Premier Football to restart?

Weston Saint

Have we had the death count from yesterday’s games in Germany? No doubt the authorities will be covering up as being paid off by BT

I'm not sure why'd you'd expect that sort of information to be available less than 24 hours after the games.

More in general, in Germany the r rate has ticked up with the easing of the lockdown there. That will cost lives. Whether it will cost more lives than keeping the economy closed would have is the calculation they're having to make.

Also re: next season...while the premier will clearly go ahead behind closed doors, what of the other leagues? They can't all afford the amount of testing and prep needed for that. Yet they can't all keep running without playing. Yet they can't all keep running without match day revenue!

So are we going to see a lot of clubs disappear???

The vaccine may save us and them

Haven't read the thread, so not sure if mentioned, but as a spectacle, would Saints games at Staplewood be better on TV than at SMS? Stadia with banks of empty seats is such a bad look. It can't be worse than Staplewood can it?

Haven't read the thread, so not sure if mentioned, but as a spectacle, would Saints games at Staplewood be better on TV than at SMS? Stadia with banks of empty seats is such a bad look. It can't be worse than Staplewood can it?

Why would empty seats be a "bad look"? The entire world knows why the seats are empty.

I guess the issue is the TV camera positions. St Mary's is set up for it. Whilst Staplewood has some for the u18 and u23 games, I doubt they have the whole setup that sky etc would want for broadcast.

Also re: next season...while the premier will clearly go ahead behind closed doors, what of the other leagues? They can't all afford the amount of testing and prep needed for that. Yet they can't all keep running without playing. Yet they can't all keep running without match day revenue!

So are we going to see a lot of clubs disappear???

Personally I would write off the rest of this season but I can see a reason for trying some games this season behind closed doors. It would be a dry run to see if there is any commercial appetite for the product on offer. I don’t think I would pay to watch any of it myself.

Those dolls seem to have understood social distancing far better than half the muppets in this country. I suppose when your mouth’s open all the time you’re more likely to catch Covid 19.

Have they mentioned what the knock on for next season will be? Presumably there is no way the new season would be able to start mid-August but, if things have settled down in 12 months they cant go on much more than mid May due to Euro 21.

Why would empty seats be a "bad look"? The entire world knows why the seats are empty.

It's my opinion (if that's OK with you?). Looks **** and the sound/echo is dire.

Guess I also didn't take into account goal line tech and VAR at Staplewood.

Have they mentioned what the knock on for next season will be? Presumably there is no way the new season would be able to start mid-August but, if things have settled down in 12 months they cant go on much more than mid May due to Euro 21.

Sack off the League Cup for a start, that will allow for more midweek league games. No FA Cup replays either. The main need for those is that the smaller clubs get a money spinning replay but if it's all behind closed doors that's less necessary.

Sack off the League Cup for a start, that will allow for more midweek league games. No FA Cup replays either. The main need for those is that the smaller clubs get a money spinning replay but if it's all behind closed doors that's less necessary.

I’ve never liked cup replays anyway. Every couple of years you’ll get some League 2 high flyer earn a second go at Chelsea or Man Utd’s reserves but for the other hundred and whatever clubs they’re just a pain in the backside.

Every cup tie should be 90 mins, then penalties. Extra time is a load of b*llocks too.

Article in the paper today: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/18/premier-league-will-be-allowed-to-ride-shotgun-into-unknown-frontier

This is the bit that struck me:

The Bundesliga may have returned successfully last weekend, but there are good reasons for this. Germany has a quarter of the UK death toll to date. Germany has six times fewer new cases of Covid-19 diagnosed every day. Germany has a mature, competent leadership with a clear and transparent plan."

Wonder how many more issues like this before they go back to the drawing board.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52721397

If enough players don’t want to take the risk it obviously won’t go ahead but Watford and The Premier League can crack on fine without one or two players. Deeney is right not to risk his kid, he would be better off staying away from either football or his kid for a month IMO.

If enough players don’t want to take the risk it obviously won’t go ahead but Watford and The Premier League can crack on fine without one or two players. Deeney is right not to risk his kid, he would be better off staying away from either football or his kid for a month IMO.

Well by doing this, Deeney is effectively retiring as a footballer until a vaccine is found.

Not sure Watford can afford to continue paying him on these grounds unless some sort of assurance exists.

And the Premier League results are in.

Tests: 768

Positive for Covid: 6

Clubs impacted: 3

So if you take those ratios and extrapolate them to the UK's population that would give you a bit over 500K cases in all.

Although most of these cases don't take the tube or the bus or shop at Tesco's so they may be a protected group and the real number of cases becomes much higher.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Good for him.

As far as the BAME susceptibility is concerned it's a known fact, don't know why they need another investigation into it.

The Neanderthals and Denisovans didn't go to Africa or the India subcontinent so in those regions their genome is lacking certain virus resistance that Europeans and Eurasians obtained from them.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06940-x

Edited by Window Cleaner

So if you take those ratios and extrapolate them to the UK's population that would give you a bit over 500K cases in all.

Although most of these cases don't take the tube or the bus or shop at Tesco's so they may be a protected group and the real number of cases becomes much higher.

Possibly even more, as the test used is only 98.8% accurate. Therefore, 1 in every 100 (7 in this case) of those who showed negative could also have the virus.

Then again, many in the group that was tested do fall into the 'let's all meet up for a party and a gangbang category' which is probably a bit riskier than the 'shopping at Tesco' or 'catch a bus' brigade.

Or maybe just look at a properly designed survey based on a larger sample:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/england14may2020

I see Ian Woan has tested positive -always remember him turning it on for Forest against us.

Possibly even more, as the test used is only 98.8% accurate. Therefore, 1 in every 100 (7 in this case) of those who showed negative could also have the virus.

Then again, many in the group that was tested do fall into the 'let's all meet up for a party and a gangbang category' which is probably a bit riskier than the 'shopping at Tesco' or 'catch a bus' brigade.

Inaccuracy works both ways, some (in fact all, at that rate of inaacuracy) of those could be false positives. Presumably they will be retested.