Burnley 1 Saints 0 - Reaction

Mr X

Stuck in traffic in Burnley. I thought we were quite good. To many crosses with forwards with little bite but we played well. What I did notice and I have seen it a few times, around 70 minutes Puel makes changes but generally when we are looking fluid and the players are engaging. I sore it today, radical came off and we lost some flow.. I don't know if it would have effected the result but I do think it slowed us down in an entertaining game. To the fans booing at the end .. WTF ? One decent striker of VVD stature and we would be battering sides regularly.

We shouldn't be in danger of relegation. In the last four league games it was only against Spurs that we were well beaten.

But too many good teams have been relegated because, although they consistently played well, they didn't get points on the board and, as pressure builds, anxiety can even worsen performance.

No panic yet. But we do seriously need a couple of wins.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

The striker needs support so we need to play two up front. Redmond and Tadic mostly on their wrong sides were hopeless, slowed it down, came back across the field all the time, never got to the bye line or managed to pick out an attacker with their scuffed crosses mostly short at defenders, despite having a lot of the ball. Just allowed the defence to mass. How we played against Liverpool.

It's time JWP was permanently binned. Can't Run, beat a man, tackle, shoot or head, his mythical delivery rarely ever troubles defences, his passing is just negative. Hojbjerg was poor and tentative early on but the longer the game went on the better he got, there is a good player in there we need to get him playing. Long had one of his most competent games up front on his own and worked hard but no support, a striker short and no proper service.

Romeu was solid but gave away several needless free kicks, however he had a decent game. The back four was solid but Yoshida didn't look as confident as he was on Wednesday. It looked like a set piece was the only thing that could trouble us except for a break in the last fifteen minutes with VVD staying up front.

The tempo was much better but the set up just looks all wrong. 11 goals from play in 21 league games says it all. We need to get another attacker into midfield with both Long and Rodriguez up front, two defensive midfielders is enough. Tadic and Redmond could play with Rodriguez behind Long but only if they play on their natural sides. Rodriguez looks stronger as he gets more game time.

I'm with you David why we haven't switched some games to 4-2-3-1 baffles me. 8 games we haven't scored yet stick to same formation even subs are like for like most games.

Or 4-4 fcking 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We shouldn't be in danger of relegation. In the last four league games it was only against Spurs that we were well beaten.

But too many good teams have been relegated because, although they consistently played well, they didn't get points on the board and, as pressure builds, anxiety can even worsen performance.

No panic yet. But we do seriously need a couple of wins.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

You are right. Problems can become a crisis.

The relegation word is being increasingly used. My warnings are now reflecting the increasingly majority viewpoint. I did warn everyone and to be fair most people could see the folly and the complacency in our summer transfer business.

you also warned us years we finished 14th, and 8th, and 7th, and 6th.

Your warnings don't hold much water.

Normally I would agree but we could be 4 places above the drop zone by the end of the day. Right now we have 4 points from the last 18 on offer. Same as Sunderland. Are they not in a Relegation battle? Swansea have 6, how about them? If you can't score goals you won't win games its as simple as that.

It doesn't mean I think we will be relegated it means if you think we are immune from being in that situation then you must be mental. One win in 6 is relegation form. We have the second lowest goals scored in the league. There are issues and they have to be fixed or we will be in that position. It is arrogant to believe we wouldn't if we continue in our same form.

We could carry that form on for the rest of the season and still not go down - 4 points in the last six, carry that on over the next 17 games and we'd be around 35/36 points, meaning only a slight upturn in form in the next five months and we're definitely safe. Four wins from 17 and we'd be safe. We are more than capable of that.

We won't be going down and it's not arrogant to think that.

Stuck in traffic in Burnley. I thought we were quite good. To many crosses with forwards with little bite but we played well. What I did notice and I have seen it a few times, around 70 minutes Puel makes changes but generally when we are looking fluid and the players are engaging. I sore it today, radical came off and we lost some flow.. I don't know if it would have effected the result but I do think it slowed us down in an entertaining game. To the fans booing at the end .. WTF ? One decent striker of VVD stature and we would be battering sides regularly.

Which begs the question why haven't the club addressed the situation you mention in your last sentence? That's probably why the fans are booing.

We could carry that form on for the rest of the season and still not go down - 4 points in the last six, carry that on over the next 17 games and we'd be around 35/36 points, meaning only a slight upturn in form in the next five months and we're definitely safe. Four wins from 17 and we'd be safe. We are more than capable of that.

Not this season, but next, if we still have Puel and he continues playing in the same way, with VvD gone, we will be certs for relegation. Think Puel has to change or go imo

Some people will really take anything. We played football that didn't hurt them like we have most of season. We are 13th now, 4 losses in a row isn't good enough. The football is slow and easy to defend against. We have regressed since last season and board haven't helped either.

The striker needs support so we need to play two up front. Redmond and Tadic mostly on their wrong sides were hopeless, slowed it down, came back across the field all the time, never got to the bye line or managed to pick out an attacker with their scuffed crosses mostly short at defenders, despite having a lot of the ball. Just allowed the defence to mass. How we played against Liverpool.

It's time JWP was permanently binned. Can't Run, beat a man, tackle, shoot or head, his mythical delivery rarely ever troubles defences, his passing is just negative. Hojbjerg was poor and tentative early on but the longer the game went on the better he got, there is a good player in there we need to get him playing. Long had one of his most competent games up front on his own and worked hard but no support, a striker short and no proper service.

Romeu was solid but gave away several needless free kicks, however he had a decent game. The back four was solid but Yoshida didn't look as confident as he was on Wednesday. It looked like a set piece was the only thing that could trouble us except for a break in the last fifteen minutes with VVD staying up front.

The tempo was much better but the set up just looks all wrong. 11 goals from play in 21 league games says it all. We need to get another attacker into midfield with both Long and Rodriguez up front, two defensive midfielders is enough. Tadic and Redmond could play with Rodriguez behind Long but only if they play on their natural sides. Rodriguez looks stronger as he gets more game time.

Agree with all of this. Puel is destroying the offensive side of our game so no surprise we don't score and rarely win away.

I just watched a game where we were the better, more attacking, pleasanter to watch side....we had more possession, shots, corners and we were beaten by a deflection from a free kick. We came up against a well-organised side whose keeper had his second inspired game against us of the season.

I'm not sure what Puell can be blamed for?

It might come as a shock but you do actually have to score to win a game

We have had a whole season of missed opportunities and a **** poor lack of goals

It's so bad that even in a goal scoring opportunity I never expect them to score

Still think we're in the ****. Liverpool was encouraging but no killer instinct. We will limp to c40 points. If we're lucky. I'm a bit concerned tbh. It's not like last year's autumn/winter slump. We had much better players then.

Agree with all of this. Puel is destroying the offensive side of our game so no surprise we don't score and rarely win away.

So that's my problem with him- yes he was badly supported by Reed etc losing Austin hasn't helped.

Why do we persist with the same pattern? You pick a formation to suit your players not shoehorn them into a failing one.

If everything stays as it is then we will survive. Based on all teams keeping the same form etc.

However what you fail to take into account is we still have to play all the bottom three (2 away)If they are improving and we are decreasing at those points then logic says the points gap will decrease. So yes it is arrogant. I remember when Newcastle fans said they were too big to go down...

So that's my problem with him- yes he was badly supported by Reed etc losing Austin hasn't helped.

Why do we persist with the same pattern? You pick a formation to suit your players not shoehorn them into a failing one.

Playing players where they are not comfortable makes them worse. If all the players were in their natural positions playing in a shape that they were comfortable with would make the team much more fluent and speed up the attacking.

I'm totally bored with Puel now and his complete inability to set this team up with any sort of chance to win/draw consistently away from home. He sets us up not to lose when he should be setting us up to try to win. It is utterly negative dross. We have had a few seasons where the coaches appreciated that you have to go all out to win every game including the away matches because getting the three points is a big deal. Puel is incapable of trying to win by going for it away from the comfort of St Marys. The man is like his football - utterly drab and boring. Missed chances and goalkeeping errors don't help but it's the negativity that does for us every time.

+1. Got to get more players forward against bang average sides. No good setting up to keep things tight and hope you nick something. In the time I've been following saints we've rarely been much cop away but it's so predictable that we'll play keep ball but not stick it away. Surely you'd get more points by playing with a little adventure from time to time. I also don't think we've the players to go 4-3-3. I think you need wide men who hunt the ball back properly as a pack to play that properly and ours just don't do it for 90 minutes.

One of the things that has struck me in recent weeks is that Puel seems to over-emphasize support for the ball carrier, especially out wide.

The support closes in too tight, their markers follow, and we effectively take away our own space. Any chance of the angled (and potential killer) through-balls we used to see has gone.

Then we have to turn back and start the process over again, with the same result.

It seems like a never-ending cycle of push up, take away our own space, turn back, start again.

And even if we get something into the box, the defence has had tons of time to organize.

Playing players where they are not comfortable makes them worse. If all the players were in their natural positions playing in a shape that they were comfortable with would make the team much more fluent and speed up the attacking.

You hope but there's no logic or evidence to support your contention, none at all. Grasping straws really.

One of the things that has struck me in recent weeks is that Puel seems to over-emphasize support for the ball carrier, especially out wide.

The support closes in too tight, their markers follow, and we effectively take away our own space. Any chance of the angled (and potential killer) through-balls we used to see has gone.

Then we have to turn back and start the process over again, with the same result.

It seems like a never-ending cycle of push up, take away our own space, turn back, start again.

And even if we get something into the box, the defence has had tons of time to organize.

Yep totally agree I watched Boufal the other week he beat the player looked up 1 in the box checked back played 1-2 we then had 1 in box surrounded by 6 defenders.

Surely it's worth giving Long and Rodriguez a run up front together?

Put balls in channels behind them rather than the stagnant current approach?

miss boufal and austin- funnily enough both our replacements to mane and pelle.

if you took out mane and pelle from last season then there is no chance in hell we would have finished 6th last season.

i mean the chances are promising, but we need quality to replace them. everyone knew that boufal would go to africa (even if injured now), and also everyone knew austin is very injury prone.

Jrod's natural position isn't in the hole, especially with the defensive responsibilities that have come with the position in a 4-2-3-1. Long will always struggle as long as were playing to feet. Both are average players (for different reasons) -regardless of the formation. I could go on.

Your posts smack of the same inflexibility and stubbornness you accuse Puel of.

How are things with you now Bill?

A very good synopsis. playing one footed players on their wrong side is adding to the problem.

One decent striker of VVD stature and we would be battering sides regularly.

Yeah that's pretty much where I am. I don't anything Puel should come under too much criticism until we get a striker in. Today we had more shots, more on target, more crosses, more corners, more possession. Just need a bit more bite up front.

Should have started with Rodriguez instead of Long. I'd have left out Redmond and Tapis and replaced them with Martina and McQueen.

Cedric working with Martina and Bertrand working with McQueen would have given us a far better pentatonic into the box and supplying Rodriguez.

I'm sorry PUEL hasn't a clue how to pick a team that can score goals. It's pathetic that he persists with the same players and substitutions whilst we fall lower and lower down the table.

Yeah that's pretty much where I am. I don't anything Puel should come under too much criticism until we get a striker in. Today we had more shots, more on target, more crosses, more corners, more possession. Just need a bit more bite up front.

Burnley had 33% of their shots "on target".. We had 25%... Stats can say anything... We still lost!!