Yan Valery - Official: Signs for Angers

SuperSAINT

He completed one pass in the first half from a total of 3. Those are official statistics but don’t let that cloud your judgement

I thought everyone bar him had a good game last night.

For what it’s worth I rate Slattery, like what I’ve seen of Obafemi when fit.. this isn’t having a go at our youngsters

None of you having a go at my post have had anything constructive to argue against my point other than insults. Very strange bunch most of our fans

Where did you get your "official statistics" because the stat website I was on earlier gave him a higher rating than Bertrand !?

Why do some say these things

He is pretty average at the mo. Nothing to suggest anyone decent will snap him up.

Leave him be

Did you notice who was playing for Fulham last night? One Calum Chambers, for whom Arsenal splashed out £16m at one stage, so I don't know why you are scoffing at the suggestion. Whether, like Chambers, he'll make it all the way is another matter.

Very true post without hype and only actually assessing the player in all he does and that’s very little!

Nowhere near good enough for this team.

No positional sense outside of his own half. Man U will block off the service to Bertrand and Valery will be nowhere to be seen.

Not so bad at defending but the rest is plain terrible.

You are consistently negative and if anybody shows an ounce of positivity you denounce them as "Happy Clappers". He's young, to my mind (and many others) he's improving, and he's being given the opportunity to do so. What would you prefer, buying ready made players we can't afford, or ones that we can afford but aren't quite good enough?

You are consistently negative and if anybody shows an ounce of positivity you denounce them as "Happy Clappers". He's young, to my mind (and many others) he's improving, and he's being given the opportunity to do so. What would you prefer, buying ready made players we can't afford, or ones that we can afford but aren't quite good enough?

This. The kid has done well, bar Cardiff, and is improving. We've wasted a fortune on poor players over recent times and I'd rather nurture our own than waste more money on players who may be no better.

Valery’s doing well IMO. I’m enjoying watching him develop and improve especially as he’s an academy player. I actually think he’s starting to link up well with the attacking players in the final third. He looked decent against Fulham.

Hopefully he stays fit...not much cover at RB.

Valery’s doing well IMO. I’m enjoying watching him develop and improve especially as he’s an academy player. I actually think he’s starting to link up well with the attacking players in the final third. He looked decent against Fulham.

Hopefully he stays fit...not much cover at RB.

We have Jack Stephens for that role when required.

We have Jack Stephens for that role when required.
He's not a wing back (which Hasenhuttl seems to have settled on as our immediate tactical future) in a million years.

If Valery can't play, Ward-Prowse is his most likely replacement. Not ideal, to put it mildly, but not much about our squad is.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The boy clearly has talent - he’s been facing some of the best wingers in the Prem and hasn’t looked particularly out of his depth - having never played senior football he’s made fewer mistakes than some of those around him. That said he would be bottom 3 in terms of Prem rb rankings, so I think both sides of this argument have a point - he’s got talent and has improved, but in our situation we shouldn’t be gambling on a player who will always struggle at this stage of his career vs rival rbs.

I think he has done perfectly alright, in any case I don't think we have particularly missed Cedric so far. Yes, Valery going forward could improve, but then again Cedric - whenever he got into good positions, never managed to send in particularly dangerous crosses anyway...

He's doing okay; defends decently but you can see he lacks conviction going forward. When things go right and he manages to get past his man, it usually has a whiff of good fortune about it, rather than because he knew what he was doing. Moreover, despite having pretty quick feet, he hasn't really figured out how to feint to get a yard to put in a cross yet, with the result that 9/10 are easily blocked by the first man.

It's worth remembering that many young full backs are converted attackers/wingers who have a natural (and coached) attacking instinct, and then learn the art of defending. Valery is an out and out defender who played a bit at CB and mostly RB as a youth. He then played RB as an under 23, and always in a back 4. He's been pushed into Premier league football at a young age and not only had to adapt to the pace and skill of the league, he's had to learn a new position which involves attacking which is a whole new skill. The fact that he's held his own is bloody impressive and people should judge him on how he's developed in such a short period of time, and remember that he's not a seasoned wing back.

I also think long term he'll be a full back in a back 4 not a wing-back and that defensive side of his game will be more important.

Both him and Targett have been good this year IMO, but like all young players they are still works in progress and you won't get consistency.

I think he has done perfectly alright, in any case I don't think we have particularly missed Cedric so far. Yes, Valery going forward could improve, but then again Cedric - whenever he got into good positions, never managed to send in particularly dangerous crosses anyway...

Key words. If Valery gets injured/suspended, or just plain knackered when we enter a run of 2 matches per week, who's going to replace him?

He has clearly done very well since the the Cardiff game and has performed better than Cedric this season, whilst showing a clear progression the more minutes he has played.

One of the few bright spots of the season and can definitely be a PL starter next season if we stay up.

He obviously has some good attacking moves in his locker but has understandably focused his his defensive basics til now.

Where did you get your "official statistics" because the stat website I was on earlier gave him a higher rating than Bertrand !?

He was pretty decent 2nd half and no way can be singled out for being poor.

Been getting better and more confident with the ball, especially his couple of dribbles in the box recently, clearly learned from his sending off at Leicester and when he's back there (which isn't intended to be all that often) he looks solid enough. Far happier with his performances now than I was in the first few games.

Cover would be Stephens, or Bednarek, maybe playing a 4, maybe Ward-Prowse with Slattery there, maybe Ramsay - who tbf looks more like a CB. Whatever the solution, we're not missing Cedric anything as much as we're missing Gabbiadini as a fit striker who can finish at the moment.

Been getting better and more confident with the ball, especially his couple of dribbles in the box recently, clearly learned from his sending off at Leicester and when he's back there (which isn't intended to be all that often) he looks solid enough. Far happier with his performances now than I was in the first few games.

Cover would be Stephens, or Bednarek, maybe playing a 4, maybe Ward-Prowse with Slattery there, maybe Ramsay - who tbf looks more like a CB. Whatever the solution, we're not missing Cedric anything as much as we're missing Gabbiadini as a fit striker who can finish at the moment.

I really like Ralph. However, I am baffled that he didn't retain Gabbi even if in the long term he doesn't rate him. I cannot see how he wouldn't improve us right now over Austin or Long.

I don't deny those two put the effort in, but they both come across as past it I'm afraid

He was pretty decent 2nd half and no way can be singled out for being poor.

The stats i mentioned were from half time (whoscored.com) and I think NBC showed that as well. In fairness he did improve a bit 2nd half

Clearly he’s young and should improve but people have compared him to Shaw and even Bale on this thread bizarrely. I would love to see him get better and he has got a bit of potential.. it’s his positional sense (which clearly a lot of people don’t pay attention to), first touch, poor heading, not getting involved in passing as much as he should and his crossing that is a concern IMO. He is a half decent tackler and will hopefully build on those weaknesses but it was madness from us not signing another RB for me especially as he hasn’t had a loan spell anywhere. I hope he has a decent game tomorrow as Rashford could give him a hard time

On the other hand I watched the u23’s tonight and thought Ramsay was fantastic on the right (aside from giving away a pen) so he could be an option.. appreciate it’s a much lower level etc

The stats i mentioned were from half time (whoscored.com) and I think NBC showed that as well. In fairness he did improve a bit 2nd half

Clearly he’s young and should improve but people have compared him to Shaw and even Bale on this thread bizarrely. I would love to see him get better and he has got a bit of potential.. it’s his positional sense (which clearly a lot of people don’t pay attention to), first touch, poor heading, not getting involved in passing as much as he should and his crossing that is a concern IMO. He is a half decent tackler and will hopefully build on those weaknesses but it was madness from us not signing another RB for me especially as he hasn’t had a loan spell anywhere. I hope he has a decent game tomorrow as Rashford could give him a hard time

On the other hand I watched the u23’s tonight and thought Ramsay was fantastic on the right (aside from giving away a pen) so he could be an option.. appreciate it’s a much lower level etc

Ahhhh sanity - very well put...

Agree I saw 20 mins of the under 23s last night and Ramsey played well in that period.

Didn’t see the penalty incident.

One last time :D

When he runs with the ball, and he takes it all the way from the quarteeeeer,

Then he gets in the cross, Austin heads it on wide, Why does he even botheeeeer,

Since he's come along,

He's been playing at his best,

Setting up the chances,

For everyone to miss,

Why don't you take a strike,

Take one for freeeee,

WHY DONT YOU SCORE A GOAL YAN VAAALLLLEEEERRRYYYY

VAAALLLLEEEERRRYYYY

WHY DON'T YOU SCORE A GOAL YAN VAAALLLLEEEERRRYYYY

Still don't understand why the club didn't keep Cedric as back up in case Valery gets injured/suspended/knackered....

This, for me. I have no problem with RH preferring Valery to Cedric. It's the lack of depth or a more experienced option I'm not comfortable with.

If we're a goal up at Brighton, Valery has been booked and had his 'final warning' with 20 minutes left, I'd kind of like Cedric on the bench.

This, for me. I have no problem with RH preferring Valery to Cedric. It's the lack of depth or a more experienced option I'm not comfortable with.

If we're a goal up at Brighton, Valery has been booked and had his 'final warning' with 20 minutes left, I'd kind of like Cedric on the bench.

Reasonable to presume that RH had hoped Cedric out meant Maehle or another in.

It certainly looked like we were trying to move Austin on and get Adams in at the end of the window.

Assuming we keep our heads above water it will be interesting to see what business RH does in the summer. If we can shift big earners out I would trust his judgement on incomings.

Although he’s French, he’s eligible to play for Tunisia from his mother, and there are a few reports in the non-mainstream press indicating he’s switched allegiance from France to Tunisia.

Wonder if Jaidi has had an influence

Because Cedric wouldn't accept that and would be a disruptive influence in the dressing room?

This. RH has wanted to get a group of players who would play his way, and play for the team. Those who left in January either couldn't (Davis, Gabbi) or wouldn't (Hoedt, Cedric) do this. The group of players are clearly much more together, as was shown by the reactions after Wednesday's game. For those who say that he shouldn't have let Gabbi go, my understanding is that he wanted to go -just didn't make a big fuss about it. Unlike Hoedt and Cedric who we are well rid of.

Reasonable to presume that RH had hoped Cedric out meant Maehle or another in.

It certainly looked like we were trying to move Austin on and get Adams in at the end of the window.

Assuming we keep our heads above water it will be interesting to see what business RH does in the summer. If we can shift big earners out I would trust his judgement on incomings.

I’ve no doubt that’s what RH hoped for. Offloading players in January and just hoping we replace them is stupid from the club.

This. RH has wanted to get a group of players who would play his way, and play for the team. Those who left in January either couldn't (Davis, Gabbi) or wouldn't (Hoedt, Cedric) do this. The group of players are clearly much more together, as was shown by the reactions after Wednesday's game. For those who say that he shouldn't have let Gabbi go, my understanding is that he wanted to go -just didn't make a big fuss about it. Unlike Hoedt and Cedric who we are well rid of.

On the Total Saints Podcast (after the Cardiff game), Simon Peach gave an enormous hint that basically Cedric was being a very big pain in the backside. Get the idea people want cover, but in the situation we're in it's better to have the toxic people out.

I’ve no doubt that’s what RH hoped for. Offloading players in January and just hoping we replace them is stupid from the club.

Quite possibly unless, as others have alluded to, some of those who went were't right for the squad.

Ideally though we certainly would have got another forward and a little more over at rb.

Because Cedric wouldn't accept that and would be a disruptive influence in the dressing room?

At the beginning of the season maybe, but we're talking less than half of a season. Tell him he's a backup until the summer, and then he's free to move on. I'm sure the snowflake could handle that without a fuss. He hasn't even been sold FFS, and Inter have indicated they're not interested in him after the loan expires.

Quite possibly unless, as others have alluded to, some of those who went were't right for the squad.

Ideally though we certainly would have got another forward and a little more over at rb.

We have plenty of players who aren’t right for this squad. In fact we’re barely into double figures for players who are. Bottom line is we got rid of the only experienced RB at the club and unless he went full on Osvaldo in training, I can’t figure out why.

We have plenty of players who aren’t right for this squad. In fact we’re barely into double figures for players who are. Bottom line is we got rid of the only experienced RB at the club and unless he went full on Osvaldo in training, I can’t figure out why.

But what does it matter? He's gone and Valery is far from a weak link. Stephens is adequate RB cover, and JWP right wing back. The ongoing post mortem ain't gonna bring him back.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Yan Valery - Official: Signs for Angers