the window closed though he appeared shoddily treated, surely he deserved a run out in the Europa League having risen with the club from League One ? But, no. There were also reports of his conduct regarding Puel. In fact didn't Adam Blackmore and Dave Merrington even comment on this at one point from a warm up where he appeared to be laughing at Puel or ignoring him ?

That wasn't the move of someone looking to remain at the club in my view.

Spot on.

The stuff coming out of the club may not of been 100% the truth, but neither is Fonte’s version imo. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

This is as I see it, although when faced with an issue Reed always seemed keen on the easy option and show it the door to go away rather than address it and negotiate a satisfactory conclusion. This was the same really as the Koeman situation. Twice in one year Reed seemed intent to 'standing his ground' no matter what the damage was or alternative available (Puel, and no CB. Although he didn't foresee VD's injury coming, still stupid and reckless to allow JF to leave without the replacement signed)

Although much of the blame rests with the club, I don't think Fonte is entirely without blemish in this episode. Shame that his end at the club was tarnished in this way as he'd been a fantastic player in our rise up the leagues.

In hindsight it certainly seems it was the wrong decision to let Jose leave when he did, as weve missed his leadership and he has proven he had a few years left in him.

I happened to have lunch with some of the directors shortly before he left, and I was told the following... his attitude when he returned as a Euro winner had changed, as he was aware of interest from other clubs (Man Utd being muted at the time) and he was after a larger contract (which I think was fair enough on his part, given his stock had grown, last big contract, etc.)

But we had what the club felt was a very decent offer from West Ham on the table, and the biggest factor in allowing him to move was that apparently on the sports science side of things, all of his charts were on the descent and the club felt that taking £8m+ for a 33 year old was the right thing to do with all factors considered.

I'd have probably made the same call as the club at the time, but hindsight says otherwise.

At the time I too agreed that £8M was a very good price for him and his long-term worth was reflective in that he went to West Ham rather than Man Utd and moved on quickly. Unfortunately Virgil got injured and we took a step backwards. With either of those two perhaps we might have won the League Cup. Time has shown we have still failed to replace him and although the pace is not the same in France I find myself wondering if he would come back as a coach. At our low moments I wonder maybe HCDAJFU as a player still.

As others have said, did he try and engineer a better deal at potentially another club? Yes - that's why you hire Jorge Mendes.

Was he forced out? Well, he didn't play a single minute of European competition, what do you think?

The truth is usually found somewhere in the middle when there are two opposing versions of events. Anyway, water under the bridge and I'd be happy to see him return sooner or later.

In hindsight it certainly seems it was the wrong decision to let Jose leave when he did, as weve missed his leadership and he has proven he had a few years left in him.

I happened to have lunch with some of the directors shortly before he left, and I was told the following... his attitude when he returned as a Euro winner had changed, as he was aware of interest from other clubs (Man Utd being muted at the time) and he was after a larger contract (which I think was fair enough on his part, given his stock had grown, last big contract, etc.)

But we had what the club felt was a very decent offer from West Ham on the table, and the biggest factor in allowing him to move was that apparently on the sports science side of things, all of his charts were on the descent and the club felt that taking £8m+ for a 33 year old was the right thing to do with all factors considered.

I'd have probably made the same call as the club at the time, but hindsight says otherwise.

Hardly. He really wasn't great at West Ham and he'd never be playing like he does now in the Premier League aged 36. Much the same as when Tadic left, he'd never have scored 30 goals a season if he'd stayed.

At the time I too agreed that £8M was a very good price for him and his long-term worth was reflective in that he went to West Ham rather than Man Utd and moved on quickly. Unfortunately Virgil got injured and we took a step backwards. With either of those two perhaps we might have won the League Cup. Time has shown we have still failed to replace him and although the pace is not the same in France I find myself wondering if he would come back as a coach. At our low moments I wonder maybe HCDAJFU as a player still.

As others have said, did he try and engineer a better deal at potentially another club? Yes - that's why you hire Jorge Mendes.

Was he forced out? Well, he didn't play a single minute of European competition, what do you think?

The truth is usually found somewhere in the middle when there are two opposing versions of events. Anyway, water under the bridge and I'd be happy to see him return sooner or later.

Because he was 33, which is too old to be playing every game. The League was our priority so he played that, whilst others got a run out in Europe.

How much proof do the Reedists still need that he actively used press stories to discredit players and managers and push his agenda. The man hamstrung the club's potential at potentially the most pivotal time in our history.

He should be more hated than Lowe for me. At least Lowe transformed the stadium and youth setup. Reed robbed all of us (and future generations) of reaching our potential, dismantled the fan's bond with the players, and saddled us with a journeyman squad and horrendous finances.

I loved Fonte and he really could have been a Saints legend. I seem to remember him being 'linked' with Man United. I interpreted that rightly or wrongly that his agent was touting him around.

How much proof do the Reedists still need that he actively used press stories to discredit players and managers and push his agenda. The man hamstrung the club's potential at potentially the most pivotal time in our history.

He should be more hated than Lowe for me. At least Lowe transformed the stadium and youth setup. Reed robbed all of us (and future generations) of reaching our potential, dismantled the fan's bond with the players, and saddled us with a journeyman squad and horrendous finances.

“Reed robbed us of reaching our potential”

When Reed was here we had back to promotions, finished top 8 three times in a row, two European campaign and got to a major cup final. That period in our history is probably only bettered than 76-85. How did he “rob of us of potential”?

I’m not sure that you are “Reedist” to have a balanced point of view. It wasn’t all bad under Reed, in fact we had some of our best years when he was here and he should take some credit. As for Fonte, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle and I doubt if him and us agent were completely blameless for the way the situation played out.

Hardly. He really wasn't great at West Ham and he'd never be playing like he does now in the Premier League aged 36. Much the same as when Tadic left, he'd never have scored 30 goals a season if he'd stayed.

I agree in part, but I think he could have added value in the dressing room with his leadership and I've no doubt he'd have helped with the transition of bringing through the younger CB's we have playing now. I'm sure alongside a younger CB in some games we would have seen better results.

Of course he was forced out. Reed wanted/needed to build the club around van Dijk, make him captain etc, and Jose was in the way. Turned out well, didn't it. Reed was a total arse. Not that I think Fonte was that great, or at least would be for much longer. But it was disgraceful how he was treated.

I agree in part, but I think he could have added value in the dressing room with his leadership and I've no doubt he'd have helped with the transition of bringing through the younger CB's we have playing now. I'm sure alongside a younger CB in some games we would have seen better results.

I'd disagree there. We had plenty of experience in the likes of Virgil, Yoshida, Bertrand and Cedric after Fonte left. There is no magic formula he could have passed on, the players we recruited were simply not good enough. I think had he stayed and played, we'd have create another 04/05 situation with Lundekvam playing along side Davenport, Kenton and Higgy. Those players never looked like they were benefiting from Claus' experience. He looked past it and off the pace, the others just were never good enough.

Of course he was forced out. Reed wanted/needed to build the club around van Dijk, make him captain etc, and Jose was in the way. Turned out well, didn't it. Reed was a total arse. Not that I think Fonte was that great, or at least would be for much longer. But it was disgraceful how he was treated.

I've still yet to see one person explain how that's possible.