Penalty Taker Next Season

sydney_saint

If the Champions League is any indication, one of the unfortunate side impacts of VAR is that there will be more penalties next season, particularly reasonably soft ones. If this is the case, and I do realise it is an if, it would mean that the penalty taker becomes a more essential part of our team. Based on our current squad, who would you have taking our penalties? For me it is JWP- he strikes a football so cleanly and all of our good penalty takers in recent years (MLT, Beattie, Lambert) have all done the same. I guess Ings would also consider himself as the penalty taker as well.

As you say, it will be JWP or Ings, unless we sign someone better.

I think the question of the impact of VAR on the number of penalties is an interesting one. It will also be interesting to see if the laws are applied consistently throughout the season or if there is an initial peak then a tailing off (like shirt pulls at corners, which were penalised quite vigorously for a few weeks before being ignored again).

I hope we don't get to a situation where manufactured contact with the hand/arm is resulting in lots of penalties. It will ruin the sport.