France training camp

jawillwill

Can we read anything into that team? Long is there even though he was supposedly off to Rangers, Clasie in there still despite supposedly going back to the Netherlands.

Jan is back I wonder if he will displace Hoedt or Stephens at the back in the friendly game?

Cedric and Yoshida still on well-deserved holiday I see. 26 players including 4 keepers (including FF). Only Sims of the younger players, but at least Jones, Flannigan, Valery, Slattery and Vokins got a taster with the first team in China.

I'm going to be staying not far from there. It's a behind closed doors friendly so cant get a ticket but does anybody know if I can jsut rock up and watch as its a sports centre type set up. I seem to remember there being a few people watching last year.

No Valery of Hesketh, which is slightly interesting I suppose!

They are both with the under 23s in Italy

I wonder if that's because Hughes doesn't rate them (Hesketh in particular, as he's been in and around the first team squad for a couple of seasons now) or because the U23s were short of options and got first dibs on them?

Edited by trousers

You can put a fork in hesketh. He's done. Not going to make it at this level.

I'd agree with that. Reminds me very much of Isgrove, always rated and kept on 'just in case', but ultimtley never really a top level player. Same will be the case with Hesketh and probably a couple of others too.

Love the OS telling us Saints are off to Dijon in the south of France.

Would that be the same Dijon that's north west of Geneva...??

Hope they make a better job of finding the net..!!

Edited by The Saint

I'd agree with that. Reminds me very much of Isgrove, always rated and kept on 'just in case', but ultimtley never really a top level player. Same will be the case with Hesketh and probably a couple of others too.

Just had a look at Isgrove's appearances for Barnsley last season. For the games he started, there seems to be a common theme of being subbed off in games they aren't winning. Seems he's struggling to make an impact even in a squad as poor as theirs.

Why is Bednarek back but Cedric isn't? Bednarek played in the Poland game on the 28th June, Portugal's last match was on the 30th and Cedric didn't play!

Too busy posing for topless photos on instagram...

Probably thought “I have had 3 weeks off, I managed to get into the team last season, managed to get into the Polish squad and score in the World Cup - there are a few too many options for my position in the Saints team - might be an idea to get back into pre season and try to secure a more regular berth”.

Well, it's not in the south of France, anyway. I would describe it as in the east of France, or the middle, or central-east. But not the south!

Why is Bednarek back but Cedric isn't? Bednarek played in the Poland game on the 28th June, Portugal's last match was on the 30th and Cedric didn't play!

It doesn't matter whether he played in the final game or not. It will be done from when their tournament ends, they do deserve a holiday. I'd guess Cedric will fly out to France in a couple of days.

If you drive in France then you can't really help noticing that it is the perfect overnight stop from Calais to Nice down the A6. Just about half-way down!. Guess most who work the OS have never set foot on foreign soil except perhaps for the odd shopping trip to Gunwharf Quay. The City itself is beyond a nightmare of one-way streets and impossible to find car parks. Better to stop-over in Beaune. No moutard is grown there nowadays despite the name.

Hey guys.

The team are staying at the Evian Resort Hotel, in Evian les Bains.

I went last year (lived across the water), no one was there and I was able to meet all the players and have a chat to them. Really relaxed.

It's very, very low key. I even walked into the dining area and chatted to Shane Long among others, no one was particularly fussed I was there.

I moved away now but it's one of the more relaxed training camps I've been to where there really are no fans around.

They're not even going to Dijon. Going to Evian, playing at Divonne les Bains. Obviously the work experience kid they let write the article isn't too au fait with anything much.

I'm going to be staying not far from there. It's a behind closed doors friendly so cant get a ticket but does anybody know if I can jsut rock up and watch as its a sports centre type set up. I seem to remember there being a few people watching last year.

I’m assuming this means we won’t be able to watch an online stream of the friendly?

US Divonne website translates as: DIJON FCO, Division 1 team and SOUTHAMPTON, the first English league, will finish their training camp at Divonne and Evian, respectively, with a friendly match on the main course of the Divonne sports complex on Saturday, July 28, 2018, at 15 hours.

The match will be arbitrated by Mr. Willy DELAJOD, referee of Saint-Pierre-en-Faucigny, who has just reached the highest level of French refereeing at age 25, which makes him the youngest divisional referee 1 .

US Divonne website translates as: DIJON FCO, Division 1 team and SOUTHAMPTON, the first English league, will finish their training camp at Divonne and Evian, respectively, with a friendly match on the main course of the Divonne sports complex on Saturday, July 28, 2018, at 15 hours.

The match will be arbitrated by Mr. Willy DELAJOD, referee of Saint-Pierre-en-Faucigny, who has just reached the highest level of French refereeing at age 25, which makes him the youngest divisional referee 1 .

We always get **** refs!

Going by the Facebook live of today’s training session, the intensity is about 50x more compared to vs Derby.

Pretty sure the players were told to take it easy on Saturday.

Re the training session. A few of the players sound like they have attitude problems!

Amazing. Just what we need.

Going by the Facebook live of today’s training session, the intensity is about 50x more compared to vs Derby.

Re the training session. A few of the players sound like they have attitude problems!

Redmond and Bertrand should have their own tv series.

As I haven’t seen it what makes you say that

Is it me or are these bloody refs getting younger like coppers??!!!! :D

It's crazy he's never been loaned out. Send him to MK Dons under Tisdale for a season & see how he does.

. Better to stop-over in Beaune.

Nooo. It's dangerous. If you like wine and are a bit skint, that is. Still, the Leclerc just of the autoroute is handy for a petrol fill and they've even got some slow points for EVs. Thanks for the tip about Dijon, although isn't that the same for most big French cities? I fancy going to the women's world cup next year so may need to get some gen. Window Cleaner is somewhere near Moulins (I think) but I'm not sure the board has got much coverage elsewhere in France.

Nooo. It's dangerous. If you like wine and are a bit skint, that is. Still, the Leclerc just of the autoroute is handy for a petrol fill and they've even got some slow points for EVs. Thanks for the tip about Dijon, although isn't that the same for most big French cities? I fancy going to the women's world cup next year so may need to get some gen. Window Cleaner is somewhere near Moulins (I think) but I'm not sure the board has got much coverage elsewhere in France.

I don't know if it's still there but the wine cooperative in Beaune is worth a visit. Basically you pay for a wine tasting and when you've been round once then you can go back and drink as much as you want. Had about 30 odd wines to taste when I went there. Actually quite educational, going through the different grapes and locations.

Cheers. I don't know much about Burgundy, and mainly disappointments when I've spent more but I once opened a cheapish bottle from a shop in St Vaast near Cherbourg (!)and kept under my stairs for some years and it was so good I rushed round the neighbours to share a glass.

I'm dahn saff, right on the Med.

Don't know that much about wine, but I enjoy making regular visits to my local co-operative in an effort to improve my knowledge.

They do some right good rosé in the next village and Picpoul de Pinet is produced right on my doorstep.

It's hell down here, you wouldn't like it....

Edited by The Saint

That refs a ****

Don't know that much about wine, but I enjoy making regular visits to my local co-operative in an effort to improve my knowledge.

They do some right good rosé in the next village and Picpoul de Pinet is produced right on my doorstep.

Ta! I saw a sparkling Picpoul blend the other day in Aldi or Lidl, of all places; I nearly bought a bottle but need to make space first, I've been overdoing my new membership of The Wine Society.. As much as I appreciate the pleasure of en vrac I prefer the quantative safety of bottles..

I probably wouldn't when it's this hot!

Another Southerner here. I'm in Marseille, best known for its pastis (not the Cornish variety) rather than wine. Cote d'aix produces some decent wines, mind.

Heavens, this thread has descended into Wish You Were Here, with trip advisor, food and wine critics .... I'll save this one for a trip to France :)

Good innit? :-) I'm sticking pins in my map of France, and bookmarks in my Wine Atlas, so more contributions welcome. I'm partial to a Muscadet sur Lie and some of the Jura whites but my main wine interest is in ******* wines. I can't mention exactly because it'll upset Turkish, the delicate little flower.

Back on topic, any sign of Lemina yet? I didn't notice Targett in the pics either.