Pellegrino Sacked - Official

Katalinic

Although I agree that Hughes isn't necessarily a long ball merchant, his Stoke side were one of the dirtiest to watch when things weren't going their way. I remember a couple of occasions (at least) where we had the better of them and it looked like the instructions from him at HT were "go out and kick lumps out of them".

Some people might like that, maybe for the last 8 games we might need it, but it's not something that I would enjoy longer term. (And there's a difference between showing some aggression and being dirty).

He's also a pretty dour man, don't like him much at all. But others have said, it will be an improvement on Pellegrino.

I realyl don't think we need much, just a manager who encourages the side to go out and try and win the game. We have the players, despite how frustrating they are at times. We have had a manager all season who is scared to try and win the game, we don't need Pep Guardiola to be able to improve on that. Any other season I would not want Mark Hughes, but considering the situation we find ourselves in, I would be satisfied with his arrival. I saw someone say on Twitter that Hughes only knows how to sign 6 foot 5 players to suit his style. I must be thinking of a different Mark Hughes than the one who signed Shaqiri, Bojan, Jesé, Afellay, Van Ginkel, Joe Allen, all in the name of trying to implement a more cultured brand of football than what Stoke had previously been known for. He isn't some lump-it-long Pulis type, he has attracted some pretty decorated players who have played for some huge football clubs, but haven't quite lived up to expectations. In some ways, his transfer dealings are rather similar to our own, and it's probably no coincidence that half the players we have signed have been linked to Stoke at some point (Cedric comes to mind, in particular). He's probably not a bad fit, in reality, just not particularly fashionable. I think we need to just appreciate the fact that we won't have Pellegrino in charge anymore, his replacement is not particularly important to me, personally.
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/transfer_talk/164241/top-xi-worst-signings-of-mark-hughes-managerial-career.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hughes

Where do I stand? I'll tell you where I stand, I've looked again at the Reed pre-signing publicity, Pellegrino would bring "exciting, attacking football, taking the game to our opponents by playing a high intensity game. After the sterile way Puel played that was the change I wanted.

What I got on day 1 to day 263 was a sterile, timid mess. If it had been a new car it wouldn't have got out of the showroom. It didn't even remotely deliver what was on the box. It showed up in spades on day one and shuffled the pack every match with the same one striker five slow midfielder template. He should have been taken to one side on day one and told to produce the promise in the next match or prepare to pack his bags. If we got more of the same he should have been sacked. This present nonsense wouldn't have arisen.

By the end of the season, Reed, Krueger and anybody else part of that debacle should pay the price.

You have lauded his appointment this whole thread.

It looks to me that Hypo is "lauding" his appointment purely in comparison to Pelligrino. I'm sure if you asked Hypo to come up with his top ten ideal candidates, then Hughes would struggle to make his list. The fact is, we're not in a position where we can hire an ideal candidate, therefore Hughes could be the best option at this moment in time.... given the position we find ourselves in here and now.

Before you call people a cretin, you ought to think how you have come across in this. You have lauded his appointment this whole thread.
"lauded his appointment?" utter rubbish. I've said I think he's a solid appointment under the circumstances if he is who we go for and I think people expressing utter disappointment and deflation are being totally unrealistic and failing to understand the predicament we are in.

QPR were in the Premier League at the time. The point with Pellegrino is we can all cherry-pick when someone was good. Stoke finished on 44 points last season, and he had an awful record this season. Nothing to encourage me there.

Absolutely not, what makes you say that? I'm just saying Hughes would not be a good appointment (imho). He won't take a short contract (I wouldn't have thought), so we'll be stuck with him for years to come - whether that's in the Prem or the Championship.

Average tenure of a Prem Manager is about 1.3 years. So no, we won't be, and if we are it's because we want to be, which would probably only be because he was successful.

I didn't say they were all good signings... just that there were similarities in his methods at Stoke, to how we like to operate. Young stars who have gone stale at big clubs.

Also regarding above, I have been bemoaning for years that we are too nice, we get bullied all over the pitch and players get away with murder against us. I don't recall us having a red card all season, which is great of course, but I don't recall us even getting away with a near miss or anything close, we never stamp our authority on a game at the moment. I don't want us to be dirty, but i'd like us to be able to if it's needed.

"lauded his appointment?" utter rubbish. I've said I think he's a solid appointment under the circumstances if he is who we go for and I think people expressing utter disappointment and deflation are being totally unrealistic and failing to understand the predicament we are in.

Spot on, but as you've said, he would prefer Kelvin Davis which just destroys any credibility to his argument :lol:

The club should have pulled the trigger 4 months ago, when we would have had the chance to replace him with someone decent.

It looks to me that Hypo is "lauding" his appointment purely in comparison to Pelligrino. I'm sure if you asked Hypo to come up with his top ten ideal candidates, then Hughes would struggle to make his list. The fact is, we're not in a position where we can hire an ideal candidate, therefore Hughes could be the best option at this moment in time.... given the position we find ourselves in here and now.

Or in layman's terms '....beggars can't be choosers...' ;)

Thanks trousers. I would have thought that was obvious. The difference is I said I'd welcome us trying to get out of this hole we have dug by firing the manager and appointing someone. We are finally doing that so I am happy even if it doesn't work out and we go down. For the reasons I've already said, Hughes would be a pretty good appointment for us given the circumstances.

Because we left it so f king late we are now in a difficult situation as we are caught between a long term appointment and a short term appointment to keep us up. I think we will struggle to get someone only on a short term contract - therefore we'll be like Everton, getting someone in on a long contract thats not right for the long term but will hopefully keep us up - then do we keep them into next season and go through the same process or does Les have the bulls to sack them in the summer and bring in the right long term appointment. I dont think any good long term appointees will want to join us now, but if they did do we appoint someone with no Premier league experience which might take us down and then stick with them in the championship. All because Reed has lost control of the situation

If its a no lose gamble then Johnson at Bristol City or Hurst at Shrewsbury would be my choice. Keep them employed relegation or not. Then let them build for the future.

Whatever happens, it is my view we need quite a big clear out in the summer.

Ive seen Hughes a number of times at Mottram Hall where he plays golf. Nobody there has a good word for him. Rude, arrogant & generally unpleasant.

He used to annoy the hell out of me in his post match interviews too. It was always somebody elses fault. Never his responsibility.

As has been said before, weve left it very late, we should have fired MP earlier. That would have given us more choice.

Spot on, but as you've said, he would prefer Kelvin Davis which just destroys any credibility to his argument :lol:

The club should have pulled the trigger 4 months ago, when we would have had the chance to replace him with someone decent.

Well if you set your standards as low as Mark Frigging Hughes it shows you aint that smart either. You are right that the club should have changed months ago. Look at the resume of Hughes I pasted above. Not much to set the heart pumping.

If he comes then I will back him as I have no choice but I don't expect any real uplift

Not sure why people are suggesting managers who are in jobs. Anyone we get now will be out of work and ready to step in.

People like Rogers or Jovanovic @ Fulham are not going to walk away from their clubs with just weeks left.

IMO there are only 3 people it could be, so be prepared for it to be one of these -

Hughes

Bilic

Silva

Although I agree that Hughes isn't necessarily a long ball merchant, his Stoke side were one of the dirtiest to watch when things weren't going their way. I remember a couple of occasions (at least) where we had the better of them and it looked like the instructions from him at HT were "go out and kick lumps out of them".

Some people might like that, maybe for the last 8 games we might need it, but it's not something that I would enjoy longer term. (And there's a difference between showing some aggression and being dirty).

He's also a pretty dour man, don't like him much at all. But others have said, it will be an improvement on Pellegrino.

I agree he’s dour. He also comes across as pretty uninterested and withdrawn - the opposite of the image people have of him. Stoke allowed Hughes to spend a shed load and Stoke got very little in return as Hughess tried to marry a bunch of showponies with the residue of Pullis agricultural squad, a combo that he was ultimately unable to discipline or control. Not sure he has the spark or man management skills to motivate our squad in the short-term, though he may be more effective longer term. He’s a massive risk but obviously better than Pellegrino.

Edited by shurlock

Well if you set your standards as low as Mark Frigging Hughes it shows you aint that smart either. You are right that the club should have changed months ago. Look at the resume of Hughes I pasted above. Not much to set the heart pumping.

If he comes then I will back him as I have no choice but I don't expect any real uplift

Hughes is on a different planet if the choice is Mark Hughes or Kelvin Davis to manage saints. You're just making yourself look a bit silly and out of touch.

Are you okay, Nick? Looks like that old age is getting to your head.

No one, literally no one has suggested that Hughes would be their first choice - as a few have pointed out we realistically have 3 options; Silva, Bilic or Hughes (for me, of those 3, Hughes would be my final choice but all 3 would do enough to keep us up).

We are 17th, and in great danger of relegation - no top manager will touch us at this stage. It's not setting standards as low as Hughes (although if you would prefer Kelv, your standards are 100 times lower...), it's being realistic of who we can attract.

Thanks trousers. I would have thought that was obvious. The difference is I said I'd welcome us trying to get out of this hole we have dug by firing the manager and appointing someone. We are finally doing that so I am happy even if it doesn't work out and we go down. For the reasons I've already said, Hughes would be a pretty good appointment for us given the circumstances.

I think that this is an important point and shouldn't be lost on too many fans. Whoever comes in now needs full support no matter what happens from here on in. We are at the business end of the season and we are all hoping that Hughes (or whoever) can do for us what the new guy at Swansea did - but it may not work out like that. I'm hoping that if it is Hughes he is driven by wanting to show his last employers that they were wrong to offload.

Just had an update from Stoke.

Hughes has a house/apartment in London & would work from there.

Lost the dressing room in the summer as Stoke created a transfer committee & signed players he didn't necessarily want. Man management skills also questioned.

Doesn't feel like a good fit to me.

Just had an update from Stoke.

Hughes has a house/apartment in London & would work from there.

Lost the dressing room in the summer as Stoke created a transfer committee & signed players he didn't necessarily want. Man management skills also questioned.

Doesn't feel like a good fit to me.

Commuting to work like that is always a warning sign for me.

On TM says Mark Hughes points per game is 1.40. Compared to MoPe's 1.52. So maybe not the best choice!! Just for comparison Slaven Billic 1.70, Marco Silva 1.79 or alternative Louis Enrique 2.03, Laurent Blanc 2.68 per game. Hughes also prefers a 4-3-2-1 formation! Back to one up front!

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

Hughes has had some poor seasons and some decent season in the prem. He is experienced, British and knows the league. We need someone for 8 games minimum who can keep us up. Given our position right now, the fact we need someone in quickly, the fact we need someone who can command a bit of respect and how unnatractive we would be to higher profile candidates at this stage, Hughes would be one of the best realistic candidates available. If he can get us into similar form that saw Stoke finish top ten for three season in a row--no reason why not--then I'm happy to give him a chance.

We could have not sacked pellegrino this week and waited till the end of the season and Hughes as manager for the last 8 games is vastly preferable, particularly if he manages to keep us up.

What's British got to do with anything? I don't give a **** if he's British, Chinese or ****ing Martian as long as they have the requisite experience and 'bump' to keep us up.

Why you say why can't he get us into the form that he had Stoke in for top 10 - you're saying why can't Hughes repeat some of his best ever seasons? In this position you don't plan on upside, you plan on floor. His floor is ****ing low. It's why people tend to go for Allardyce/Pulis etc as in general they have quite a high floor, but very little upside.

Hughes last two seasons at Stoke have been pretty bad - that's what I'm planning on.

What's British got to do with anything? I don't give a **** if he's British, Chinese or ****ing Martian as long as they have the requisite experience and 'bump' to keep us up.

Why you say why can't he get us into the form that he had Stoke in for top 10 - you're saying why can't Hughes repeat some of his best ever seasons? In this position you don't plan on upside, you plan on floor. His floor is ****ing low. It's why people tend to go for Allardyce/Pulis etc as in general they have quite a high floor, but very little upside.

Hughes last two seasons at Stoke have been pretty bad - that's what I'm planning on.

Because the fact he is British means he will be able to communicate his ideas effectively. Its not the sole preserve of British people but it can't hurt.

The rest of your post makes little sense. Most sane people are fully aware of what I was saying - see trouser's posts for details.

Because the fact he is British means he will be able to communicate his ideas effectively. Its not the sole preserve of British people but it can't hurt.

The rest of your post makes little sense. Most sane people are fully aware of what I was saying - see trouser's posts for details.

What, to a multinational team? I bet SAF would have been difficult to understand at times to multinational players, so why's it matter?

In relation to the rest of my post I assume you don't understand the concepts of 'floor' and 'upside' then?

You've only got to look at what Carvalhal has done at Swansea, he struggled at Sheff Wednesday but was given another chance and is slowly turning things around. I'm not inspired by Hughes but we are in a desperate position and believe he will definitely ruffle a few feathers which is required with this set of players.

I’m still basking in the afterglow of the club’s decision to do the obvious and sack Pellegrino. I woke up with a smile on my face, which remained when I realized that for exactly the first night in a row my family cat opted not to smear cat **** all over the main floor of my house while we were sleeping.

I wish they sacked him earlier, after the Leicester game. If we go down, it will be a huge regret. With a better manager already bedded in, we may have enjoyed a better January transfer window than the one that saw Les have his pants pulled down by Monaco for Carrillo.

I assume the club will as always go for someone who is presently unemployed. Hughes is not my first choice but he’s significantly better than Pellegrino and we’d stand a chance with him. It was odd that he was not even under consideration for W.Brom according to the news reports, as Pardew’s struggles continue. I’m not sure how a squad that according to some fell out with Puel, will respond to Hughes’ laconic, dour personality.

I think Silva gives us the best shot at survival - if he starts off strong and burns out like he did at Hull or Watford, we may well be already safe and that is my only priority, but I will have no difficulty getting behind Hughes, because he’s better than Pellegrino and he gives us a chance.

The weird thing is the idea that club are searching for a long term replacement when we seem to be in such a **** poor position to recruit. I imagine that anyone thinking of taking the job is well aware that with only eight games to save us they could well be managing us in the Championship next season not sure Hughes, Silva or Rodgers ego would cope with that.

F**k me.....Mark f****** HUghes. We lurch from one terrible appointment to another.

Hughes would be nothing short of a major disaster for our club. Horrible man, horrible tactics and I can never forgive him after he 'played' for Saints under Dave Jones and was the biggest mercenary and Billy Big ****** to play for Saints.

No redeeming features in him as a manager and he stuffed both QPR and Stoke.

If he is appointed we are completely stuffed as a club and don;t think for one moment any of our youth players or flair players will ever get a chance under this dinosaur.

The weird thing is the idea that club are searching for a long term replacement when we seem to be in such a **** poor position to recruit. I imagine that anyone thinking of taking the job is well aware that with only eight games to save us they could well be managing us in the Championship next season not sure Hughes, Silva or Rodgers ego would cope with that.

This is Hughes last chance at a Premier League job without being promoted with a Championship team (imho), so not sure about that.

F**k me.....Mark f****** HUghes. We lurch from one terrible appointment to another.

Hughes would be nothing short of a major disaster for our club. Horrible man, horrible tactics and I can never forgive him after he 'played' for Saints under Dave Jones and was the biggest mercenary and Billy Big ****** to play for Saints.

If he is appointed we are completely stuffed as a club and don;t think for one moment any of our youth players or flair players will ever get a chance under this dinosaur.

Flair players might, he likes a flair player (Bojan/Arnautovic/Shaqiri).

Issue is he can't coach a defence and doesn't play tactics that suit flair players. It's a very odd management style.

Probably should have stayed with pellegrino then.

This is Hughes last chance at a Premier League job without being promoted with a Championship team (imho), so not sure about that.

Nah lower middle table sides are always prepared to bringing in managers like him to save their season. There are a number of PL experienced but average managers that just get recycled among the lower part of the PL.

I'm taking it that's a 'no' from you then?

Nah lower middle table sides are always prepared to bringing in managers like him to save their season. There are a number of PL experienced but average managers that just get recycled among the lower part of the PL.

I think after Pards takes West Brom down, Allardyce nearly takes Everton down, Lambert takes Stoke down and Hughes takes us down that may change...