Brighton 0 Saints 1 - Post Match Celebrations

St Chalet

yes but I'm told the most amazing thing is we've recovered without a single goal this year from a forward. Is that really true?

Depends if you give Long the goal at Leicester, or if you call it an OG by the keeper. Also depends if you call Long a forward, or a "Run around a bit" !

Good gritty team performance today!

This gives us more of a free hit next Friday against Liverpool now. Would LOVE it if we could put the mockers on their title bid!

Aargh, glad you wrote that as I hadn't realised it had been changed. I'd better start changing my social arrangements...

Fantastic win. Got some luck that we deserved. Were by far the better team for 70 minutes. We look so much better going forward than backward though. Couldn't string three passes together in the last 20 minutes. Was steadying myself for a late equaliser that thankfully never came. Armstrong our best player, Redmond class again, great finish and industry from Hoj, Yoshida strong...some wobbly performances elsewhere...Valery off the pace, Ings too, even Bednarek had some miscues...Gallagher a liability, could have cost us the game at the end with a crazy giveaway and looked exhausted after 15 mins.

We still look vulnerable in the last 10 minutes defending a lead.

Still, I think we got the points we deserved.

Iffy performance, great result, happy days. :)

If Cardiff bomb tomorrow, then I will start working out what permutations we need.. feels like counting chickens until then.

Huge game and we came through. I also think that Ralph will have to turn full used car salesman in the summer in order to shift the subs + deadwood.

I don't know about the rest of you, but i'm going to commence drinking.

200.gif

Please keep Ralph H.

Please keep Ralph H.

Please keep Ralph H.

agree with all of that

we seriously need some pace and power in this team

One of Ralph's first priorities will be to assess during pre-season whether some of that is currently out on loan - no transfer budget needed.

He has already turned around several careers (JWP, Redmond, Sims and even Romeu after his poor last year).

Even if he just improves them to sell them it's progress.

If Cardiff bomb tomorrow, then I will start working out what permutations we need.. feels like counting chickens until then.

Huge game and we came through. I also think that Ralph will have to turn full used car salesman in the summer in order to shift the subs + deadwood.

200.gif

We were 20/1 to go down before that win. Don’t worry about permutations

My worry is that the clueless people we have in charge will think what we have is good enough for next season (if we stay up & we aren't safe yet) with no new players! As their priority is just survival & nothing else they will invest as little as humanly possible

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

My worry is that the clueless people we have in charge will think what we have is good enough for next season (if we stay up & we aren't safe yet) with no new players! As their priority is just survival & nothing else they will invest as little as humanly possible

Under Hasenhuttl Saints are averaging enough points per game for a top 8 finish over a 38 game season. Suggests the player quality wasn't the problem... it was the poor management choices of Pellegrino & Hughes. Of course I'd like Saints to spend in the summer but the squad is not as bad as many like to make out.

Under Hasenhuttl Saints are averaging enough points per game for a top 8 finish over a 38 game season. Suggests the player quality wasn't the problem... it was the poor management choices of Pellegrino & Hughes. Of course I'd like Saints to spend in the summer but the squad is not as bad as many like to make out.

I do agree to a certain extent but you have to agree our striking choices are very limited

Double post for some reason.

Clear out the deadwood and invest in some quality, especially going forward and centre back, and I think we could be back to challenging for the best of the rest next year.

Edited by tajjuk

I do agree to a certain extent but you have to agree our striking choices are very limited

Yep, can’t trust Ings to stay fit (or Obafemi for that matter). Long, Austin, Gallagher doesn’t really inspire confidence. Top priority is a goal scoring striker this off-season.

Not to nitpick but you need to make your mind up. Your previous post says that this team is one of the worst in our history, now you are agreeing that, with Ralph, this side is good enough for a top 8 finish, albeit with a better striker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A dour match lacking much entertainment value, but ultimately what is important was the three points and the clean sheet. It was doubly important because Burnley won against a very competent Wolves team and we remain above them and now level on points with Brighton. Three wins out of the last four, especially welcome when the three week break could have disrupted our momentum and we edge ever closer to survival and apply pressure to those around us, who will be casting glances over their shoulder.

I was disappointed to hear that Vestergaard was injured, as the three CBs has served us well and allowed us the width with the full backs playing out wide, which has suited us. The first 10 or 15 minutes seemed to bear this out, Brighton controlling the midfield and winning the 50/50 balls, although doing very little with the advantage as a result. But then the midfield seemed to dust themselves down and instil a sense of urgency into their tackling and closing down and we then dominated the match until the 70th minute or so. Armstrong made a superb contribution with a full-blooded display, full of energy in his forward movement, but also tracking back fast to cover defence too. Hojbjerg and Romeu were also very good too.

Once we had begun to dominate the midfield, we looked by far the team more likely to open the scoring, and a mistake by Brighton allowed us to storm upfield with the pace of Redmond bearing down on Brighton's defence with support left and right. A measured pass from Redmond to Hojbjerg and a very clever side-footed shot gave us the lead that our play had warranted.

Brighton were extremely slow to get into gear, even having gone behind and if I was a fan of theirs, I would be livid at the sideways and backwards passing their players indulged in, when their fans were screaming for them to get the ball into the box to their strikers. But by that 70 minute mark, Brighton had the lion's share of the possession and the impetus to threaten clawing a goal or more back. Hasenhuttl took off a tiring and ineffective Ings to give Gallagher a chance, but he didn't do much to stem the threat from Brighton. A strengthening of the defence with Stephens, who thankfully didn't throw the game away with a stupid defensive error this time, and finally Sims on for the tiring Redmond to maintain the attacking threat should we have the opportunity of a break out of defence to attempt to put the match beyond Brighton with a second goal. I wondered whether Sims might have changed the dynamics of the match had he been brought on earlier, but ultimately the substitutions were vindicated because of the clean sheet, as much as the final 10 minutes were full on squeaky bum time.

Ralph has been very effective since he came in, especially as this is largely the team that the Clown and Hughes had, and yet players that were out of favour with them have shone under Hasenhuttl and some diamonds in the rough have been unearthed and polished into decent prospects under him. Stay in the division and the prospects for the next season look very positive, once he has fashioned the team in his own image with some players of his choice brought in, and a full pre-season to get them to play his style.

Since RH took over P16 W7 D3 L6 Pts 24

1.5pts per game over the season so far would put us 7th

And if we had a decent commanding centre back, a good midfielder who protects the back four plus a decent striker then yes we will do so well next season.

Which shows that our team is really not that bad its just been horribly managed and considering we still have 7 games left and only 1 is against a top 6 side, we could actually end up finishing nowhere near relegation at this rate.

Overtaking Bournemouth anyone? Only 5 points behind and we play them at home.

In today’s Times Tony Cascarino predicted we will finish on 45 points and one place ahead of Bournemouth

So much luck in football. Their best shot 10 inches lower and they equalize, and it's a v different mood here. As it is, we can all breathe.

Didn't see anything from Gallagher. But Armstrong had a great game, as did Hoj (prob my MoM) and Romeu.

That’s not luck, it’s poor finishing from them, same as it is when we’re on the receiving end of these results.

I think one more win, or 3 draws would see us safe. Any more than about 8 points for Cardiff is a big ask.

I don't know. Could have been very different. We could have been 3 down in the first half against Spurs and could have easily drawn today. Conversely, we could have got something at Old Trafford though.

If you look at our performance level it's still pretty poor and there's a general lack of quality. What we have at the moment is commitment and well-drilled players. We're nowhere near the level we were when we finished 8th under Poch and Koeman.

The squad is way too thin up front and we only have one right back.

I don't know. Could have been very different. We could have been 3 down in the first half against Spurs and could have easily drawn today. Conversely, we could have got something at Old Trafford though.

If you look at our performance level it's still pretty poor and there's a general lack of quality. What we have at the moment is commitment and well-drilled players. We're nowhere near the level we were when we finished 8th under Poch and Koeman.

Spot on

We need to have a compete revamp next season if we stay up

Double post for some reason.

Clear out the deadwood and invest in some quality, especially going forward and centre back, and I think we could be back to challenging for the best of the rest next year.

People say 'clear out the dead wood' as if it was as easy as putting household rubbish in the bin. The 'dead wood' all have contracts we must honoour so they will stay, no top club will want them and no lower club will pay their inflated wages

And that is exactly the kind of complacent view the club are likely to take in the summer, in fact they will probably see our improved form as a sign that they can sell a couple of the more successful players in the first team and replace with more youngsters! Our results under Ralph are much improved but I still think there are clear and obvious weaknesses in our team and squad that need addressing and there’s only so long that Ralph will be able to pull rabbits out of hats without help from the club in introducing more quality.

People say 'clear out the dead wood' as if it was as easy as putting household rubbish in the bin. The 'dead wood' all have contracts we must honoour so they will stay, no top club will want them and no lower club will pay their inflated wages

That’s going to be our greatest challenge. We need to make room and funds available for a striker. We need a much better bench. The options today from the bench were extremely lacking. This off-season will be crucial and as fans we’ll need to be pretty patient.

Could be a monumental result,goes some way to saving our season.

Just hope Ralph is supported to rebuild in the summer.

Massive win.

Seems we always do the business when needed at the AMEX.

Bit worried about losing Ralph to the Austrian national team, who havent started the Euro quals well at all...

I'd be more concerned about Bayern and Schalke posts than the Austrian national team to be honest.

Great result...

Now let me see - Gallagher or Sims errrrrrrr....

Gallagher should be nowhere near a premiership team. Apart from everything else his lack of effort is alarming....

Lack of effort? He put himself about best he good when he came on. He does look short of fitness though

Great result...

Now let me see - Gallagher or Sims errrrrrrr....

Gallagher should be nowhere near a premiership team. Apart from everything else his lack of effort is alarming....

A goal on Friday and Gallagher will write himself into Saints folklore.

Or just crock VD, that'll do instead.

200.gif

I am staying in Brighton for the evening celebrating the win with more than enough drinks. Better team until we scored then weathered the storm very well. We will be perfectly fine under Ralph’s watch. :)

Agreed we are light years away from Poch and Koeman teams, Lambert Long Mane Redmond Van Dijk Stephens I'll leave it there.We have some good players and a very good manager but being assisted massively this year by Huddersfield and Fulham being utterly 1 star and Cardiff (who we have managed to lose TWICE to) not much better. We need some proper investment in the summer and to pay what it takes to get the players Ralph has identified as players we need.

6 points?

That would mean Cardiff City getting 11 points and a huge difference in GD(-15 to -30) from...

Chelsea (home)

Man City (away)

Burnley (away)

Brighton (away)

Liverpool (home)

Fulham (away)

Crystal Palace (home)

Man Utd (away)

Very hard to see them capable of doing that!

Perhaps I'm being cautious, but I wouldn't right them iff just yet. Shocks aren't that uncommon in the Premier League and I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat at least one of the "big" teams. Possibly Chelsea given their unpredictability this season. And Liverpool will have gone off the boil by the time they play them . Wouldn't be that surpsied 8f they beat Fulhamv(relegated) , Burnely (in a scrap) and Palace (probably on the beach).

there's a general lack of quality.

To be honest I think that sentence applies to 7th down. I seriously doubt if you took the best eleven from 7-20 they would be able to challenge for the top 6, everyone is quite 'meh' to be honest. I don't think our team is any worse than Evertons, Wolves, Bournemouths, West hams etc. it was just managed badly at the start of the season.

I mean your 'commitment and well-drilled players' I think basically describes how Watford are that high and how Burnley finished 7th last year to be honest.

Perhaps I'm being cautious, but I wouldn't right them iff just yet. Shocks aren't that uncommon in the Premier League and I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat at least one of the "big" teams. Possibly Chelsea given their unpredictability this season. And Liverpool will have gone off the boil by the time they play them . Wouldn't be that surpsied 8f they beat Fulhamv(relegated) , Burnely (in a scrap) and Palace (probably on the beach).

A shock would be beating Chelsea or Liverpool. That on its own won’t keep them up, they need consistent results, which they haven’t managed all season.

Massive win.

Bit worried about losing Ralph to the Austrian national team, who havent started the Euro quals well at all...

He won't leave the Premiership to take on a national team at this stage in his career; if he was 15-20 years older, maybe.

If they do then Burnley will be struggling, their fixtures are pretty tough and theyve one game less too. Said it before that 38 points will be safe, means 5 more needed for us. Cardiff would need 11 to overtake us which is improbable

Massive win.

Can't see us keeping Ralph anyway given "we are so going down"... ;)

aabf1931e36ec22afedecdf14f12204f.jpg

And that is exactly the kind of complacent view the club are likely to take in the summer, in fact they will probably see our improved form as a sign that they can sell a couple of the more successful players in the first team and replace with more youngsters! Our results under Ralph are much improved but I still think there are clear and obvious weaknesses in our team and squad that need addressing and there’s only so long that Ralph will be able to pull rabbits out of hats without help from the club in introducing more quality.

We need a top quality CB to run the defense along with Bednarek and (if we go 3 at the back) one of Verstergaard/Yoshida; a right back to compete with Valery; and a speedy goal-scoring striker. Anything more would be gravy, but with those 3 additions and Ralph's management we could compete for "best of the rest".

Disagree. Our bench and backup options are Championship standard. That’s what packing out the squad with ****e leads to. A clearout is needed in the summer and I’m relieved Ralph will be spearheading it.