Burnley 1 Saints 0 - Reaction

Mr X

Yet again the Puel safety first defensive ethos of football has seen us lose when we could and should have had the three points sewn up. We just can't seem to punish teams when we are on top, and putting the ball in the net seems a real problem with this system. I still am of the belief that there is enough talent in the squad for us to be doing better, so therefore questions need to be asked of the manager. For what ever reason, it's not working.

I'm totally bored with Puel now and his complete inability to set this team up with any sort of chance to win/draw consistently away from home. He sets us up not to lose when he should be setting us up to try to win. It is utterly negative dross. We have had a few seasons where the coaches appreciated that you have to go all out to win every game including the away matches because getting the three points is a big deal. Puel is incapable of trying to win by going for it away from the comfort of St Marys. The man is like his football - utterly drab and boring. Missed chances and goalkeeping errors don't help but it's the negativity that does for us every time.

What game were you watching? You cannot possibly say that we set up not to lose today. We had by far the lion's share of possession and chances.

I'm sure Puel doesn't want to players to not be able to shot properly or convert chances. He needs better players before he can judged. No sure Koeman would have faired much better with these midfield and forward options.

You are right, if Koeman knew he was losing Pelle and Mane and they weren't going to be properly replaced he would have left........oh......:smug:

It's weird. I feel like I just watched a totally different game to you. How long would it have to carry on like this until you decide that this isn't working?

Because you watched the game you wanted to watch. We were not dull or terrible - our finishing is the difference between being higher in the League and where we are now.

I'm totally bored with Puel now and his complete inability to set this team up with any sort of chance to win/draw consistently away from home. He sets us up not to lose when he should be setting us up to try to win. It is utterly negative dross.

Complete and utter pony . We weren't negative or set up not to lose. We had chance after chance to make something happen and the players final ball was woeful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God only knows what Puel has to do before someone at the club has the balls to pull the trigger on him.

His tactical style is miserably negative - keep possession and hope to God that someone who can't hit a penetrating pass gets one through to someone who can't score but does.

It wouldn't even work if he had some semblance of motivational skill, which he doesn't.

I'm normally one of the optimists, but not when it comes to this guy.

For Anfield, he's already going over the pitiful hold-the-lead tactical 'package' he used against Inter.

Sh*te, dull football but we aren't in a relegation fight. It's not as if we went up there, got battered and were never in the game. In fact only the Spurs and Chelsea games have really been like that.

It's all well and good blaming the clubs transfer policy but we do have attacking players. I would expect poor form from Redmond, Long, J Rod, Tadic OR Boufal but not all of them at the same time, for the whole season.

Such a crappy feeling this season after all the highs of the previous 2-3 seasons under ambitious managers who set up the team to play and man manage players the right way.

it's 2 steps forward and 1 massive step back......back to the championship that is if this continues

i'd also like to think we'll beat Liverpool to reach Wembley but if by some miracle we achieve that we'd probably get annihilated by Utd in the final with this team the way we play.

Unlikely we'll do any business in the transfer window going by Puel's Thursday pre-match press conference too which only confirms our lack of ambition to push on from last season which we should of done correctly in the summer after losing Mane,Pelle and Wanyama without Austin we are toothless and Useless, and if Alex McCarthy is fit for the love of god PLAY him instead of that oaf we currently have between the sticks

We outplayed Burnley for most of the match but how we miss somebody like Pelle or Mane to convert the chances we created. Hojbjerg had a decent game in midfield, as did Romeu until his stupid gift to Burnley, who will thank him and Forster for gifting them three points. J W-P was largely anonymous as was Tadic. We missed Davis. As usual, we are more effective with Bertrand and Cedric giving us the width and pace out wide, but all of that is nullified when you don't have somebody in the box to convert their crosses.

We desperately need to buy or loan a striker before the January window closes.

Was around week 21 last season that our season really kicked up a gear. We are 3 points worse off just now, but 5 of our next 6 are against Leicester, Swansea, Watford, WHU and Sunderland and 3 of them games at home.

Beat Liverpool end of Jan and make the most of these easier fixtures and possibly we could salvage something in the league.

Complete and utter pony . We weren't negative or set up not to lose. We had chance after chance to make something happen and the players final ball was woeful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know about the final ball, the finishing was woeful though. We should have scored at least 3 and that's without the great saves that Heaton made. Tadic drags it wide twice, Virgil heads straight at the keeper etc

And when the final ball does go into the right areas, there generally isn't anybody getting close to it. Why can't we try playing 2 up top, just for an experiment ?

I'm totally bored with Puel now and his complete inability to set this team up with any sort of chance to win/draw consistently away from home. He sets us up not to lose when he should be setting us up to try to win. It is utterly negative dross. We have had a few seasons where the coaches appreciated that you have to go all out to win every game including the away matches because getting the three points is a big deal. Puel is incapable of trying to win by going for it away from the comfort of St Marys. The man is like his football - utterly drab and boring. Missed chances and goalkeeping errors don't help but it's the negativity that does for us every time.

Some players have lost confidence in Puel, notably Forster, Fonte and Long. Serious drop in standards from some superb players last year. A real management issue.

Fraser Forster.......rapidly losing faith in the guy.

Can't actually remember the last time the big guy has made a half decent save. These past few months it's seems that virtually every opposition shot on target, is destined for the back of our net. Hate to say it but Fraser is becoming a liability.

To be fair if we play like that for the rest of the seasons we'll probably get lots of 0-0's and 0-1's. Death by football.

Not if we can't score goals, and habitually concede soft ones we won't.

All very well people making lame statements such as "bit unlucky today", "played well today but..", "on another day we'd..." . Today follows a familiar pattern of matches at Palace, Hull, even Everton, where we do nearly enough until we get near their penalty area, or the opposition have a shot at Forster.

As we all know - bar Reed it seems - we need a striker, and a goalkeeper who can use his hands more effectively wouldn't go amiss either.

Shame about McCarthy not being available as I expect he'd have taken the position over the last few week.

As said in match thread after the highs of midweek (Liverpool were very poor it must be said) we have once again produced a load of garbage. it appears some people on this forum are completely comfortable with one decent performance in 4/5 games and our ever discreet board seem so as well. Football is an entertainment business and we are terrible and boring to watch.

People state don't blame puel.. so why drop jrod after a decent effort on Wednesday, especially against the team where he came from. Sorry purl is 50% of the issue. The other is the messiah les read for being blind to the fact all summer that we were woefully short in an attacking sense...

There are 2 main problems in the team right now:

-Lack of cutting edge not only from our strikers but from the whole team. Final ball is woeful and when we do get into scoring areas we take an age to shoot.

-Our GK. He is seriously costing us a lot of points. Palace, Spurs, West Brom and now Burnley come to mind. A lot of the goals conceded are saveble.

Can someone provide an update on McCarthy?

Until we resolve these 2 issues, results will be more of the same.

Clueless and toothless. They have no idea where to goal is let alone the ability to score. Why do we storm forward with the ball only to stop and pass sideways or backwards, we are clueless in the final third. All our possession means nothing, I'm sure most of our possession occurs in our own half.

Sad as we battered this team in October.