Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

Agree with most of what you say above, we do need some big surgery. Sadly, it will mainly depend on who we can shift as Gao will have no intention of putting finances in for us, or releasing the wage bill - so we will have to generate it.

I think Clasie will end up going on a minimal deal, couple of mill. However, the likes of Ely, Hoedt, Cedric, Carillo, Forster, Boufal, Stephens, Austin will be where our headaches are I think. It's not so much the fees they will bring in, it's the wages they consume at the moment.

So as much as I'm excited by what Ralph can do, I'm also prepared for him to start becoming very frustrated when it's evident he really won't be able to do what he needs to do with us. I have no faith in the ownership or scouting and recruitment at this club.

Yup pretty much agree with SNSUN. Wouldn't be upset with getting rid of Armstrong and Lemina either, as the latter should have some sell on value and large wages. Think we'd be ok with one more first choice DM/CM and then Romeu, Hojbjerg, JWP, Reed to fight for 2 of the other positions.

Would like the AM to be a quick player too, probably more in the mould of Mane than an Armstrong/Elyounoussi type. Any news on that Senegalese chap we apparently bid £20m for?

Would agree with SNSUN above with the proviso that the new midfielders have pace. JWP, PH and R look lumbering at times especially towards the end of the game. Ralph has also indicated that coaching staff will change and based on performances over the season a GK coach seems a priority for starters with a good sports physcologist that can overcome the lack of concentration/errors that has cost us so many points.

Yup pretty much agree with SNSUN. Wouldn't be upset with getting rid of Armstrong and Lemina either, as the latter should have some sell on value and large wages. Think we'd be ok with one more first choice DM/CM and then Romeu, Hojbjerg, JWP, Reed to fight for 2 of the other positions.

Would like the AM to be a quick player too, probably more in the mould of Mane than an Armstrong/Elyounoussi type. Any news on that Senegalese chap we apparently bid £20m for?

Djenepo is from Mali not Senegal, no updates on him in the media recently.

Agree with most of what you say above, we do need some big surgery. Sadly, it will mainly depend on who we can shift as Gao will have no intention of putting finances in for us, or releasing the wage bill - so we will have to generate it.

I think Clasie will end up going on a minimal deal, couple of mill. However, the likes of Ely, Hoedt, Cedric, Carillo, Forster, Boufal, Stephens, Austin will be where our headaches are I think. It's not so much the fees they will bring in, it's the wages they consume at the moment.

So as much as I'm excited by what Ralph can do, I'm also prepared for him to start becoming very frustrated when it's evident he really won't be able to do what he needs to do with us. I have no faith in the ownership or scouting and recruitment at this club.

Sums it up nicely.

I'm expecting 3/4 players in and nothing more. And if recent years are to go by, they are going to be relatively cheap. I don't have a problem with that. We're in the business of 'polishing gems', and that's worked for us in the past.

I think we need to distinguish between what we want to happen this summer, and what is likely to happen. 'Realistically, we aren't signing a new CM, GK or more than one CB. An addition to Romeu would be great, but with JWP, PH, Lemina, Slattery (even Armstrong), it's one of the positions we're stocked in. Can't see us putting a chunk of our budget to a position that we don't desperately need.

I think it will be RB, CB, ST. A new AM will depend on whether Ralph takes to Boufal (and vice-versa).

Every decent team has a strong spine. Our CM is pretty good, but we need to harden up central defence and upfront. Under Poch it was Lovren/Fonte - Wanyama/Schneiderlin (Cork) - Lambert (Hit or miss Osvaldo). With Koeman it was Fonte/Toby/VVD - Schneiderlin/Wanyama/Romeu - Pelle.

We need to get that right in the summer.

I can't see us bringing in loads of players people wanting 5 or more new signings are going to be disappointed I think the club are already committed to buying Ings and I doubt there will be loads in the kitty after that. There are plenty to move on but that's easier said than done given PL wages and how poor most of them are. I suspect we are only going to get a couple of new signings this summer if that's the case a good striker is the main one for me after that we need another right back I quite like Valery but if he gets injured we are reduced to playing JWP (or Stephens) there.

Personally I think midfield is OK especially if Lemina can get fit, a back three of Vest, Yoshida and Jan Bednarek is workable, the goal keepers are good enough. Upfront we are gash though Ings is ok but can't be relied on, Long and Austin are past their sell by date that leaves Redmond is our main attacking threat and we need more up front.

In an ideal world their would be a lot of outs and some good quality players coming in. In the real saints world, I suspect, Ralph will have to perform miracles again with much the same team with a couple of new faces.

Keep ings and get rid of Vestagard? Don’t think so mate.

We might not have choice re: Ings and I was saying getting rid of Vestergaard, just suggesting that he lacks mobility given the current line up of CBs for RH's preferred system. He's better than Stephens certainly, but would need a quick partner in a four. Yoshi has decent pace but would need an upgrade if we can move Stephens on with Yoshi as the cover (he has to be first XI at present). Given that we seem to have to sell to you, Vestergaard might be an asset to use if Stephens can't be moved on quickly.

Forgive a footballer for going to another club. Yeah, terrible.

Remember hearing the same pathetic crap from grown men about Alan Ball until he died.

Wasnt quite just “going to another club” was it?

He was captain and said he wanted to retire a saint a few weeks before throwing a strop and forcing a move to Liverpool, but refused to hand in a transfer request.

Alot of the players we want rid will be loans you'd think.

So then you've got to think where we generate the hard cash to improve the team especially as we've likely already spent a large chunk of next season's money on Ings.

We might small fees for the likes of reed/Gallagher.

Targett, I think he's an ok backup player but he'll 24 by next season he may be moved on with someone like Vokins progressed if we get another bid for him like we did from Fulham.

Stephens, If we are after another centre back and unless he has a redmond style bounce back you'd think he's the someone that will be moved on if we can cash for him.

Mccarthy, If Ralph has decided Gunn's his first choice, having a player in his prime, who's been called up for england in past may well entice a juicy bid from someone

Top 3 priorities

No 1 (striker)

No 2 (centre back)

No 3 (attacking mid)

Wasnt quite just “going to another club” was it?

He was captain and said he wanted to retire a saint a few weeks before throwing a strop and forcing a move to Liverpool, but refused to hand in a transfer request.

Lets not forget the photo of him signing a Liverpool shirt whilst still under contract to us.

Do we know he even did that? Football is a business and he's an employee. I'd welcome him back at a reasonable price.

Seeing as he’s publicly said he regrets the way he left, I’d say it was all true yes.

Retain - Redmond, JWP, Bednarek, Ings (we have to but remember how good he was in the first half of the season before the Conference South training standards pre-RH caught up with him after being used to Liverpool), PEH, Valery, Bertrand, Gunn, Romeu, Sims, Slattery, Obafemi, Yoshida as back up.

Undecided - McCarthy, Vestergaard (realistically we won’t sell the latter, and not sell the former through choice), Reed.

Realistic prospect of selling/mutual termination - Lemina, Cedric, Jordi, Charlie, Targett, Stephens, Long

Sell if buyer can be found, if not loan out - Moi, Hoedt, Forster, Gallagher

Agree with all of this other than I would retain Vest and Long (the latter has one year left on contract and would tell him he has until Xmas to get an extension)

I'm expecting 3/4 players in and nothing more. And if recent years are to go by, they are going to be relatively cheap. I don't have a problem with that. We're in the business of 'polishing gems', and that's worked for us in the past.

I think we need to distinguish between what we want to happen this summer, and what is likely to happen. 'Realistically, we aren't signing a new CM, GK or more than one CB. An addition to Romeu would be great, but with JWP, PH, Lemina, Slattery (even Armstrong), it's one of the positions we're stocked in. Can't see us putting a chunk of our budget to a position that we don't desperately need.

I think it will be RB, CB, ST. A new AM will depend on whether Ralph takes to Boufal (and vice-versa).

Every decent team has a strong spine. Our CM is pretty good, but we need to harden up central defence and upfront. Under Poch it was Lovren/Fonte - Wanyama/Schneiderlin (Cork) - Lambert (Hit or miss Osvaldo). With Koeman it was Fonte/Toby/VVD - Schneiderlin/Wanyama/Romeu - Pelle.

We need to get that right in the summer.

Yep, and a decent CB (or two) is for me the biggest priority

Chances of a firesale to reduce Gao's debt further, with a few average sops brought in for peanuts? Mid to good.
fire sale? not sure who / how much we would get once you factor in replacements and agents fees for buying / selling so pretty pointless to be honest.

Peter Crouch is out of contract. could be worth a punt, if only to make sure he doesn't play against us, I hate playing against him, always causes havoc in the area. could be good for our defenders to train against too.

I think I might even be serious.

Watching Villa last night, I thought Mings was excellent at CB. We could certainly do a lot worse than taking at look at him (Stephens and Hodet as an example). Quick, strong and good on the ball would also offer good cover at LB.

Certainly not the leader at the back we need (I’d take him and another at CB), but would improve us without a doubt.

Watching Villa last night, I thought Mings was excellent at CB. We could certainly do a lot worse than taking at look at him (Stephens and Hodet as an example). Quick, strong and good on the ball would also offer good cover at LB.

Certainly not the leader at the back we need (I’d take him and another at CB), but would improve us without a doubt.

32 games in 4 years? Injury prone or just not picked?

32 games in 4 years? Injury prone or just not picked?
Yes.

Mings has done his ACL at least twice, and when he has played for Bournemouth, he's been pretty shocking. And ill disciplined - got a long ban for stamping on Ibrahimovich's head. So they've generally not selected him unless they had to.

Moving down to the championship, he seems to have found his level. Not saying he's much worse than our collection of catastrophes, but he's not likely to be an improvement.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Chances of a firesale to reduce Gao's debt further, with a few average sops brought in for peanuts? Mid to good.

I'm sure clubs are just lining up to offer us money for our talented super stars. Teams across the league are probably casting envious eyes over our fantastic players thinking just what an improvement these, almost relegated twice in two seasons, players would make to their squads....

Edited by doddisalegend

A firesale, with a few average sops brought in, would improve our squad significantly. I'd be very happy with this. The only players we have who would be difficult to replace would be hojberg and redmond.

Fire sale lol does he need £20 that badly

Who do you think we could sell we finished 16th

Yet we don’t want hardly anyone from the relegated clubs!!

There are probably 2-3 players with value.

The rest we will struggle due to wages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/celtic-rangers-and-southampton-battle-for-charlton-athletics/1rtamjdbvea8e117sf714werp1

Joe Aribo linked again. Available on a free.

5live last night mentioned that Man City were keen on him as a squad player so he must have something about him.

Worth a watch in the Playoffs and low risk signing so could be a good option for us - no real downside.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/celtic-rangers-and-southampton-battle-for-charlton-athletics/1rtamjdbvea8e117sf714werp1

5live last night mentioned that Man City were keen on him as a squad player so he must have something about him.

Worth a watch in the Playoffs and low risk signing so could be a good option for us - no real downside.

Just saw this link as well, Dusic. Has definitely been mentioned before.

GOAL report Rangers, Celtic interested too.

Would much rather have Tomori from Derby

Was he linked before then? Excellent if that's the case. When I posted about him on here previously I didn't think we'd be looking, assuming that story is accurate (more likely just an agent drumming up trade). He's a real talent. The best player in League 1 if you ask me. A two league jump would be no mean feat, but at worst we could loan him out for a season. Got to grab him now.

Was he linked before then? Excellent if that's the case. When I posted about him on here previously I didn't think we'd be looking, assuming that story is accurate (more likely just an agent drumming up trade). He's a real talent. The best player in League 1 if you ask me. A two league jump would be no mean feat, but at worst we could loan him out for a season. Got to grab him now.

Yeah, he was def linked last season.

He's an interesting one because, like you say, it's a BIG jump up from 2 leagues down.

Yeah, he was def linked last season.

He's an interesting one because, like you say, it's a BIG jump up from 2 leagues down.

So was Dele Alli though... all comes down to opportunity, 1st team exposure and the quality of the coach. Must be worth a punt