Mark Hughes

arfurdent

Cortese didn't have football knowledge.

But what he lacked in football knowledge he made up for with ambition, grit and a determination not to bend over for the top 7 clubs.

That all crumpled when he left and wet Leslie took charge

This.

The way he rebuffed Arsenal when they came sniffing around for Chamberlin was very impressive. He certainly showed them how smaller clubs should handle things when the big clubs come in for one their players.

This.

The way he rebuffed Arsenal when they came sniffing around for Chamberlin was very impressive. He certainly showed them how smaller clubs should handle things when the big clubs come in for one their players.

As opposed to Les getting mugged off by only accepting a world record fee for a defender.

As opposed to Les getting mugged off by only accepting a world record fee for a defender.
to be fair the thickest negotiator would have seen how we had Liverpool by the nuts. They were about to get 120m for a player and needed VVD at almost any cost.The transfer fee never really comes out, I doubt we got 75mfor him, its all smoke and mirrors. The club want to appease the fans a tad by saying 'well we got a world record fee' and Liverpool will make their fans feel good by saying 'well we paid a world record fee'

Its what is in the books that the VAT and tax is eventually paid that really counts, not what is put out in the media. Saying that I think the club do get decent prices for the players, but from my standpoint when clubs have gone for Everton players they have made it very difficult ,wheras I get the perception that clbs don't believe it when we say a player is not for sale

This.

Don't get me wrong I think Cortese and Reed had very similar approaches to transfers

If players didn't want to be here and couldnt see the vision I think both were happy to part ways with players.

Let's compare.....

Cortese

Chamberlin

Reed

Lallana (captain)

Mopo

Koeman

Shaw

Morgan

Wanyama

Mane

Jay

Koeman

VVD (captain)

Lovren

Lambert

Clyne

Cork

Chambers

Fonte (captain)

Pelle

Thats your “football” man vs non football man.

The future of executive director Les Reed is also likely to depend on talks with the Gao family about his ongoing control over the football operation.

So far, the Gaos have had complete faith in the existing executive team to drive the club’s direction and transfer strategy.

Putting 2+2 together and making 5 I would interpret "so far" as "not any longer". After all they have only really had a chance to see our transfer strategy in action in the January window. They've had plenty of time since then to assess it's effect.

If club wants Hughes and Hughes wants to stay then maybe it's only the decision on LR that is delaying things. If I was MH I'd like to think I had enough experience in British football to not need to defer to LR or any other DoF

Soft southerners mention again not fact that we are a provincial club with less support.

Well perhaps we are a soft touch now, but we don't have a strong person dealing with transfers. In which case we may pay more than we should (Carrillo) but can still get a good fee VVD.

mixed feelings I know but quite often reading some threads that is what we get.

to be fair the thickest negotiator would have seen how we had Liverpool by the nuts. They were about to get 120m for a player and needed VVD at almost any cost.The transfer fee never really comes out, I doubt we got 75mfor him, its all smoke and mirrors. The club want to appease the fans a tad by saying 'well we got a world record fee' and Liverpool will make their fans feel good by saying 'well we paid a world record fee'

Its what is in the books that the VAT and tax is eventually paid that really counts, not what is put out in the media. Saying that I think the club do get decent prices for the players, but from my standpoint when clubs have gone for Everton players they have made it very difficult ,wheras I get the perception that clbs don't believe it when we say a player is not for sale

Everton are no better than us at hanging on to their star players when big clubs come calling, nor do they get better prices. Of course we say they aren't for sale. Chapter 1, page 1 of selling anything for a good price - "It's not for sale"

I have heard from a source connected to Saints (Sponsers of Football League in Kenya) that Hughes is 80% likely to get the job, but Les Reed and W have shortlisted another manager like MoPe and MoPo but the plans are being re-buffed from above them. Odd

I have heard from a source connected to Saints (Sponsers of Football League in Kenya) that Hughes is 80% likely to get the job, but Les Reed and W have shortlisted another manager like MoPe and MoPo but the plans are being re-buffed from above them. Odd

:lol:

Is that your real name pal - sure you're not from Nigeria instead? Ticks for getting the continent right, though :lol:

I don't care so much about who next seasons manager is. It's the squad that needs an overhaul. Not sure why people are so desperate to lock down someone that got 8 points in 8 games, but it doesn't matter who the manager is with our current players. Investment needed or we're set for another lower half finish at best.

A high proportion of those games were top six, including the champions. Hughes started from ground zero with a team devoid of tactical direction and leadership.

He had to find out who had the mental strength and skills required to stay up, none of those players were his. He had the enormously untalented Carillo to call on and the incredibly rude, arrogant none team player Boufal that were not available.

The tactics had to be completely changed to suit the players he did have to

Choose from and Hughes had to make the players understand the new philosophy. Hughes was effective in doing all this as well as distinctly improving the whole performance of the team not to mention the also the players individually.

I really do not believe many people could have walked in and galvanised the players and tackled all the other issues so well ....

Mark Hughes has a passion to succeed, a bonding with the fans, respect from the players (which is quite different from being ‘liked’ by the players!) and the skills to recognise which of his players should be selected, his mind is not on a railway track when it comes to tactics Mark Hughes has therefore demonstrated fully all the assets you need to make it work at Saints.

Oh and I don’t think for one minute he will be pushed around by any crap directors or ‘Goalkeeping’ coaches !

God forbid that we waste more money on a ‘Mate’ of a coach in Hart who is Forster in disguise...

Hughes has done a very good job in the time and ticks a lot of boxes - give him credit....

Edited by captainchris

Don't get me wrong I think Cortese and Reed had very similar approaches to transfers

If players didn't want to be here and couldnt see the vision I think both were happy to part ways with players.

Let's compare.....

Cortese

Chamberlin

Reed

Lallana (captain)

Mopo

Koeman

Shaw

Morgan

Wanyama

Mane

Jay

Koeman

VVD (captain)

Lovren

Lambert

Clyne

Cork

Chambers

Fonte (captain)

Pelle

Cortese did a good job of creating a positive vision for the club, where everyone believed we were going to keep progressing up and up, players were willing to stay with us for the ride and we had the funds to outspend those around us in the table.

But there came a point where Kat said she wasn't going to provide the funds to take us to the next level (above about 6th really) and so that vision became unsustainable. The vision for the club had to change and the best way to get players in that were above our natural level was the stepping stone strategy

A high proportion of those games were top six, including the champions. Hughes started from ground zero with a team devoid of tactical direction and leadership.

He had to find out who had the mental strength and skills required to stay up, none of those players were his. He had the enormously untalented Carillo to call on and the incredibly rude, arrogant none team player Boufal that were not available.

The tactics had to be completely changed to suit the players did have to

Choose from and Hughes had to make the players understand the new philosophy as well as demotivate them. Hughes was effective in doing all this as well as distinctly improving the whole performance of the team and also players individually.

I really do not believe many people could have walked in and galvanised the players and all the other issues so well ....

Mark Hughes has a passion to succeed, a bonding with the fans, respect from the players (which is quite different from being ‘liked’ by the players!) and the skills to recognise which of his players should be selected, his mind is not on a railway track when it comes to tactics Mark Hughes has therefore demonstrated fully all the assets you need to make it work at Saints.

Oh and I don’t think for one minute he will be pushed around by any crap directors or ‘Goalkeeping’ coaches lol...

God forbid that we waste more money on a ‘Mate’ of a coach in Hart who is Forster in disguise...

Hughes has done a very good job in the time and ticks a lot of boxes give him credit....

Hughes reminds me a bit of Pearson, taking over from Dodd and Gorman in 2008. Whilst his results were nothing incredible (I think we were something like 13th in the form table during Pearson's tenure) there was a marked difference in attitude, organisation and application compared to the previous regime. Getting any sort of result or performance from a team as hopeless as we were, without any time or money, takes character.

Edited by Lighthouse

Just looked at the odds for next managers.

All look formalities. Arteta to Arsenal, Silva to Everton, Pellegrini to West Ham, Hughes to Saints quadruple wouldn’t net you much.

Moyes to Stoke - lol

Let's compare.....

Cortese

Chamberlin

Reed

Lallana (captain)

Mopo

Koeman

Shaw

Morgan

Wanyama

Mane

Jay

Koeman

VVD (captain)

Lovren

Lambert

Clyne

Cork

Chambers

Fonte (captain)

Pelle

I guess you believe all of those would have stayed if NC had stayed, he would have said "I'm not selling any of you so don't ask"

and they would have replied

"Yes boss, whatever you want ".

And that would've been that and we would have won the champions league

I guess you believe all of those would have stayed if NC had stayed, he would have said "I'm not selling any of you so don't ask"

and they would have replied

"Yes boss, whatever you want ".

And that would've been that and we would have won the champions league

Continuing to humour him I see

All look formalities. Arteta to Arsenal, Silva to Everton, Pellegrini to West Ham, Hughes to Saints quadruple wouldn’t net you much.

Moyes to Stoke - lol

One of those where you're not really sure who you feel sorry for.

Is that your real name pal - sure you're not from Nigeria instead? Ticks for getting the continent right, though :lol:

SportPesa are sponsers of Kenya Premier League pal and based in Kenya, have links to Arsenal, Everton and Saints. Think you need to change your name from Shurlock.

SportPesa are sponsers of Kenya Premier League pal and based in Kenya, have links to Arsenal, Everton and Saints. Think you need to change your name from Shurlock.

No, your name okereke pal. My meaning was as clear as a savannah sky.

What you on about, pal? Your heads gone. Yet again, passing on valuable information and people question my roots. Odd.

Try getting your backstory straight first sunshine before playing ITK. A baby gazelle learns to walk before it can run.

Try getting your backstory straight first sunshine before playing ITK. A baby gazelle learns to walk before it can run.

What's my back story, please enlighten me. That i'm half British, Half Kenya. Or do you know me better than myself. Odd.

Moyes to Stoke - lol

Arteta to Arsenal seems odd to me. Surely the Arsenal fans would be expecting a more experienced manager, so seems a big gamble and a lot to ask for a manager raking his first job. Still wouldn’t be surprised if they have someone else lined up.

Really? Well this new info from Africa certainly stirs the pot of intrigue.

Really? Well this new info from Africa certainly stirs the pot of intrigue.

Since when did gossip emanate first in Kenya, prior to UK or even China, not to mention Russian hacking??? Really? There's wannabees and there's .......

If after Mr. Fits like a Glove comments, Hughes does not get appointed, it's because he turned us down, and that's the time to be concerned - not when some random Kenyan who has just emerged posts. BTW, I am Kenyan by birth, and no Kenyan would refer to themselves as "half British and half Kenya"

Yeah, not really stir anything. Hughes is 80% done. Love and Light.

Well the the Les and Ralph trying to appoint the new Mopo/Mope but being rebuffed from above stuff is new info for me and is intriguing to say the least. Hints at a power struggle. Hopefully It ends in Hughes being appointed but 20% leaves a lot of room for doubt.

Since when did gossip emanate first in Kenya, prior to UK or even China, not to mention Russian hacking??? Really? There's wannabees and there's .......

If after Mr. Fits like a Glove comments, Hughes does not get appointed, it's because he turned us down, and that's the time to be concerned - not when some random Kenyan who has just emerged posts. BTW, I am Kenyan by birth, and no Kenyan would refer to themselves as "half British and half Kenya"

Well i just did, sorry.

Chris Froome?

We've got a mongboarder digitally blacking himself up, pretending to be Kenyan, having selected himself a Nigerian name.

#firstworldproblems

We've got a mongboarder digitally blacking himself up, pretending to be Kenyan, having selected himself a Nigerian name.

#firstworldproblems

So is Ekon Okereke a Kenyan name? Looks Nigerian to me..

Edit : Snap

Interesting Story behind this, but this a football forum so I'll leave that story to me and my family. If you so wish send me a twitter and i can fill you in. As for you shurlock, you seem abit daft. I'd go for a name change, nothing like Sherlock.

Interesting Story behind this, but this a football forum so I'll leave that story to me and my family. If you so wish send me a twitter and i can fill you in. As for you shurlock, you seem abit daft. I'd go for a name change, nothing like Sherlock.

Still blagging it Hypo