Hesketh and Flannigan join Burton Albion on loan

SuperSAINT

Also puts to doubt the muppets who think they'd beat us easily. They really wouldn't, if we were to draw them in the cup we'd win with ease. We could name our reserves and still beat them.

It wouldn’t be an easy game, not with our mental frailty. I’d still expect a win.

Good to see. I really do think he can be a big player for us in the future, a bit of Lallana to him. Hopefully without flipping like a burger.

He's done really well there. Took his time to bed in, then took the chances he was given to cement himself in the team.

Now scoring goals, hopefully extends his loan there & he can keep developing.

Thought hesketh played well. Burton should have won by more. Nice assist for one of the goals and should have scored one of his two chances in the second half.

I, like others, have been concerned that he was somewhat lightweight. That said, L2 is pretty physical, so how did he look? Do you think he can develop to play at the top level?

Imagine if we did get relegated and we had the likes of Hesketh, gunn, Stephens, Reed, sims, Gallagher, jwp in our squad. I'd rather watch all of them in the team than the current lot.

Gunn

Valery Stephens Bednarek Targett

JWP Reed Hesketh Sims

Gallagher Obafemi

or something like that. We'd possibly rip sides a new one in League One, not so sure about the Championship. The only thing relegation would be good for, besides blooding youngsters, is culling the deadwood. I'd rather not go down this year, but it's hard to look past it currently.

Gunn

JWP Reed Hesketh Sims

Gallagher Obafemi

or something like that. We'd possibly rip sides a new one in League One, not so sure about the Championship. The only thing relegation would be good for, besides blooding youngsters, is culling the deadwood. I'd rather not go down this year, but it's hard to look past it currently.

We'd do OK with that team. We'd obviously keep a couple of others as well and maybe buy a new rb and striker. I'd genuinely be interested in watching us again with something like that. I won't be watching the game tomorrow as I have better things to do with my time.

Gunn

JWP Reed Hesketh Sims

Gallagher Obafemi

Would be fantastic to be able to support a domestically reared team. The team would need to be blended with older positive influences like Oriel, Davis, Yoshi and Bertrand. Make Southampton Great Again#

• 3 weeks later...
https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/nigel-clough-chelsea-southampton-transfer-2246421

Got to feel for Flannigan. What a horrendous run of injuries he's had.

Nightmare. I think that will be it for him now.

Isn't that 4 serious knee injuries in 3/4 years? He should pursue another career now, otherwise he won't be able to walk when he's older.

• 4 weeks later...
Hesketh just scored to put Burton 1-0 up

It seems that everybody associated with the club is upping their game. Hesketh is a skilful player, whose progress stalled a bit over the last couple of years under the old regime but it would be great to see him back here, playing for our new manager.

Nigel Clough is a world class manager

Not world class but he is certainly an underrated manager, who is particularly good at motivating underdogs in cup matches. He's done a fantastic job in his 14 years at Burton Albion, taking them up from the Northern Premier League all the way to a League Cup semi-final. Remember when he knocked us out of the League Cup to take Sheffield United through to the semi-finals? And he also took them through to the FA Cup semi-finals.

Good luck to Burton in the semi-final. It would be great to see them reach the final.

So, Hesketh scored the third goal (that got them into the qtr-final) and the goal that put them through to the semi?

Impressive.....

He also scored the goal which got them a draw in the league this season at Fratton Park. If that is what ultimately stops Pompey getting promoted, that's another feather in his cap.

It seems that everybody associated with the club is upping their game. Hesketh is a skilful player, whose progress stalled a bit over the last couple of years under the old regime but it would be great to see him back here, playing for our new manager.

Agree with this - Hesketh and Sims are two I'd like to see Ralph put a bit of spit-and-polish on - both have the pace, skill and pressing to do well in a new system. I'd be happy to see them replace Moi and Ward-Prowse in the squad.

Jake now has a bit of a dilemma. Return to Saints in January, or stay at Burton for the semi-final against Citeh.

personally i think he stays there. hes playing regularly and playing pretty well. Reminds of the Lallana mould a little a bit of lower league time did him no harm. Feels like a positive loan at the moment. Needs to be aware we are still looking at him and he needs to be a part of the new direction of teh club but dont see the immediate benefits in bringing him back unless hes really going to be playing first team footy this year

Burton Albion will wait to learn the extent of Jake Hesketh's hamstring injury - and it could have an impact on whether his loan spell is extended.

The Southampton loanee was forced off inside 10 minutes of Albion's 3-1 win over Wycombe Wanderers on Boxing Day after pulling up while chasing a through-ball.

It means Hesketh - with three goals in 23 appearances to his name - is almost certain not to feature for Burton again before the end of his current deal, which expires on January 2.

Burton have been in conversation with the Saints and are keen to keep him to the end of the campaign.

And Nigel Clough says those discussions will continue once they know how long the versatile midfielder could face on the sidelines.

"Yes, we think it's a hamstring," said Clough.

"He's a young player who has played a lot of games, and it's just caught up with him today.

"We'll find out the extent of it in the next few days.

"It's January 2 (when his current deal is up), but we are still talking to Southampton and trying to extend it if we can.

"That'll be ongoing once we find out how serious it is."

Source: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/jake-hesketh-injury-update-burton-2365395