Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

Makes sense and will be far easier to sell the likes of Gallagher, Targett, Reed, Hesketh, McQueen (none of whom are PL quality) than Carillo, Hoedt, Forster etc who we will have to loan out.

These guys will fund the moves we want to make.

Just put a decent sell on clause in (or even a buyback).

Exactly. 100% profit on those sales too.

Makes sense and will be far easier to sell the likes of Gallagher, Targett, Reed, Hesketh, McQueen (none of whom are PL quality) than Carillo, Hoedt, Forster etc who we will have to loan out.

These guys will fund the moves we want to make.

Just put a decent sell on clause in (or even a buyback).

Well yeh those are players who have proven themselves at Championship level for the most part and have some PL experience, plus still all young enough to improve with more game time, plus English lads so less worries over them settling in etc.

So for Championship and newly promoted clubs they are probably decent options, and we are lucky that the Championship is a rich league for a '2nd Division', probably a lot of the richer championship clubs can spend and pay more than most clubs in the bottom half of leagues like Spain and France, as well as more than most clubs in like Holland, Belgium etc.

I'm sorry to see him go without getting an opportunity in the first team. Annoying when you consider the dross we've persevered with elsewhere, in defence, and the non-performing of Austin and Long towards the end of the season on the bench.

But bow to RH's judgement, and it's clear that SG needs to move on. Hope it works for him and that we retain a healthy sell on % in case it comes back to haunt us.

I give you Austin, but how is scoring 4 in the last 7 matches 'non-performing' for Long?

The last 7 games really isn’t a fair representation of Long’s time at Saints, surely?

The person I quoted stated that Long was non-performing at the end of last season. That clearly is untrue. That's all I was saying.

However, Long is one of many who have performed better under Ralph. Or do you deny that?

The last 7 games really isn’t a fair representation of Long’s time at Saints, surely?

I think we have to Judge Long on his performances under Ralph, he wasnt used properly by Puel, Hughes or Pellegrino.

Long is much more suited to the way Ralph wants to play than Austin is and will be a much better option off the bench in Ralphs system than Austin would be IMHO

I think we have to Judge Long on his performances under Ralph, he wasnt used properly by Puel, Hughes or Pellegrino.

Long is much more suited to the way Ralph wants to play than Austin is and will be a much better option off the bench in Ralphs system than Austin would be IMHO

Long is more suited to moving about than Austin, and that's about the sum of it. As for his goals towards the end of the season, he ran into a vein of luck, not a vein of form.

If you want Long to be a significant component of our attack next season, you're inviting another year of frustration. Hopefully with Adams starting and Ings resting on the bench, Long's league appearances next season wont make it into double figures.

Long is more suited to moving about than Austin, and that's about the sum of it. As for his goals towards the end of the season, he ran into a vein of luck, not a vein of form.

If you want Long to be a significant component of our attack next season, you're inviting another year of frustration. Hopefully with Adams starting and Ings resting on the bench, Long's league appearances next season wont make it into double figures.

Give credit where its due. He ran into form. Sure, he ain't ever going to be Harry Kane and I'm not suggesting he should be first pick, but under RH he offers us something and is an asset. I'd much rather have a year of him as an understudy / option than Austin.

Give credit where its due. He ran into form. Sure, he ain't ever going to be Harry Kane and I'm not suggesting he should be first pick, but under RH he offers us something and is an asset. I'd much rather have a year of him as an understudy / option than Austin.

Agreed on the Austin front - his lack of mobility is just too big an impediment these days. As for whether Long played into form or luck, 20% of his season goal tally was down to Kaspar Schmeichel diverting a shot bound for the corner flag into his own net, so I'm sticking with luck.

Agreed on the Austin front - his lack of mobility is just too big an impediment these days. As for whether Long played into form or luck, 20% of his season goal tally was down to Kaspar Schmeichel diverting a shot bound for the corner flag into his own net, so I'm sticking with luck.

Not to mention his:

Daisy cutter hit tamely at the keeper vs Bournemouth, which went in off a big deflection.

Shinning a ball at an awkward angle in a corner melee, to deflect it past Wolves keeper

Catching Cathcart asleep 7 seconds into the Watford game. Fair play for chasing him down but it was a defensive bowler.

I’m with you, he was lucky more than anything and missed plenty of easy chances in the same period.

Not to mention his:

Daisy cutter hit tamely at the keeper vs Bournemouth, which went in off a big deflection.

Shinning a ball at an awkward angle in a corner melee, to deflect it past Wolves keeper

Catching Cathcart asleep 7 seconds into the Watford game. Fair play for chasing him down but it was a defensive bowler.

I’m with you, he was lucky more than anything and missed plenty of easy chances in the same period.

The harder you train the luckier you get!

Not to mention his:

Come on....even that was a nice calm finish even if you don't think he is any good :)

Come on....even that was a nice calm finish even if you don't think he is any good :)

And his finish at Anfield in the Semi at the end of a lung busting run was great. In fact he has scored some really good goals, a sort of latter day Darren Huckerby - scored some great goals without being a great goal scorer. Remarkably similar scoring record actually of circa one in four.

Blackburn bid expected today.

BLACKBURN SET FOR GALLAGHER BID

Blackburn are expected to submit a formal bid for Southampton’s Sam Gallagher today, Sky Sports News understands.

We revealed that Blackburn have been in talks with the Saints since last week – but there is also interest from Wigan.

Southampton want a deal of around £5m for the former England U20 striker, who spent last season on loan at Birmingham City.

Well, he seems to pick up a lot of hamstring and knee/ankle injuries which will probably get more frequent as he gets older, so I don't think £5m is a bad deal if it shifts his alleged £50k/week wages of the bill.

He's a big guy who can run pretty quick, that can put a lot of strain on your joints.

Hoping for at least 7.

5 mill when not even great players go for 30/40/50?! Seems very underpriced for a promising young player

“without getting an opportunity”

He had enough of those to demonstrate that he wasn’t up to it.

Some ‘Happy Clappy’ rose tinted glasses on here with regards to Gallagher’s ability.

He is at best a championship player and by quite a distance not good enough for us.

If the consensus is he’s not a PL player, which Championship teams can afford to pay over £5m for him? Not many I’d wager.

If the consensus is he’s not a PL player, which Championship teams can afford to pay over £5m for him? Not many I’d wager.

Outside of Leeds/Fulham/Boro/Derby I would agree. I know Stephens came from Plymouth but did Sam (born in Credition) come from Plymouth as well? They would be due a % I would have thought if both leave Saints.

Surprised Cedric hasn’t been on the move yet out of all the players expected to move.

Hoping for at least 7.

5 mill when not even great players go for 30/40/50?! Seems very underpriced for a promising young player

“without getting an opportunity”

He had enough of those to demonstrate that he wasn’t up to it.

Some ‘Happy Clappy’ rose tinted glasses on here with regards to Gallagher’s ability.

He is at best a championship player and by quite a distance not good enough for us.

Outside of Leeds/Fulham/Boro/Derby I would agree. I know Stephens came from Plymouth but did Sam (born in Credition) come from Plymouth as well? They would be due a % I would have thought if both leave Saints.

Sam did come from Plymouth.

Solidarity payments apply only up until the season where a player reaches the age of 23. Sam is already 23 (nearly 24), Stephens is 25. Don't think Plymouth will be owed anything if either move on for a fee, at least from a solidarity/training comensation perspective. Of course there could be a transfer fee % in their contract, who knows.

Solidarity payments apply only up until the season where a player reaches the age of 23. Sam is already 23 (nearly 24), Stephens is 25. Don't think Plymouth will be owed anything if either move on for a fee, at least from a solidarity/training comensation perspective. Of course there could be a transfer fee % in their contract, who knows.

Thanks for clarifying Vectis. It makes sense in terms of the £5m fee.

Wish Sam well whatever option he chooses.

Solidarity payments apply only up until the season where a player reaches the age of 23. Sam is already 23 (nearly 24), Stephens is 25. Don't think Plymouth will be owed anything if either move on for a fee, at least from a solidarity/training compensation perspective. Of course there could be a transfer fee % in their contract, who knows.

That is not true, for example Saints would get a FIFA solidarity payment if Gareth Bale for example was sold this summer even though he is 29 years old.

5% of all transfer fees is divided up to all the clubs who trained the player from the season of their 12th birthday and the season of their 23rd birthday. It is 0.25% for each season from 12 to 15 years old and 0.5% for each season from 16 up to 23 years old.

Additionally Plymouth do have a sell on clause for both Gallagher and Stephens.

That is not true, for example Saints would get a FIFA solidarity payment if Gareth Bale for example was sold this summer even though he is 29 years old.

5% of all transfer fees is divided up to all the clubs who trained the player from the season of their 12th birthday and the season of their 23rd birthday. It is 0.25% for each season from 12 to 15 years old and 0.5% for each season from 16 up to 23 years old.

Additionally Plymouth do have a sell on clause for both Gallagher and Stephens.

Nope, you are wrong. FIFA solidarity payments end when a player reaches his 23rd birthday (or at the end of the season he turns 23) unless the transfer is between different national associations (hence Bale would still be covered if he moves away from Spain). Unless Gallagher or Stephens move to a foreign club (Inc Scotland) there is no Solidarity fee.

I said Stephens and Gallagher may have clauses in their contracts, so agree there, not sure how you would know, are you party to their contract details?

So if the fee is £5M we'll raise enough funds to cover Forster and Carillo's wages for a couple of months :mcinnes:

Plus the wages - even the fringe players seem to be on silly money. Agree that Les did enormous damage, no idea what the hell he was doing in his last couple of seasons.

Plus the wages - even the fringe players seem to be on silly money. Agree that Les did enormous damage, no idea what the hell he was doing in his last couple of seasons.

There was no one like NC to control him and when there was, fans didn't like that either.

Should complete his move to Blackburn this weekend

Good spot.

@SamWallaceTel: Southampton striker Sam Gallagher’s protracted move to Blackburn Rovers should go through this weekend. £5m a good price for Saints, who are trimming squad before further signings

The big question is, is anyone else anywhere close to leaving?