End of an era - the last man to play at the Dell retires

Fitzhugh Fella

I think I am right in saying that as Exeter's Matthew Oakley has just announced he is hanging up his boots, there is no one else currently turning out in professional British football who played at The Dell.

Soon the number of Saints fans who never visited the Dell will be in the majority and yet MLT's winning goal only seems like yesterday to me.

I remember being at The Dell when Len Wilkins played his last game before retiring to live in Canada, which must have been in the late 1950's and also remember a Cup game v Blackpool when Stanley Matthews played and a Blackpool supporting duck paraded before the game

Wonder if anyone on here can remember seeing Charlie Wayman turning out for the Saints at The Dell?

It is sobering to realise that us Dell attendees will soon be in the minority

[h=2]End of an era - the last man to play at the Dell retires[/h]I think I am right in saying that as Exeter's Matthew Oakley has just announced he is hanging up his boots, there is no one else currently turning out in professional British football who played at The Dell.

Soon the number of Saints fans who never visited the Dell will be in the majority and yet MLT's winning goal only seems like yesterday to me.

Gareth Barry played at The Dell.

I remember being at The Dell when Len Wilkins played his last game before retiring to live in Canada, which must have been in the late 1950's and also remember a Cup game v Blackpool when Stanley Matthews played and a Blackpool supporting duck paraded before the game

Wonder if anyone on here can remember seeing Charlie Wayman turning out for the Saints at The Dell?

Sure do - my Dad first took me to The Dell in 1946 (I was 7) and Charlie Wayman was, of course, a real hero.

As for Matt Oakley, always enjoyed seeing him play and at the age of 39 I`m sure he`s deserved his retirement. I thank him and wish him well.

Someone asked if anyone remembers Charlie Wayman at the Dell. Of course! He was every boy's hero. I got his autograph so many times it filled a book. On about the 20th time he spoke for the first time and said 'have I seen you before?' I was thrilled. Was anyone there the time he scored 5 against Leicester City? Better than Kane any day, he could only get four.

I don't think Defoe did. He made his debut in 2000 for West Ham, and doesn't look like he featured in our home game against them.

He may not have played, but we have a possible contender from our current squad - Stuart Taylor!

Alex Manninger, John Terry, Paul Robinson (GK), Shay Given, Wes Brown, Joe Cole are other ones.

Not sure if any of them will still be playing next season though!

Edit: Just seen the post before has also come with a few of these.

I don't think Defoe did. He made his debut in 2000 for West Ham, and doesn't look like he featured in our home game against them.

He may not have played, but we have a possible contender from our current squad - Stuart Taylor!

Alex Manninger, John Terry, Paul Robinson (GK), Shay Given, Wes Brown, Joe Cole are other ones.

Not sure if any of them will still be playing next season though!

Edit: Just seen the post before has also come with a few of these.

Was Wes Brown the last person to score at the Dell still playing?

Le Tizz's final goal

One of the great memories of my time at the Dell.

Probably ranks just above the 3-3 draw v Nottm Forest in 1963 and the 9-3 walloping against Wolves

There are many more but the timing and quality of the goal by arguably our best ever player brings back the emotions of the time

Yes a winning goal against Arsenal is sure to be special but that one in the last minute of the last Dell match and also Le Tiss' one hundredth was straight from Boys Own, it was the stuff of dreams. Many great memories from the Dell but that last one was as good as any

As an aside, I have just seen Perry Groves on Celebrity Eggheads apologising to Southampton fans for being a "waste of money".

He's said that lots of times on the radio, and it's in his autobiography. It's virtually his catchphrase.

I think I am right in saying that as Exeter's Matthew Oakley has just announced he is hanging up his boots, there is no one else currently turning out in professional British football who played at The Dell.

The Arsenal goalkeeper that day was Alex Manninger. He's still playing.

Others that played at the Dell that season and are still going: Wes Brown, Paul Robinson, Michael Carrick, Gareth Barry, John Terry and Shay Given.

Just a thought...Did our Stuart Taylor ever play there for an opposition? Also I think Richard Wright is still around somewhere.

I think he played for Villa against us at The Dell, or might have been Arsenal. Recollection is that he didn't have much to do, and we lost 4-0.

I remember back at The Dell Matt was trying to get a regular place in the team, one fan behind me shouted, '' Oh come on Matt, I'm really trying to like you, but you're making it so hard like you!''

Credit to Matt and played until he is 39.

And always played in red and white stripes!!

I remember back at The Dell Matt was trying to get a regular place in the team, one fan behind me shouted, '' Oh come on Matt, I'm really trying to like you, but you're making it so hard like you!''

Credit to Matt and played until he is 39.

And always played in red and white stripes!!

Must have missed Leicester changing their kit.

If you mean fans that have attended the Dell, then if you were say 6 in 2001, you would be only 22 now....