Shirt sponsor - ethics and the fans

manina-pub

What are the ethical issue with any of the above. If it was a gambling/cigarrettes/achohol I can appreciate that raises a debate, but i'm not clear what ethical divide Victoria Secrets or Poundland crosses? Surely they are just retail outlets?

yeah I vote for Victoria's secrets. Half time entertainment could be a nice little catwalk show. Maybe a load of VS models around on the matchday concourses and the matchday programme could be pretty good to with a model of the week section not to mention you could pick up the wife's Christmas present on matchday at the club shop ...

I would also have a sponsor name for St Marys, we need to maximize all commercial revenue

Is it likely to make a significant difference though? Not being difficult, genuinely don’t know what the feasible range of amounts a club of our size can fetch in sponsorship.

Anyway, I really don’t get this BS about betting companies as sponsors. If you’re dim enough to gamble, a name on a shirt won’t be the thing that makes you do it.

Is that true though? If you are addicted to logging into your Ladbrokes account, would seeing their logo emblazoned everywhere not trigger some sort of urge?

It’s easy to take a specific situation and make it seem meaningless but the issue is that betting will, if it hasn’t already, become the thing that everyone does, and if you don’t do it you’re the odd one out. Of course you can argue that there’s so much of it then it won’t make any difference whether Saints add to it or not (I’m sure we have an official betting partner) but I’d rather we didn’t if we can help it.

Edited by mrfahaji

Is that true though? If you are addicted to logging into your Ladbrokes account, what seeing their logo emblazoned everywhere not trigger some sort of urge?

It’s easy to take a specific situation and make it seem meaningless but the issue is that betting will, if it hasn’t already, become the thing that everyone does, and if you don’t do it you’re the odd one out. Of course you can argue that there’s so much of it then it won’t make any difference whether Saints add to it or not (I’m sure we have an official betting partner) but I’d rather we didn’t if we can help it.

Laughable that people think advertising has no effect. This stuff is science.

I would love us to be called the Redbull Reds if we could just buy another Hoedt, Carrillo, Elynoussi.

Oh and put the price of a pint in the ground up - all helps add to the coffers.

Anyway, I really don’t get this BS about betting companies as sponsors. If you’re dim enough to gamble, a name on a shirt won’t be the thing that makes you do it.

Ok so dim people are going to gamble anyway.... other people won't be persuaded to by 'a name on a shirt'...that does make you wonder why so many companies are investing millions on shirt advertising. Mate you've ****ing cracked it! These idiots are wasting their money, squandering millions on shirt sponsorship. Why don't you tell them? You're going to be a hero in the gambling industry. "Hey Paddy Power!...all that money you're spending on advertising...it's having absolutely no effect on anyone whatsoever!

What are the ethical issue with any of the above. If it was a gambling/cigarrettes/achohol I can appreciate that raises a debate, but i'm not clear what ethical divide Victoria Secrets or Poundland crosses? Surely they are just retail outlets?

I think the original question is raised regarding standards that we'd apply rather than ethics as Poundland or VS are likely to attract ridicule.

As for the ethics of it best to avoid gambling, tobacco (already banned isn't it ?), money lending - Wonga type - sponsorship. Personally I would'nt want to see children parading those names around on the front of shirts.

On a couple of other issues though, if Sir Jim Ratcliffe turned up at Staplewood with a few billion to spare (won't happen but if it did) would fans be prepared to accept the controversy surrounding having Ineos on our shirts if it lead to a few protesting every match ?

If Ralph brought some investment from Austrian chums to set up Red Bull Southampton ? (I think this was discussed on here before Marcus got involved).

I think the original question is raised regarding standards that we'd apply rather than ethics as Poundland or VS are likely to attract ridicule.

As for the ethics of it best to avoid gambling, tobacco (already banned isn't it ?), money lending - Wonga type - sponsorship. Personally I would'nt want to see children parading those names around on the front of shirts.

On a couple of other issues though, if Sir Jim Ratcliffe turned up at Staplewood with a few billion to spare (won't happen but if it did) would fans be prepared to accept the controversy surrounding having Ineos on our shirts if it lead to a few protesting every match ?

If Ralph brought some investment from Austrian chums to set up Red Bull Southampton ? (I think this was discussed on here before Marcus got involved).

Well the thread title was 'Ethics & The fans' so from that I assumed it was asking if people would have a problem if they were ethically opposed to a sponsor. Personally, yes I would have a problem with Sir Jim Ratcliffe, but that's just me..people above had stated they don't care who sponsors us as long as the moneys right.

Well the thread title was 'Ethics & The fans' so from that I assumed it was asking if people would have a problem if they were ethically opposed to a sponsor. Personally, yes I would have a problem with Sir Jim Ratcliffe, but that's just me..people above had stated they don't care who sponsors us as long as the moneys right.

Are people getting carried away with protesting against INEOS? Are they any different to any other petrochemical company?

Fracking is just like coal mining - although sensible to trial it up up north. Oh and pay your taxes.

All these betting companies ensure they are offshore and pay fck all tax btw.

Edited by whelk

Fracking is just like coal mining - although sensible to trial it up up north.

Anywhere as long as it's not under your house ?

If Poundland became our shirt sponsors I'd stop supporting us.

If INEOS were ever associated with the club, that would do it for me.

Edited by badgerx16

We don't know enough about the sponsor or the ownership to make an ethical judgment. The only one we can make is that it's murky.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently because so many fans (especially ours) have celebrated Man City winning the league over Liverpool. Cheating and sport as reputation laundering matter way more than shirt sponsors.

We don't know enough about the sponsor or the ownership to make an ethical judgment. The only one we can make is that it's murky.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently because so many fans (especially ours) have celebrated Man City winning the league over Liverpool. Cheating and sport as reputation laundering matter way more than shirt sponsors.

That's because there is a more personal reason not to want Liverpool to win, rather than because Man City are well liked. Certainly I have always disliked City immensely but was also fed up with everything (don't think I need to list it all) that goes with Liverpool being successful. If it was a choice between City and Portsmouth, who would you expect our fans to support, even if Portsmouth had reached the top by being an exemplary club (not saying Liverpool are)?

If I had to order all the teams in PL by how much I liked them, City would be in the bottom 3 or 4, but crucially they'd be higher than Liverpool (and Tottenham and Everton).