Coronavirus

whelk

Still seeing stuff on social media saying the direction is not very clear!

My god!

That’s because it isn’t. Too many unanswered questions. “Travelling to and from work”. Work is not always done at just one place.

It might be clear to certain people in certain situations, but there are many instances where this guidance is undefined.

That’s because it isn’t. Too many unanswered questions. “Travelling to and from work”. Work is not always done at just one place.

It might be clear to certain people in certain situations, but there are many instances where this guidance is undefined.

Let's be honest. Unless you are a key worker, you should not be working if it cannot be done at home.

Obvious really

This.

Is a builder ‘essential’? To me - yes, personally, but there’s 3 of them on my job - so will they get dispersed?

This.

Is a builder ‘essential’? To me - yes, personally, but there’s 3 of them on my job - so will they get dispersed?

Are they listed key workers?

Just seen a post on Facebook where someone will be opening their hair salon tomorrow as that is also essential!

Let's be honest. Unless you are a key worker, you should not be working if it cannot be done at home.

Obvious really

How about services that support key workers? What if an ambulance needs a new tyre, or some diesel?

If someone works in co-op, are they a key worker or not?

How about services that support key workers? What if an ambulance needs a new tyre, or some diesel?

The contracts that supports emergency vehicles will remain extant and those workers know this.

A mechanic at your local garage without such contract, who can quickly MOT your car, will have to shut

Strong measures although still some things open to interpretation.

It's obvious by the lack of traffic that a lot of people are already staying at home but there's loads of companies who will still be telling their staff to come in because they don't want to lose money.

The contracts that supports emergency vehicles will remain extant and those workers know this.

A mechanic at your local garage without such contract, who can quickly MOT your car, will have to shut

Fair enough, you probably know emergency protocols better than I do!

Surely 99% of this is obvious.

The emergency services will have their own maintenance contracts. Supermarkets, petrol stations and chemists will remain open. Top Shop, Ann Summers and Games Workshop won’t. Various transport services also count as essential, I’m sure their line managers are capable of marking competent decisions on who needs to be at work and who doesn’t.

Fair enough, you probably know emergency protocols better than I do!
I said way further up that the planning gone into this, just from the area I have visibility on, has been on a level we have not seen ever in peace time.

All to save the NHS, otherwise, we are all done!

Obvious really

“Obvious really”

What is that supposed to mean? If you have a business that desperately needs some finance to see it through the next month how do you “do that from home”? If you have manufacturing contracts to fulfill, how do you “do that from home”?

“Obvious really”

What is that supposed to mean? If you have a business that desperately needs some finance to see it through the next month how do you “do that from home”? If you have manufacturing contracts to fulfill, how do you “do that from home”?

That is a different argument to what is being instructed by the PM.

No good worrying about a business if you are dead!

I'm also a bit confused by some reactions I've seen on twitter, one post saying ''It's not lock-down, so I'm not staying in'' - I mean, what on gods earth do you have to do? Personally, I'd let those dicks go out and just taser the ****ers for 3 weeks non-stop.

I would say that the 'going to work' element is a bit confusing and needs urgent clarity. What is essential to some isn't essential to others, what can be done remotely can't be done for others - and that's across all sectors.

He just needs to say that the only people leaving the house for work should be key workers and that will put an end to the uncertainty - otherwise this is open to business interpretation (construction firms, docks, industry etc)

That is a different argument to what is being instructed by the PM.

No good worrying about a business if you are dead!

But if that business employs several people who would otherwise lose their jobs?

Please don’t mention the government’s lans to offer financial help. There are no details yet as to how that will be arranged, and anyway somebody has to be there to try to get the help. At both ends of the line.

I'm also a bit confused by some reactions I've seen on twitter, one post saying ''It's not lock-down, so I'm not staying in'' - I mean, what on gods earth do you have to do? Personally, I'd let those dicks go out and just taser the ****ers for 3 weeks non-stop.

I would say that the 'going to work' element is a bit confusing and needs urgent clarity. What is essential to some isn't essential to others, what can be done remotely can't be done for others - and that's across all sectors.

He just needs to say that the only people leaving the house for work should be key workers and that will put an end to the uncertainty - otherwise this is open to business interpretation (construction firms, docks, industry etc)

But if he says that only key workers can go out hundreds of thousands of businesses will go bust in a matter of days, not weeks.

But if that business employs several people who would otherwise lose their jobs?

Please don’t mention the government’s lans to offer financial help. There are no details yet as to how that will be arranged, and anyway somebody has to be there to try to get the help. At both ends of the line.

They can crack on if they want. Risk being killed by the virus, or at best, a hefty fine.

Not sure who many would expect to sell their goods to. But each to their own.

We are a breath away from tougher lockdowns, like they have in France. Where you are awarded a e1000 fine on the spot and a scrap with a soldier.

Surely 99% of this is obvious.

The emergency services will have their own maintenance contracts. Supermarkets, petrol stations and chemists will remain open. Top Shop, Ann Summers and Games Workshop won’t. Various transport services also count as essential, I’m sure their line managers are capable of marking competent decisions on who needs to be at work and who doesn’t.

As a Tube worker we’ve been told we’re not closing to keep ferrying the key workers around. The problem is staff are dropping like flies as they self isolate because they or one of their household have Covid 19 symptoms, and that is largely because they are coming into contact with customers despite posters advising the social distancing 2 metres and posters saying essential travel only. Luckily for me, as a Station Supervisor of one of the smaller stations, I can position myself in the office, minimising direct contact with customers. There have been a couple of incidents in the last couple of days on other lines than mine, involving customers collapsing with Covid 19 symptoms, which staff and other customers have obviously been exposed to. Rush hour this morning was a lot busier than I was expecting, I wait to see how busy tomorrow is.

This is an unprecedented and unique situation. Unfortunately there will still be people out there that don’t respect authority and will flaunt the new guidelines.

WG you are the PM what message would you give?

But if he says that only key workers can go out hundreds of thousands of businesses will go bust in a matter of days, not weeks.

It's such a tricky balancing act, but the government are doing a lot to help all businesses. Will prob get further help going forward.

I think without that clarity you'll still get commutes full of people, like we saw today on the tube.

I would hazard an educated guess that there are a lot of casual foreign workers in London getting paid cash in hand. Illegal,yes, but if that stops they’ll either resort to crime or die. Which means non -essential travel, at least in London, will continue until greater measures are put in place.

They can crack on if they want. Risk being killed by the virus, or at best, a hefty fine.

Not sure who many would expect to sell their goods to. But each to their own.

We are a breath away from tougher lockdowns, like they have in France. Where you are awarded a e1000 fine on the spot and a scrap with a soldier.

I’m not talking about companies that make goods and then hope to sell them. There are many companies that have contracts to fulfil and if they don’t supply these contracts then they so get paid and if they don’t get paid then they can’t pay their staff.

It's such a tricky balancing act, but the government are doing a lot to help all businesses. Will prob get further help going forward.

I think without that clarity you'll still get commutes full of people, like we saw today on the tube.

All this help is great, but you have to wonder at the size of the deep recession that is inbound!

The government aren’t doing anything at the moment. At the moment it’s all promises but no actions.

Clear as mud.

What counts as “absolutely cannot be done from home”? I can think of loads of examples.

You are correct.

But these are exceptional times and people will lose their jobs and their lives

Tragic, I know, but the whole economic machine is grinding to a halt as we speak. This is unprecedented in this country.

We will be paying for decades I suspect.

How about deliveries? Royal Mail / DHL etc. Will these carry on or be suspended do we think? No, I’m not concerned about any bloody Amazon orders, just trying to gauge the scale!

I’ve just ordered an angle grinder from Amazon and some other bits from Toolstation. I’ll let you know if any of it turns up in the near future.

How about deliveries? Royal Mail / DHL etc. Will these carry on or be suspended do we think? No, I’m not concerned about any bloody Amazon orders, just trying to gauge the scale!
Can only imagine deliveries will continue (generally lonesome job,) with all priority given to the coronavirus effort

As a Tube worker we’ve been told we’re not closing to keep ferrying the key workers around. The problem is staff are dropping like flies as they self isolate because they or one of their household have Covid 19 symptoms, and that is largely because they are coming into contact with customers despite posters advising the social distancing 2 metres and posters saying essential travel only. Luckily for me, as a Station Supervisor of one of the smaller stations, I can position myself in the office, minimising direct contact with customers. There have been a couple of incidents in the last couple of days on other lines than mine, involving customers collapsing with Covid 19 symptoms, which staff and other customers have obviously been exposed to. Rush hour this morning was a lot busier than I was expecting, I wait to see how busy tomorrow is.

This is an unprecedented and unique situation. Unfortunately there will still be people out there that don’t respect authority and will flaunt the new guidelines.

I think there’s a certain tolerance of idiocy built in to most of the predictions. If everyone was able to stick to the governments advice rigidly, 99% of people would only spread it to people in our own homes. It would basically be over in a month. Sadly that won’t happen. Partly due to stupidity and partly due to people such as yourselves, who are forced into social interaction.

Still seeing stuff on social media saying the direction is not very clear!

My god!

Do you think might be wise to stay off social media?

Seems many getting worked up by MLT. Don’t think it is doing any of us any good

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus