Thank god this season is done

washsaint

This last game sums up the misery of this season. Glad it's all over - Ralph did what he needed but my god, he has a challenge on in the summer.

Utterly forgettable season again and we have an absolutely dire squad. Another season of struggle beckons next season without a radical overhaul of the squad.

Absolutely. I know people will say the last few games didn't matter but I'd have expected better results from the run-in that we had. 6 points from 6 games against, Wolves, Newcastle, Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham and Huddersfield is very poor. A major overhaul is definitely needed. The last 2 seasons have been ****e.

^ agreed. Another forgettable season for sure.

Those crisitising RH for finishing 16th need to remember that he wasn't manager the full season.

In fact if you look at the table since he arrived we would actually be 15th!!

Big clear out needed. Same position as a year ago. But we now have RH over Hughes and importantly no Les Reed killing us.

Onwards and upwards

Poor end to the season

But the job was done a couple of weeks ago and that was the main aim for Ralph.

I have no doubt that we would be bottom of the league had the 'stuck' with Hughes.

Ralph looks like a good manager but he does prefer 4222 formation. We clearly do not have the players to play it

and despite what the dinlows say here, we require a decent chunk of changes to the side and actually sign some quality, to break into the top 10 next season.

Yep, these last few games have underlined what a painfully average set of players we have at the moment and also what a great job Ralph has managed to do in the second half of the season to drag us out of the mire.

The positive thing is nobody at the club should be under any illusions now about the amount of work that needs doing to the squad if we want to become a decent top half prem side again. I have faith in Ralph but he will need good support from above in the summer if we are to progress much next season.

Not a great season for various reasons, imo. That's not just with my saints hat on, but there is something fundamentally wrong with a league where 2nd/3rd place are separated by 25 points and 6th/7th by 11 points. Can't see that changing any time soon, the big boys really didn't take kindly to Leicester spoiling their cartel at all, did they....

Two more games we would be down! Form has gone totally since that wolves game culminating in home draws with udders and a bournemouth team that have been on the beach for months

We need a complete overhaul and to cut out the many mistakes we make to keep giving leads away.

Desire and urgency went once we won a game that made us virtually safe, shock horror!

Sitting in the car, glad I’ve got to drive home because I wouldn’t want a beer in Wetherspoons after such a miserable afternoon.

OK, so the Huddersfield goal was down to a silly mistake by Gunn, but the performance was dire. Ralph can only play the players he has and it’s worth remembering that when he came here, Saints were below Huddersfield in the table.

The club has to unload half the squad at least and rebuild from the ground up.

^ agreed. Another forgettable season for sure.

Those crisitising RH for finishing 16th need to remember that he wasn't manager the full season.

In fact if you look at the table since he arrived we would actually be 15th!!

Big clear out needed. Same position as a year ago. But we now have RH over Hughes and importantly no Les Reed killing us.

Onwards and upwards

Well 15th is still dire.

Man city have picked up more points (198) in two season than we have in last 4 seasons (184)

They have also scored more in 2 seasons (197) that we have in 4 seasons (182)

They have also spent the best part of a billion pounds since the Arabs took over !

Not exactly a ‘like for like’ comparison, eh ??

A few positives today. Redmond... spectacular. Ings, some promising touches and constantly fighting to win the ball... just not clinical in front of goal. But given we're stuck w him, I felt a little happier at what i saw today. Long also some great interplay, just not in the penalty area. Valery, a couple of glorious moments. I like our midfield. And when our defense is healthy, Bednarek, Vest, and Yosh are a strong base. So... i don't think the rebuilding project is quite as hard as some make out. The main thing we need: a striker with killer instinct.

A few positives today. Redmond... spectacular. Ings, some promising touches and constantly fighting to win the ball... just not clinical in front of goal. But given we're stuck w him, I felt a little happier at what i saw today. Long also some great interplay, just not in the penalty area. Valery, a couple of glorious moments. I like our midfield. And when our defense is healthy, Bednarek, Vest, and Yosh are a strong base. So... i don't think the rebuilding project is quite as hard as some make out. The main thing we need: a striker with killer instinct.

Pretty much every team needs a striker with killer instinct and ones who can do it in the PL are rare. I’m not sure it’s a realistic thing to hope for. Obviously it’s possible and would be brilliant if we could, but I think we’re better off focusing on a type of striker to suit our style of play. Is that a quick striker who doesn’t have the first touch or eye for goal of a Shlong, or one who can hold the ball up and be a threat from crosses?

While I agree that there are some players in the squad who are decent enough, I also don’t look at the same players you’ve listed and think they are excellent. They’re just ‘ok’. Even our best players don’t ooze a different class - Hojbjerg is arguably one of our better players but if we put him up for sale who would be interested? I’d say at best Everton/Wolves, hardly a glowing representation of our squad if we have hopes of matching those clubs next season.

The main thing is we stayed up and now have a manager who is capable of getting more rather than less out of a group of players. That in itself isn’t enough, but it is the single most important piece of the puzzle.

Edited by mrfahaji

Not at the game but the response says it all.

This side is unfortunately the end result of Reeds influence over the last few years and we are now left with the dregs of a squad and a big majority of them not worth a bean.

The damage done is going to take some time and investment to put right, whether or not Gao is up to it or not god knows. I am not exactly optimistic.

**** me more whinging fans - this forum is the dictionary definition of a half glass empty. Enjoy the Summer and let Ralph get on with his job.

- - - - me more glass full when clearly it is empty. Say it as it is, today was really poor again - no ifs, no buts just poor....

You are not a better fan if you try to dress that up as something more positive than that.

And when our defense is healthy, Bednarek, Vest, and Yosh are a strong base. So... i don't think the rebuilding project is quite as hard as some make out.

Delusional. Vestergaard can't play in a back four because he can't move. Bednarek has been all right - but is again wildly exposed in a back four due to poor mobility. No defence in the history of football with Yoshida in it has ever been described as a "strong base".

Given that Hasenhuttl wants to play a back four, the fact that two centre backs don't have the attributes for it, and the other barely qualified as our third choice in the days when we had good defenders, I'd say the rebuild (not that I have any faith in it happening) is going to be extremely hard.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

People thinking a top 10 finish is near are deluded today was bad and shows we are light years away from 12th let alone top 10, tough job coming up but maybe with a few better players next year we may get to this point. one things for sure with this lot is the blind panic in the whole team with a simple punt up field good luck Ralph.

That's the third dire season thanks to the management recruitment after Koeman left us, hard to stay interested to travel and watch a lot of the dross,last week at West Ham and today being typical of the season.

We need a leader in defence and a goal scorer and no more "water carriers".

Now we have Ralph on board we are due a decent season next time around. Unlike the previous three incumbents , I think we can put our trust in the manager and his efforts over the summer recruiting / shipping out and a strong hard working pre season.

Delusional. Vestergaard can't play in a back four because he can't move. Bednarek has been all right - but is again wildly exposed in a back four due to poor mobility. No defence in the history of football with Yoshida in it has ever been described as a "strong base".

Given that Hasenhuttl wants to play a back four, the fact that two centre backs don't have the attributes for it, and the other barely qualified as our third choice in the days when we had good defenders, I'd say the rebuild (not that I have any faith in it happening) is going to be extremely hard.

Spot on. None of our CBs are really good enough, but I have little faith that we'll be able to do much about it. If RH wants to play 4-2-2-2 and we can only make one CB signing, it'll need to be someone quick, with great leadership qualities, who also never, ever gets injured.

We don't have one player I'd be that unhappy about losing. Not one.

I've read occasionally people saying that PEH/JWP/Bednarek/Redmond are good, but they aren't good. We know they aren't good, we've had them a while and they have never stood out until the rest of the team was sufficiently poor to make "average" look good. Ralph has very little to work with and I can't imagine he'll be able to rebuild enough to make a huge difference next season. This is going to take a bit just to raise us from a poor team to an average team.

Nail on the head regarding our CB options.

Massive improvement needed there and the amount of points we've dropped from winning positions throughout the season proves this.

Thank god it's over. That's all I can say.

Get rid of the majority and start again, it's the only way to fix it. Sadly, we will struggle to get anyone to take them as they're so bad and paid so much!

God, what a mess.

There was nothing positive in what I saw today, one of the worst displays of the season. If that's the standard, then we'll be following Huddersfield.

Defence for me is where the big problems are. Yoshida is a decent squad player, but play him regular and you do leak goals. Bednerak is decent, but needs better and more mobile players around him. I'd say we need a RB, and at least one, if not two quick/powerful CB's in the summer who are suited to this league.

Long is just average, has a purple patch every couple of years, but we need to be tough on guys like him. Is he really good enough? Sadly, for all his running and effort, his quality is very poor. Ings needs to step up very, very quickly for me - really want to like him, but I'm finding it very hard to enjoy his displays - if we didn't have an obligation to buy him I'd hand him back to Liverpool in the morning.

Fans are not completely blameless in this whole mess.

During all the Les Reed sales, duff replacements and during all the manager hires and fires and horrible performances, not a single protest or grumble at the board.

Too polite, weak or just simply lack energy, ambition and passion on and off the pitch.

As demonstrated on this forum it's frowned upon even now to critisise anything SFC.

The weak "happy to have a club" fans have the club they've allowed.

Fans are not completely blameless in this whole mess.

During all the Les Reed sales, duff replacements and during all the manager hires and fires and horrible performances, not a single protest or grumble at the board.

Too polite, weak or just simply lack energy, ambition and passion on and off the pitch.

As demonstrated on this forum it's frowned upon even now to critisise anything SFC.

The weak "happy to have a club" fans have the club they've allowed.

Yes but you, Cabbage Face and all your other sign ons do nothing but criticise. That is what makes you all so tedious.

Perhaps stop being a "fan" and become a "supporter". The clue is in the name.

Yes but you, Cabbage Face and all your other sign ons do nothing but criticise. That is what makes you all so tedious.

Perhaps stop being a "fan" and become a "supporter". The clue is in the name.

FYI you can support the club without supporting the way it's managed.

You don't have to be sappy, weak and submissive with all things SFC to be a fan

FYI you can support the club without supporting the way it's managed.

You don't have to be sappy, weak and submissive with all things SFC to be a fan

…. and all your posts only criticise the way that the club is managed ?????

…. and all your posts only criticise the way that the club is managed ?????

You and many others remained completely silent during the clubs poor "management". You're now venting and looking for someone to blame.

You have the SFC you've allowed.

The real "fans" have been happy to sit silently and allow the clubs decline.

The "trolls" have been angry, frustrated and vocal

MLK: lives begin to end the day we become silent on things that matter.

Get a decent goalscorer and those draws turn into wins, we move up the table and fans are happy(ish).

Ralph didn't do a good job this season - he did a near miraculous one. We were on the verge of being cut adrift by a long way when he came, 9 points at the half way point was looking quite possible when Hughes was sacked. He steadied the ship very quickly, got us playing with energy and enthusiasm and managed to squeeze a few decent performances from the team.

I think next season will be a lot better - as long as Ralph stays + he has a decent kitty to spend.

You and many others remained completely silent during the clubs poor "management". You're now venting and looking for someone to blame.

You have the SFC you've allowed.

The real "fans" have been happy to sit silently and allow the clubs decline.

The "trolls" have been angry, frustrated and vocal

MLK: lives begin to end the day we become silent on things that matter.

As per every home game this season, I was sat in the Kingsland with ‘real fans’ who have opinions (sometimes positive, sometimes negative but always supportive) !

Trolls like you do the club a disservice and do not share the passion and dedication of those who truly care !

Take a look in the mirror some day and ask yourself if you really are a Saints fan because many posters on here suspect that you are not !!

Ps. Hopefully you had a cheeky bet on a 1-1 draw today !

Some ups and downs, ups were definitely beating Spurs and Arsenal , actually winning some home games.

Lows - some unbelievably shlte performances, Cardiff home / away, Huddersfield home, going out of both cups on pens and missing out of an away day to Accrington Stanley, we've got some very average players in the squad, tragic waste of wages with players out on loan and over reliance on youngsters from the academy, lucky Valery was able to step up