Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

Apologies if already posted...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/09/05/danny-ings-line-england-call-up-gareth-southgate-sticks-younger/

"Gareth Southgate is to closely monitor Danny Ings over the next few weeks with a view to calling up the striker for the next England squad."

Well... That worked nicely for Danny given this was his goal.

Apologies if already posted...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/09/05/danny-ings-line-england-call-up-gareth-southgate-sticks-younger/

"Gareth Southgate is to closely monitor Danny Ings over the next few weeks with a view to calling up the striker for the next England squad."

Good on him. He looks sharp and hungry, and he couldn't be any less effective than Rashford/Welbeck IMO.

Good on him. He looks sharp and hungry, and he couldn't be any less effective than Rashford/Welbeck IMO.

If he's fit & playing, I see no reason why he can't get involved.

Welbeck (21 mins) & Lallana (3 mins) both called up after minimal Premier League minutes.

Better to pick regular scoring starters than bit part players. Rashford should be getting more game time at Utd so I more understand picking him, plus he's young and could be very important to England's future, but he shouldn't be picking someone like Wellbeck who consistently fails to get game time and is approaching 28 and is very unlikely to be getting better.

Somebody (hypochondriac or duckhunter or someone?) was going on the other day about all the people who said Ings wasn't good enough. I've really searched this thread and can only find people concerned about his fitness. His quality seems to have been widely agreed on. Good to see everyone in agreement about that. Hope things keep going well for him.

So far his goals have cost Saints $10M a piece. I wonder how many he needs before we start saying "bargain of the season"?

edit: Yes I realize he is on loan right now and I'm not taking wages into consideration but just trying to quantify it somehow.

Edited by OttawaSaint

Somebody (hypochondriac or duckhunter or someone?) was going on the other day about all the people who said Ings wasn't good enough. I've really searched this thread and can only find people concerned about his fitness. His quality seems to have been widely agreed on. Good to see everyone in agreement about that. Hope things keep going well for him.

It was me and the reactions were on the transfer window thread not this one.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The only guarantee in life : Death. Taxes and Austin n Ings picking up lots more injuries

£20m is absolutely mental, you've also got his c£3.5m a year wages so an investment of £34-35m on a guy that's played just a few games in 3-4 years.

Hoped I was wrong....

Is the loan deal with Liverpool a 100% that we have to buy him at the end of the season arrangement?

Pretty sure it is, but I don't suppose we put in any what if he's permanently crocked like he has been foe the last 3 years get out clause in it?

Seemed like it at the time, though from memory the daily echo didn’t mention it as a perm transfer.

Would expect there to be clauses if he gets injured, possibly more of a first refusal than tied in to 100% buying him.

Seemed like it at the time, though from memory the daily echo didn’t mention it as a perm transfer.

Would expect there to be clauses if he gets injured, possibly more of a first refusal than tied in to 100% buying him.

I've got a feeling that a total commitment to buy was a condition of getting him on loan. It was strange, but there were suggestions that cash flow didn't allow immediate purchase.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I thought it was a loan leading to a guaranteed purchase, although you would hope that there was such get out clause built in but that would have been most likely built around his previous injury.

Trouble is we basically "ran the engine with no oil in the sump", he picked up the current injury during a matchday warm up. Yet regardless of technically being someone elses property, instead of looking after it we pretty much abused it so you could pretty much apply "Nice to touch - Nice to hold - If you break it consider it Sold!".

I've got a feeling that a total commitment to buy was a condition of getting him on loan. It was strange, but there were suggestions that cash flow didn't allow immediate purchase.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I thought the suggestion was that it was easier/quicker for the club to get a last minute loan deal over the line with the transfer window closing, rather than haggle over the staggered payments and various particulars required to get a permanent deal signed off for all parties.

Either way, a non-negotiable commitment to make the transfer permanent at the end of the season, for a player with four major knee injuries under his belt who has barely played in two years, sounds like the kind of negligent swivel-eyed madness that is Les Reed's super power.

We could be a Championship club, desperately trying to cut costs, while being forced to pay £20m on a player setting up residence in the treatment room.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I thought the suggestion was that it was easier/quicker for the club to get a last minute loan deal over the line with the transfer window closing, rather than haggle over the staggered payments and various particulars required to get a permanent deal signed off for all parties.

Either way, a non-negotiable commitment to make the transfer permanent at the end of the season, for a player with four major knee injuries under his belt who has barely played in two years, sounds like the kind of negligent swivel-eyed madness that is Les Reed's super power.

We could be a Championship club, desperately trying to cut costs, while being forced to pay £20m on a player setting up residence in the treatment room.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Was this deal negotiated by Theresa May? A possibility for the vacant DOF role.

Guys, are we still moaning about Danny ings? He's popped his knees more than the shamen have popped pills and still he came back and into a shyt side and scored goals. He's easily our sharpest forward. A hamstring injury isn't going to slow him down. Especially if hasenhuttl is all he's cracked up to be. Let's give the lad a break eh? Hee clearly loves the club let's not give him any sh it.

Guys, are we still moaning about Danny ings? He's popped his knees more than the shamen have popped pills and still he came back and into a shyt side and scored goals. He's easily our sharpest forward. A hamstring injury isn't going to slow him down. Especially if hasenhuttl is all he's cracked up to be. Let's give the lad a break eh? Hee clearly loves the club let's not give him any sh it.

Yes, he is the best goal scorer we've got, even if he is going to miss a lot of games through injury. The reason we got our only proven goal scorers, Austin and Ings, was because they were injury-prone. If they hadn't been, we couldn't have afforded them and other clubs would have wanted them so they wouldn't have come here anyway. It means in both cases though, as we are already discovering with Austin, that their careers are not going to last as long as those of less injury-prone players

Yes, he is the best goal scorer we've got, even if he is going to miss a lot of games through injury. The reason we got our only proven goal scorers, Austin and Ings, was because they were injury-prone. If they hadn't been, we couldn't have afforded them and other clubs would have wanted them so they wouldn't have come here anyway. It means in both cases though, as we are already discovering with Austin, that their careers are not going to last as long as those of less injury-prone players

Does remind you a little of the Knackered old Players last pay cheque destination that the Dell became - Thinking of Players like Barry Vennison possibly Kerry Dixon etc. all brought in under a bit of a fanfare...................kick the tyres and the rear view mirror fell off, start the engine and a puff blue smoke came out of the exhaust with a cough and a splutter.

To be fair though Ings should never had started that game, with hindsight probably showed that MH was already under pressure behind the scenes that he decided to throw caution to the wind.

Does remind you a little of the Knackered old Players last pay cheque destination that the Dell became - Thinking of Players like Barry Vennison possibly Kerry Dixon etc. all brought in under a bit of a fanfare...................kick the tyres and the rear view mirror fell off, start the engine and a puff blue smoke came out of the exhaust with a cough and a splutter.

To be fair though Ings should never had started that game, with hindsight probably showed that MH was already under pressure behind the scenes that he decided to throw caution to the wind.

Not forgetting Charlie George. Once you hear the words 'knee problems' associated with a player, it never ends well. On balance, though, perhaps it is better to have them here scoring goals for a few games than some waste of space, who never scores, playing every week. The alternative is to have a scouting and recruitment team and/or manager good enough to spot up and coming players from lower leagues both here and abroad, like Lambert and Mane.

Not forgetting Charlie George. Once you hear the words 'knee problems' associated with a player, it never ends well. On balance, though, perhaps it is better to have them here scoring goals for a few games than some waste of space, who never scores, playing every week. The alternative is to have a scouting and recruitment team and/or manager good enough to spot up and coming players from lower leagues both here and abroad, like Lambert and Mane.

Don’t forget David Hirst and Perry Groves..........

The reason we got our only proven goal scorers, Austin and Ings, was because they were injury-prone. If they hadn't been, we couldn't have afforded them and other clubs would have wanted them so they wouldn't have come here anyway.

Not true. We could have afforded fitter proven goalscorersr But our owners and Les Reed chose not to spend.

He is a top class goal scorer. Ings and Redmond really caused problems for Arsenal today. Redmond obviously had to go off injured but I was surprised Ings was subbed because, although he took a knock too, he still looked full of running. But, Ralph knew what he was doing as Long and Austin came on and conjured up the winner. Every player just looked so much better than they've looked all season. Ings was good when he first arrived but today he looked even better than Arsenal's £60 million striker, Aubameyang.